vest

Something Just Like This

Jennie stomped her black leather shoes against the concrete floor. It's starting to get cold, as the early October breeze slapped against her blouse and skirt. She silently cursed herself for not wearing her vest again.

It's 7:45am and she only has fifteen minutes to run to her first class but she can't. She took her time and savoured every step away from her classroom. 

She stopped walking as she reached the stairs leading up to the high school building. She looked up at the blue sky covered with clouds causing the sun to be barely seen. She heaved a deep sigh as she readied herself. 

She didn't want to see her - no, she did - but not after what she had done yesterday afternoon.

"Hey!" a voice she knew very well echoed in the almost empty school grounds. It's 7:55am.

Jennie's heart started doing that weird and fast beating again. Her knees trembled. She looked away from the sky, just to look down at her feet. She couldn't look at her. 

She just waited and waited, for the footsteps to get nearer and louder, and it felt like forever.

She felt a tap on her left shoulder.

She mechanically craned her neck to the girl's direction. "He-hey. Ji-Jisoo unnie." Oh god, she looks so beautiful. It's like the sun suddenly parted the clouds and radiated its light everywhere.

"Jennie? Can you hear me? Are you okay with that?" Jisoo asked with a worried smile.

"Wh-what?" Jennie was awakened from her trance. Oh myself! "S-Sorry Jisoo unnie, what is it again?"

Jisoo let out a dorky laugh which sounded like a classical music against Jennie's ears. "I read the letter you slipped into my locker. So, see you later? My last class ends at 5pm."

They were classmates, however Jisoo had to take remedial classes to catch-up on the lessons since she was a transferee who had been a year delayed.

Jennie's eyes widened and was dry. "Su-Sure."

"You're cute." Jisoo said as she ruffled Jennie's hair. Jennie turned so red that she looked like a tomato.

"Oh it's 8:01 already. Are you going up to class? We're late." Jennie felt the sudden panic on Jisoo's words who looked at her watch.

"O-Oh! I still have to get my vest in my locker."

Jisoo removed her vest and draped them against Jennie's shoulders - who looked surprised and even redder. "Wear mine. I can get away with it since I'm technically a senior." Jisoo winked.

"O-Okay unnie."

"Let's go!" Jisoo grabbed her hand and pulled her to run towards their building.

Jennie felt like she was flying.

And her heart felt like it was falling.