intro

To All the Girls I've Loved Before

« Tzuyu ! Have you seen a small pink box, heart shaped, somewhere in the house ? » Chaeyoung shouted form her room, voice filled with worry. She punched her pillow when her friend answered with a negation. This box was precious, even more precious than her own life. 

 

It contained letters, 5 in total, for all the girl she had loved before. 

 

The first one was for a girl she met at dance camp when she was 9. A really sweet girl called Momo, who was on vacation in Korea, but was from Japan. The girl got assigned as her roommate, and they shared many Japanese snacks during the night when they were not allowed to, sneaked out, thaught each other swear words in their own languages. Momo was the one who lit her passion for dancing ; she had spent 2 amazing weeks looking in awe at the older girl’s moves, but had lost contact a few weeks after the camp ended. Bright red envelope.

 

The second one was addressed to her ‘rolling buddy’, Jihyo. The two girls had met the day Chaeyoung got to choose which rollerblades she wanted for her 12th birthday. Jihyo was in the store, choosing new wheels for her skateboard, and had overheard Chaeyoung worry about not being good enough and her fear of falling while using the rollers. She had offered her help : she could meet up with Chayeoung every Wednesday if she was available, to take some lessons with her. Chayeoung had agreed right away. But Jihyo moved town a year later, and Chaeyoung didn’t keep contact with her either. Gold dust envelope, and a cute skateboard sticker.

 

The third one had suffered a sudden attack from her dog, and had a corner bitten. It was addressed to a girl named Mina, or the girl Chaeyoung never got to talk to. She saw her for the first and last time at a violin recital she had attended after Tzuyu had asked her to go to. The Japanese musician had made Chaeyoung feel so many emotions, she was sure the girl was a goddess. She had only caught her name, and an eye contact, before never hearing about her again. Simple white envelope and a tiny drawing of a violin.

 

The fourth envelope was soft blue, shining stickers of gold stars everywhere. It was for another Japanese girl named Sana (Chaeyoung was starting to think she had a problem with Japan) ; her first photography model. Chaeyoung loved taking pictures, and met Sana at an art exhibit. One thing led to another, and they decided to have a little photoshoot together. The pics were still on Chaeyoung’s wall : they had found a very nice spot, a colorful and bright bar that had made Sana and her blond hair look ethereal. But Chaeyoung broke her phone a few days later, and never managed to find anything that could link to Sana again. 

 

The fifth and last letter was for her long time best friend and neighbor, Jeongyeon. It took her time to realize she had loved the girl, only hitting her when the feeling left her. When Jeongyeon began to date her step sister, Nayeon. when she left for college, leaving her alone with Tzuyu as her only friend in the neighbor. The moment she loved and treasured the most was when she dyed her hair pink. It immediately became her favorite color. Hence the pinkish envelope. 

 

But right now, the box she had put all the letters in had disappeared. If anyone found it, it would be the end for her. She heard Tzuyu come into the room, and tried to keep her cool. 

 

« What’s up with you ? It’s just a box. What was inside, anyway ? » 

 

Chaeyoung was going to answer when she heard a bell ring outside. She jumped towards her window and let out a shriek as she saw Nayeon, smiling widely on her bike, waving the box around. The short girl sprinted outside the house and ran after her step sister, yelling obscenities. 

 

however, her speed couldn’t match a bike’s. She even tripped, fell knees first and felt the impact in her whole body. As she let herself breath, she could only see Nayeon in the distance with a blurry vision, her eyes filled by tears. She knew Nayeon could be a , but not that much. 

 

But nothing felt worse than seeing the 5 girls one by one, on her first day of college.