Two

Eternity

After spending one whole week in hospital and following next week in home having bed rest , he was finally allowed to resume his classes. Never in his life had he felt so happy to return back to school like he was now. He had  missed his friends so much and although he would never admit it aloud , he had missed his teachers too. 

Excitement rushed through his veins as soon as his eyes fell upon the view of  familiar building. Without further delay , he greeted the uniformed guard standing behind the open gate and entered inside. 

The surrounding inside had changed a lot. Last time he was here , the playground had been barren , now it was covered by thin blanket of green grass and the tress that lined up the pavement seemed to have gained new life. He smiled , inhaling the fresh morning air and continued to walk towards his class. 

When he pushed open the door of his classroom only emptiness greeted him back. Taehyung sighted and dumped his backpack on his usual seat , glancing at his wrist watch. 

" It's still too early. What should I do ? " 

Mumbling to himself , Tae ped his backpack and pulled out earphone from the tiny inner pocket. He then plugged the earphones into one end of his mobile phone and played his all time favourite song , humming along the lyrics. 

The song had nearly ended when the loud bang of door startled him causing him to nearly drop the device . He glared at his friends who were now  fighting over the only spare seat besides him like bunch of untamed animals and tucked the mobile safely inside his pocket. 

Irritated by the loud noise , Tae stood up quietly without being noticed by anyone and walked out of the room. Just as he had stepped out and took a seat on the wooden bench , his eyes fell upon a figure standing on the school's rooftop. The figure suddenly climbed the metal railing and seemed to be looking down at the ground. Taehyung couldn't pry his eyes away from the strange boy. To his horror, the boy's right foot slipped , he was now dangling in the air, one hand gripping the metal bar as tight as possible. 

Without waisting further seconds , Tae sprinted towards the rooftop as fast as his legs could bear. His heart was beating rapidly inside his chest, scared that something might happen to that student. Hastily , he climbed the staircase that lead him to the rooftop and pushed open the closed door ,frantically searching for the boy. 

No, no, no , no 

The student couldn't bear his body weight anymore.  Taehyung rushed forward to help but , it was already too late . He fell down on his knees, panic rushed  back inside his mind , a  bone chilling sensation ran down his spine causing goosebumps to arise on his skin. With shaky hands he gripped his hair and stood up , moving towards the railing , dreading the worst case scenario he had to face. He exhaled the breath he had been holding,  heavily , painfully and very slowly casted his eyes down. 

Huh ? Why is no one down there ? Where is the boy I just saw ? 

" Oi , student ! What are you doing up there ? Don't you know that it's a prohibited area ! " 

Someone was shouting at him but his  mind was too invested in the earlier events that he didn't even hear a word. 

" Oi ! Do you want to die ? ! MOVE AWAY FROM THERE ! " 

Huh 

Taehyung finally came back to his senses , unconsciously he had climbed the railing and was about to jump down . If it wasn't for the loud voice warning him , he would have probably ended up on the hospital bed again . He looked down to see multiple pair of eyes gazing at him some with fear , some with worry and the rest with wonder. 

Why are they looking at me like that ? Did they think I was going to commit suicide or something ? 

Shaking his head Taehyung moved away from the danger zone and hurried downstairs , coming face to face with his teacher. 

" Mr. Kim Taehyung " The older man seemed quite surprised. He shook his head , disappointment painted all over his wrinkled face. 

  " You are one of the smartest student in my class ,  I wasn't expecting such reckless behavior from you. Why did you breach the school's rule ? " 

" I'm sorry sir " 

" That doesn't answer my question ,Mr. Kim " 

" It wasn't my intention to break the rules , sir. But someone needed my help " 

" Who needed your help ? " 

Though Taehyung was saying the truth ,the teacher wasn't convinced with his words. His doubtful gaze was still casted over the student. 

" I don't know their name but I saw them dangling from the raili---- " 

" Do you think I'm stupid? " 

" No sir " 

" Then why are you making such nonsense excuses ? If you were really there helping someone out where is that person ? " 

The teacher turned his attention to other students who were watching the whole scene from below. 

" Was there anyone on the rooftop besides Mr. Kim ? " 

Everybody shook their head no. 

" What do you have to say now ? " 

Why are you interrogating me as if I am some kind of criminal ? Is it crime to help someone ? 

Swallowing back the remark , Taehyung chose to stay silent . His head hanging low and eyes down casted. 

" I am letting you go this time. Next time you pull such stunts you will be  reported directly to the principle's office. Is that understood ?! " 

" Yes sir " 

" Go to your class now " 

The old man directed the last sentence to all the students scattered around and left for the class he was supposed to be teaching in. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
" May I come in sir ? " 

" Come in " 

Taehyung walked inside the classroom , closing the door softly behind and sat down on his seat. He silently thanked his teacher for letting him in even if he was late , without any interrogation.  

" Where were you till now ? We have finished almost half of the chapter  " 

" I was talking with my old friend , lost the track of time. "

He lied easily flashing convincing smile towards his seatmate. The other male nodded his head , focusing on the rest of the chapter while Taehyung glanced out of the window , no matter how hard he tried he couldn't concentrate on the class , instead his eyes were focused on the playground outside.

I wonder where did that boy disappear? 

The rest of the classes went just like that without him paying attention to what was being taught. Only when the bell rang signalling that it was time to go home did he snap out of his fantasy world. 

" Taehyung are you okay ? You seem kinda off today " 

" I'm good " 

The foreign transferee frowned upon hearing his sharp tone. She knew him well enough to predict that something was definitely wrong with the usually cheerful boy but she kept shut and kept on gazing at her crush with worried eyes as he packed his stuffs silently. 

" Julia let's go " 

Another female wrapped her arms around the lady's frame and dragged her outside of the class. After the class had emptied out except for him, Taehyung stood up and started towards the open door. 

~~~~~ 

" Did you get scolded by Mr. Nam today ? "

Damn those gossip queens. Can't they keep their mouth shut for once ? 

Pretending that he didn't hear anything , Tae continued towards wardrobe  and started loosening his tie all the while checking his appearance on the mirror. However , a firm grip on his wrist stopped his actions midway forcing him to face his somewhat angry best friend. 

" I asked you something. Answer me " 

" I don't want to talk about it " 

" But I want to " 

Jimin glared , angry frown plastered on his face making him look way older than he actually was. 

" Fine then. Yes , I got scolded by Mr. Nam " 

" Why ? " 

Taehyung sighted and narrated the whole situation to his best friend.

" You could have asked someone for help. What was the need of going there all alone ? " 

" I didn't have time to think all those things.  That student needed my help ,how could I not go there ? If you were on my place you would have done the same thing  " 

This time Jimin couldn't argue back. Though he was protective of his best friend and wanted him to be safe he knew he can't restrict Tae from helping others. It would be too selfish of him if he did so. Jimin let go of his hold on other's wrist and breathed out tiredly. 

" Oh yeah, Namjoon hyung said he will be coming over here with some of his friends " 

Taehyung groaned,  the low unpleasant sound making  the other male laugh lightly. 

" Come on , he is not that bad " 

" Last time he was here he nearly set my room on fire. " Taehyung said pulling the pajama pants over his hips and securing the knot tightly. 

" And I'm sure he is going to lecture us about the existence of ghosts and spirits like he always does " 

Taehyung had met Namjoon during the quiz competition their school had organized last year. The juniors and seniors were mixed up and separated into different groups. Apparently, 
he was on the same group as the senior male and thanks to the older male's extra ordinary brain they had won the first position.  He will skip the part where Namjoon had broken the mic in middle of the competition  for now. 

So,  that was how they became friends. Taehyung being the social butterfly he was ,  got along with Namjoon's friends as well. 

" Yo !  Open the door " 

There was loud knock on the door and they heard some shuffling sounds outside. 

" They are here " 

Jimin was quick on his feet. He unlatched the door and greeted his seniors gesturing them to come inside. 

Namjoon was carrying a huge board on his hands , Jin was behind him  holding plastic bag with foods and soft drinks and Suga and Jhope were bickering about something. 

Setting the board down on the wooden table , Namjoon hugged  Taehyung. His friends did the same before settling down. 

" What is this ? " 

Jimin asked pointing towards the board on the table and nudged Suga who was laying down comfortably to move aside so that he can seat on the edge of the bed. 

" This is my self made ghost summoning board " 

Not this again 

Jimin and Taehyung shared a look both of them thinking the same thing. 
" Your plan's gonna fail " 

Suga commented brushing off the offended look his friend was shooting him. 

" And who says that ? " 

" Me " 

" Stop it!  both of you " 

Jin meddled in their conversation and made them shut up instantly. He  unwrapped the food he had brought from aluminium foil , the delicious smell drifted through the whole room instantly.

" Food is  getting cold. Let's eat first "

~~~~~~ 

The only source of light on the dark room was the candles placed beside the weird looking board. Namjoon had instructed them to turn off all the sources of light and sit around the table forming circle. He had been chanting some nonsense words under his breath for about five minutes making his friends anxious. 

Taehyung rolled his eyes at the senior suppressing the mocking laugh that threatened to escape out of his lips. 

" Guys , I don't feel good " 

Jhope whispered . His frame was already shaking with fear. 

" You should have listened to me when I said not to follow him here " 

Jin scolded the younger , rubbing soothing circles on his back to calm him down somehow. 

" But he said he will buy me lunch for one whole week " 

" Shhh , be silent " 

Namjoon opened his eyes and told them to place their finger on the coin resting on the board. He closed his eyes and chanted some more words. Suddenly the coin moved , causing them to freak out and jerk their hand away . However , Namjoon wasn't fazed at all. 

" Come on hold the coin " 

" Oh holy soul if you are here give us some signal " 

The coin moved towards the letter 'yes ' scribbled on the board. Jhope shrieked in fear , latching himself on Jin's arm. 

" Ask something " 

Namjoon mouthed towards the boys. 

" Umm , what score will I get on the lasts week's class test ? " 

Z  E  R  O 

" Zero ? ! " Jin fake cried while others laughed at him. 

" That's what you deserve anyway " 

" Shut up Suga ! " 

The fire on the candle  flickered aggressively.  Jhope was about to cry by now. 

" What's happening ?  "  

" I don't know " 

Taehyung moved towards the board and placed his hand on the coin. He didn't know what came over him but he wanted to ask something. 

" How did you die ? " 

The coin didn't move at all but something strange happened. A gust of wind blew out the candle leaving them in complete darkness. A static sound was heard from somewhere -
M--u--r-d-e-r-e--d

Screams and crying sound filled the room. Suga switched the light on. He shared a look with Namjoon and both the boys started laughing leaving the others  confused. 

" Look at all of you. You fell for our prank " 

" What do you mean ? " 

" We have been planning this for a long time. Think of this as a payback for ditching us at that party " 

" You guys are cruel " 

Jhope shook his head tears streaming down his face , he could finally breath normally. 

" It's getting late. I think we should head back home . "  
" And Namjoon , that wasn't funny at all "  Jin stood up dusting the non existence dirt from his pants and stomped towards the exit. 

The seniors bid farewell to Jimin and Taehyung moving out one by one. 

~~~~ 

" By the way Namjoon , that static  sound effect seemed very real , even I was scared for a bit " 

Suga patted his friend's back. 

" I didn't play that sound effect. I thought you did it " 

Namjoon mumbled but Suga had already walked further away from him not hearing a single word.