Strings of Fate

Strings of Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

At exactly 1:45 pm, Kyungsoo was going to accidentally bump into another boy in the hallway at school.

 

It may seem like an insignificant moment, but it was something that had been weaved into Kyungsoo’s fate since he was born. Baekhyun knew it was going to happen, just like he knew all the other important moments in Kyungsoo’s life. After all, he was assigned to watch over Kyungsoo, to be his guardian angel of sorts. It was his utmost priority to know what was going to happen to Kyungsoo.

 

Still, fate is a tricky thing. There are many paths that can be taken, and the choices Kyungsoo made throughout his life constantly changed his own fate. It was ever evolving, each milestone Kyungsoo came upon and reacted to altered which direction he took on his life journey. 

 

It was like a confusing and tangled web of strings, each decision branching off from a singular important moment onto another path.

 

Bumping into a boy named Park Chanyeol was one of Kyungsoo’s milestones in life, but what happened next depended on how he reacted to that moment. Baekhyun wasn’t sure what path Kyungsoo was going to take, but he would do his best to guide Kyungsoo through the happiest life he could, as long as no one else's fate collided with his in an undesirable way.

 

There wasn’t much Baekhyun could do to help Kyungsoo, after all he had very little control over what happened in the living realm. All he could do was give Kyungsoo small impulses, a sudden and unknown feeling in his gut. Sometimes it was as simple as making Kyungsoo turn his head to look at something, Kyungsoo unsure of why he suddenly looked in that direction. 

 

However, most of the time Baekhyun simply watched Kyungsoo’s life unfold. There hadn’t really been many reasons to interfere so far. It was pretty straightforward at the moment, Kyungsoo only being a high school student.

 

But Baekhyun was excited for today. Milestone moments like this one weren’t that common, and Kyungsoo hadn’t had very many yet. Baekhyun was anxious to see what Kyungsoo would do, and what new path that would lead him on.

 

Baekhyun walked along Kyungsoo’s side, moving down the empty hallway with him. Kyungsoo’s teacher had asked him to deliver some paper to another classroom, a thick stack that was a little heavy for him to carry. He looked down at words written on the papers, reading them and not paying attention as he rounded a corner.

 

And then it happened. Kyungsoo bumped into a tall boy, which harshly knocked him over onto the floor, papers flying everywhere.

 

Even though Baekhyun had been eagerly waiting for this moment, he barely witnessed it happen. He was suddenly enthralled by something else, by the man standing next to Chanyeol. He was tall as well, but there was a much colder look to his appearance, and Baekhyun was entranced by it.

 

“Are you ok?!” Chanyeol shouted as he quickly knelt to the floor, putting away his phone, “, I’m so sorry!”

 

“I’m fine…” Kyungsoo answered quietly, holding onto his wrist as he winced a little.

 

“No your not.” Chanyeol argued, leaning closer to look at Kyungsoo’s hand, “Let me see it.”

 

Kyungsoo recoiled his hand, bringing it close to his body, “I’m fine, don’t worry about it.”

 

“Hi.” Baekhyun suddenly spoke, looking at the man standing near Chanyeol, ignoring the moment happening next to them.

 

The man turned to look at Baekhyun, a cold expression remaining on his face. 

 

“I’m trying to pay attention to this.” He answered in an irritated voice, “It’s important.”

 

“Oh, right.” Baekhyun replied nervously, “Sorry.”

 

Baekhyun went quiet, looking up and down the man’s body to examine his clothing. Attire was a strangely important thing to guardians like themselves, along with their age. They hadn’t been born yet, hadn’t had a chance to exist in the living realm. However, their appearance at the moment was a representation of the way they were going to look when they were given the gift of life. As for their exact age and the clothing they were wearing, it represented an important day in their life, what they looked like during the moment they met their soulmate.

 

Baekhyun noticed they both appeared to be around the same age, give or take a few years possibly. Not only that, their attire was rather similar, at least they were dressed for the same season. The man was garbed in a long grey coat, a beige sweater underneath with the tips of his shirt collar sticking out at the neck. At first Baekhyun thought he was dressed for something semi-formal, until his eyes fell on the lower half of the man’s body. Plaid pajama pants paired with converse sneakers. It was very clashing, and Baekhyun wondered why the man had ever decided to dress like that.

 

In contrast, Baekhyun was dressed rather sharply, either for some nice event or even possibly just a day at work. He also had a long coat, but it was light in color. Underneath was a patterned sweater vest, his white shirt exposed at the top and bottom. A pale blue pair of slacks went well with the rest of his outfit, along with his dark brown dress shoes. The blue scheme played nicely against the light orange color of his hair, the muted colors feeling soft on the eyes.

 

Taken away from his thoughts, Baekhyun heard Chanyeol’s voice again, reminding him of the current situation.

 

“Let me take you to the nurses office then. It might be sprained.” Chanyeol offered, holding out his hand to help Kyungsoo stand up.

 

Baekhyun and the man watched as Kyungsoo accepted Chanyeol’s offer, getting up off the floor with Chanyeol’s help. Chanyeol quickly collected Kyungsoo’s papers for him, gathering them back into a stack. They began to walk together, going towards the nurse’s office. Baekhyun and the tall man moved behind them, also walking side by side.

 

“What’s your name?” Baekhyun suddenly asked after an awkward break of silence.

 

“Sehun.”

 

“Hi, I’m Baekhyun.”

 

There was no answer to Baekhyun’s introduction, and they fell into silence again. Baekhyun glanced over at Sehun, admiring his handsome features as they moved along quietly. He had a pleasant combination of masculine and soft attributes, creating a very appealing appearance, especially in Baekhyun’s eyes. Baekhyun spent some time examining each attractive quality on his face before he eventually spoke again.

 

“Chanyeol is such gentlemen. It must be nice to watch over him.”

 

“He’s an idiot.” Sehun answered, a look of irritation on his face, “He’s frustrating to watch.”

 

“Oh.” Baekhyun replied nervously, “…Well, you know, if everything goes well for these two, we might be seeing each other a lot. I could help you, or we could at least laugh together about it.”

 

“No, I have other plans for Chanyeol.”

 

“Oh…” Baekhyun replied again, “…Like what?”

 

“He’ll be really successful if he attends a far off school. He can’t go there if he stays with Kyungsoo.”

 

“…But…isn’t love more important than success?” Baekhyun asked, a little surprised by Sehun’s logic.

 

“He’ll still get married.” Sehun replied.

 

“Yeah, but won’t he be happier with Kyungsoo?”

 

“It’s hard to say. But I think he’ll be better off without him.”

 

“Well I think they’ll be happiest together.” Baekhyun answered, hoping to change Sehun’s mind.

 

Sehun glared over at Baekhyun, getting annoyed again, “Look, don’t mess with this. I’ve been planning it carefully.”

 

“So have I.” Baekhyun answered, “I’ve always been looking forward to them getting together.”

 

Silence again, only this time it was filled with obvious anger and frustration as they glared at each other. But their fierce gaze was soon interrupted by Chanyeol’s voice, calling out for the nurse.

 

“Hmmm, she’s not here.” Chanyeol spoke to Kyungsoo, turning to look at him.

 

“It’s ok, I’ll just wrap it up myself.” 

 

“No no, let me do it for you.”

 

“No, I’m fine.”

 

Baekhyun went to Kyungsoo’s side, trying his best to send him the most good vibes about Chanyeol as he could. Sehun noticed, and went to Chanyeol’s side, doing the complete opposite. He tried to send him horrible vibes, hoping it would deter him away from Kyungsoo.

 

Chanyeol was disheartened by this bad vibe, feeling like Kyungsoo was really annoyed by him. He was about to resign from helping him until Kyungsoo suddenly spoke.

 

“…Well…I guess it would be easier with your help.”

 

Chanyeol’s face brightened up, “Yeah, I mean, it’s the least I can do for you. I really hope it’s not sprained.”

 

Sehun glared over at Baekhyun again, realizing this was all his fault. Baekhyun stuck his tongue out at Sehun, cocky that he had won.

 

Unfortunately for them both, this was only the beginning.

 

 

﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

 

 

 

Kyungsoo couldn’t stop thinking about Chanyeol, even though it had been a few weeks now and he hadn’t seen him since they accidentally bumped into each other. It wasn’t normal for Kyungsoo to be like this, getting someone stuck in his thoughts so easily. He usually didn't spend his time thinking about other people, not even glancing as they passed by him in the halls. He had always been focused on himself, and honestly he was starting to get annoyed with himself for distracting his thoughts so much with a boy he had only met once.

 

Little did he know, it was all thanks to his overzealous guardian Baekhyun that Chanyeol kept popping up in his thoughts. He was working nonstop to make sure Kyungsoo didn’t forget that fateful meeting.

 

And then it all finally paid off. Baekhyun spotted Sehun walking across the school yard, accompanied by Chanyeol. Sehun noticed Baekhyun as well, and he gave Baekhyun a fierce glare before he turned to look at Chanyeol.

 

Baekhyun knew he was at a disadvantage, being fully aware of Kyungsoo’s non-sociable personality. It was going to take a lot to make them talk to each other again, but Baekhyun wasn’t giving up. He immediately sent Kyungsoo a strong urge to turn his head.

 

Kyungsoo reacted to the impulse, and quickly turned his head to look over in Chanyeol’s direction. He instantly spotted him, and the sight of Chanyeol made him stop moving. He stood still, staring at Chanyeol silently.

 

Meanwhile, Sehun was frantically trying his best to make Chanyeol hurry up, giving him the urge to rush to his next class. However, this proved to work against him, because as Chanyeol suddenly sped up, he tripped and fell. Sehun let out a disappointed sigh as he watched him, realizing he should have known this would happen.

 

It was then that Kyungsoo finally moved, acting against his own nature and quickly making his way over to Chanyeol. Reaching out his hand, he offered to help Chanyeol stand up.

 

“Are you ok?”

 

Chanyeol laughed, lifting his head slowly to meet Kyungsoo’s eyes. His eyes widened a little once he recognized the smaller boy, and he quickly extended his hand to accept Kyungsoo’s help.

 

“Oh hey, it’s you again! How is your wrist?”

 

With a strong pull, Kyungsoo helped him get back on his feet, “It’s fine, thanks.”

 

“Long time no see.” Baekhyun suddenly interjected, staring at Sehun with a mischievous expression.

 

Sehun glanced over at him, his eyes piercing and icy cold. He had nothing to say to Baekhyun, extremely displeased that he had lost this round. Baekhyun smiled, realizing that Sehun was being a sore loser. 

 

To loosen the mood, Baekhyun suddenly scooted closer to Sehun, snuggling up against him as he made an adorable pouting expression, “Don’t look at me like that Sehunieee~”

 

“What are you doing?” Sehun grimaced, trying to back away but failing as Baekhyun wrapped his arms around him and held onto him tightly.

 

Baekhyun smiled brightly, tilting his chin up to look at Sehun, “Making friends of course, since we’re going to be seeing each other so much.”

 

“No, we’re not.” Sehun abruptly replied, annoyance clear in his voice.

 

“It’s already happening.” Baekhyun answered, his warm smile turning into a satisfied smirk.

 

Sehun turned his head to look over at Chanyeol in concern, only to witness him happily chatting away with Kyungsoo. It seemed that Kyungsoo noticed the guitar Chanyeol was carrying, and they had quickly moved onto the topic of music, something they were both passionate about.

 

Sehun instantly began to struggle, getting out of Baekhyun’s grasp and smacking him away. He rushed to Chanyeol’s side, bringing a cloud of negative energy with him. Chanyeol sensed it, and suddenly went quiet. He started to doubt himself, feeling like he had been talking too much. Kyungsoo had been rather quiet, and Chanyeol wondered if he had been annoying him.

 

Baekhyun quickly went to salvage their conversation, and sent a warm comforting wave to Kyungsoo. It was all the encouragement Kyungsoo needed, his mind already teetering on a question he had never asked anyone before. He noticed Chanyeol getting antsy, considering the bell was about to ring. Before Chanyeol could excuse himself, Kyungsoo handed out his phone.

 

“Your number.” He asked, or more like demanded.

 

Chanyeol’s uneasy expression turned into a happy smile, relieved that Kyungsoo had also been enjoying their conversation. Taking his phone, Chanyeol quickly typed in his number.

 

Baekhyun smiled over at Sehun confidently, pleased that he had once again won. However, he honestly got a little frightened once he saw the livid expression on Sehun’s face. Sehun hated things not going according to plan, and this had gone horribly off track. He wasn’t sure how, but he was determined to fix the mess Baekhyun had made.

 

 

﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

 

 

 

It was late at night when Kyungsoo received a text, an unusual occurrence for someone as non-sociable as Kyungsoo. Being extremely nosey with Kyungsoo’s personal life, Baekhyun immediately came over to read it.

 

It was a text from Chanyeol, inviting Kyungsoo to go out with him and his friends to karaoke. In excitement, Baekhyun didn’t even wait to see how Kyungsoo was reacting before he sent him a wonderful happy vibe.

 

Kyungsoo smiled as he sent a response, relating how he was looking forward to it. A few more friendly texts were sent between them, discussing the time and place.

 

Baekhyun was beaming, wondering if Sehun was already asleep and failing to intervene. It was going far too easy, especially considering the fact that Chanyeol was the one who sent the first text.

 

However, Sehun was still a big problem, and Baekhyun knew he’d have to come up with a plan to make sure everything went well the following evening. He couldn’t have Sehun drowning Chanyeol with negative energy the whole time. After all, Chanyeol was going to eventually get weary of the bad feeling he aways got when he was near Kyungsoo.

 

After a little while of thinking, a mischievous smirk appeared on Baekhyun’s lips. He had the perfect idea. He already knew he was really going to enjoy this.

 

 

﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

 

 

Chanyeol laughed with his friends as they waited for the last person in their group to arrive. Sehun was nearby watching them all, an irritated expression on his face. He was in a horrible mood, not being able to prevent this evening from happening.

 

He refused to turn around as he listened to the footsteps coming up behind him, and the happy greeting Chanyeol sent the small boy Sehun was dreading to arrive. It wasn’t so much the boy himself that Sehun was dreading, but the man accompanying him.

 

“Sehuniee!” Baekhyun giggled as he jumped onto Sehun’s back, hanging off him as wrapped his arms around his neck, keeping his legs bent and off the floor.

 

“Get off.” Sehun answered in a monotone voice, trying his best to retain his composure.

 

“Come on, we’re going to be spending the whole night together. Try not to be so rude.”

 

“This is all your fault.” Sehun answered after a deep breath, “I’m not going to forgive you.”

 

“It’s not just me.” Baekhyun smiled, dropping himself off Sehun’s back, “Chanyeol and Kyungsoo both want this.”

 

Sehun didn’t answer, instead he kept his eyes on Chanyeol and Kyungsoo as they continued greeting each other. It was obvious that they were already growing feelings for each other, sharing shy smiles and awkward glances. Sehun knew it was the first step in the wrong direction, a very dangerous slope towards romance. A romance he hoped to sabotage before it got too serious.

 

Everyone sat down in the dark room together, Chanyeol’s friends introducing themselves to Kyungsoo one by one. They weren’t the only ones exchanging greetings though, the guardians of Chanyeol’s friends were also meeting Baekhyun for the first time, and happily shook hands with him. They stood at the back of the room together as they watched everyone, wishing they could also join in on the fun.

 

Chanyeol and Kyungsoo sat close together, chatting quietly with each other in-between songs. Baekhyun kept a close eye on Sehun, making sure he didn’t ruin this perfect moment. However, just as he predicted, it didn’t take long before he noticed Sehun sending negative vibes. It was time for his plan. 

 

As Sehun was busy glaring at Chanyeol, his vision was suddenly flipped to the ceiling, a small body knocking him over onto the floor. Sehun smacked hard onto the thin carpet, but luckily he was not able to experience the feeling of pain. Still, he was annoyed by the attack, and let out a shout of anger as he tried to get Baekhyun off him. Baekhyun struggled to pin him down, a grin on his face the entire time.

 

The other guardians began to watch them, and they couldn’t help laughing, never seeing someone treat Sehun like this before. As they wrestled together on the floor, Sehun continued to yell at Baekhyun to get off, much to everyone’s amusement. Baekhyun was giggling as well, trying his best to stay on top of Sehun. 

 

Finally gaining an opening, Baekhyun ceased the moment and lunged forward. Everyone went silent as they watched Baekhyun, suddenly smashing his lips against Sehun’s.

 

Sehun froze in shock, feeling the smaller male’s lips pressed against his own. It felt so soft, so warm and pure. Sehun couldn’t resist enjoying it for a moment, enchanted by the sensation. Baekhyun held the kiss as long as Sehun let him, wanting to distract Sehun as long as possible. After the shock eventually subsided, Sehun pulled his lips away, yelling at Baekhyun again.

 

“What is wrong with you?!”

 

Baekhyun just grinned back at Sehun, pleased to have executed his plan so well. It was extremely amusing to him, to rattle someone as serious and apathetic as Sehun. 

 

He watched Sehun squirm for a moment before he leaned forward again, assaulting Sehun with a flood of kisses, smashing their lips together over and over again. Sehun continued struggling, pulling Baekhyun away for a moment before he snapped back and landed another kiss, sometimes pressing his lips against his cheek or other part of his face.

 

“Stop it!!”

 

The other guardians continued laughing again, snickering quietly to themselves as they watched the strange battle in fr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter