Day 1

Just

 

1:50pm

 

"Just because of my mom"

 

Yes. That's true. She's here because of her mom. No other than that. She follow what the map saying and end up in a comfy and small apartment. She greet the owner of the house, introduce herself as Im Nayoung which got full attention of the old woman. She hug her tight.

 

"I've been wondering when will you visit Naples," she said, "Your father, he is a wonderful man, he told me that you were an artist, and he is so proud of you"

 

All that Nayoung could give was a small nod. 'That was bitter' she though as she look around and observing the whole building. It's not that bad. It's old but she can see how much the old woman taking care of this place.

 

"This is his room!" Her voice bring Nayoung back to reality, "Now it's yours" she smile at Nayoung, "How long are you going to be here?"

 

"Around 4 days" she said as she put down her bag on the floor. Scanning the room.

 

"Here is where you sleep then," with a wobble step, she led Nayoung to the bedroom, "Come, come, take your bag with you dear"

 

She open the door and Nayoung went in, look around and find an old shelf, hanger where she can put her jacket, a book shelf on the left side of the room, a small cupboard beside the bed with a vintage lamp on it.

 

"Do you like it?"

 

She almost forgot that the old woman still there, turn around, "It's good..." She said with a small nod.

 

"Wonderful! You really resemble your father in term of taste too" she let out a small chuckles, "You'll find bathroom right beside the bedroom" she continue to show her around. 

 

"This your kitchen, well... The microwave, stove and the coffe maker still work"

 

Nayoung notice a door. A blue door. 

"Miss... What is that?"

 

"Just call me Maria" she turn around and a smile formed on her wrinkled face, "Ah... He must be want you to see that room" Maria turn around and look at Nayoung, "I'll let you check the rest of this place alone Nayoung," she pat her shoulder before she went out, "Have a nice adventure, little Frederick"

 

Nayoung flinch at the mention of that name but she manage to reply with a small smile.

 

Her feet bring her to the door. Her curiosity lead her hand to open the door. Switch the light one. She was greet by an old table with computer on it. Her eyes start to wander around the room. She start to notice that there are more than just a table inside. Right beside the table. There is another door which already opened and shows her the view of Naples. The sun start to set down. 11 hours from Seoul, and 1 hours from Rome.

 

"At least it was worth it..." She talk to herself. Step by step she walk toward the table. Noticing something like paper which popped out of a weird blue book on the table. She pulled it and look confused when that thing turned out to be an envelope.

 

"What is this?" She start to read, and her face turned tense. 

 

Dear my beloved daughter, Im Nayoung

 

***

3.00pm

She took a deep breath. After having her lunch, she still feel uneasy about the letter. Should she opened it or what? It keep bothering her. Until an act of courage bring her to open the envelope and read what her father want to say.

 

Dear Nayoung, 

Because of me... All because of me. You, who need the warmth of a father end up have to survive without me. That's why the only thing that I could offer was my regret for everything. 

 

I'm sorry for not be the one who take you to school, I'm sorry for missing almost every single birthday you had. It pain me so much but I know you have grown into the most beautiful woman.

 

You and your mother end up need to paid for the price of my dedication in work. I love you both so much but it will never enough, although I hope one day you'll understand.

As an archeologist, I was bound by the tangible, but you as an artist are free to the imagination and abstract. I know you'll be a great person in the future.

I know I'm being selfish but this is the only way I could show you about how I live. Go to where I work, Museum in Naples. I hope your trip will inspire you to make something great.

Please forgive me for everything and remember only those memory when we were happy as a family rather than time when we're apart.

 

Yours truly, 

Frederick Im

 

After reading it, Nayoung can't say anything. Only her heavy breath could be heard. She look up to the ceiling and put the letter on the dining table.

 

"Museum?" She mumble, took out her phone and start searching, "It closed in 7.30pm" her eyes find the clock and said, "Well, I have 2 hours left, better get going"

 

She went to the bedroom taking a small bag to put her sketchbook, pencil, wallet, and phone. She look up and find herself and her father in a photo up at the top of the book shelf. She scoff bitterly, "Happy memory huh?"

 

***

 

"Nayoung!"

"Good afternoon Maria"

 

Maria was sitting in front of the building. She's selling bread and snack there. "It is good right? Your father's room?"

 

"Yeah, you can say so"

 

"Anything I can help you with?"

 

"Well, you don't need to... I was going to the Naples National Museum of Archeologist"

 

Her eyes widen in delight, "Oh! Are you going to see your father's exhibit?"

 

"Yeah..." She answer half heartily. 

 

"He'll be happy to know this" Maria gives her a soft smile, "Do you know how to get there?"

 

"Yes, kind of find it through the internet" she shows her phone, "Gotta go, see you later Maria"

 

"Be careful!"

 

Nayoung walk and get through the busy road. Passing by some cafe and restaurant. Her mind start to wander around, 'He'll be happy to know this'

 

That sentence keep on recalling inside her mind. 'Did he even care about my life, huh? If it's not because of mom last wish, I won't be here'

 

She start to observe her surrounding. Walking in the middle of a city where you know no one but yourself. It felt strange yet challenging. Sometimes she notice some cringey couple passed by and her eyes rolling to avoid it. She's not a big fan of romance. After knowing what happened between her parents. She start to think that, romance will only ruin her life.

 

Her feet stop at a small coffe stand at the side of the road.

 

"George at your service," a tall man with beard and obviously an apron greet her, "How are you today miss?"

 

"I'm okay, thank. A lot of things in my mind right now" she sigh

 

"Not even a cup of large coffe can cure?"

 

"Well... Then I'd like one, I think it'll help, thanks"

 

He nod and start to work on it. "So what's on your mind, miss?"

 

"I'm going to my deceased father's museum"

 

Nayoung notice how George suddenly went silent, "Oh... I'm sorry. So he lived here?"

 

"Yeah, working at the museum, so far away from me who's in Seoul"

 

"It must be hard to be away from him, right?" He said, Nayoung only stare at her phone, "Yeah, you can say that, but I manage so... Here I am"

 

"It must be hard, I didn't mean to intrude you" George hand her the cup of coffee, "Hope you'll enjoy your visit then"

 

Nayoung nod, give him the money. "Thank you, I'll try"

 

Taking a sip of her coffee. She keep on walking down the street. Another stop has made as she stand in front of a statue that caught her attention. Pulling out her sketchbook. Briefly, she draw it and put it back inside.

 

She start to pay attention to her phone. Because her mind told her that she's lost.

 

"Where should I go...?" She sratch the back of her neck, "Up?" Confused, she look up and let out a relieved smile, "Stairs... I see"

 

She smile as she found the great building. Dragging her body inside the museum. She met one of the staff for checking her ticket.

 

"Good morning. Ticket please" the staff look at her, "Wait, don't I know you?"

 

"No, I don't think so? I'm here for a trip"

 

"Well, it feels like I've seen you somewhere, do you have a family here?" Nayoung start to frown as she nod, "Yes, I do"

 

"Do I know them?" Nayoung start to feel uncomfortable, "My father... He was an archaeologist and he work here. Recently passed away"

 

"Oh! Frederick! I know him... I'm sorry about to hear about his passing, I see that you have some of his great feature, tall, beautiful eyes," Nayoung look away, not even give any respond to the staff, "And a well mannered person," she smile at Nayoung, "He did a lot for our city so the least I could do is pay for your ticket, why not coming here with your mom? I'm Bianca anyway"

 

Nayoung was shocked. How could? She just met some strangers and all of them treat her well because of her father?

 

"Thank you... That's very kind of you" the change in Nayoung's expression turned out to be noticable for Bianca, "Are you OK?"

 

"She recently passed away" Her gasp was too obvious for Nayoung, "I'm sorry to hear that dear..." She said. Nayoung give her a (fake) smile and said, 

 

"It's fine, anyway, thanks for the ticket"

 

***

 

She barely found her way to the Ancient Egypt Collection. The museum is enormous. Nayoung somehow understand how her parents manage to give her a chance to study in the best art school.

 

She look around and once again hooked by a statue. She can't help but staring at it. That's exactly the same with its replica in her father's special room. She look around and find another view, a girl, look younger than her. She has a long black hair, she wore a long yellow skirt with white shirt. Her face turned to scan the statue thoroughly, which served Nayoung with her beautiful side profile. 

 

Nayoung is an artist. That's why she enjoy to look at art.

 

***

 

7.00pm

 

Her mind went blank as soon as she saw her canvass. She want to paint something but nothing come out of her mind as a good idea. That's why she's here in the middle of the city (again).

 

Her eyes start to wander around again. Trying to find an inspiration. She find a bench to sit and start to recall what she saw in the museum. Everything is magnificent, enormous and obviously gorgeous in their own way but none of it stuck in her mind. 

 

Suddenly... An image of absolute beauty come to her mind. She run from where she stand straight to her room. She took her brush and begin to pain. Her smile widen, her body felt light because of joy. When it's finished, she smile, a proud smile.

 

She turned around, facing herself in the mirror. Her face turned tense, 

 

'I see that you have some of his great feature...'

 

"I'm not him," she said to herself, "I'm here, just because my mom want me to be here"

 

Nayoung is an artist. She enjoy to look at art but, at that time, she stop herself from enjoying the art.

 

To be continue... 

 

 

 

 

I hope you love it! Anyway... I miss NaPink T^T