Chapter 3

Such a Cliche

Note: Proofread? Checked.


‘Hello Mr. Byun, CEO Wu is with me right now. He insists to let him meet with CEO Kim this instant. Would you want to meet him first or I can bring him directly to Mr. Kim’s office?’

‘Please bring him to my office first.’

‘Noted, Mr. Byun. We’ll be there in a few minutes’

‘Thank you’ Baekhyun says, the phone speaker went silent after his assistant hang up. He rearranges important documents on his desk for him to put aside and review later on. A few minutes later, someone knock on his door. He assumes that would be CEO Wu and his assistant.

“Sorry for interrupting Mr. Byun.” Baekhyun looks up when he heard his assistant’s voice and smiles at the petite woman.

“Thank you, Yumi. You may continue your work. I will let you know if I need anything. CEO Wu, it’s a pleasure to meet you. Please come in and take a seat.” Once the door closed, Baekhyun turn his attention toward his guest. He smirks a little when he saw a scowl perch on his guest handsome face.

Baekhyun smiles, hands intertwine on his desk. “So, Mr. Wu, what can I help you with? Would you like to know about the progress for our joint project in China?”

“That would be great but I’m not here for the project. I’m sure you already know about that right?” CEO Wu smiles mockingly.

“If that so? Then, how may I help you Mr. Wu?” Baekhyun ask, eyes twinkle with mischief.

“Tell you what? I will just be straight forward with you. I’m here because I would like to meet Mr. Kim. Is he here?” CEO Wu raise his eyebrow, looking straight at the company’s secretary in front of him.

“Fortunately, yes, he is here. However, I can’t simply let you meet him Mr. Wu. I’m sorry but procedure need to be followed.”

“Even if it’s an emergency?”

“Emergency would be a special case. However, I don’t see your unannounced visit as emergency even with your status as our important client partner in projects.”

“I see…”

“Yes. You should let your assistant contact me first before you come here. I’m sure you had the same policy in your company isn’t it, CEO Wu?” A teasing smile sat on the secretary’s face.

“True. But… Come on, Baekhyun. This is important. Please, do it for a friend?”

“Huh… So, you admit I’m your friend now?”

“We have known each other for more than ten years. Of course, you are my friend. Baekhyun, please… Just let me meet him. Also, it nearly lunch time. So, he should be ready to go for lunch, right?”

“Hmm… You want to take him on a date? You work fast Kris Wu”

“Park Baekhyun!” Kris groaned when he saw a teasing smirk on his friend face.

“It’s Byun Baekhyun”

“Really now?”

“Yes, because we are in the office and not family meeting.”

“Sure, whatever you say. Now, can you please me to his room?”

“Fine, wait a second” Baekhyun push a button on his key phone and speak up once he heard a ‘Yes’ coming from the other side of the line. ‘Mr. Kim, someone is here to meet you. Says it’s urgent. I’ll be sending him to you now.’ Baekhyun end the conversation and dial another extension. ‘Yumi, please CEO Wu to Mr. Kim’s office. Thank you’

“My assistant will bring you there.”

“Thanks, Baekhyun.”

“Anytime. Just don’t forget to invite me to your wedding, okay?” Baekhyun wink at his friend. Kris can only roll his eyes because Baekhyun’s assistant already arrive to him.

“Mr. Wu, please follow me” The assistant opens the door wide to let the CEO out of her boss office. She closes the door and signal for Kris to follow her.

Yumi knock three times on the mahogany door, opening it to announce her arrival with the Kim Co. CEO’s guest. “You can let my guest in. Thank you, Yumi” Kris heard a voice calling out from inside.

“Mr. Wu, please come in” Yumi hold the door open and close it once the Wu Corp’s CEO went inside the room.

Suho stands up to great his guest but froze when he saw who’s standing in front of him. “…What are you doing here?” Suho raise his eyebrow, sitting back on his chair. There’s no need to be formal with this guy.

“We need to discuss. Let’s have a lunch together”

“Haven’t I said to meet me this Saturday? Or perhaps, you miss me already?” Suho smiles evilly at the guy in front of him which the later reply with a snort.

“You wish. I’m here because we need to discuss about the arrangement. So, please let have a lunch together.”

“As much as I want to entertain you, I can’t. I’m sorry but I need to fetch my kids and feed them.”

“Your kids? They are here?” Kris looks confuse when Suho mention his kids.

“Yes, they are here. There’s a nursery on the first floor. You didn’t know about that?”

“…No? Okay, whatever. Just let your kids join us.”

“Are you sure Kris?”

“Yes. So, can you please?” Kris gesture at the door to let the CEO know his impatient and need Suho to agree with him. Suho sigh but nod his head. He collects his things and let Baekhyun knows he’s fetching his kid and going out with Kris Wu.

The walk to the elevator fill with complete silent between them. Only a few greetings were exchange between both CEO and the Kim Co. employees.

Once arrive at the first floor, Suho lead the other CEO to his twin nursery. He smiles widely and open his arm to catch both his sons in his embrace. Kris watches the interaction with interest. Deep in his heart, he would love to have the same interaction with his son.

“So, where do you want to eat? I can drive you there” Kris ask once Suho done helping his kids wear their shoes.

“Anywhere is fine. Though, I need to know if you have car seats for my babies?” Suho ask Kris skeptically which the later only smiles sheepishly. “Then, we are taking my car. You can still drive though. Here is my car keys” Suho pull out his car keys from his slack pocket and put it in Kris hand. He retreats his hand away when he realizes how small his hand compared to the other CEO. And he hates it.

Arrived at the parking lot, Suho ask Kris to start the car engine while he buckles his kids in their respective car seat. “Appa! Who is your friend? He soooo tall!” Jongin ask his father, eyes focus on the guy in the driver seat. He tilts his head when Kris looks back and smile at the boy.

“He’s Appa’s friend. Say hello to him and tell him your name” Suho says, hands busy checking the baby seats strap to make sure it safely locks.

“Hello! My name is Jongin!” Jongin says happily, clapping his hand when his father praises him because he manages to complete his sentence.

“Hello Jongin, my name is Kris. What about you, young man? What is your name?” Kris turns his attention to the other twin. So far, he only heard a few words coming from the boy’s mouth.

The little boy hides his face behind his plushie and look at his twin as in asking for help. Jongin nod his head, turning to his Appa’s friend. “His name is Sehun. He shy!” Jongin smiles widely, left hand patting his twin’s head.

“Kris, let’s go. I already put the location on the car’s GPS. I hope you don’t mind?”

“I don’t mind.” Kris let a smile grace on his face. He pulls the car out from the parking lot and starts driving to their location. According to the GPS, they will arrive in less than ten minutes. Suho put a kid show to occupy the kids while he talks to Kris.

“So, what do you want to discuss?” Suho ask casually.

Kris looks back at the kids sitting in the back as in trying to make sure they won’t listen to whatever he wants to say. Suho rolls his eyes. “Kris, they would not understand what we are going to talk about. They are only three, you know.” Suho shakes his head half amuse.

“Sorry. Umm… Let’s talk when we arrive at the restaurant yeah?”

“Sure.” Suho says and nod his head. Well, if Kris don’t want to talk then he wouldn’t say anything either.

Few minutes after the drive, they finally arrive at their location. It was delayed due to traffic cause by an accident. They were lucky because the accident happens before their arrival.

Kris was shocked when he saw children running around the restaurant. There are mothers and a lot of children. Kris feels lightheaded with so many children running and screaming everywhere.

He looks around only to find himself standing awkwardly at the entrance. He searches for Suho and find him standing in front of the cashier to order. He walks carefully to make sure he’s not stepping on food or worst, kids.

Kris exhales when he finally reaches beside Suho. He searches for Suho’s twin when he didn’t see the kids near the latter. When he saw the twins, Kris unconsciously keeping his eyes on them.

The twins busy pointing out different toys on the display table. He saw Sehun turning around to look for his father but when his eyes met with Kris, the little boy turn around quickly.

Kris doesn’t know why but he feels disappointed, dejected even when Sehun refuse to look at him more than five seconds. Do I look scary? Is that why kids never like me? Does Tao feel the same whenever he looks at me? Kris subconsciously lost in his thoughts. He only come back into reality when Suho nudge his side.

Kris takes the tray from Suho’s hand when he saw the small guy struggle to balance their food. Suho says his gratitude and ask Kris to find empty place while he go fetch his twin.

“Kriseu!” Jongin calls the tall man once his father settles him on the restaurant highchair.

“It’s Uncle Kris”

“a-ankle?” Jongin tilt his head in confusion.

“Uncle”

“Un-kel?”

“Close enough. Now try say Uncle Kris”

“Kriseu?”

“Uncle Kris”

“…Kriseu?” Jongin eyes brims with tears. Frustrated because he can’t pronounce the right word.

“It’s okay Jongin, don’t cry. You can call me Baba. Try say ‘Baba’?”

“Ba-ba… Baba!” Kris feels satisfied and pat the little guy head, telling the kid he did a good job.

Suho on the other hand chokes on his food. He patted his chest repeatedly to make the food flow down his esophagus. Suho glared at the other CEO but still accept a bottle of water offered by the giant.

“Why are you telling my kid to call you that?!” Suho whispered harshly at the guy.

“He struggles to say my name, so I teach him the easy way to call me” Kris has the audacity to smile at the furious man in front of him.

“Don’t be an , Kris! Tell my kid to call you by your name, now!”

“This is why we need to discuss. I change my mind.”

“Why?!”

“I need your help”

“Need my help? On what exactly?”

“My kid” Kris ends the conversation just like that. He focusses his attention on his food and occasionally nodding to whatever Jongin says to him. When he tries to talk to the other twin, Sehun, the little boy turns his head, unconsciously grabbing his father’s hand as in to find comfort.

“Kris” Suho softly calls the Wu Corp’s CEO’s name. He finally calms himself from their little argument. Kris doesn’t say anything. He only looks at Suho’s face with blank face. Suho sigh before opening his mouth.

“Are you free tonight? Let’s discuss this between the two of us. I don’t think this is the right time and place to discuss.”

“Yes. Meet me at the same restaurant we last saw each other tonight around 7:30 p.m.? Is that okay with you? I will book VIP room so we can discuss without prying eyes and people eavesdropping”

“Okay, then. We discuss this tonight. Finish your food so we can go back to work”

-

Kris anxiously waits for Suho’s arrival. He fidgets a lot because this is in fact nerve wracking for him. He never thought he would ever agree with arrange marriage more over with another man. Then again, he truly needs this. He will sacrifice his own happiness if that is the only way for his son to grow up happily and healthily.

The door of the small private room he currently sat suddenly slides open. He slowly looks up, praying that whoever open the door would not be his companion for tonight. Kris is not ready. He badly needs this but he doesn’t have the courage to actually do it.

Unfortunately for him, it is the same man he’s been waiting for albeit a bit reluctantly. He offers a small polite smile at the small man in front of him. The said man only replies with a sharp stare successfully giving him a chill in his body.

“I don’t have the whole evening to spend. Either you start talking now or I would find it by myself.” His tone is sharp but still polite in his own weird way.

Kris gulp. Indeed, one of the most nerve wrecking moment in his life. “Let’s order food first yeah?” Kris avoid Suho’s intense gaze. He calls appointed waiters for the night and ask the guy to bring food just enough to keep their energy stable this late in the evening.

Once their order serves on the table, they eat together silently. Only a few glances were exchange during the whole dinner. Throughout the dinner, Suho kept his eyes on Kris. Hoping to find any clue to what had been playing inside the older man head. He would love to unravel the man before his eyes but they barely knew each other. Therefore, Suho settle with observing the man’s body language.

Done eating dinner, they continue staring at each other’s face. If the stares are loving stares, people wouldn’t mind. However, both CEO are actually trying to find the right topic to start their discussion. Suho’s waiting the other to start explaining himself but the other CEO actually waiting to be questioned.

Suho sigh when he realizes that trying to communicate with Kris using his eyes would not be any different than staring at a wall. He pinches his nose in annoyance before exhaling loudly to gain Kris’ attention. He wasn’t disappointed when the man jolt awakes from his day dreaming.

Suho cleared his throat before telling him to start talking once again. “Kris, please do me a favor and actually start talking. If you still wouldn’t open your mouth, I consider what happen this evening as one of your jokes.”

“N-NO! I will talk. Just… give me a minute to calm down?” Kris plead; voice tight with nerve.

Suho nod his head, right hand reach for a glass of water seated on the table in front of him. “Talk whenever you feel ready. Don’t take too long. Please…” He sips his water slowly too cool of his own nerve.

“Can you… Ask me questions? I don’t know where to start” Kris smiles sheepishly.

Suho close his eyes a bit but doesn’t hesitate to ask “Why?” A simple question but perfectly understood by the man

“Because, I believe you are my key”

“Key? Key to what exactly?”

“Key to my son’s happiness” Suho froze at that. He can’t believe someone actually believe their kids’ happiness lies in the hand of others and not themselves.

“I’m the key to your son’s happiness? Kris, a child happiness lies on how their parents portray happiness itself. You just need to find things that can make your son happy. Sometimes, just a soft smile can make your child feels happy.”

“That is why, I need you to be the other parent to teach my son how to be happy…”

“Why don’t you? I believe he will be happier if his own father teaches him ways of being happy in this world.”

“I c-can’t.”

“Why?”

“Be-because, we barely talk with each other.” Kris avoids Suho’s stares when the man narrows his eyes on him.

“What do you mean by that? Explain.” Hint of venom shows in Suho’s way of saying those words.

“It just… I don’t know how to approach him first.”

“Okay, let’s do this. What do you usually do on weekends?”

“W-well, I woke up around 11 in the morning. Usually, Zitao would be up by then. I will ask him to wash up while I take a shower myself. I will take Zitao out for a lunch at nearby restaurant or fast food. Depends on our mood. After that, we just go straight home. I will do my things in my work place while Zitao entertain himself. Dinner will be served by someone I hired. After that, we will go to sleep. The next morning, the same thing happen”

“While you guys having lunch, what would you usually talk about?” Suho tried so hard not to explode. He can’t believe they skip breakfast. What is he thinking?! Breakfast is the most important meal in our life!

“N-nothing?” Kris tries to remember if they ever talk about anything together. However, nothing came to his mind.

“Nothing? Please elaborate”

“Meaning, we just eat silently. No question asks”

“Kris, have you ever tried having a conversation with your kid?”

“I do! But, h-he never answered me. It’s either he shakes or nod his head. He most likely just ignored me completely. I-I don’t know what to do anymore” Kris looks extremely frustrated with the whole situation he was in.

“Kris, when was the last time you heard him cry?”

“I-I…” Kris suddenly stays quiet. His eyes become watery, hands ball into a fist.

“Kris?”

“S-Suho! I-I pushed him! I pushed my son. He cried so hard b-but I ignore him. He was four when he come to me… calling me ‘Baba’ with toys in his hand. I was having a bad day and we were alone. His nanny already went home five minutes before I arrive. I got home, Z-zitao came running to me. He showed his new toy, probably bought by his nanny but I ignore him. I-I think I yell at him and push him out of my way. I lock myself in my room. I heard him calling me multiple times. I open the door only to yell at him some more. I ask him to go away a-and never talk to me again. I slam the door right in front o-of his small body. I saw his face wet with tears but I was too enrage to do something about it. T-the next morning, I saw him sleep with toys scattered on his bed. I wake him up and ask about the toys, I was still a little pissed off so I didn’t realize he actually clean his toys silently. I d-don’t even realize he doesn’t try to talk to me for like three days until one day, I ask him something and he just nod his head” A lone tear escape Kris’ eyes.

Suho swallow a lump in his throat. He stands up and pace around the small VIP room. He doesn’t know what to say. Zitao is just a small kid. He barely knew anything. What’s wrong and what’s right. He can never imagine yelling at his angels.

“Suho… I need you. I need you to teach me how to be a good father. I need you to be Zitao’s comfort when I wasn’t there with him. I need you to just be there for him. I-I’m sorry if my proposition is too much for you. I can’t offer you anything in return but I swear I would do anything for you to help me rebuild my relationship with my son. Zitao is everything to me. I am only one hopeless single parent who struggle to interact with his son let alone be a good role model to him.” Long gone the powerful CEO Suho had always known. The man in front of him are just a miserable man. He wants the best for his son but actually doing the opposite.

“…Let me meet your son. Let see what fate will do for us. Just like your ‘condition’, if your son likes me, then maybe I will accept your proposition.” Suho left the restaurant without any other word.


Repost.