act 2: things he should know – 2003

Oh and darling,


 

“What did you just say?”
 
Jaejoong has never been this mad. No one has ever dared to make him this enraged until Yunho, who is clearly taken aback by his reaction, did. “I… have to go to Seoul.” He repeats. He doesn’t really have a choice, he explains further. “I’ll start training for this entertainment agency I was casted in. It’s… it’s the reason why I can’t commit in a relationship. Jae, I’m sorry, but I hope you understand.”
 
“Understand?” Jaejoong retorts. “Understand what? That you lead me on? That you made me think that we had something special going on?”
 
“We do!”
 
He lets out a sarcastic laugh. “It must be so special that you forgot to tell me that one tiny detail about your life. I didn’t even know you dance! Or sing! Or whatever the you’re apparently so good at doing that some agency wants to make you their cash cow.”
 
Yunho tries to grab his hand but he moves it away before he could do so. The taller man is noticeably hurt by his action which he pointedly ignores. “Things have been great between us, Jae.” Yunho explains. “I didn’t want to ruin anything.”
 
“Things have been great.” he echoes. “So I feel like, I don’t know, maybe you should have cared about what I feel or what I’d feel about this? You had almost two months, Yunho. That much time for you to tell me about it.”
 
Yunho sighs in defeat. “I was wrong. But we are having so much fun. I thought maybe I should just cherish our moments together.”
 
Jaejoong, if anything, is dumbfounded at the words coming out of Yunho’s mouth. Yunho makes a move to hug him but he takes a step back, shaking his head. “Don’t touch me.” he says with venom in his voice. “Am I just a summer fling to you?”
 
“No. No, baby. Of course no—”
 
“Don’t! Don’t call me that.” He raises a finger to stop the other male from getting close. “What do you take me for? You honestly think I’m not capable of supporting your dreams in life?” With this, he finally breaks down. He falls on the floor, his legs giving up on him. He is in a complete state of confusion. Yunho has no right to come into his life like he has every right to do so, make him fall in love with him and not have the balls to be clear about their relationship status, and then leave when he wants to. He just has no right to break Jaejoong’s heart. It’s cruel and unfair.
 
When Yunho scoops him in an embrace, he does not fight back anymore and lets himself be held in the arms of the person he loves the most.
 
Yunho hugs him tightly, not wanting to let go. He wants to punch himself for the hurt he has caused Jaejoong. “I was terrified.” He admits. “I didn’t want to commit knowing I’ll be shifting my attention to something else for a long period of time.” A kiss is placed atop Jaejoong’s head and he hugs him tighter.
 
“Can’t you at least try? Are we not worth a try?”
 
Jaejoong’s eyes are pleading. If things could go his way, he’d keep both Jaejoong and his dream. “Darling, I’d be selfish to ask you to wait for me.” He reasons out and wishes that he’d be able to get his point across. “That would be too much to ask. I would be the worst boyfriend.”
 
“You’re not even my boyfriend!”
 
“Point taken.” He says quietly, closing his eyes as he lets Jaejoong hit him on the chest with his fists. He deserves it. Even he isn’t able to stop himself from crying when the smaller man tells him his heart hurts. The last thing he wants to do is hurt Jaejoong and yet, it’s exactly what he did. He would not be able to forgive himself if he doesn’t do anything to make him feel a little better. He knows it’s not a wise decision but screw it, right? He’s been wanting to do it for the longest time. But then again, if it means their happiness, he should be willing to risk it. “I know I said it’d be selfish of me to ask, but I’d be even more selfish if I don’t. Would you be willing to wait for me? I don’t know how long it will take. I can’t be with you physically most of the time and we can’t always communicate. They would probably take my phone away. I—”
 
“I don’t care.” Jaejoong says with such desperation that guilt eats Yunho up. It was wrong of him to keep such an important information from Jaejoong out of all people. His heart breaks even more when the smaller male slowly looks up and stares right at him with his tear-filled eyes. “I’ll always wait for you, Yunho.” Jaejoong utters brokenly. “I’ll be here just the same. Waiting for you no matter how long it takes.”
 
“Jaejoongie...”
 
“Just promise me your feelings won’t change.”
 
“I promise, darling. I promise.”