stay

Something Just Like This

With her eyes wide open, Jennie watched as the gentle rays of the morning sun slowly filled her ivory-coloured room. Sleep didn't even come to her last night and she silently thanked the heavens that it was the weekend. She could stay in as she didn't want to be with anyone else.

Her head hurt from lack of sleep, from overthinking, and from staring into space. The phone in her hand had been heated up as Jisoo's goodnight message was left on read flashing on the screen. She badly wanted to answer Jisoo as she always did, but last night she couldn't. Jennie felt scared.

Jennie was restless the moment she came back home that night. She had a really nice dinner with Jisoo, who kept on calling her Jendeukie. She loved the new nickname. She loved Jisoo being playful to her. She loved being close to Jisoo. She loved eating with Jisoo. She loved taking the bus with Jisoo. She loved random walks with Jisoo. She loved everything she did with Jisoo that Jennie started to question if she also loved the girl herself. 

She tried to trace back how she felt when she first saw Jisoo, how her heart thumped so fast that she thought it would jump out of her chest. How she wrote that letter, thinking that it was harmless, for she only found Jisoo interesting, and she wanted a new friend, or so she thought.

Jennie was aware of this silly little crush on Jisoo - but she couldn't explain even that. This was the first time that she adored someone, and she knew that girls her age call that a 'crush'. But the girls her age had crushes on boys, yet she had a crush on a girl, on Jisoo. She didn't know how she could explain her emotions, but it felt so right. She had always wondered how crushes feel like, how was it possible to have butterflies in her stomach, how was it possible to only think of a certain person to feel like flying. Jennie had always wondered every time she listened to her classmates' stories  and every time she watched films. But now that she's finally understanding what those mean, she had been questioning herself, because Jisoo was a girl, and two girls were often portrayed as bestfriends or sisters, and Jennie was quite sure that she would neither feel like this on her bestfriend nor if she had a sister. 

Jennie has a crush on Jisoo - or something more than that.

And the thought of it scared Jennie more than anything else.
She's terrified to scare Jisoo away and lose her.

 

-

 

By noon, she still hadn't gotten out of bed nor contacted Jisoo. They used to text each other during weekends, and sometimes go out if Jisoo didn't have rehearsals for her drama club. Jennie had never been active on those extra-curricular activities in school, and she spent most of her free time at home. Her always busy parents provided her with various ways to past time such as game consoles which she seldom used, books that she had almost read everything, a nice pool wherein she swam every Sunday morning, and even a pony whom she loved along with her two dogs - Kuma and Kai.

Her phone lit up, signaling another message from Jisoo. 

Good morning Jendeukie~ I guess you fell asleep early last night.
Our rehearsals had already finished! It's so early~ hit me up if you can go watch a movie or something. 

Jennie placed her phone back down on the bed. She didn't want to go, but she missed Jisoo so much even though they were just together last night. She was about to type a response that they should go see a movie, but she stopped herself. She couldn't see Jisoo when she was still like this. Not now. 

Jisoo unnie, I think I can't go because I'm feeling under the weather right now. I'm sorry. You take care. 

Jisoo's reply came in in less than a minute.

Omo is Jendeukie okay? Please rest, and just tell me if you need anything ^^ I'll be going home now. 

Jennie was touched at Jisoo's reply. Jisoo had always been attentive and caring, she had noticed. But she couldn't indulge her feelings for Jisoo now. 

 

-

 

Sunday came and Jennie spent the weekend in her room, watching sappy films about love which didn't help because the lovestruck lead characters clearly resembled her. It was 3pm and she was still moping on her bed in her pajamas. Her stomach growled as a protest to her not eating, despite the nagging of her nanny who also served as a helper in their huge house. 

Her phone had been off since its battery was drained yesterday. She felt bad ignoring Jisoo's calls but she was convinced that she had done the right thing. She might not be able to control herself anymore if she kept on reading Jisoo's messages. 

She was about to click on another sappy film that Netflix had suggested, when her nanny knocked on her door again.

"Ahjumma~ I'm not in the mood to eat yet." She whined when she heard her door open.

"Jennie-ya, I'm not here to nag you about that. You have a visitor."

Jennie straightened up from being sprawled on her queen sized bed and panicked, "WHAT? WHO?!"

"She said her name is Kim Jisoo, and that you're classmates. She seems like a lovely girl."

Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God, Jennie's mind was in circles. "Please tell her to wait, I'm just gonna fix myself."

Her nanny closed her bedroom door and she ran to the mirror to fix her messy hair. She debated whether she should take a shower - but it would take too long - or just change her clothes. Before she could make up her mind, she heard a knock on her door, "Jennie-ya? Can I come in?"

Why did nanny send her up?!?! Jennie was panicking, "Ye-yeah I g-guess so, I look like a MESS!" She yelled.

Jisoo emerged from her bedroom door, God she looks so beautiful, Jennie thought, suddenly forgetting her appearance.

"Yah! You still look cute Jendeukie~" Jisoo laughed.

With her head bowed, Jennie stood there in her oversized pajamas, her messy hair covering her burning cheeks. 

She sensed Jisoo inching closer and she felt hands cupping her face. Jisoo lifted her face up, "What happened to you~? Are you still sick?" Jisoo then felt her forehead and cheeks. 

Jennie's face was burning red, "I'm just not in the mood." She pouted her lips.

Jisoo let out a relieved sigh and ruffled her hair as she let go of her. "I brought you food and some medicines just in case you really got sick." She watched as Jisoo rummaged through her backpack and placed two paper bags on the coffee table near the window. "Eat up, okay?"

Jennie nodded.

"I should get going now, I should let you rest." Jisoo placed her backpack on her shoulder and headed to the door.

"J-Jisoo u-unnie." 

Jisoo stopped walking and turned around.

Jennie half ran to her. She held Jisoo's arm. Her heart thumped.

"Stay."

Jisoo smiled.

That was the moment that Jennie stopped questioning everything because now she's more than sure.

She loves Jisoo.

Jennie loves Jisoo in the way that the characters on her favourite film adored each other, in the way her classmates gushed over their boys, in the way that sent chills to her skin and made butterflies in her stomach fly.

 

Jennie is sixteen, young, beautiful, and in love with Kim Jisoo.