Chapter 24

To My Future Number 1 Fan

Ewon

I had about two seconds to wonder if last night had been a dream. Then I rolled over, and the twinges in my hips and the ache in my said, no, that had definitely not been a dream. I grinned to myself as I gazed up at Taehyung's bedroom ceiling. Last night had been real, and it had been awesome.

Taehyung wasn't in bed, but I wasn't alarmed. I'd been vaguely aware of him leaving earlier, and a few minutes ago, he'd tiptoed in for a shower. From the sweaty gym clothes he'd been wearing, I figured he'd stepped out for a run or a session in a home gym. I should really have gotten up and asked to join him.

Eh. I'm on vacation. A weekend away from the gym won't kill me.

Wasn't like I was being completely sedentary this weekend anyway. counted as cardio, didn't it?

The shower shut off. A minute later, Taehyung came out of the bathroom in a pair of boxers, his hair wet and tousled "Oh hey. You're awake." 

"Finally." I smiled sleepily at him "You already up and working out? Making the rest of us look bad?"

He chuckled as he slid under the covers and scooted toward me. When he'd settled against me, I wrapped my arm around him and rested my hand on his waist. Draping his arm over me, he said "If I don't work out for more than a day or two, the guilt will eat me alive."

"I know that feeling." I ran an appreciative hand up the smooth plane of his side "And damn, you get some good results."

Ah, there was that shy laugh that made me warm all over. I kissed his forehead.

His palm drifted up the middle of my chest "I was going to suggest getting some coffee and breakfast started, but now I don't want to get up."

"Coffee can wait." I pulled him a little closer "We don't get to do this very often."

"No we don't." he tucked his head under my chin, his damp hair cool and his skin hot.

I closed my eyes and slid my hand up and down his arm. This was exactly what I missed whenever a relationship ended. Even a casual one. was awesome, but I loved this part even more. Given that we were doing the long distance thing, I wasn't about to pass up every available opportunity to quietly cuddle up with Taehyung.

"So, once we do get out of bed..." he said after a while "...what do you want to do with the rest of the day?"

"Hmm. Don't know. What about you?"

He shrugged "Not a whole lot we can do without going out in public." he looked up at me, forehead creased "I hope that's not too boring, just hanging out here."

"Boring?" I laughed and his arm with my fingertips "That's, um, not the word I'd use to describe hanging out with you."

God, that adorable square smile was going to be the death of me "You know what I mean. You came all the way down here, and we're just staying in."

"It isn't like I've never been to LA."

"Okay, true. Must be weird, coming back."

"Kind of, yeah. The city's changed a lot, but I still mostly know my way around." I paused "It is a little weird this time, though."

Taehyung tensed "How do you mean?" 

"It's, um..." I chewed my lip, fixing my gaze on the ceiling instead of looking at him.

He slid a hand up my chest "Tell me."

I pretended not to notice the heat in my cheeks, and quietly said "This is, um, the first time I've been back and not gone to see my parents."

"Oh. Do you want to?"

I turned to him "What?"

Taehyung curved his hand around my elbow "I mean, I don't know how they feel about you dropping in at the last minute, but if you want to grab dinner or something with them, we can." it was his turn to avoid my eyes "Or, I mean, if you'd rather not take me, we—"

"I don't want to spend any of this trip away from you. If I go see them, I'm taking you with me." I lifted my eyebrows "But would you want to meet my parents?"

"Sure. Why not?"

"Well, we just started seeing each other." I shifted uneasily "Some guys are a little weird about meeting the parents early in the game. Like it's some huge step in a relationship and means we're getting serious or something." 

Worry creased Taehyung's brow "Oh."

"But I don't think it has to mean that." I went on "If you really are comfortable meeting them, I'm sure they'd love to meet you." I smiled "In fact, I'm pretty sure they'll adore the hell out of you."

The worry turned to shyness "Really?"

I nodded "Really." I studied him "It could be fun, but did you have anything else in mind for today?"

"Just hiding out here and hoping nobody with a camera sees us." he paused like he needed to think for a second and make sure he was really onboard before he said "I'm totally game if you are."

"Perfect." I kissed his forehead "I'll give them a call."

11954234341082748434zeimusu_Swash_o  11954234341082748434zeimusu_Swash_o  11954234341082748434zeimusu_Swash_o  11954234341082748434zeimusu_Swash_o

My parents were thrilled to have us come over. I'd apologized for imposing and promised to cook dinner, but I also emphasized that it was important that we not go out in public. I didn't explain exactly why yet, that seemed like something to discuss in person. They didn't question me about that part, which wasn't surprising, I'd had a couple of boyfriends in the past who'd been closeted, and my parents had understood that discretion was necessary. Mom also insisted that she'd make dinner, and she refused to argue, so I let the subject drop. Secretly I was relieved—as much as I loved cooking and was perfectly happy to do it for the family, there was nothing quite like her cooking.

"Hope you're hungry." I said to Taehyung as I hung up "My mom's making dinner, which means so much food."

Taehyung grinned "Just don't tell anyone if I actually eat like a normal human being for once."

Frowning, I pocketed my phone "You don't usually?"

"Not when I'm going to be filming soon." he sighed, shaking his head "I know it looks good in pictures, but this ?" he ran a finger up and down his tight T-shirt, as if to indicate the six-pack underneath "It's a load of work to maintain. I'd rather eat, damn it."

"I never thought of that. Always heard they took some serious work, but..."

"Yeah, 'serious work' as in busting my hide at the gym in between starving myself for a week before I have to take my shirt off."

I grimaced "Really?"

"Yep. All those magazine spreads where I'm half-? My stomach was growling audibly during every single one of those shoots."

"Jesus." 

"Part of the job." he shrugged "But today, I fully intend to eat like a normal person. So..." he put his finger to his lips and added in a loud whisper "Don't tell."

I put an arm around his shoulders and kissed his temple "Secret's safe with me."

"Good. So when do they expect us?"

"Around two. That should give us time to visit with them, have dinner, and head for the airport."

He nodded, a grin slowly forming "Also means we've got some time to ourselves before we leave."

"Hmm, I guess it does."

We put my luggage in the trunk of Taehyung's Camry—the Maserati would attract way too much attention, especially in my parents' middle-class neighborhood—and I drove since I knew the way. I called my mom when we were close to the house, and by the time I pulled in the driveway, she'd opened the garage door for us.

"They don't mind us using their garage?" Taehyung asked as we got out of the car.

"Not at all. My dad's out right now, so he'll just park behind Mom's car when he gets in." I let us into the house through the garage. As we toed off our shoes, I called out "Mom?"

"In the kitchen, sweetheart."

I glanced at Taehyung, and he suddenly looked really nervous. I put a hand on his back "Come on. She'll love you. I promise."

He didn't relax, but he let me herd him from the utility room into the kitchen.

Mom was at the sink, and she turned around, wiping her hands on a dishtowel "Hey, honey!"

"Hey." I gave her a quick hug and a kiss on the cheek, then nodded toward Taehyung "So, um. This is—"

"I know exactly who this is." my mom put the towel aside and extended her hand "It's lovely to have you in our home, Taehyung. I'm Geri."

He smiled and shook her hand "Thanks for having us over. Sorry for all the secret squirrel stuff."

She laughed "Well, now that I know who Ewon's dinner guest is, it makes sense. And I guess I should have known after that article." her expression shifted to one of deep concern "That must be so stressful, being mobbed everywhere you go."

Taehyung chuckled and shrugged "Occupational hazard." 

"I suppose it is. Well, come on in and have a seat. You boys want any coffee?"

Taehyung turned to me as if he were following my lead. I put a gentle hand on the small of his back as I said to my mom "Yeah, I'll take some."

He hesitated, then quietly said "Me too. Thank you."

"Give me just a minute, then." she started pulling cups down from the cabinet.

"Mom, are you sure you don't want me to help with—"

"I'm not making my son cook when he comes over." she shooed us toward the living room "Go sit."

I knew better than to argue, so I led Taehyung into the living room. As we sat on the couch, I wrapped my arm around his shoulders. He tensed, glancing at me uneasily.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"I, um..." his eyes flicked toward my arm, then met mine "Are you sure we should..."

I smiled "We won't offend my parents, if that's what you're worried about." 

He held my gaze, disbelief written all over his face.

"I promise." I kissed his cheek "They know I'm gay, and as long as we don't start making out or something, they're totally fine with it."

"You sure?"

"Trust me." I started to lift my arm away "If you're not comfortable with it, though, we—"

"No, no, I am. It's just something new. Being like this around other people." he swallowed "But you know your parents."

"I do." I let my arm settle against the back of his shoulders again, and curled my fingers around his arm. His apprehension hung on for a second, but slowly seemed to melt away.

A moment later, my mom came in with three steaming cups of coffee. Once everyone had a cup, she took a seat in her usual weathered old recliner.

"So where's Dad?" I asked.

"He ran up to the grocery store to get a few things for dinner." she shot me a pointed look, preemptively warning me against arguing about who was cooking "He should be back in a few minutes." she sipped her coffee, and as she set the cup down, she said "I'm tickled to see that the two of you reconnected. I was worried that show would be the end of it, but I know Ewon wanted to see you again."

My cheeks burned, and I could feel Taehyung's gaze on me. I turned to meet those beautiful brown eyes. He didn't seem startled or put off by what my mom had said. I wasn't sure why I thought he would.

Taehyung turned to my mom "Yeah, I wanted to see him again too. Took a while to work it out because I was right in the middle of a promo tour, but..." he shifted his attention back to me, and my heart fluttered "It was worth it."

Mom beamed "My goodness, you two are cute together."

Taehyung blushed, and I was pretty sure my own cheeks were visible from space. Fortunately, before Mom could embarrass us any further, the rumble of the garage door turned all our heads.

"Oh." Mom said "Sounds like Dad's home."

Taehyung tensed beside me, pulling in a sharp breath.

"Relax." I gave his shoulders a gentle squeeze "He's as cool about it as she is."

He swallowed. 

A moment later, the garage door closed again, and the kitchen door opened. There was some rustling and clattering while he put groceries away, and then he came into the living room and zeroed right in on Taehyung "So you must be the new boyfriend."

Taehyung went rigid, and some color drained from his face.

"Dad, this is Taehyung." I said as casually as I could "Tae, my dad."

"Um." Taehyung gulped and stood.

Dad crossed the living room floor and extended his hand over the coffee table "It's good to meet you, Taehyung."

They shook hands, and Taehyung looked stunned even as he said "Y-you too, sir."

Dad chuckled "You don't have to call me sir. Just Ilwoo is fine."

"Oh. Okay." Taehyung glanced at me as if for confirmation, and I nodded.

"Take it easy." Dad said with a quiet laugh "You're not the first boyfriend he's brought over." he shot me a look "This one better not be a like—"

"Oh my God, Dad." I groaned and rolled my eyes "You're never going to let me live him down, are you?" 

"Not in your life, kiddo."

Taehyung threw me a quizzical look.

I patted the cushion beside me, and as he sat back down, I said "Some of my other boyfriends have been...um..."

"Idiots?" Mom supplied.

"Oxygen thieves?" Dad suggested.

I scowled, but when Taehyung laughed, I relaxed.

"Oh really?" he asked with a playful grin "You might have to tell me about some of these guys sometime."

"I'd rather not." I muttered "But they haven't all been bad."

"No, they haven't." Dad said "Still doesn't mean I'm gonna let you live down the ones who were. Especially that one dope." he raised his brow pointedly.

I just groaned again. Dad went back into the kitchen, probably for some coffee, and Taehyung released a long breath.

Before I could offer some reassurance, Mom beat me to it "You've got nothing to worry about in this house, honey. Just don't say anything bad about the Raiders or the Lakers, and we'll do just fine." 

"Oh." Taehyung rolled his shoulders, and after a moment, eased back against my arm "This is the first time I've met a guy's family before. Guess I'm a bit nervous."

She smiled warmly "It's okay. Fortunately your man lowered the bar with a few of the guys he brought home before—"

I laughed "Really, Mom?"

Taehyung elbowed me gently in the ribs "I like her."

"Traitor."

"That's me." he flashed a toothy square grin "Stealing your mom's love and your dog's affection."

Mom's face lit up "Oh, you've met Lola?"

"Met her? Oh my God, I love her. I'm surprised I could move my arm after we took her to the dog park."

"She does have a lot of energy." Mom laughed, reaching for her coffee "She's such a sweetheart."

"She is." Taehyung said "Makes me miss having a dog, but my job doesn't really leave a lot of room for pets." 

"That's a shame." Mom paused, then brightened a little "But my grandpuppy is a good substitute if you can't have one of your own."

"Yep, she is." Taehyung glanced at me with one of those heart-melting smiles "Her owner isn't so bad either."

I laughed "Gee, I'm touched."

He just snickered.

Dad came back into the room with a cup of coffee. He sat in the recliner next to Mom's and looked at Taehyung "So, you're an actor?"

Taehyung nodded stiffly, some of his nerves returning as if he were still wary of my dad.

"How do you like that business? Showbiz and all that?"

Taehyung shrugged "It has its ups and downs. I love what I do and I'm not waiting tables anymore, so I can take the bad with the good."

Smiling, Dad nodded "Can't ask for much more than that with a job, can you?"

"Not really, no."

"Are you working on anything right now?" Mom asked. 

"I will be soon. We start shooting next month."

She straightened "Oh! Can you tell us about it?"

Taehyung grimaced "I would, but they made me sign twelve reams of non-disclosure agreements to make sure nothing gets leaked." he gestured at the window behind us "I'm pretty sure they have drones following me around and listening."

Dad snorted. So did I.

Mom just laughed "Well, we'll be in line to see it when it comes out. Whatever it is."

That seemed to give Taehyung pause "Really?"

"Of course." she smiled broadly "We won't brag that our son is dating the star, but we can sit in the audience and be smug about it."

Taehyung and I both laughed. I gave his knee a playful squeeze "Don't think she's joking, by the way. Twenty bucks says they send you a selfie from the theater."

He grinned "Awesome. In fact, I usually get a handful of tickets to the premiere. I can try to get you a pair.”

“Oh, that would be nice." Mom said "What do you think, hon?" 

Dad nodded "Not gonna say no to free movie tickets, especially on opening night."

I coughed as I said "Freeloaders."

"Hey!" Mom shot me a stern look that wasn't at all convincing "You're here having dinner in my house. I don't want to hear about freeloaders."

I put up my hands "Hey, I offered to make dinner."

"Mm-hmm, and we offered to buy tickets to Taehyung's movie. So there." she stuck her tongue out at me, so I stuck mine out too.

Taehyung smothered a laugh "Oh my God. I see where you get, like, everything."

"Damn right." Dad jerked his thumb at Mom "Blame her."

"I beg your pardon?" Mom huffed "Because I seem to recall he gets his foul mouth from you, mister."

Dad grumbled something. I rolled my eyes. Beside me, Taehyung was vibrating with barely contained laughter.

"Anyway..." Dad said "...how is work these days?"

"Eh." I shrugged "People coming in because they think they're dying, but they really have a minor cold. People who think they just have a minor cold, but they're really dying. Same old, same old."

Taehyung stiffened "What?"

"Hand to God." I said with a laugh.

"Never a dull moment." Dad said into his coffee cup.

"I wouldn't go that far. But yeah, there's always something interesting happening."

Mom started to say something else, but the chirp of a cell phone made us all pause.

Beside me, Taehyung jumped, and he tugged his phone out of his pocket. He frowned at the screen, and then turned to me with an apologetic grimace "I'm sorry. It's my assistant. I really need to take this."

I nodded "No problem."

He got up and stepped into the kitchen, apologizing again as he hurried out of the room.

As soon as he was more or less out of earshot, Mom faced me "He's lovely, honey. Not just to look at, either."

"I know he is. He's amazing." and I still can't believe we're doing this. 

Mom's smile faltered, and she cut her eyes toward the kitchen where Taehyung was talking on the phone "That boy needs to eat more, though."

"Mom." I kept my voice quiet, but with an edge of sternness "Don't."

She faced me "But he's so thin."

"I know, but it kind of comes with the territory of his job." I whispered "He eats. I promise."

"Let him be, Geri." Dad patted her leg "Some boys are just thin. You know that."

Scowling, she watched the kitchen doorway for a moment. Finally, she gave a little nod that made Dad and me both relax. She'd keep her thoughts to herself.

Mom meant well. She would never openly tell a thin person they needed to eat or anything, just like she'd never harp on an overweight person to lose a few pounds, but by virtue of dating me, Taehyung was basically her son now. And if there was one thing Mom did like clockwork, it was worry herself senseless over all her kids. I didn't get enough sleep, my older brother smoked too much weed, my older sister worked too many hours—it was just how our mom was. My last boyfriend had been too stressed. The one before him had needed to put on more sunscreen before he took his pale skin outside. Hell, she even fretted over Lola, and she'd nearly had a coronary when Lola'd had a deep scratch on her muzzle from getting too close to a neighbor's cat. 

I loved that she instantly cared so deeply about anyone in my world, and that she didn't hesitate to pull Taehyung into that bubble. As of today, she was going to worry about Taehyung as much as she worried about the rest of us.

Dad glanced toward the kitchen and lowered his voice "You sure you can handle this kind of thing? I mean, he's a package deal with the reporters and all that."

"Yeah. Of course." I leaned back as casually as I could and draped my arm across the back of the couch, hoping the movement masked an uncomfortable shiver "I'm not thrilled about that part, but if it means getting to be with him..." I smiled.

My parents did too, but concern lingered in both their expressions.

"He knows you're not big on being the center of a bunch of attention, right?" Mom asked.

"Oh yeah. And he gets it. That's part of why we're keeping things quiet for now. To avoid all that."

Mom and Dad exchanged looks.

"But what happens if you're together for a while?" Dad asked "You're not going to be able to hide behind closed doors forever." 

"I can't imagine you'd want to hide forever." Mom said "Just...I'm worried about what will happen when you decide not to. There's always going to be a lot of focus on Taehyung, and there will be on anyone he's with, too."

I tried for a reassuring smile "Of course. And we'll cross that bridge when we get there." and I'd try like hell not to think about it until we did.

My parents didn't press, and a moment later, Taehyung returned and sat down "I'm so sorry about that. My poor assistant is working herself to death again."

Mom tilted her head "Doesn't she know it's Sunday?"

He laughed dryly "I reminded her of that twice, believe me. She enjoys it, though, and she still takes plenty of downtime."

"But is everything okay?" I asked.

"Oh yeah. Just a bunch of scheduling stuff for the next two weeks. Someone wanted to reschedule an interview, and the only way to do that was to shuffle around four other things." he shook his head "I don't know how she does it, but she always makes everything line up."

"Must be a miracle worker." Mom mused "I can't even keep my own doctors' appointments straight." 

Dad grunted with amusement.

Mom cuffed his elbow, but even as she scowled, her eyes were sparkling with laughter. Typical day in the Jung household.

I glanced at Taehung, and he smiled back at me. Funny how this did feel like a typical day in my childhood home. It was just like bringing any other boyfriend over to meet my parents. The fanboy in me had vacated, and Taaehyung really was just...Taehyung.

And somehow that left me even more starstruck than the moment he'd mentioned me in his speech.