Roommates

No Kookie Without the Suga
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s six in the morning when Yoongi’s alarm goes off. He slaps his hand over his phone, automatically tapping the snooze button. He lays in bed for a few more minutes, rubbing the grit out of his eyes. The alarm starts up again, huffing in annoyance, he turns the alarm off completely. Yoongi sits up and stretches, startled slightly by the mop of hair he sees on the arm of his couch through the open bedroom door. Right, the kid. How could he have forgotten? He sighs while making his way to his closet to pick out clothes for the boy and himself before going to the bathroom and taking a quick shower. Leaving the bathroom and walking into the living room, he gently lays the clothes on the boy’s legs with no reaction whatsoever. He grins slightly- the boy is a heavy sleeper.

Yoongi makes his way to the kitchen, eager to start cooking a light breakfast. He grins once again when he hears the couch shift as the smell of food wafts around the apartment. “Morning, sunshine! Go change into the clothes I left for you and I’ll have you a plate by the time you get back. There should be an extra toothbrush in the bottom drawer in the bathroom.” Jungkook silently nodded as he carried the clothes with him to the bathroom. Emerging a few minutes later, he slumped down into one of the chairs at the kitchen table and watched Yoongi place a plate full of food in front of him. Perking up at the sight of the sizeable omelette, he quietly thanked his hyung and dug straight in. Yoongi sat down and watched the growing boy eat whilst starting on his own breakfast.

“Well Kook, I still don’t have any idea what to do with you. The weather is going to continue to be bad today. I have a full day of work at the factory, so I want you to stay here until I get back tonight. There’s ramen and other quick fixes in the cabinet, help yourself. You can watch whatever you want, I have my streaming service already logged in, do whatever. Just don’t leave the apartment, don’t open the door for anyone and absolutely under no circumstances set anything on fire, alright?” Jungkook nods happily and shoots his hyung a lazy salute, mouth too full to reply. Yoongi rolls his eyes with a smile and scoots his chair back to grab a beanie to cover his red hair. “I’ll be back around 6, ok? I have a key, so don’t open the door. I’ll bring dinner with me. Have fun.” He ruffles the kid’s hair once more and runs out the door, jumping onto his motorcycle as he is running later than usual, and speeds off.

 Lunch that day consisted of a soda and a pack of sandwich crackers for Yoongi. He was sitting at a table, alone, with a notebook and a pen. He was calculating his finances: his estimated expenses, his expected income, his savings. Sighing, he estimated the cost of adding another mouth to feed, another body to clothe, another person to care for. If he dials back some on the quick fix takeout meals, starts shopping strictly at second-hand stores and watches for sales at the grocery stores, he could probably make it work. Sighing again and scrubbing his face with his hands, he jumps up off his chair and knocks on his boss’ door. Hearing the invitation, he walks into the room and closes the door nervously.

 “Mr. Min, what a pleasant surprise. What can I do for you?” Yoongi takes a deep breath and glances once again at the notebook in his hands.

“Sir, I am in a little bit of a predicament. I came across a kid last night, he’s only seventeen. He's been living on the streets for three months, both of his parents died about a year ago- he’s got nobody. I don’t know what else to do with him, I have no choice but to let him stay with me. I can’t just dump him back out on the streets, you know? Well, I uh, was wondering if there was any more overtime, any positions that possibly pay more, anything I could do for a little extra money so we won’t be stretched so thin? I mean, I think I can make it work but it’ll be pushing it.” He is now pacing the room, running his recently-removed beanie through his hands nervously. His boss huffs out a laugh, shaking his head.          

“Mr. Min, I don’t think I’ve heard you say that much to anyone the entire time you’ve worked for me. Take a breath, have a seat!" He points to a chair in front of his desk. "Yes, I understand. What you’re doing is very admirable. I’m sad to say this, but I cannot give you any extra overtime; you already get as much as the company allows every week.” Yoongi’s head bows in defeat, his eyes taking in the scuffs on his steel-toed work boots. “I can, however, request that you be given a pay rise. You have only been here for two years but in those years you have proven to be one of the best workers I have ever had. You’re always on time, you’ve never missed a day and you always step up to do whatever is asked of you! I will put in a special circumstances request with my boss and let you know what we can do. I’m confident he’ll see things my way when he reads your record. If that doesn’t work out, we’ll figure out something else, alright? Keep up the good work. You’re going to go places with that work ethic.”

Yoongi released a large breath of air he didn’t realize he was holding, smiling gratefully at his boss, and bowing as low as possible. “Thank you, sir. Thank you very much! I will continue to do my best!” He took his leave with a big smile on his face and returned to his table, thanking God that he has been such a hard worker for the past few years.

Meanwhile, back at the apartment, Jungkook had finished his breakfast and cleaned up the dirty dishes. Taking advantage of the fact that he was now alone, he began to poke around. Nothing unusual in the kitchen- just the normal things you would expect anyone else to have. Glancing at the fridge, he saw a picture of Yoongi-hyung with two other males, they were sitting in chairs in what appeared to be a recording studio. One much taller with broader shoulders, the other with a glowing smile with long arms slung over both the other men. They were all smiling. Under the picture was the only other personal item on the fridge- this picture was of a little boy with a huge gummy smile. He was standing behind a cake with a man and woman standing on either side of him who Jungkook assumes are his parents, some friends or siblings squeezed in around the edges of the picture too. Scanning the background, Jungkook notices the extravagance of what he believes to be the home Yoongi grew up in. If this is the life he had, why does he now live in a tiny apartment and work at a factory? Jungkook shrugged, thinking of his own circumstances. He never would have foreseen himself living in the streets but here he is now, doing it for the past three months. You never know what circumstances life may throw at you.

Moving to the living room, he skimmed through the bookshelves and entertainment center. Most of the books are about music and the creation/production of music. There are some manga and comic books, but just random issues that look like they were impulsively bought. In the entertainment center, Jungkook recognizes various genres of movies and music. They had similar tastes.

Next, he wanders into the bedroom- he had already nosed around in the bathroom the night before. He looks around slowly, this is where the fun would be. If anything was to be hidden, this is where it would probably be. He quickly but carefully opened the closet, finding nothing of significance. He walked over to the small desk with a few drawers that contained an older-model laptop that had once been top-of-the-line. Jungkook continued searching the drawers, finding more pictures and lots of scribbled sentences which, on closer inspection, look like poems.

Pulling out the pictures first, he swiftly sifts through them and keeps seeing the same two males from the picture on the refrigerator with Yoongi in various settings. Sometimes Yoongi is smiling, other times only his eyes are smiling. He can see that his hyung isn’t one to show emotion often and he can appreciate that. Being too open can hurt, he knows that now. Jungkook doesn’t see any more pictures of the family, only of the two men and Yoongi. He puts the pictures to the side and starts scanning the poems, finding some with scratched-in notations

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter