4. Feel Again

Going Crazy

Sehun watches in wonder as Lu Han steps onto the ice. It’s 4 am and the two boys have already been at the rink for thirty minutes. Sehun had insisted on attending Lu Han’s practice this morning.

“Kiddo, you’re going to have to wake up at three in the morning if you want to see me practice. Don’t do that to yourself,” Lu Han had said. “Cute little freshmen like you should be getting at least eight hours of sleep.”

“Don’t be ridiculous, Lu,” Sehun had snapped back, slapping Lu Han’s hand away as the other boy tried to ruffle his hair. “This is your last practice at home before the competition this weekend. Did you really think I would miss this?”

“But Sehunnie,” Lu Han had whined. “It’s so early in the morning. You need to get some sleep. I know you want to help, but I have a coach and a choreographer and plenty of other people that are there to assist me.”

“But no one knows your skating style as well as I do,” Sehun had insisted. “I need to be there, Lu. Just let me help, will you?”

Lu Han had sighed in defeat. How could he ever say no to the little maknae? “Alright, Sehun. But if I hear that you fall asleep in class, I’m banning you from my practice sessions for the rest of the season. Deal?”

Sehun had beamed.

So now here they are at the local skating rink at 4 am. None of the other skaters have come in yet (Lu Han had insisted on coming in an hour earlier to get in some more practice time) and neither his coach nor his choreographer have arrived. It’s just Sehun and Lu Han alone, and, to be completely honest, neither boy could be happier.

Sehun watches as Lu Han launches himself into a quadruple loop jump and winces as he sees the boy fall hard on the ice. Lu Han scrambles up immediately, grimacing a bit, and tries again. The fluffy-haired boy quickly and gracefully gains speed on the ice as he prepares to launch himself in the air again. Sehun can hear the other boy take a deep breath as he throws himself into the jump. He’s scared, Sehun notices. He missed his first jump and now he’s lost his confidence. It’s like he’s over-prepared. The younger boy flinches as he watches Lu Han crash on the ice. Lu Han looks frustrated, but he pulls himself up and tries again. And he misses the jump. Again.

“Something’s on your mind,” Sehun says when Lu Han skates up to him to grab his water bottle. “What’s distracting you?”

“Nothing,” Lu Han replies, gulping down water.

“You’re a terrible liar, Lu. Seriously, what’s going on?”

“It’s just,” Lu Han sighs as he runs his hands through his light pink hair. He tears his eyes away from Sehun, who looks far more serious than usual. “It’s just that I’m nervous for this competition. I mean, this is my first time competing on the senior level, and this is the Grand Prix Final! I can’t mess this up.”

“You need to relax, Lu. Have a little confidence in yourself. You’re an incredible skater, okay? Plus, you’ve worked so hard. You’ll be great. Just have a little faith.”

“But I can’t relax. I need to place in the competition, Sehunnie. If I don’t, then I don’t qualify for nationals.”

“You’re too invested in the competitiveness of all of this. I know you want to win, and I know that you have to win. But, it isn’t just about the competition, Lu. In fact, the competition doesn’t even matter. No, Lu, don’t interrupt me. The competition doesn’t matter. Forget about it. It’s about the experience and it’s about doing something you love. So go back out there and focus on doing the thing that you love the most, not the damn competition.”

Lu Han nods grimly and takes a few laps around the ice, hands on his hips, to calm himself down. He takes a deep breath and begins to gain speed once more. And as he does so, he begins to think about what he loves so much about this sport. He loves the exhilarating feeling he gets when he lands a jump. He loves how he always feels a little bit dizzy after completing a spin. He loves the freedom of being on the ice. He loves how he gets butterflies in his stomach when he positions himself into an Ina Bauer. He loves that he feels immortal when he gets lost in the music of his programs. With all of this in mind, he throws himself into the air.

And he lands the jump. And the one after that. And the one after that. He smiles a bit and turns to Sehun, who looks positively radiant. “See?” the younger boy calls to him. “I told you that you could do it.”

Lu Han skates up to Sehun and gives the boy a quick hug. “Gosh, I can’t even remember the last time I enjoyed skating like that. I mean, I it's like can feel again. I guess I’ve been so focused on this competition that I just forgot what it was like. Thank you, Sehunnie.”

“You’re ing gold, Lu.”

 

/*/*/*/

 

“Junmyeon,” Sehun whines as he tugs on the sleeve of the senior’s hoodie. “Junmyeon help me get the rest of the table’s attention.”

“Oh my god, Sehun, can’t you do it yourself?” Junmyeon questions, rolling his eyes.

“No,” the younger boy pouts. “They’re too noisy and I have really important information I want to share!”

“You’re like a damn child. How do you not hang out with Jongdae more?” the senior says as he turns to face the rest of the table. “Guys,” he half-shouts. “Guys, hold on. Sehun has something he wants to say that’s apparently really important.”

“Yeah, I just have an announcement before Lu Han gets here,” Sehun speaks up, placing his phone face-down on the table.

“Oh. My. Gosh,” Baekhyun gasps. “Did Sehun just put down his phone?”

“I think he did,” Chanyeol whispers. “Baekkie, am I dreaming?”

“Nini,” Kyungsoo says, rubbing his eyes. “Nini, am I seeing this right? I don’t have my glasses today and I ran out of my contacts.”

“Okay, guys. Enough,” Sehun snaps. “Really, I want to make the announcement before Lu Han gets here. Look, Lu Han’s going to be skating in his first big competition this weekend.”

“Oh, the Grand Prix Final, right?” Tao asks. Sehun nods. “Yeah, I’ve been looking forward to it. I didn’t know Lu was competing.”

“Well, yeah he is. And he’s super nervous about it so I was wondering if all of you could come to the competition this weekend. You know, to support him? And surprise him? I have tickets for everyone,” Sehun suggests. “It’s in Poughkeepsie, which, I know, is really really far away. But Lu Han’s our friend and I think he could really use our support. We can drive up there Friday night.”

“That actually sounds like a great idea, Sehun,” Yixing smiles dreamily. “I’d really like to see Lu Han skate.”

“Yeah, I agree!” Jongdae half-shouts (though that’s really just his normal speaking voice). “We should make it, like, a mini group trip. And we’ll totally surprise the crap out of him when we show up with banners and stuff!”

“Junmyeon and I can give people rides in our cars. I can seat four people and I’m pretty sure that if Junmyeon drives his soccer mom van, he can sit, like seven,” Chanyeol adds.

“I’m carpooling with Lu and his family,” Sehun says. “So I won’t be needing a ride. Thanks, though.”

“I think I’ll go with Yeol,” Baekhyun says, earning him a wide smile from Chanyeol. Tao, Yifan, and Yixing also decide to join, and the rest of the boys go with Junmyeon.

“I can bake cupcakes as a road snack,” Minseok offers. “I’ve been dying to try out this new recipe.”

“Wow guys, this is really great,” Sehun says excitedly. “Lu’s going to be so happy when he sees all of you there to support him.”

“Support who?” Lu Han questions as he places his lunch on the table and slides into the seat next to Sehun.

“Um, uh, erm,” Jongdae stutters. “That’s a great question Lu Han! Gosh, you ask the best questions ever…”

Minseok, upon watching his best friend uncontrollably rambling away, blurts out. “Support Kyungsoo!” he points to the said boy, who is looking up from his sandwich with wide eyes. “You see, Lu Han, Kyungsoo was thinking about getting a haircut, but he’s really unsure if he should actually get one. I personally think it would be an absolute treat to see him shave his hair.”

“Soo, you want to get a haircut?” Lu Han asks, not really registering Minseok and Jongdae’s rambling.

“Not a hair cut, Lu Han. He’s getting all of his hairs cut!” Junmyeon giggles at his own joke. The whole table stares at the boy in silence.

“I don’t get it,” Jongdae says. He turns to Minseok (who has been shocked into silence) and pokes the boy. “Minnie, I don’t get it.”

“Valedictorian of your grade, huh? How do you not get the joke, Dae?” Junmyeon demands. “Lu Han asked Soo if he was getting a haircut. And I was like, ‘He’s getting all of his hairs cut’ because a haircut is like a single strand of his hair cut.”

“Wha-wha…” Jongdae sputters before finally understanding the monstrosity of a dad-joke Junmyeon had just decided to lay upon the group and wailing, “Why are you like this, Junmyeon?! Waeeee?! You’re not funny!”

Lu Han and Sehun share a knowing look and roll their eyes at each other. The older boy pulls out his phone and quickly types a message to the freshman, who has picked up his own after spending a solid fifteen minutes without it (probably, the longest he has ever gone without his phone). A text message from Lu Han appears on his screen.

 

From Lu Lu <3: This group is impossible. Remind me why I still stick with them?

To Lu Lu <3: Because you secretly love all of them…?

From Lu Lu <3: Yeah okay but Dae is particularly hyperactive today. Did someone feed him something? Like, a pack of Red Bull?

To Lu Lu <3: Nah...I think he’s just naturally like that all the time. It was quiet at the rink today so maybe your still adjusting to his loudness?

To Lu Lu <3: *you’re. Ugh, grammar…

From Lu Lu <3: yeah maybe...Dae’s just a bit too loud sometimes you know?

From Lu Lu <3: Also, I can’t thank you enough for helping me out at the rink today

From Lu Lu <3: It meant a lot to me, Sehunnie :-)

 

Sehun drags his eyes away from his screen and turns to gaze at Lu Han. The older boy’s warm, chocolatey doe eyes make him look so innocent and on top of that, his light pink hair is particularly fluffy today, making it look like cotton candy. The white hoodie he’s wearing is far too large for his small frame and he’s basically drowning in the clothing, making him look smaller than he actually is. Lu Han beams at Sehun, showing off his white set of perfect teeth, and ruffles his hair, causing the younger boy to blush a deep shade of red. Gosh, he looks so beautiful today, Sehun thinks.

 

/*/*/*/

 

Friday night comes far too quickly, and Sehun finds himself to be more nervous than the actual competitor as they load their belongings into the older boy’s family van. To Lu Han’s distress, the freshman is extremely fidgety for the entire two hour car ride. The boy keeps on checking his phone, frantically texting someone, which isn’t really uncharacteristic of him. What is uncharacteristic of him is that the person he’s usually texting is Lu Han, and that he’s not texting Lu Han this time.

“Sehunnie, who are you texting?” Lu Han finally asks as they’re checking into the hotel.

“Uh, just my mom,” Sehun lies as he looks down at Jongdae’s text, which is about three paragraphs long detailing his experience of eating one of Minseok’s freshly baked batches of cupcakes in one sitting (btdubs, Jongdae writes, Junmyeon wants me to let you know that we found a motel close to the rink. We’ll surprise Lu at the short program tomorrow morning. Soo, Yeol, and Yifan came up with some GREAT motivational posters). “She’s just making sure I’m okay and that I brought my violin.”

“Does this mean that I finally get to hear you play?” Lu Han questions excitedly.

“Um, no way,” Sehun snickers. “No way in hell. You don’t want to waste your training and warm up time hearing me play crummy violin.”

“Fine,” Lu Han huffs. “But I will hear you play one day. And I still don’t believe that you’re not good after playing for ten years.”

“Start believing, Lu,” Sehun responds as a ding! goes off from the older boy’s phone. Lu Han looks at the screen, reading the text message, before typing out a quick response and hitting send. “Do you have to leave for training?” Sehun asks.

“Nope!” the older boy beams. “My coach just gave me the evening off. Come on, let’s go into town to explore. Leave your luggage with my parents. They’ll handle it.” Lu Han takes Sehun’s hand and pulls him out the revolving doors.

Downtown is only half a mile away and the pair arrives within five minutes. Lu Han is still clutching Sehun’s arm as the older boy guides him from store to store, and Sehun is still gripping the handle of his violin case; he hadn’t had the chance to set it down with the rest of his luggage when he was virtually dragged away from the hotel by the senior. After twenty minutes of exploring, Lu Han comes to a sudden halt, consequently making Sehun trip over his own feet.

“Lu, what’s wrong?” Sehun questions. The older boy is frozen, standing in the middle of the sidewalk, his doe eyes wide in horror.

“,” Lu Han breathes, pulling at strands of his cotton candy-like hair. “, , . I’m so dead.”

“What, Lu?”

“I forgot my blade guards!” the older boy shrieks as he points to the skating shop just up ahead. “And I don’t have enough money to buy another pair. Holy crap, I’m so dumb.”

“Hey, calm down, Lu,” Sehun says. “We can get you another pair. We just need, what, twenty bucks?”

“The good ones cost forty dollars,” Lu Han grumbles. “I can’t ask my parents for that kind of money! They barely managed to pay for my costumes this season!”

“Lu Han. Chill,” Sehun commands. “I have an idea. We can earn that money in no time. You just sit over there and I’ll take of it, okay?”

“Oh my god, Sehun, are you going to rob a bank? Don’t rob a bank.” Lu Han is in full- blown panic mode.

“Jesus, Lu,” Sehun rolls his eyes as he guides the older boy over to one of the benches near them. “I’m not going to rob anybody. We’re earning the money. You just be a good boy and sit here.”

Lu Han is about to open his mouth in protest but closes it quickly when he sees Sehun pull out his violin, leaving the case wide open. The freshman looks towards Lu Han and grins as he brandishes his violin and starts playing.

And it’s the most beautiful thing Lu Han has ever heard in his life. He watches the young boy in wonderment, mesmerized by how effortless the music is produced. He grins widely as he sees the freshman close his eyes and sway to the light, butterfly-like melody. People passing by stop to listen to Sehun’s playing, smiling at the young boy as he continues to produce the gorgeous sounds from his instrument. Lu Han listens intently to the murmurs of the viewers. “Wow, he’s so good. And look how young he is! He must be some kind of music prodigy!” Lu Han’s grin widens when he hears the compliments. Sehun lifts one eye open to glance at Lu Han and smiles a little bit when he sees that the older boy is clearly enjoying the music.

When Sehun finishes the piece, he turns and bows deeply at the audience as they clap for him and toss money in his open case. “Encore!” people call from the audience. Sehun smiles politely and bows again (Wow, this is literally the most pleasant I’ve seen him be, Lu Han thinks). More cheers erupt from the watchers as Sehun lifts his violin to begin playing again.

The next song is more playful and Sehun grins as he draws his bow on the string, teasing the audience as he flourishes the piece with extra harmonics and slides. This piece is far more impressive than the first song he performed, and more and more people gather to watch the young boy (the “little music prodigy,” according to several audience members). The song ends and the applause is thunderous. More and more people throw bills into his violin case and encourage him to play one more song. The younger boy looks over at Lu Han, who gives him a grin and a nod of approval, before he lifts his violin again.

“This is going to be my final piece of the night,” Sehun announces, earning him a few dejected “awws” from the audience. “And this song goes out to my good friend, Lu Han over there.” He gestures towards the older boy with his bow. “He’s actually going to be skating in the Grand Prix Final tomorrow, and this is his short program piece. Hope you like it, Lu Lu.” Sehun winks at him and begins playing once more.

Lu Han knows the piece well since he’s been listening to it non-stop in preparation for his short program performance tomorrow. But the way Sehun draws out the melody is completely different from the recording of the piece. It’s a whole other experience. Lu Han closes his eyes and allows himself to be enveloped in the melodies and harmonies Sehun produces from his instrument. A tear escapes from the older boy’s eyes as he listens to the music. It’s the most beautiful melody he’s ever heard, but there’s something about the way Sehun draws it out that makes it sound like a sad love song. It’s absolutely gorgeous, but it’s tragic. The song ends and Lu Han wishes that Sehun would never stop playing. The older boy opens his eyes and quickly wipes his tears away. Sehun is bowing deeply to the audience as more people continue to throw bills upon bills into his case. When the watchers finally scatter, beyond satisfied with the music they had just heard from the young boy, Lu Han approaches Sehun, who places his violin carefully back into his case and counts the money he has earned from the three songs.

“Sehunnie,” Lu Han says softly. “That was incredible.”

Sehun shrugs modestly. “It was alright. Not my best night, but I blame it on me not being able to warm up.”

“Sehunnie,” Lu Han says more firmly. “That was the most amazing thing that has ever graced my ears. Seriously, you’re absolutely brilliant.”

“You’re exaggerating.” Sehun rolls his eyes and continues counting the bills. “It was mediocre at best. Very average. Nothing special.”

“Nothing special?” Lu Han sputters. “Nothing special? Sehunnie, you’re a ing genius. A music prodigy. I can’t believe you’ve been hiding your playing from the group this whole time. I can’t believe you’ve been hiding it from me.”

“Really, Lu Han. You’re being overly dramatic,” Sehun replies. “Though I did earn us enough to buy you the best blade guards in the entire goddamn world.”

“Gosh, how much did you make?” Lu Han questions, peering at the thick wad of bills the younger boy is holding in his hand.

“Two hundred dollars, thank you very much,” Sehun beams. Lu Han practically squeals and pulls Sehun in for a tight hug, thanking the freshman over and over again. “Come on,” the younger boy says. “Let’s go get you those blade guards. And, because I’m apparently that brilliant, I’ll treat you to dinner too.”

 

Authors Note:

Hellooo everyone!

So I’ve started developing Lu Han and Sehun’s characters a little bit more. Yay?

I actually really enjoyed writing this chapter because I was able to write about two of the things I’m really passionate about, figure skating and violin. I’ve actually never been figure skating and I probably wouldn’t even be able to stand if I stepped onto the ice in my driveway, but I really love watching the sport. I’ve been playing violin for a little bit over twelve years now and I love it. I’m actually currently playing the second piece Sehun played and I’m highkey freaking out because it’s so hard…

If anyone’s interested, these are the links to the songs I mentioned in this chapter:

Chapter title: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6lXfkU9RSU

Sehun’s first song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK3jRo6aTbQ&t=490s

Sehun’s second song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3kLEjv2_eI

Sehun’s third song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5ZdlI4cOwo

I’ll be back soon (hopefully) with a chanbaek/baekyeol-centered chapter. Until then, I hope everyone likes this new update!