first steps - mochaeng

To All the Girls I've Loved Before

Chaeyoung stayed still, a hand squeezing her keys, the other one on the door knob, as pretty brown eyes she could recognize anywhere stared back at her. Momo had changed, that was for sure. Chaeyoung was only 9 and the Japanese girl 11 when they first met, after all. The shorter girl was gapping like a fish. 

 

She was screwed, that was sure. Her 4 former crushes in the same school as her, with one living only a few steps away. Problems : they were all hot, sweet and as awesome as she remembered. 

 

She was going to turn around to face her own door when someone gently grabbed her arm. 

 

« Hey, Chaeyoung, right ? » Momo was looking at her with a found smile, the door of her room wide open, only her right foot holding it open. « dancing camp, 10 years ago ? It’s crazy to see you here. I mean- » she let go of the younger girl’s arm. « it must be weirder for you. It’s no surprise that you’re attending an art university in Korea. But for me…! » 

 

The older girl chuckled a bit awkwardly, but Chaeyoung was delighted. it was like Momo had barely changed. She was still speaking to her with a soft tone that made her want to take care of the older girl, she still had her fidgeting habits when she was excited about something. Chaeyoung simply nodded, not knowing if Momo wanted to end their discussion here or not -

 

« Why don’t you come in for a minute ? I brought snacks from Japan with me ! I think there might be some of the ones you liked the most back at the camp. » the Japanese girl nodded towards the door and extended a hand in Chaeyoung’s direction. The shorter girl gently put her own inside in the other girl’s palm ; it reminded her of one of the dance moves they learned together at the camp.

 

A few snacks and a chat with an old friend would do no harm, right ? 

 

 

It did some harm. 

 

Chaeyoung was laying on Momo’s bed, had been there for a couple of hours now. The older girl was snuggling against her back, arms locked around her waist. She let go of the older girl’s hands on her stomach to check the time on her phone, and sighed at the multiple notifications from Tzuyu. She had promised her best friend to meet her up at the end of the day, but spent it with Momo instead. 

 

It had started simply enough, they had opened a few snacks and shared them while chatting about what happened during their time away from each other. Momo had told Chaeyoung about her wish to go back and study in Korea, how hard she had worked for it, and had smiled really widely when the short girl had commented how proud she was of her. 

 

The Korean girl had spoken about her never disappearing passion for drawing and photography, her hobbies like dancing and rollerblading, her particular discovery of classical music and had ralised halfway that she had been indirectly speaking about the 3 girls she had met earlier during the day. She had slowly stopped speaking, and Momo had given her a slightly worried look. 

 

They had talked some more, until Momo had suddenly got up and put some music on. She had offered a hand once again, and Chaeyoung accepted, again. She couldn’t focus on the music at all as her dance mentor slowly initiated a slow dance, putting Chaeyoung on a half aware state. 

 

it had seemed that time had slowed down, until Momo got closer to Chaeyoung’s face and whisper into her ear. 

 

« I think… I think I ate some snack with alcohol, Chae. I feel dizzy… » 

 

The shorter girl had panicked a bit and forced Momo to sit down, before the older girl pulled her with her on the bed. She didn’t dare say anything as her friend got comfortable and fell asleep in a matter of minutes. 

 

And now Chaeyoung was stuck there, with an empty and growling stomach, and a strong urge to leave this place. She wasn’t feeling bad  about staying with Momo like that, she was just hungry and tired, 2 things she couldn’t take care of if she stayed in the older girl’s arms. So she carefully grabbed her arms and slide away from her grasp, left a message on the bedside table, thanking her unnie about the snacks and the good time she had during the afternoon. 

 

She carefully closed the door, shooting a last look at her first childhood role model. 

 

She decided to go out. It was late, but not late enough for restaurants or fast food to be closed. She shivered when she stepped inside, instantly regretting leaving her jacket inside her room. She walked straight, where she knew she would find a good place Jeongyeon and talked about multiple times. She greeted the few students outside and ordered a meal. 

 

She almost wasted all of her food when someone opened the door as she was going to, but her quick reflexes managed to save everything. She was about to cuss at the rude stranger when she heard a small laugh she had dreamed to hear for a few days now. She looked up at Jeongyeon with a full smile : the evening was going to be as good as her day.