christmas gift

Something Just Like This

The days leading to Christmas were quiet, Jennie didn't even feel the holiday spirit except for the gifts that had been coming in and out of their residence. She decided not to contact Jisoo that much and to just send short replies whenever Jisoo messaged her. She never initiated a conversation with Jisoo as much as she wanted do. She hated the thought of Jisoo spending Christmas with her 'bestfriend' - who apparently wasn't Jennie. All this time, she thought that she was Jisoo's bestfriend, but she was just 'her friend in school'. Jennie hated that was overly jealous at this thought.

December 24th came and her household was busy preparing for the Christmas Eve meal, her parents instructed them to have a feast even though Jennie was just going to spend it alone with their household helpers. Jennie sulked in front of the mirror as she wore the new designer dress that her parents gave her for Christmas. She admired herself in the mirror, the knee-length baby pink dress hugged her in the right spots, and she thought that it was a waste for her to look this good because nobody's going to see her except for their household help. She then picked up the necklace with the ring pendant that she made with Jisoo and traced her finger on the engraved letters. "I miss you.", she mumbled to herself. She was clasping the necklace around her neck securely when she hard a knock on her door. 

"Jennie-ssi, you have a visitor." 

Jennie thought about her mom's reminders, "Did mom tell you if they were expecting anyone?"

"No, Jennie-ssi. I think she's not your mom's visitor, she said she's your classmate." echoed the voice behind her door.

"What?" Jennie rushed to open the door, "Did she say her name?"

"Yes, Kim Jisoo."

 

-

 

Jennie was beyond shocked at her current visitor. She rushed to the mirror and touched up her make-up - she was wrong, someone was going to see her and she needed to look really good. She patted her cheek for the last time and repositioned the pendant of her necklace. She then rushed out of her bedroom and ran to the stairs. She stopped at the top of their staircase and slowly made her way down to their living room.

Jisoo was sitting in their couch. She was wearing a beige half-sleeved turtleneck and a knee-length skirt. Jisoo looked up to her and smiled. Jennie's knees wanted to give out at that moment, she wanted to fall down and land on Jisoo's arms. Jisoo looked so ethereal, almost like she was the gift of Christmas. Jisoo is brighter than the holiday lights, her smile is more beautiful than the snow covered Seoul, Jisoo is better than Christmas. 

"Jendeukie~" Jisoo hugged her as soon as she got down, "Sorry for barging in. I wanted to give you your gift."

Jennie was speechless. hung agape as she tried to find the right words to say. "I- uh. It's okay. Thank you."

"Merry Christmas, Jendeukie~" Jisoo hugged her again and Jennie froze like the huge Christmas tree underneath their staircase. "Sorry for the trouble, I should get going now."

Jisoo turned around and Jennie snapped out of her thoughts, "J-Jisoo unnie! Wait!" 

Jisoo faced her. "Hmm?"

"Uh- Do you want to stay for Christmas dinner? I, uh- my parents prepared a feast, and I-, I'm just alone, you know. If you just want to, though. It's okay if you have to be with your family. The food's really nice though and uh-" Jennie caught herself rambling and bowed her head to hide her reddened face. "Sorry- I-"

Jisoo let out a small laugh. "Yes, Jennie. I'd love to stay. I thought you'd never ask."

Jennie looked up and she swear that she was about to cry from too much happiness.

She couldn't believe it. Miracles of Christmas are real.

 

-

 

The two of them had a hearty dinner along with Jennie's household help. Jennie was never rude to their employees, she considered them as family since she practically lived with them longer than her parents. Jennie asked Jisoo if she needed to go home to her family, but Jisoo refused. Jisoo said that she had already informed her parents that she'd spend Christmas Eve at her friend's and promised to spend the whole Christmas Day tomorrow with them. Her parents agreed and Soojoo became her 'replacement' for the family dinner since her parents considered her as their child as well.

"So, you really planned on celebrating the Christmas Eve here?" Jennie asked as they plopped down on the bean bags in Jennie's room. 

"Yes!" Jisoo winked at her and Jennie felt herself blush. "I was about to leave because you were just standing there when I gave you your gift. I was glad that you asked me to stay over. When you told me about you spending Christmasses alone, I wanted to spend it with you."

"Jisoo-unnie, thank you." She couldn't help but hug Jisoo.

"Hey! I brought something fun!" Jisoo reached for her handbag and pulled out a bottle.

"Soju?!"

Jisoo grinned! "Yes! I took this from our fridge without anyone noticing!"

"Bu-but we're not eighteen yet!"

"But I really wanted to try this. I've never tried this. Let's drink for the first time together?"

Jennie also really wanted to try soju for a long time now, but she was really scared. "I don't know if I can drink that much."

"Well, me too. I promise to take care of you!"

The opposite happened. After a few shots, Jennie stayed sane and Jisoo started to slur with her words. Jennie, being the whipped Jennie, found tipsy Jisoo really cute. She started to and then they ended up in a tickle fight. Apparently, tipsy Jisoo was a strong Jisoo, and in a matter of seconds, she had Jennie pinned underneath her. Jennie was laughing too hard from Jisoo's tickles but it suddenly stopped.

Jennie looked up at Jisoo's reddened face and noticed that they were only a few inches apart. Jennie could feel Jisoo's hot breath against her cheek. Her heart was beating so loud that she swore she could hear it. She was trying to catch her breath, and she wasn't sure if she was panting because of the tickles from earlier or from the tension between them. She saw Jisoo inching closer, "Can- can I?" Jennie wasn't sure what Jisoo meant but she nodded, gulped, and closed her eyes. 

Fireworks, there were fireworks everywhere. That was how she felt when Jisoo's soft lips touched hers. Butterflies, the butterflies were going insane inside Jennie's stomach. That was how she felt when she felt herself responding, her lips slowly moving against Jisoo's. She swore she could hear Jisoo's heartbeat beating so fast. The kiss deepened and Jennie had to hold onto Jisoo's waist for support. She felt so vulnerable. She felt so weak. But being vulnerable and weak hadn't felt this good.

Jisoo pulled away and they were both catching their breaths. Jennie opened her eyes and saw Jisoo being so red that she wasn't sure if it was from the alcohol or from the kiss. "Jen- I-" 

They sat up. "Ji-Jisoo unnie."

"Wa-was that okay?"Jisoo seemed to come back to her senses.

More that okay, Jennie wanted to say, but she setlled for a nod.

"I-I like you, Jennie-ya."

Jennie's heart was beating so fast. She couldn't move, she just looked at Jisoo, expecting for more words.

"It's not the alcohol talking. Well, it pushed me to be brave. But I- I really like you, in that way. In a way that I want to date you. In a way that I want to be your girlfriend. I- I- like--"

"I'll be your girlfriend!" Jennie blurted out of the blue and she wanted to slap herself. "I- I'm sorry, I was thinking out loud."

Jisoo giggled. "So you like me, too? In that way?"

I love you, Jennie wanted to correct her, but she wanted to take things slow. "Yes, Jisoo-unnie. I like you. In that way."

They held hands.

"Jisoo-unnie, what about Soojoo?"

Jisoo laughed. "Were you jealous about her?"

Jennie pouted and nodded. "She said that she is your bestfriend. That I am just your friend in school. I thought I was your bestfriend."

Jisoo carressed her cheek. "Jennie-ya, I'd always talk to her about my feelings for you. It was so confusing that I felt a different kind of happy whenever I'm around you - and I've never felt that with my other friends. I've felt all those cliches - the butterflies in my stomach, the heart skipping a bit, everything. Everything was so confusing. But Soojoo pushed me to be brave and give it a try. Yes, she is my bestfriend, but you are my girlfriend, aren't you?"

Jennie blushed and nodded. I am your girlfriend now, she thought.

Jisoo smiled. "Can I kiss you again?" 

Jennie didn't answer and just pulled Jisoo to her.

Jennie used to hate Christmasses, until now. She loved this Christmas. If she were to pick the best Christmas gift, it was already here, she was holding the best Christmas gift in her arms. Jisoo was the best Christmas gift.