Chapter 6

Such a Cliche

“Boys, come on wake up. We have guests coming today” Suho open the curtain inside the twins’ room. Sehun pull his blanket to his face to block the sunlight. Jongin didn’t bother one bit even when the light went straight to his face.

Suho shake his head. He does not have time for this. Kris will arrive in less than an hour and he needs to cook breakfast. He wakes up later than usual today and it’s not the right time to oversleep. He nearly goes back to sleep if not for the notification ping on his phone. A message from Kris saying that he is on his way already.

“Boys, I really need both of you to wake up and wash up now so I can make breakfast. Now, who wants pancake?!” Suho yell excitedly to boost the kids’ energy.

Sehun sit up, blink his eyes and open his arm for his father to carry. Suho smiles at his youngest twin. Satisfied that at least one of them are willing to wake up though the little boy in Suho’s arm take that opportunity to lay his little head on his father’s shoulder.

“Let’s get you ready for the day okay Hunnie? Kim Jongin, if you did not wake up now, I will give your pancake to your new hyung”

“HYUNG?!” Jongin instantly sit down with wide open eyes looking at his father.

“Yes! Now, wake up and go to the bathroom”

Suho walk inside the twins’ bathroom and start preparing their bath. He only let the water go until the twins’ ankle and let them sit down. Usually, Suho will let the water run until the twin’s thigh but he has no time to play with the boys.

“Appa, ducky?” Sehun point at the rubber duck sitting on the shelves inside the bathroom.

“Sorry Hun, not now, okay? Let me bath you quickly so I can make pancakes for you.” Suho quickly bath the twins and dress them up in record time. He only smiles when the kids look at him weirdly. He knows their routine is ruined today but he can’t do anything when he is expecting a guest this early. He should say before eleven in the morning but he does not want Zitao to skip breakfast.

After tidying up the twins’ bed, Suho bring the kids downstairs to let them play in their playpen. “Boys, Appa wants to take a shower first. Please behave, okay? I will be back in 10 minutes top” When he gets an okay from his sons, Suho ran back to his room to take a shower.

Suho was busy in the kitchen when the bell rang. He turns off the stove and ran to the front door to welcome his guest. When Suho open his house door he nearly blasts the door close. He scowls seeing his guest face smiling sheepishly. “Why are you wearing like that?” Suho ask, his arm folded in front of his chest. Clearly not amuse one bit.

“Why? What’s wrong with it?” Kris looks down on his outfit, trying to find flaws in it.

“You do know wearing all black does not mean you look cool right? In fact, it makes you look like a thief.”

“What do you want me to wear then? A ing rainbow?”

“Mind your words here Kris. I won’t hesitate to kick you out if I hear you swear once again. Now, where is your son?”

Kris turns around and point at a little boy standing beside Kris’ car. The boy wears the same outfit like his father. All black. Suho bit his lip to make sure he did not yell at Kris in front of a kid. Suho push Kris aside to go to the boy and bring him in himself.

Suho crouch down and smile at the boy. “Hello there, what’s your name?”

“Z-zitao” The little boy fidget, looking back and forth between his father and the man in front of him.

“Hello Zitao! Nice to meet you. My name is Suho. Are you hungry?” Suho ask the boy with so much enthusiasm to make sure the kid knows he means no harm. Suho only gets a careful nod from the boy. He notices the small exchange between the boy and his father. So, Zitao would not do anything without his father’s approval. This little boy is too conscious for his age and for my liking. Kids should express themselves freely and explore things without being restrain by their parents.

“Don’t be afraid, I am your father’s friend. Well, at least for now. Anyway, let’s go inside, yes? I make pancake and you can choose your own syrup.” Again, Suho caught Zitao looking at his father for approval. He really needs to do something about this. Children seeking approval from their parents is good but not for every single thing. He knows Zitao do that unconsciously as a defend mechanism. He is literally afraid if his father disapproves something and gets mad at him. Thus, he did that to make sure every action the little boy takes are within his father’s approval.

Suho ushers the father and son duo to come inside his house and straight to the kitchen. He went back to the living room to fetch his twins and bring them to the kitchen for breakfast.

As soon as Jongin sees Kris, he yells ‘Baba’ happily and stares at the boy beside Kris with sparkly eyes. Jongin turns to his father and eagerly point towards the boy. Suho smiles at the boy while at the same time putting the two boys on their high chair.

“Jongin, say hi to Zitao hyung”

“HELLO HYUNG! Me Nini and this Hunhun” Zitao got startled with the loud voice Jongin use to greet him. He stares wide eyes at the younger boy.

“Zitao, this two are my sons. Be friends with them, okay?” Once again, the young boy turns towards his father to see his reaction. When he gets a nod from his father, Zitao slowly turn to Suho and nod his head, a little smile appears on his small face. Suho smiles widely when he caught the subtle smile coming from the little boy. Why is Zitao so cute! A little angel indeed.

“Sehunnie, why don’t you say hello to Zitao hyung?” Suho carefully talks to his younger son, encouraging him to say hello to their guest. Sehun look up at his father, shaking his head and hiding his face in his small hands.

“Ahh, my baby boy is shy huh?” Suho chuckle at the younger twin’s shyness. Sehun clearly is very much curious about the boy but cannot help to feel shy and refusing to greet the other boy.

“Zitao, Sehun is a little shy but he surely wants to know you and play with you. How about we eat breakfast first and then you can play with Jongin and Sehun?” Zitao is obviously excited with the idea but couldn’t express himself freely. He turns his head to look at his father with hopeful eyes.

“You can play with them later Zitao” That was the first time Suho heard Kris actually say something to his son. However, the tone his using is not meant for a young boy. It lacks the fondness people usually use on little kids.

“Thank you, Baba” Suho raised his eyebrow seeing the interaction between Kris and Zitao. Okay, that was not how a five years old kid say thank you. Come on, no ‘Yeay’? no ‘THANK YOU!’ with capital letters while yelling excitedly? Zitao is too polite. Oh my god Kris… What have you done?

Suho shake his head. He can’t believe what he just witnesses.

“Kris, help me with the plate, will you?” Suho turns around from the island to continue cooking his pancake. He bosses Kris around his kitchen, telling him where to get the plates and mugs.

Once everything done, Suho ask kris to sit down and start eating. He makes sure Zitao had his pancake too before cutting two pancakes into small pieces. Then, he distributes them equally and putting them in the twin boy’s plate.

“Suho, I saw at least three paparazzi in front of your house just now. Another two on the way here. You need to do something about that” Kris says as he eats his second pancake with strawberry syrup. Suho push a box of tissue in front of Kris when he sees the latter struggle with excess syrup on his hand.

“Really? I only saw two. I should have a meeting with my PR team tomorrow then.” Suho wipe Sehun’s cheek that was covered with Chocolate Syrup.

“Then, let’s talk about last night event now”

Suho look up to say something to Kris but his attention falls on Zitao. The kid is struggling with his pancakes. Suho smiles, satisfied that the kid is not entirely an adult just yet. He gets up, sit beside Zitao and show him how to cut the pancake properly using only a spoon and a fork.

“Good job, Zitao! Do you want more chocolate syrup?” Suho pats the boy head gently while smiling to encourage the boy to say what he wants.

As usual, the kid turns to his father, asking for permission. “Zitao, when you are with me, you can answer without looking at your father. I will scold him if he scolds you, yeah?”

Zitao open his mouth to answer but close it back. He hesitates to do as what Suho told him. To him, Suho is a stranger. He should not talk to stranger without his father’s approval.

Suho gets up to stand beside Kris. He pinches Kris upper arm when he saw the latter keep eating his pancake and playing with his phone. Kris flinch when a sharp nail pierces his bicep. “That hurts you know? Why are you pinching me?” Kris glared at the owner of the house.

“Put away your phone”

“Oh, come on now. You are not my mom” Kris frown when Suho demands him to do things.

“I’m not, but I will be your husband. So, listen to your fiancé and put your phone away” Suho look straight in Kris eyes, challenging him to defy his demand. Kris sigh, closing apps on his phone before locking it and putting it inside his pocket.

“Good. Now, let Zitao know he can talk to me and the twins without waiting for your permission.”

“Huh? I never forbid him to talk though?”

“You sure? Because Zitao would not answer me without looking at you first” Suho whispered harshly to Kris. He glared hard at the man in front of him. Kris rolls his eyes but still turns to his right to talk to his son.

“Zitao, I trust Suho. So, you can talk to him freely and also play with the twins however you want.”

“Okay, Baba” Zitao look up and nod his head obediently.

“Great! Now, do you want more pancake Zitao?” Suho clap his hands once indicating that he is satisfied with Kris and Zitao.

“Only one, with pink syrup please”

“Pink syrup? That’s cute, but the name is strawberry.” Suho chuckle seeing Zitao blink his eyes but then smile when he can pronounce the name.

“Do you know how to read Zitao?”

Zitao shake his head instead of answering the question itself.

“What have you learned in school, Zitao?”

Before Zitao can response to Suho, Jongin grab his father’s attention. “Appa! Pancake!”

“Okay Nini. Hun, do you want more pancake?” Suho sees his younger twin nod his head couple of times. Suho take a piece of pancake on the table and put it in his plate to cut it into small pieces.

“I have not sent him to pre-school yet. I will send him next year” Kris says as he walks to the sink to wash his hand. “Zitao, have you finished eating yet?”

“Let him eat Kris. He still has some on his plate. Also, Zitao is five years old. He should have recognized his alphabet already” Suho distribute small pieces pancake to his two sons. He sees Zitao eyeing the small pieces and decide to take another pancake to be cut into another small pieces. Well, if the kids couldn’t finish their breakfast, Suho can always finish them himself.

“I think he knows some of the letters, but have yet to be able to form words”

“Send him to my company’s day-care. We have certified teachers there that can prepare them for pre-school.” Suho put the already cut pancake into Zitao’s plate.

“Oh no, it will take 20 minutes from my house to your office without traffic. With morning traffic? It will take an eternity to arrive there.”

“Stop exaggerating. It will take what? An hour top to arrive” Suho snort at Kris exaggeration.

“Yeah, still too long for me. So, the answer is no”

“Then, enrol him in day-care or preschool nearby your house” Suho ask Kris to pass him one rubber band hanging beside the fridge. Suho tied Zitao’s hair forming an apple bun to make it easy for the kid to eat.

“It’s April already. School would not want new students”

“That is why I ask you to put him in my company’s day-care. Jongin and Sehun are there too so he would not be lonely”

Kris looks at Suho intently. “Are we seriously going to talk about this?”

“What’s wrong with it?” Suho ask without looking at the man standing with his hands fold on his chest.

“We aren’t even married yet and we are discussing about my kid’s education”

“Well, while this whole thing is arranged by our parents, we also agree to proceed with the wedding. So, might as well go all in. You know I’m all for the kids and you are in for Zitao. Let’s focus on them and forget about our relationship. Take it as we co-parenting them for their future. Make it or break it Kris”

Kris sigh. He closes his eyes, slowly digesting what Suho said. He opens his eyes and Suho sees determination in those eyes. “Okay then, let’s make it work. Whatever happen in the future, happen. The most important thing for now are the kids.”

“Good. Now, I want you to think what to do with Zitao’s school. Are you going to send him in my company’s day-care or somewhere near your house?”

“I can pick a day-care around my area. However, I won’t be able to pick him up. Should I hire a driver for him?”

Suho glared at Kris as soon as Kris finish his sentence. He nearly throws a butter knife at him but resort to only throw a napkin to Kris face. Should not murder his fiancé before he married him. Might as well get Kris fortune if he wants to murder that giant. I will kill this giraffe in his sleep after the marriage. Wait, no. Kill him after a couple of months. Should not make it too obvious.

Suho clicked his tongue with obvious distaste. Suho ignored Kris questioning look and proceed to avert his attention to the three kids. “Have you all finish eating?”

“Yes! Nini wants play!!” Jongin tries to climb down from his highchair but Suho caught him before he falls down.

“Kim Jongin, what did Appa say about climbing down without me by your side?”

“B-but Zizi can?” Jongin tilt his head looking at his father.

“Zizi?” Suho look at Jongin’s pointed finger and he chuckled. “Zitao hyung?” Suho ask.

“Yeah! Zizi!”

“Your Zitao hyung is not sitting in highchair. So, the chair is not as high and he can go down himself”

“Why?” This time Sehun ask his father. The little boy still sits on his highchair obediently. Although, his focus was on Zitao.

“Because Zitao don’t need one. He’s a big boy already. You both will also sit on adult chair next year, okay?” The two boys nod their heads. Happy they can sit on adult chair as what they always said whenever they see other kids sit on normal chair.

“Now, I want you both to show Zitao around and go play in the play pen, okay? Share your toys with him, will you?” When the twins nod their heads, Suho turns to Zitao and smile kindly at the five years old.

“Zitao, you follow Jongin and Sehun, okay?” Before Zitao can nod his head, the boy was suddenly pulled away from the kitchen. Jongin grab Zitao’s hand and pull him along with Sehun to the living room. Excited to show his hyung around the house and to play with the latter.

“Since the kids are busy, let’s continue our conversation. Where were we?” Suho turns his attention back on Kris.

“The driver?”

“Yeah, no. No driver for Zitao”

“Then, who’s going to pick him up? The nanny?” Kris furrowed his eyebrows, thinking deeply about the situation.

“Nope. You”

“How? I always come home around 9 pm or if I need to finish my work then around 10.30 pm”

Suho shake his head hearing Kris’ answer. “What time you usually went out to work?”

“Around 6.30 am to 7 am. Why?”

“…That is the reason why Zitao never really talks to you. Are you perhaps, avoiding him?” Suho raise his eyebrow at the man standing opposite him.

“No?” Kris averts his eyes, busying himself with the glass in his hand.

“Yeah, right. So much for being the adult between you two” Suho roll his eyes. He pushes Kris out of his way and start washing the dishes.

“Then, what are you suggesting me to do?” Kris stands beside Suho at the sink.

“Like I said, you pick Zitao up from his day-care. Start with that. After both of you feels comfortable with the routine, start asking him questions. Wait for him to answer you.”

“Will that work?” Kris asks that more to himself than to Suho. He silently wipes the plates and glasses using the cloth Suho gave to him.

Suho let Kris ponder his thoughts on his own. He cleans up all kitchen appliances and utensils he used to cook their breakfast.

After Suho cleans everything, he asks Kris to join him in the living room. From the living room, they can hear the kids playing in the twins’ room upstairs. Suho turn on the TV but mute it to make sure they can hear what the other is talking about without any distraction.

“Kris, come here and sit beside me. Let’s talk about you and Zitao” Suho pats the sit beside him. When Kris sat himself down, Suho pull his legs up to sit cross leg on the sofa while facing his guest. Kris mirror Suho’s action but only with one leg on the sofa and the other one hanging on the sofa’s leg.

They stare at each other for a while when suddenly Suho let a soft smile gracing his face. Kris was taken aback when he sees a genuine smile coming from his fiancé’s lips. Not a sarcastic smile, not a smirk and definitely not a teasing smile. That kind of smile was the first time he saw on his fiancé’s face. With a bang covering his forehead, Suho’s whole features turns very soft compared to his everyday life.

“Don’t be so stiff Kris. I won’t bite you. Although, I am very much wanting to punch you and yell the hell out of you but I don’t think it will solve anything. So, I will help you as much as I can. However, you need to promise me that you will take the initiative to help yourself. If you did not, I won’t be able to help you. Promise me?”

Kris sigh. He rubs his nape couple of times before nodding his head.

“Okay, good. Now, I notice the way you spoke to your son. Wait, maybe we should not talk about that first. Let’s reschedule your time at work. I want you to go out to work at 8 am, and come back at 7 pm. Can you do that?”

“No, traffic would be hell around that time. That’s why I like to go out before 7 am and come back after 8 pm.” Kris shake his head. Refusing the idea to go through heavy traffic.

“Then, go out at 9 am and come back at 5 pm. There will still be traffic but it is manageable”

“Not enough time to complete my work”

Suho shut his eyes for a second to calm himself down. Dealing with his fiancé is harder than his twins apparently.

“Do you have your own work station in your house?” Although, Suho hates the idea of bringing unfinish work to home, he needs to cater with Kris daily life. He could not change it to 360 degrees without Kris going crazy about the sudden change in his lifestyle.

“Yeah, but I rarely use it because I always feels like working in the office is more efficient.”

“Start transforming your work station like your second office. I don’t really like the idea of you bringing work at home but you need this. If not, you can go wild with the sudden change. So, tomorrow I want you to go to your office and copy every single file and put it in your hard drive. Buy a desktop if you don’t have one and set it up in your office at home. Okay?” Suho look carefully at his fiancé. Trying to make sure the latter is following what he had say.

“Why?”

“I want Zitao to get use with your presence. I know he rarely sees you. This is the first step. You don’t have to suddenly talk to him. I know it will be hard because you barely see your son and has close to no time for interactions whatsoever. So, just be near him for the time being is enough. When he starts to be comfortable around you then we can start on how you speak to him.”

Kris ponders on the idea for a while before nodding his head firmly.

“Great. Now, when you are at home in your office, make sure you did not close the door. Let it open so you can hear what Zitao do.”

“I think I can do that.” Kris nods his head, agreeing with the terms Suho put on.

“I guess, that is all for now. Set up your home office then you are set to go to work at 9 am and come back at 5 pm. You can continue your work after dinner. Oh yes, before I forgot, do not sleep after midnight. You need your sleep. Do you know you have panda eyes? Man, that’s ugly” Suho laugh when Kris flick his forehead gently. The flick was barely there because Suho manage to move a little when he see Kris move his hand.

“Can I ask about Zitao’s mother? If it’s not a heavy topic for you?” Suho hesitant to ask but he is too curious about Kris’ ex-wife.

“Nothing much to say. She ran away with my money when Zitao was barely 2 years old.”

“What? What kind of woman did you marry?”

“I marry her in Vegas when both of us were drunk. We get marry and then we . Boom! The girl is pregnant with Zitao” Kris says nonchalantly as if getting someone pregnant was his daily life. Was it?

“You are kidding me” Suho deadpanned.

“No, I am not. I was wild. Like wild wild you know? My life was all about party and women. Ask Baekhyun if you did not believe me” Kris tell Suho about his past. There’s nothing to hide. He was like that back in college and his early twenties. After having Zitao, he slows down and finally stop all of it for the better.

“Don’t tell me you are in a varsity team” Suho shake his head in disbelief.

“Ha! I was the team captain honey”

“No! Please don’t be basketball, please?” Suho desperately pleads at his fiancé. The smirk on Kris face makes him cry a little. “Oh my god. My fiancé was a typical jock. I swear to myself to never get in a relationship with a sport person in college. Now, look at me!”

“Considering that it happened nearly a decade ago? You can rest assured that I am no longer in varsity team or worst, a team captain.”

“Urgh, whatever. Then, what happen to your ex-wife?”

“Nothing. A week after she ran, divorce paper come to my house. I signed it and send back to the sender”

“…Don’t you ever regret divorcing your wife?”

“No. I was glad. She’s not a good mother and will never be. She has a wild lifestyle too. Being tied in a marriage isn’t something she wish for. I at least stop playing around when Zitao was born but she went back right after she finish her confinement. She went for clubbing, go drinking with her friends, getting drunk and all that. I was waiting for her to be a mother but she never be. So, when she ran away, I know I need to let her go”

“Do you love her?”

“I like her because she’s gorgeous. Other than that? Not an ounce of feeling for her. The only thing I regret is not able to provide a good mother for my son. Zitao is my life yet I failed to give the most important thing for him. A loving mother”

“I’m sorry. I am so stupid to think that it would not be a heavy topic.”

When Kris saw Suho’s crestfallen face, Kris could not help but to ruffles the fluffy hair. “Don’t be sorry. It isn’t as heavy as your late wife. One day you need to tell me about her. I bet she’s amazing” and I bet you love her very much huh Suho?

Suho smiles sadly when he remembers his late wife face. Suho let out a sigh before looking up at his guest. “She was the best woman and the best mother for my children. I won’t trade her for anything in the world” not because I am in love with her but because I owe her. Without her, I would not be who I am today.

The couple continue talking about a bunch of things until the kids come running downstairs demanding to be fed. It was late in the evening when Kris and Zitao bid the family of three their goodbyes and promises to come again from the twins. They agreed to meet once a week before the wedding take place. 


I only finishes 80% of chapter 7 but I decide to update today. I will try to finish chapter 7 asap so that I can start with the next chapter. I hope you guys enjoy this chapter and sorry for the late update. I got caught up with life hahahahah