The Weight

The Momentum

Chapter 4

Monday traffic is what Joohyun always dreads. She’s been to Europe last time and she wouldn’t actually know how it has been because commuting in a foreign country gets her excited. She’s stuck in heavy traffic and may be running late. First impressions don’t last. Or not. It’s her first time being able to work for a company. Her father’s company, that’s what she repeats to herself. Joohyun will be branded as the brat her father warned her about. At least she won’t see Seulgi, she thought to herself. Joohyun means it’s better like this. It’s twenty-nine minutes past nine. A minute left to her meeting. She thinks of what to buy later for her place but she can’t seem to shake off the thought of Seulgi with another person.

Joohyun arrives at JH headquarters. Mister Park has been waiting for her. She hands her keys over to valet.

“You’re late, miss”, Mister park nags her.

“Nothing to worry about, ahjussi! First impressions don’t last!” Joohyun replies enthusiastically.

Mister Park leads Joohyun to their writing office.

“Shouldn’t be I getting an id?” Joohyun asks.

“You don’t need one, miss. Everybody would know you in the building now. You’re actually stunning to look at that your father put up posters of yourself in the lobby area”, Mister Park says throwing a look to the right checking out the posters.

“Oh, so that’s what the book promotion pictorial was about. He’s too proud. It’s a good thing I got my looks from my mother”, Joohyun chuckles a bit.

“I hope you have a good first meeting, miss. Good luck!” The old man seems to be happy to see Joohyun around.

Joohyun knocks on the door. A tall woman opens it for her. She seems familiar.

“PD-nim! It’s nice to meet you. Come in!” The woman seems thrilled to see Joohyun.

Everybody was seated. The long table seems long for four people. Wait. Seulgi is seated in one of the seats. Seulgi doesn’t seem to be surprised.

Everyone stands in a line facing her. One by one they introduce themselves. Joohyun knows Seulgi. Of course. She’s the set designer. Seungwan and Sooyoung are co-writers too. Sooyoung is tall, Joohyun recalls. She’s the one Seulgi was clutching to last night when they were crossing the street.

Seulgi takes her seat. While the others gather around Joohyun to shake her hand. When it was Seungwan’s turn to shake Joohyun’s hand, Seungwan grabs it vigorously. Seulgi remembers Joohyun hurt her hand last time with the wine glass. She wonders if it hurts. But then, Joohyun deserves it. Seulgi caught Joohyun wincing after the incident.

Joohyun is seated opposite Seulgi. Beside Joohyun was Seungwan.

“I really loved your book sunbae-nim”, Seungwan says.

“Thanks, it took me long to write it.” Joohyun admits.

Looking from Seulgi to Joohyun, Sooyoung asks, “Do you know each other PD-nim?”

“Yeah, we do”, Joohyun says almost in a whisper. Sooyoung gets the cold atmosphere and doesn’t pry further.

 

The first meeting was a success. They’re off to a good start. They would need to write a good script in order for Joohyun’s idea to work out fine.

“Seungwan, shouldn’t we do a welcome party for PD-nim?!” Sooyoung asks loudly.

“That’s a good idea”, Seulgi says. She hasn’t said a word in the meeting and only looked downward the whole time.

The weight is pulling Joohyun down. She can tell that Seulgi isn’t in the mood to do such things. But then she forces herself to be and acts friendly towards Joohyun for the writers to see.

“Where do we go? I can’t drive around town without directions. I’ve been gone from the country too long.” Joohyun asks. Everyone knows she wasn’t around for three years so they’d assume she doesn’t know where restaurants are around.

“Seulgi can go with you. Her car is still in the auto repair shop.” Sooyoung says.

---

Both Seungwan and Sooyoung went first. They went to fetch their cars at the parking lot while Joohyun and Seulgi are left at the lobby entrance to wait for the valet.

Silence again. The weight is heavier now, Joohyun notices.

The car arrives. Joohyun hurries to the driver’s seat. Seulgi gets on too. Joohyun pulls the hand break ready to go but puts it back again. This time she inches to her right and pulls the seatbelt for Seulgi. Seulgi seems surprised.

Joohyun doesn’t actually know why she did it. It must have been something she did out of impulse. And yes, the weight in her heart was very heavy now. She knows Seulgi is talkative but now it looks like their roles have changed. She barely knows this silent Seulgi anymore.

While driving, Joohyun was becoming lost in the moment. She would step on the gas too fast and when she breaks heavily, Seulgi shields Joohyun from throwing off of her seat with her left arm.

Joohyun is distracted for sure. She turns on her playlist. The Weight by Gabe Bondoc was playing (I’m plugging my favorite artist here!). It’s a bright song. Joohyun thinks it’s a good choice too.

They arrived at the jokbal place Sooyoung recommended. Joohyun missed this. She and Seulgi has countless times eating in places like this.

Everyone seems to be enjoying so much. When Sooyoung chokes on ice, Seulgi was helping her recover from it. Some kind of jealousy forms within Joohyun that she drinks more soju than she intended to drink.

Seulgi knows Joohyun almost never drinks soju. Joohyun is more sophisticated than she knows. She’s sure Joohyun already loosened up from travelling. Joohyun is mostly quiet, introvert.  Joohyun would never initiate something like this bearing in mind they’re outside. Both of them were always drinking alone in their apartment in their college days because Joohyun doesn’t like drinking outside with other people. Seulgi becomes a wine convert. That’s what Joohyun always wanted. It’s free alcohol after all, so why would she whine about it?

---

Joohyun excuses herself to the restroom. She seems too drunk now.

“PD-nim, the restroom is past the stairs. Do you want me to accompany you?” Sooyoung offers.

“I’m good to go. Don’t worry about me.”

Fifteen minutes has passed and Joohyun hasn’t come back yet. Seulgi worries a bit. Everyone is drunk by now. But Seulgi insisted on not drinking. She doesn’t like soju now. She goes after Joohyun. She isn’t in the restroom. Where could she be? The stairs seem to lead somewhere. There’s no way Joohyun climbed up these many after all that alcohol intake, Seulgi thought.

The jokbal place’s rooftop was empty. Well, not exactly. Joohyun was there admiring the view. Seulgi goes for Joohyun and pulls her from the railings. She’s scared Joohyun might fall because she’s too drunk. Seulgi pulls too hard and Joohyun ends up in a hug-like position accidentally.

“We should go. Give me your keys, I’ll drive.” Seulgi says in a serious voice. She is agitated now.

“Wrong choice of words, Seulgi. I meant to say I am still in love with you.” Joohyun tells Seulgi in slurs.

Joohyun reaches for Seulgi’s lips with hers. Sulgi is taller than Joohyun after all. It was then that Seulgi realizes, it was a kiss. Seulgi is dumbfounded. Joohyun passes out in her arms after that.

The weight from Joohyun’s heart seems lighter that moment.