act 1: untimely attraction – 2003

Oh and darling,

 



“Can I have a taste?”

He’s not half human-half werewolf, but Jaejoong’s non-existent fangs almost show up at the question. All he wanted was to have a nice and peaceful dinner without a schoolmate coming up to him only to either hit on him or make lewd comments no one asked for. Sometimes, he still thinks that he should have disowned his friend for carelessly blurting out his ual orientation at school. It was uncalled for. However, a part of him believes it’s not Junsu’s fault for getting a little too excited for his own good. His friend was probably only delighted that he finally had the courage to admit to himself that he likes men. It made him extra ecstatic that Jaejoong not only managed to come out to his parents, he got their blessings and support as well.

It used to be an open secret. His family had an idea and have even hinted through subtle words of encouragement during conversations. They never pressured him into admitting anything which he was grateful for. He needed time for himself; to be able to accept who he truly is without any ounce of doubt, shame, guilt, or anything remotely negative that he would carry for the rest of his life. Once he managed to accept himself, it did not take long for him to feel comfortable about his uality.

And then he came out.

The thought of coming out to his parents was incredibly nerve-wracking, although he should have known that it was going to be a whole lot easier than he imagined. It was practically a walk in the park compared to having to come out to himself.

Junsu accepted him with open arms. It was a given. He was the person he confided in concerning what he once thought was confusion. And that’s why their friendship outweighs his slip up.

What annoys him, however, is the fact that he has to endure harassment in school for at least a year and a half more. It does not bother him as much as it should, though. Jaejoong could take care of himself. He could and would fight anyone who does him wrong. He would not be treated like rubbish just because he prefers men over women. Particularly men who are not a prick to him and to anyone like him.

“I’d rather you taste nothing of mine.” He replies with gritted teeth, not at all looking at the offending person standing right behind him.

“Oh!” The voice sounds quite embarrassed. “I’m sorry!” Jaejoong’s lips are pursed. He’s more than ready to pounce on the person invading his personal space if he needs to. “Just thought I’d take a bite of the chicken tenders before I buy them. My cousin says it’s good, but my uncle said it isn’t. I want to try it but at the same time I don’t want to waste my money on it if it’s not good enough.” The man scrambles to explain as if Jaejoong caught him stealing.

Out of shock, and maybe embarrassment for assuming the worst on the person, he slowly turns around to face the odd man with such an odd request. There in front of him, is a rather tall man in an orange tracksuit, scratching his head.

“Couldn’t you have picked a better colour? That thing hurts my eyes.” Couldn’t you have been a little nicer? Jaejoong mentally scolds himself. The man does look like he just genuinely wants a taste of the food and nothing else. Then again, it could be an act. And so he waits. He waits for the orange-clad man to lose his patience and reveal his actual motive. The man does not get impatient, much to his dismay. Instead, he grows more and more confused by the second. Jaejoong finally gives in. “Fine. Only because I feel bad that you’re wearing such hideous thing.”

The man is evidently pleased at the chance he’s given. He thanks Jaejoong profusely, and then grabs a piece of the chicken. He chews it ever so slowly and looks as if he’s in deep thought.

Well, that’s rather adorable, Jaejoong notes.

One thing he detests the most is people watching him eat but strangely, he seems to have instantly developed an understanding of the joy of watching people eat. There is something about the man that fascinates him. Maybe it’s because of the way he eats, chews, or how he confidently strode to a stranger to ask for food. He does not know. What he knows is that he needs to get his name.





Have you ever set your eyes on a stranger and suddenly, there’s this inexplicable pounding in your chest? It’s not anxiety nor chest pains. It’s a certain kind of pounding that gets you all worked up, and somehow, taking a second look at the stranger gives you the kind of excitement that you seem to have never felt before.

“I’m not in love, Junsu. Don’t be ridiculous.”

The stranger’s name is Yunho and Jaejoong is not in love with him. At least not yet. Junsu insists that his monologue is as good as a love confession. Maybe it is if he really is in love. The problem is, he is not, but it’s pointless to convince Junsu otherwise.

“So, what’s he like?”

“Junsu, I literally just met him a few hours ago. Our interaction didn’t even last for fifteen minutes.”

“You wish it did, though.”

That may be a fact, except he’s not an idiot to tell Junsu that. If he is going to be truly honest, he thinks Yunho is a dream come true.





“My cousin was right.”

Jaejoong jumps at the voice. A pretty familiar one. He looks up from his plate and is stunned to see Yunho right in front of him. “I see you’ve found a new hobby.”

Yunho chuckles, inviting himself to join Jaejoong for lunch as he takes the unoccupied seat right across him. “I hope you don’t mind.”

“Well, it’s not like I can kick you off the chair, can I?”

“Hm, technically you can.”

“But I won’t.”

“Because I believe you’re nice.”

“I am.”

“My point proven.”





“You’re smiling an awful lot lately.” Jaejoong agrees but chooses not to comment. “Did something life-changing happened?”

“You know what’s life-changing?” he asks instead. Junsu has been bombarding him with remarks as such ever since he arrived at his house.

“What?”

“You shutting up for once in your life.” He rolls his eyes when Junsu pretends to look hurt. He heaves out an exasperated sigh. “Alright. It’s Yunho.”

“I knew it!” The scream Junsu lets out is quite horrifying which earns them a nasty stare from his sister. Junsu shrugs. “Are you dating?”

“Are you crazy?”

“You already think I am so does that even matter? So tell me…”

“There’s really not much to tell.” he responds. “We are not dating if that’s what you really want to know. We’ve just been going out a few times. But that’s it.”

“Well, do you like him?”

It’s his turn to shrug. “I don’t know. I’m definitely drawn to him, if anything.”

“Does he like you though?”

It would be nice if he does, Jaejoong thinks to himself and remains silent.





Jaejoong finds out that Yunho works part time at a nearby convenience store. They are supposed to meet for dinner but he had to cover for a workmate and would be finishing later than usual. If he can’t make it for their dinner date, Jaejoong contemplated, he’d take the dinner date to him. “Not that it’s an actual date.” Jaejoong quietly mumbles to himself as he waits for his takeaway.

Ever since he came across Yunho, he’s been going out a lot more than he used to. He only ever goes out when he feels like eating out alone or when Junsu invites him to eat out, play video games with him at home, or for a study date. Other than those, he prefers staying at home and busy himself with things that he enjoys doing.

It doesn’t take long before his order arrives and he heads straight to the convenience store. He arrives just as Yunho is manning the cashier. He queues at the counter and plasters a grin on his face when it’s his turn. “One cashier for dinner, please.”

Yunho returns his grin. “Five minutes.”

Jaejoong nods in understanding and steps out of the line, waiting near the door. People are giving them weird looks but he could only care less. That is until he locks eyes with a schoolmate who is smirking at him. Jaejoong knows trouble when he sees it. He is a good distance away from the guy and he’s hoping that the glares he’s been sending his way would be enough for him to get the message. He mouths “ off” for good measure.

The schoolmate clearly does not appreciate the expletive and steps out of the line to approach him. “The is your problem?”

“I didn’t start anything.” He replies, raising a brow at the guy who’s already starting to invade his personal space. If he takes another step, he’d fight back. From his peripheral vision, he could see that they got Yunho’s attention as he keeps on glancing at them with worried eyes.

“Gay.”

“I think we’ve already established that fact, you homophobe.” The other guy clearly looks offended and raises a clenched fist as if to punch him. He expects that kind of reaction, but that does not mean he would let it happen. “Nah uh.” he says, wiggling a finger in front of the livid man’s face. “I wouldn’t do that if I were you. Look around you,” he continues, scanning the place with a mocking smile on his face which prompts the other to do the same. “People are staring at us. If your fist comes in contact with any part of my body, I would scream and cry to my heart’s content. They would ask why and then I’d tell them I’m gay and you punched me for that exact reason. It would be considered a hate crime and you’d serve time in jail. Or maybe pay a fine. Maybe both.” He finishes with a shrug. “But go on ahead. Punch me. I dare you.”

His threat seems to be working as his schoolmate’s eyes are starting to quiver. Whether it be from being scared or anger, it does not really matter. Jaejoong does not break eye contact with him until the troublemaker gives up and walks away. He almost bursts in laughter when Yunho’s co-worker runs after him to tell him he forgot to pay for the items he’s been holding.

His smile falters when Yunho approaches him, looking pissed off. “What’s the matter?” he asks with a frown that replaced his smile.

“You could have gotten hurt.”

“But I wasn’t.”

“What did that prick want from you? You should’ve waited for me or something.”

“I prefer or something.” Jaejoong responds. He groans when Yunho drags him inside the staff room. He is sure he isn’t allowed to be there but who cares, right? “He was just trying to infuriate me. Relax, Yunho. I was able to handle it.”

“But what if he hit you!”

“Then I’ll hit him back!” He snatches his wrist from Yunho and puts the bag of food on the table. He looks at the taller man with his hands on his waist. “Let’s get things straight. I’m not a damsel in distress who needs his knight in shining armour. I am my own knight in shining armour, got that? I can take care of myself just fine so don’t get your in a bunch just because you weren’t able to save the day. Are we clear? Now if that’s all, can we eat because I’m starving.”





“Penny for your thoughts?”

Jaejoong looks up from his laptop and sighs as Junsu anxiously looks at him. “I can’t concentrate on this thing.” He says with a sigh, referring to their reading assignment for the summer. He very much wants to scream in frustration but he can’t because that would be embarrassing and the library is not the appropriate place to do that.

“Yeah. And the reason for that is?”

Deciding that he won’t be getting any work done anytime soon, he carefully shuts his laptop close and ruffles his hair. “I’m confused. Like, are we dating or not?”

The look on Junsu’s face is priceless. “Oh no, Jaejae, but I don’t—”

“Yunho and I, not you and I, moron.” He shoots Junsu a glare, and then goes back to sulking. “Things are going good between us. It feels as if we’re a couple and yet the only thing that’s missing is a label. We do things couples do. Like everything.”

Junsu gapes. “Like everything everything.” Jaejoong nods and the flabbergasted teen gasps.

Jaejoong rolls his eyes at his overly dramatic best friend. “Not the point, Junsu. I want to ask him about it but I’m scared. What if he runs away?”

Junsu responds as soon as he regains his composure. “If runs away then that means he’s stupid. It looks like you’re in a some relationship, my Jaejae.”

“I didn’t want to put it like that, but I guess it’s what it really is.”

Jaejoong hates it. He hates it with every fibre of his being. He hates having to live every second feeling very anxious because what if Yunho decides he doesn’t like him anymore? They are not in an actual relationship. It would be easier for him to just leave. He does not understand why they can’t be something more tangible.

It feels real. Why can’t it be real?