Hanging notes - michaeng

To All the Girls I've Loved Before

mina's musical piece : https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=11&v=N22c3_8gL4Q

--

 

Chaeyoung didn’t find Nayeon after the older girl disappeared with her bike and the box. The girl refused to answer her calls, her texts, nothing, and the short girl didn’t know where her step sister could be at. One thing was sure : if she read the letter to Jeongyeon, she was sure she would get killed in her sleep. 

 

But it didn’t happen. She woke up alive, nothing missing from her body, her room still messy like the day before. She slowly left her bed, wandered around her room and banged her head against the wall when she remembered what happened the day before. 

 

« Ouch, ouch, ouch, . » she muttered to herself before opening the blinds of her windows. 

 

Today was the day she was moving to college. Her room still looked like a storm passed by it, her stuff was not ready, and she was in a panicked state because of 5 letters she knew were not going to be read by anyone beside Nayeon and maybe, Jeongyeon. What worse could happen ? 

 

She took a quick shower and began to take care of her baggage. She didn’t mind skipping breakfast but could clearly hear Tzuyu scolding her if she could see her. She smiled at the thought. Her best friend had left the evening before already, and chaeyoung was thrilled to meet up with her later today. College was going to be a great experience. 

 

Her father dropped her at the university around 9:30am : he couldn’t stay long, and Chaeyoung hugged him one last time before waving cheerfully as his car got out of her sight. A nice guy who was passing by, named Jun, offered his help. She gladly accepted, her tiny body not capable of taking all the boxes in one go. The guy gave her his number before he left ; she threw the paper in a trashcan as soon as he disappeared around the corner. No more guys needed now.

 

After leaving the boxes in her dorm room, Chaeyoung called Tzuyu, so that they could meet up later for lunch. It was only 10am, and Chaeyoung decided to wander around campus a bit. It was not her first time here, but she had nothing else to do, and she was already looking forward to meeting new people ; going outside was the best idea to run into some nice students. 

 

The first thing she noticed when she left her building was the biggest auditorium of the campus, only a few meters ahead. With chance, she thought, she could meet some theater kids or even band members. 

 

What she did not expect, was to hear the soft notes of an instrument she could recognize between many : a violin.

 

She opened the door very softly and as soon as her foot stepped inside, the music suddenly intensified. The sound turned from soft and calm to frenetic, fast, excited with much quicker movements. Mesmerized, Her gaze fixated on the figure standing on the stage, she took a sit close to the door she used to come inside. The sound was great, and the musician, definitely talented, or hard working. Or both.

 

She could feel the intense emotion the piece was supposed to communicate to the listeners. She felt distress, a sense of loneliness, anger also. The movement of the musician were quick, done with a lot of precision. It reached a point when she felt like she was in the middle of a violent battle, until everything calmed down. 

 

Only one person had ever made her feel that way in her life. And as she focused more on the silhouette staring alone in the middle of the stage, she knew she was right. It was her. 

 

Mina. 

 

She whispered her name and felt her heart miss a beat when it resonated a bit too loudly in the empty room and reached the musician’s ears. The Japanese woman turned her head towards the short girl, and smiled as she reached that one intense part again. Chaeyoung felt like the girl was staring right into her soul, their gazes fixated on each other. 

 

The woman was wearing a light white dress, her hair up on a ponytail. The bright red loops on her ears were the only contrasting colors with the environment.

 

She felt… out of this world. Like the two of them had entered a private bubble made of sounds, light, and short breaths. Mina was sweating from the effort but didn’t loose any of her effervescence. Chaeyoung was feeling like something was pulling her towards the musician ; she didn’t know what, and she didn’t care. She got up from her seat and and gulped when Mina took a few steps closer to the end of the stage. 

 

She always thought classical music was uninteresting until she saw Mina perform. And the second time was even better than the first one. Probably because she was alone this time. Because she felt close to Mina, even if they were total strangers. 

 

Her trance broke when Mina hit the final note. Only the heavy breaths of the musician could be heard in the room, and they shared a smile, when the situation finally hit Chaeyoung. She was in front of one of the most talented women she had ever met, a musical prodigy, someone way out of her league. Chaeyoung opened today something, anything, but nothing came out. She could only gape at the way the musician’s eyes were still staring at her. 

 

« Tell me if I’m wrong, but haven’t we met already…? » she hadn’t noticed Mina had come closer to her. 

 

« I, yes, we, uh - I gotta go. » and the short girl dashed out of the auditorium as fast as she could. 

 

She bumped into a trash can, almost got hit by a biker, and dropped her phone twice. What had just happened ? Did she really just share a strong bonding moment with one of her former crushes ? What the hell was the musician doing in a Korean university anyway ?!

 

She stopped near a fountain to take a breath. It was too much to take in. Mina, in the same place as her ? For a few years, probably ? No no, that couldn’t be happening. It was unrealistic and - and now she was lost in that brand new place - 

 

« Chaeyoung ? » 

 

She froze. god. She knew that voice. She slowly lifted her head ; she knew that bright blonde hair, too. That pretty smile and the wide eyes. This cute laugh and this perfume - 

 

« Chaeyoung ! It really is you, oh my god ! How long has it been ? Three years ? do you still have the pics we took together ? » the cutest cheerful voice she had ever heard, resonating in her ears again. 

 

She felt her legs turn into jelly. Sana.