Chapter 1

Such a Cliche

Notes: Proofread? Checked.


The sunlight peeking inside Suho Kim’s bedroom is enough to wake him up from his sleep. He stretches his body, feeling the bed to find his phone. Suho sits up and ruffles his hair before getting down from the bed. The single father washes his face before walking out from his bedroom straight to his sons’ shared bedroom.

Suho smiles when he saw the twins cuddling up against each other even though they got their own bed. They are only three years old but Suho would like to teach them to be independent at a young age. Though, he tends to spoil the kids rotten. He’s a single parent and he had to be both strict and soft.

Suho sat down beside his sons and immediately rain kisses on both of the baby’s cheeks to wake them up. “Morning sunshine! Nini, Hunnie, wake up sweetie. Let’s shower together and have breakfast yeah?” The older twin didn’t even budge. He just lay there and ignores his father. Suho knew his oldest boy is already awake because he whines when Suho tried to pull his blanket away. Instead, the boy pushed his father away and buried his face back in his blanket. Suho cooed at his son’s behavior, planting more kisses on the boy’s sun kissed skin.

Done showering his older son with smooches, he averts his attention to the younger one. “Sehunnie, baby, wake up and give me kisses” Suho coos at his son giving the same treatment as the older. When little Sehun had enough with his father’s antics, he sat up and climb on his father’s lap, hugging him before putting his head on his father’s shoulder and close his eyes to sleep again. Suho, just like every morning, hugs his dear son close to him, ran his hand on the boy’s back and patting his bum.

Suho stands up with Sehun still in his arms and walk inside the bathroom that was attached to the twins’ bedroom. He sat the boy down and starts taking off Sehun’s pyjamas. Though Sehun’s eyes still close, he still put his hands up when he feel his father try to take off his pyjama shirt.

Suho sat Sehun down on toilet bowl and tell the boy to pee while he set up the bathtub for the twins. The father wash his son’s face before putting him in the bathtub and let the kid play as he went to fetch his older son. Getting his older boy to take a bath was a bit of a struggle. The boy refused to open his eyes no matter what Suho said.

At last, Suho wash his older son himself, from brushing his teeth to shampooing his hair. The sun kissed baby still keeps his eyes closed even after Suho was done washing him up. “Kim Jongin… Why are you this lazy hmm?” Suho said, turning his head towards Sehun to check on him as he wraps Jongin in a fluffy towel.

Suho went over to his younger son who is busy playing with his rubber ducks. “Hunnie, let’s go. We need to get you to the day-care today” Sehun look up when he heard his name but looks away when he catches a rubber duck floating in front of him. Suho smiles before pulling off the bathtub drain stopper.

“Urghh… Appa! Du-ducky!!” Sehun wails, tears forming on his beautiful eyes. “Baby, why are you crying? What’s wrong?” Suho pulls his son out of the bathtub, also covering him in a similar towel as his older twin. Sehun points his small finger inside the bathtub. “Ducky no float! Appa… ducky die!” Fat tears running down his chubby cheeks. “Ducky dies? Oh…” Suho picks up one of the many rubber ducks and squeeze it a few times so that the toy makes a quack-sound.

“Hun! Ducky no die! See?” Jongin shows his own rubber duck. The child managed to climb back into the bathtub. “Jongin… Why are you in the bathtub?” Suho huffed and pulls Jongin out with his unoccupied arm. He makes the twins stand in front of the mini sink for kids and make them wash the rubber duck before letting them keep the toys in their bedroom.

After he dressed the boys, Suho brings them down to the kitchen and put them in their highchair. The father gave each of them a carton of chocolate milk. Suho made a quick move of grabbing a bowl and three eggs from the fridge to make a simple scramble eggs for their breakfast. They eat breakfast together in silent with occasional babbles from the twins. Even though they already turned three years old this year, they still haven’t start talking in full sentences yet. Suho didn’t mind because he can still understand the kids perfectly.

Done with breakfast, Suho ask him to play in their play-pan while he dresses himself for work. Twenty minutes later, he checks every room to make sure all the lights and air-conditioners are off before climbing downstairs to fetch his sons. “Jongin, Sehun, come on, let’s go.” The twins come running to him with their little feet right into their father open arms, giggling when their father rain kisses on their small face.

Fortunately, buckling the twins in their car seats wasn’t a big deal that morning as they are already distracted by Pororo animation playing in the car’s mini TV. Suho seats in his driver seat, looking back at the twins to make sure they are safe before pulling off his driveway.

It was a thirty minutes’ drive from his house to the company. It was a bit far but convenient for his kids to grow up in a family friendly neighborhood. Suho believes that neighborhood is very important because that’s where your kids will grow up and make friends. Therefore, when he knew his late wife was pregnant with the twins, he immediately searched up a suitable place for the four of them to live in. Sadly, his wife suffered from internal bleeding after the twins’ delivery and was announce dead the day after. It was hard for the new father but he managed. Now, three years after, he is as happy as he can be with his precious twins.

After he arrived at his office lobby, he can see his secretary waits for him. Suho smiles when his secretary opened his back door to pick up one of the twins. “Morning boss! Today I will hold Sehun, you pick Jongin okay boss?”

“Sure. Do whatever you want Baek” Suho rolls his eyes when his secretary ignored him and continue gushing over his twins. Kissing them like he never met them before albeit meeting the twins almost every day. No wait, it is every day because Suho send his kids in the company’s day-care and it is Byun Baekhyun’s duty to help him send the kids there.

Suho climbs off from his driver’s seat to get Jongin from the baby’s car seat. Jongin was asleep when Suho unbuckle his car seat and still peacefully asleep even when he picked him up. Suho walks up to his secretary who had been bribing Sehun to kiss him good morning. Sehun loves the attention, giggling when he push Baekhyun face away from his chubby cheeks.

Suho stops in front of them and smiles at Sehun before leaning forward giving his cheeks which instantly the baby kiss his father’s cheek sloppily. “Good boy! Let me kiss you back” Suho puckered his lips and Sehun lean in to let his father smooch his baby cheeks, clapping his tiny hand happily when the father pecks his lips. His secretary pouts at the scene unfold in front of him. He wants a kiss too, mind you.

“Sehunnie, give uncle Baekhyun a kiss yeah? If not Appa will have to deal with a moody secretary today” As if he understands what his father said, Sehun cup the secretary’s face and peck him right on his lip which results on the baby getting multiple kisses on his tiny face.

“Are you done Baekhyun?” Suho raises his eyebrow when his trusted employee still kept in his own world with Sehun in his arm.

“Ha? I can never be done with this cutie here!” Baekhyun once again kissing his son’s face until the boy starts squirming. “Baekhyun, stop it. Sehun will cry if you continue” The secretary stops his mini-infatuation towards the boy in his arm, smiling apologetically at his boss before pulling out a bar of chocolate from his pocket.

Suho just let Baekhyun do whatever he wanted and walks away to the day care at the first floor. The lift to the first floor arrived not long after he pushed the lift button. Some of his employees in the lift greet him politely and not so subtly cooing at his sleeping son. The lift emptied once everyone got out of the metallic moving box save for the elevator boy. He looks back and found Baekhyun trailing behind him with a big smile on his face. Baekhyun is a good friend of him and he was the one who helped him when he lost his wife.

Baekhyun and his husband, boyfriend at that time are the one he seeks when he cried at night back when the kids were still some weeks old. Suho smiles at the memory. If it was not because of them, Suho afraid he would have given up on his kids. He shuddered at the thought of giving his sons up to strangers. Suho look down at his sleeping son in his arm, kissing Jongin’s forehead with tears pooling in his eyes. He can never imagine how lonely his life would be if his sons were not with him until today.

Baekhyun looks at him when he stands beside his boss smiling and pulling him in a side hug to give a subtle assurance that he will always be beside Suho for him to lean on. A silent thank you was heard which his secretary reply with a wink. Suho chuckled at his best friend’s antic. “No seriously Baek, Thank you”

“No need to thank me Junmyeon hyung” Baekhyun smile softly at his boss also known as his best friend. Once they reach the first floor, Suho and Baekhyun immediately walk to the day care. Dropping off the kids was easy since both of them fell asleep just before they arrive at the day care center.

“So, what’s my schedule for today?” Suho ask as they moved to their office floor.

Baekhyun open his note book before voicing out what he had written in there for today. “You had a few papers to approve, couple of cheque to sign, meetings with Marketing department for new project at ten, meetings with Park’s Industry at two, meetings with Wu Corporation at four”

“Meeting with the Wu Corporation? We have a project with them? I thought everything’s done? Is there a problem with our project?” Suho looks at his secretary with a raised eyebrow. The project with Wu Corporation in China were finalized two months ago and as he always make sure to follow the progress once a week.

“Don’t worry, the project went well. Matter in fact, very well. However, this meeting was request by your father this morning. I received his message as soon as I step in the office. He insisted to squeeze in the meeting today instead of later”

“My father contacted you?”

Baekhyun pushed the door open to let his boss walk in first before following in behind him. He let his boss power on his PC and laptop as he did his morning routine of opening the blind and inspecting the room for any differences since he left the room last Friday.

“Do you know what the meeting is for?”

“I’ve asked Chairman Kim the details but no response as of now. I will call him myself if you want more clarification about the meeting?”

“Yes, please do so”

“Noted, will inform you as soon as possible”

“Thanks Baek, you are the best” Suho smiles and give his sweet secretary a thumb up.

“I know” Winking yet again at his boss, not forgetting to ask if Suho needs anything else before finding his way out of the office. Ensuring that his boss doesn’t need his service at the moment, he let the CEO do his work in peace.

Two hours into his work his intercom comes in. “Yes, Baekhyun?” Suho answers the call, still signing some papers that needed his signature. “Mr Kim, just a reminder to be ready at conference room at 10 p.m. sharp. Thank you” As soon as his secretary spoke his last sentence he hangs up. It was simple practice between the two to deliver message without waiting for any answer.

He glances at his wristwatch and immediately closes his current work. He had around eight minutes to be in the conference room. The meeting room was located just in front of his room. He only needs fifteen seconds to be there. He always loved to come early in a meeting because then he can observe his employee and have a little chat before the real meeting take place.

Suho took his notebook and phone from his drawer before walking out of his office room. He made a quick walk to his right and knocks on the door to inform his secretary that he is on his way to the meeting. Opening the door to his meeting room, he let the door stay open with a doorstop. Suho sits on his chair waiting for his secretary to hand in the hand-outs for the meeting.

Baekhyun walks in the meeting room, passing one of the hand-out to his boss before sitting down on the right side of his boss. “Baek, do you want to have lunch with me and the boys?” Suho says without looking up from papers in his hands. “Sure, why not” Baekhyun reply also not looking up from his notes.

One by one of the marketing team came into the meeting room. He smiles and nods his head when his employees greet him. Suho ask them some mundane question about their life just to lighten the mood. One of his employees will get marry next month, another just got a baby, the other just tell him briefly about what’s going on with theirs. By doing this, Suho will get a closer look at his teams. One of them just lost her mother in-law two weeks ago which Suho feels sorry for and takes note for later arrangement. Maybe he can open fundraising for his employee who’s losing their loved ones.

The meeting goes smoothly with a few questions raised by the CEO that needed to be taken care of and look into before discussing the issue in the next meeting. The meeting ended around eleven thirty in the morning which was earlier than expected. Usually, a meeting will take up to two hours before it ends.

Suho goes back to his room after discussing a few matters with his secretary. He let himself relax in his seat, closing his eyes for a short nap. He always takes at least fifteen minutes to nap when he feels like his brain refuse to function properly. Suho was a workaholic, but after the twins were born, he made sure to have enough rest so that his body can cope with pressure. It was a simple practice that he thinks necessary for human’s body.

He also goes as far as providing a room with two beds in each floor for his employee. However, it was tightly controlled to make sure no ual activities happen in there. Two CCTVs with two glass window were installed. People outside can see who is in there. One employee can take twice naptime a day with twenty minutes each or one naptime a day with forty minutes. If ever an employee caught sleeping more than time given for three times non-consecutively, warning letter will be sent to them.

Suho woke up from his little slumber five minutes pass his usual nap time. He sighs, cracking his muscle a bit to give signals for his body to starts waking up and do something productive. He left his chair to make hot chocolate for himself. Yes, chocolate because coffee has done nothing to help him. Not like chocolate helps him staying up. It just chocolate taste better than coffee anyway. Though, he likes to drink Starbucks when he had a chance. Baekhyun always says his body only accept grind coffee and not three in one or cheap coffee. Suho scoff at that because he’s sure that Starbucks also use instant coffee which Baekhyun strongly disagree.

Their banter always caught peoples’ attention because they thought it was cute and hilarious at the same time. One time, an old lady asked them if they were a couple since each of them hold a baby in their arms. Suho only laughs at the accusation. Baekhyun on the other hand smiles awkwardly saying that he had his own boyfriend and wish to marry him someday.

Breaking the news to the nice old lady was like a whole task because the lady insisted that they can make a great team as parents. Suho had to defend his best friend when Baekhyun looked too dumbfounded to answer the lady. After the incident, Baekhyun made sure not to call him with pet names in public anymore. They like to use pet names when they want the other party to agree with them.

Lunch time arrived sooner than Suho thought. Baekhyun barges into his office unannounced, grinning from ear to ear, bouncing on his two feet. “Let’s eat lunch! I’m hungry and the kids are waiting for you” Baekhyun pulls him of his office seat even before he got the chance to close the windows. “Baekhyun, wait! I need my wallet”

“Oh sorry” Baekhyun smiles innocently, letting go of his friend’s hand.

“I’m done, let’s go”

“Babe, you pay for today okay?” There we go; the pet names.

Suho rolls his eyes playfully, nodding his head while tapping his cheek for a kiss. Baekhyun makes a face but still lean in for a quick peck on his friend’s cheek. They walk out of the CEO’s room straight to the elevator going to the first floor to fetch Suho’s twin boys.

Baekhyun was the one running towards the day-care once they reach first floor. Suho jogs a little when he sees his twins waving their hands at him. By the time he arrives, Baekhyun already have his arms full with Jongin and Sehun. “Hello babies… Come here, give me kisses” Both boys come running into his embrace. Suho showered the boys with kisses, hugging them close to his chest.

“Let’s eat okay boys?”

Lunch with the boys always lifts Suho’s mood up. He smiles a lot with the twins beside him. Sure, he fusses on the boys when they eat and always scolds Baekhyun for feeding anything he eats to the kids. “Baek, stop feeding Jongin your puddings! It’s too sweet for him”

“Fine” Baekhyun turns his attention to the other twin instead, feeding the boy the exact pudding that he fed Jongin.

“Baek, my warning applies to both of my sons. Stop feeding them sweet things! You fed Sehun chocolate bar this morning. Don’t think I’m not aware of you spoiling my kids.” Suho glares at his grinning friend.

“Okay, fine. I’m feeding them this thing you called food” Baekhyun continue to feed Jongin with his actual lunch that were made by his father this morning. Baekhyun raise his eyebrow when little Jongin happily eats the food. He scoop a little of the baby’s food and feed himself. “That is not bad. Well, it actually taste good”

“That’s porridge Baekhyun. What do you think it will taste like?” Suho says, feeding Sehun the said porridge.

“It looks like someone vomit on it. Why is it so green?!”

“I blend it with broccoli, that’s why the colour turns like that”

“Can’t you give them their usual meal?”

“Well, we ran out of carrots. So, I need to replace it somehow.” Suho laughs a little when his secretary makes a face.

“I’m coming home with you today” Baekhyun deadpanned.

“Why?”

“So I can throw away all those broccolis and replace it back with carrots”

“Sure, do whatever you want.”

“Great!” Baekhyun smiles widely, though still grimacing when he looks down to scoop some of the porridge to feed Jongin. He felt offended with the colour. He will seriously throw away all the broccolis out of Suho’s house. He had to make sure the kids get to eat delicious and beautiful food. Looks are very important, mind you.

After lunch, they bring back the kids to the day-care center. Baekhyun once again reminds him of his schedule on the evening. Baekhyun may be a friend sometimes but he is a very reliable employee. Suho had always been grateful for having him as his personal assistant.

His meeting with Park Industry was cancelled an hour prior to the meeting. The current CEO for Park Industry had to rush to Busan due to some mistakes done by his employee. The man is also the same man Byun Baekhyun married. Park Chanyeol is Park Industry’s newly appointed CEO. As a new CEO, he had been busy and nearly all sites project were handled by him. Chanyeol personally called him to apologize for the sudden notice of him not being able to attend the meeting. Suho assured not to fret about it and focus on his case.

Baekhyun knocks on his door, a sullen look on his face. He pouts more when Suho smiles at him knowingly. “Baek, don’t worry… Chanyeol will be back in two or three days from now”

“…Can I sleep over at your house? It gets lonely when Chanyeol’s not there to hug me” Baekhyun unconsciously whines when he realise he would not sleep beside his husband tonight.

“You are more than welcome to do so Baek. Also, you said you want to replace broccolis in my house right? How about we go grocery shopping with the twins today?” Baekhyun smiles when heard that. Spending time with the kids always makes him cheery. He nods his head eagerly before skipping out of his boss office room. His sadness from earlier forgotten with promise of spending more time with his friend and the twins.

Hours passed until his meeting with Wu Corporation arrives. He sat straight to fix his posture. Baekhyun already informed him that the meeting will take place at the restaurant around the corner. It was kind of weird to have meetings there but he only follows order when he was told that his father was the one who arranges the meeting. Suho takes his belongings as he knows the meeting will end later than usual because his father will be there.

Suho stops in front of his secretary’s room, knocking the door before opening it and closing it back behind him. He pulls his house keys out from his bag to hand it out to his secretary. “Baek, here is my house keys. You can head over to yours first if you want to but please don’t forget to bring Jongin and Sehun home with you okay?”

“Well, I will just go straight to your house. Oh yeah, let me take care of your groceries today” Baekhyun grins at him when Suho hands him his credit card for groceries. “Don’t just buy whatever you want. Please follow my grocery list okay? I’ll send you the list later. You can still add few things as long as it’s not junk foods. You get it?” Suho squint his eyes, staring at his friend’s eyes in an attempt to make his little secretary listen to his words.

“Sure” Baekhyun grin mischievously. Suho sighs, instantly giving up on his grocery list. He knows Baekhyun will ignore his list and buy whatever he wanted. Well, it actually isn’t that bad. He will still follow the list but something will also be added in his list. If the things he gonna add were actually useful for him then he would not care even a bit. However, Baekhyun loves to buy everything the twins point in the supermarket. One time, Baekhyun bought a gold fish just because Jongin was astonished and would not leave the pet store without crying his lungs out.

“Seriously Baek, please don’t buy them any more pets”

“That was one time!” Baekhyun glared at his friend for reminding him about his mistake.

“Right, one time… what about that time when I sent you with them and you bring back a lizard! A ing lizard for s sake” Suho groaned when he remembers the incident happened couples of months back. Suho nearly blacks out when he arrives home and saw his kids petting the lizard. He yells at Baekhyun to return back the lizard to the pet store. At the end, he didn’t just have to console the twins but also a giant baby also known as his supposedly mature secretary, Byun Baekhyun.

“That was an iguana! Not a lizard!”

“Same thing” Suho says nonchalantly and opens his mouth again to reprimand Baekhyun to not buy any more pets which the letter nod his head obediently like a small child. Suho moves around the table to give his best friend a hug, leaving a short kiss on his best friend’s head before pulling away. A small thank you and an exchange of I love you were heard before Suho leaves Baekhyun’s office.

As soon as he arrived at the restaurant, he immediately parks his car and made his way into the restaurant. He jogs lightly when he realise he only had five minutes more before the promised time. He needs to be punctual or his father will be in a bad mood throughout the meetings. The three stars Michelin restaurant’s manager instantly moves by his side when he saw him come through the entrance, entering the restaurant. Almost all of the employees at the restaurant recognize his face because as he came by often with his father for business purpose or both his parents for casual dinner.

"Good evening Mr Kim, please come with me, I will lead you to your designated place." Suho nods and follows the manager around the restaurant. They stop in front of one of the many private room and the manager knocks on the door three times before pushing the door open.

"Excuse me Ladies, CEO Kim have arrived." The manager bows at both ladies sitting inside.


"Junmyeon, honey, come here and greets your dear mother" Madam Kim spread her arms wide when he saw his only child standing in front of him.


"Mom? What are you doing here?" Suho asked; a look of shocked written all over his face finding his mother there in the room that he supposedly going to have a meeting with the Wu Corporation. Suho rarely sees his mother anymore since the woman loves travelling. She sometimes travels with her many friends but mostly she travels with his husband, Suho's father.

"Why? I can't visit my son anymore?"

"It’s not like that, you barely been in Korea anymore let alone coming by and visits me" Suho had always been petty with things. He loves bringing up something that people already apologize too. His mother ignores his pettiness, instead standing up to hug his son tightly.

"I miss you son, I miss my grandchildren more though" Madam Kim kiss his only son on his cheek and pats him on his back. "Come here sit down. I have a lot to talk about." His mother squeals like a little girl. That was when he realized they are not alone. His mother had a company and she’s also a very beautiful woman. He assumes that this is her friend, close friend perhaps, judging from how close and secretive they talk to each other.

"Junmyeon, let me introduce you to my best friend, Madam Wu"

"Hello Madam Wu, it's a pleasure to meet you. How are you today?" Suho smiles softly at his mother's best friend. He bows his head a little as an act of respects and politeness towards older people.

"Hello dear, I am fine, thank you. How are you dear? Busy with work?"

"I'm fine, thank you for asking Ma'am. Works are not a burden to me. They are actually fun if we have passion in our league. Don't you think so?" Suho says as polite as he can. The conversation between the three of them goes smoothly.

They talk until Suho's father, Chairman Kim and Madam Wu's husband, Chairman Wu arrives. Suho gets up from his seat to greet both of them. He also noticed another person that looks exactly like Chairman Wu but a lot younger than him. He recognizes the face. It was the CEO of Wu Corporation. Well, of course he would be here. This is a meeting his father arranged. However, if this is a business meeting, then why his mother and her friend are here too?

"Hello everyone, let's take a seat shall we?" Chairman Wu says smiling a little at everyone present in the room. Suho's father nods his head and slid to sit beside him. He wants to move to let his father sit beside his mother. However, his mother grab his hand to make him seat in his original place. He looks back and forth between his parents and feel slightly uncomfortable because why did his parents make him seat in the middle of them?! He looks up only to meet with the same expression as him. CEO Wu got forced to seat down in between his parents. The man raised his eyebrows but shrugged it off thinking that his parents just missed him these couple weeks they didn't see each other.

"So, let's begin this meeting yes?" Chairman Kim claps his hand for attention once they all seated in their respective seats.

"Yes, of course. I will go straight to the point. Yifan, have you met Chairman Kim's son before?" Chairman Wu looks at his son, waiting for answer.

"Yes, father. We met each other couple of times before."

"Meeting for projects or casual meetings?" Chairman Kim asks to both of the respective company's CEO.

"We usually meet for projects. If I’m not mistaken, we only meet twice outside of work just because we share a mutual friend together. Isn’t that right Mr Wu?” Suho purposely ask the other CEO to back him up.

“Yes. We met couple of times before. I don’t want to appear rude but may I know why you ask such question?” Suho felt relief when the other party ask question he seriously been dying to ask but he’s a little afraid to do so. It’s not like his father will get mad at such question but rather he’s afraid to be seen as rude and ruins his image in front of a family’s friend. Suho had always been conscious about his act especially in front of his parents.

“If that so, you guys need to spend a lot more time with each other after this” It wasn’t a simple suggestion. The tone Chairman Wu used nearly sounds like an order.

“I’m sorry father, but can you tell us why?”

“Simple because our family will be united” Chairman Wu smiles a little once he finished his sentence. The younger Wu was a bit taken aback because he rarely sees his father smiles if he didn’t find it amusing.

“With all due respect Chairman Wu, can you elaborate the meaning behind this?” Suho had to ask because his hands felt clammy and his heart beat rose a little. This can’t be what he feels it would be right?

“Okay, listen carefully to what I’m gonna tell you alright?” This time, Chairman Kim takes turn to speak on behalf of the other parents. The Chairman of Kim Co. looks at the both of them in the eyes to make sure they listen to whatever he gonna say attentively. The two of them nods their head to assure the chairman that they are both listening.

“What Chairman Wu means by uniting our family is through marriage. We are pleased to inform you that you both are going to get marry… with each other” As soon as the last sentence register in Suho’s ears, he feels like collapsing.

The other CEO looks like he doesn’t understand a single thing. Wu Yifan stares at his father’s friend like he had grown another head. He blinks multiple times, trying to comprehend what Chairman Kim was talking about. Marriage? But… with whom?


Repost.