I

Tangled

Looking between his mother who was absently looking at her plate and his father who was checking emails on his phone, Minki knew now was as good time as any to bring it up.

He cleared his throat to get his parents’ attention and when they looked up at him, he said,

“So… My birthday’s in a week.”

His parents didn’t respond, just nodded in acknowledgement.

“How should we celebrate it?” Minki went on. It wasn’t exactly how he’d been planning to ask, but in the last moment anxiousness got the best out of him and he swerved into the safer option, rather than the rehearsed sentence he’d had.

“However you want, sweetie,” his mom said with a gentle smile.

His father agreed with a nod and glanced back down at his phone.

“So then,” Minki said and did his best to keep his voice from trembling, “A club or something?”

This got back his father’s attention and his mother sighed. Before they could input a response, he continued in a rambly manner,

“I just thought—because I’ve celebrated every other birthday at home, maybe it’s time to change it up a bit? Just this once, it’s my 18th, it’s kind of a big deal, so I thought—“

“Minki.” The tone was sharp and cold. Minki didn’t dare meet his father’s gaze.

His mom reached for him but he pulled his hands away. “Sweetie, you know you can’t. We have that rule for your own safety.”

Minki was making intense eye contact with his fried rice and kimchi. He didn’t want to look at either of his parents. “It’ll be fine. I’m older now, I can handle myself. I won’t die if I have one party—“

“Watch your language,” his father cut in and Minki shut up.

“We just can’t risk it,” his mom took over in a soothing tone. “Remember when you fainted on Hwang Minhyun’s birthday party?”

“I was ten,” Minki tried.

“We just don’t think that kind of environment is good for you,” his mom explained. “We’d rather you celebrate here, where you’re safe.”

“But—“

“That’s enough!” His father snapped, meaning that this time the discussion truly was over. “We can do it like every year or not do it at all and that’s the end of it.”

Minki didn’t respond. He shrunk into himself and stared at his unfinished food, waiting until his father was out of the room to move at all.

“I’m sorry, love,” his mom said but he ignored it.

He said goodbye and went to get his things.

As he went to the front door Minki reminded himself that his house was pretty large and that hosting a party there wouldn’t be bad at all.

There was only one problem; he didn’t have many friends and was always supervised. He tried not to let it get to him. He wanted to be grateful and make the best of what he had. But even so he couldn’t help being upset. Mainly because the way things were was mostly his parents fault.

Of course he fainted in big crowds and had panic attacks in small spaced when he was hardly allowed to go out. He’d started going to a public school only a year before college and it was hell on earth because he needed to get used to so many things. It was infuriating that his parents were using these arguments against him when it was their fault for Minki being this way in the first place.

Well... Not entirely, of course. The source of their infinite worry was Minki’s poor health. During his childhood he’d encountered so many problems, it all starting with him nearly dying at birth. Fast forward eighteen years and his parents hardly let him go out for anything other than school.

It was maddening.

Even when he went to school he wasn’t on his own. As if his peers didn’t have enough reasons to hate him already, he had to be the only kid arriving to college in an Aston Martin Vanquish Zagato that he didn’t even drive. No, he had a chauffeur /butler/nanny. It did come in handy at times, however it wasn’t giving him the best reputation amongst people who already avoided him for being the son of the CEO of Pledis Entertainment.

You’d think it would gain him popularity, but no. Everyone assumed he was a spoiled brat without even trying to become friends with him, just to see if it was true.

To lessen the bad influence his way of life had on his reputation, Minki had made an agreement with his chauffeur – he would be dropped off near the Starbucks by the campus so he could get a coffee on his own and walk the remaining way.

It was the most freedom he got and it made him look like a normal person.

It was a routine he’d accepted and gotten used to.

What wasn’t a part of his daily routine was the headless weirdo running into him at full speed.

There was Minki, miserable after putting on a smile for the kind barista at Starbucks, making his way to class while deep in thought. Were he a cartoon character there would have been a dark, rainy cloud over his head.

When suddenly someone slams into him and knocks him onto his . The hot coffee on his skin may not have been the worst thing, the worst thing was the coffee on his new white shirt.

Minki felt like screaming.

He looked up and met eyes with the most beautiful stranger. Black bangs messily falling into his eyes, high and prominent cheekbones, sharp jaw line, a hint of a dimple, rosy lips parted as he gasped for air.

“WATCH WHERE YOU’RE GOING,” Minki yelled at him.

The stranger took Minki by the shoulders and pulled him up with impossible ease. “I’m sorry, I’m so sorry, I’m kind of in a rush—Ouch, that’s bad,” he added when he saw the coffee stain.

Minki shoved him away and looked down at his shirt, his beautiful white shirt—

“I’m sorry, it’s totally my fault,” the other was rambling. “But I really really need to go.” He took off his leather jacket and threw it to Minki, before running away. “I owe you a coffee!” He yelled on his way.

 

The pro of having his own chauffeur was that he could ask for a change of clothes when needed. Some ordinary college student would be stuck with a coffee stain and some guy’s leather jacket to cover it the entire day.

This way, Minki had a brand new shirt after his first lesson and could start looking for the black haired guy to give back the hideous thing.

Minki didn’t see him until his break. He spotted him on the grass with a small group of friends. They were laughing about something; the black haired guy without his jacket was left in a white sleeveless shirt with a few chains around his neck.

Minki didn’t let himself be distracted. He stomped over and dropped the leather jacket over his head.

It took him a moment to collect himself and get the jacket off of his head, turn around and see who was standing behind him.

As soon as he spotted Minki the smile returned. “Blondie!”

In a matter of seconds Minki’s confidence and anger dissolved and heat rose to his cheeks. It was odd, really, for years he’d worn his hair long and blonde and yet the nickname had never come up before.

Seeing Minki’s expression, the guy assumed he was confused rather than flustered so he said, “I didn’t exactly catch your name when I ran into you this morning.”

“I—“ Minki cleared his throat and straightened up. “Well I only came to return this so I’ll be leaving now.” He turned around trying to quickly pace away.

But as he did, he heard footsteps and a voice,

“Blondie, wait!”

Minki felt his hand being grabbed and he stopped in his tracks, yanking his hand from the grip. “What do you think you’re doing?” He snapped and swung around.

The guy raised his arms. “Hey, we’re good. I was just going to say; I still owe you a coffee.”

“Oh no, it’s okay. I got another one myself.” Minki tried to walk away again.

“Wait, wait,” the guy side stepped and blocked Minki’s path. He suddenly seemed hesitant. “Your shirt... It seemed expensive.”

Minki’s shoulders relaxed as he realized what the concern was. “I’m not gonna make you pay for it,” he deadpanned. “Seriously, it’s fine.”

The smile returned right as Minki said this. “Alright, good. Cause a coffee is all I can afford.”

Minki averted his gaze in thought. The guy seemed sorry enough, he wanted to make up for the incident. “I might take you up on that coffee though.”

Minki swore that smile was brighter than the sun.

“Great! After class?”

Minki just nodded to confirm.

“The name’s Jonghyun, by the way.”

Minki didn’t respond to this. He just gave another nod and pushed past the other. That time he wasn’t stopped.

“Can I know yours?” Jonghyun called after him.

Minki kept walking.

“Blondie it is!”

As soon as he was out of sight, Minki ran.