(Un)wanted

Walking on thin ice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Min Yoongi wasn’t exactly the kind of person you would want as your teacher. Especially not when it came to something that he had been practising for over 300 years and you were only a newbie. He was impatient, inconsistent and not good with words. However, he tried his best.

He had no idea what Joohyun thought about his methods, so he was glad when his efforts seemed to pay off after weeks of teaching her how to control her powers. Before learning how to control her newly given skills, Joohyun needed to learn how to control her mind in the first place. That required more strength and boldness on her part than anything ever before. He knew there was still something she didn’t tell him because there was an invisible barrier between the two of them; it was a very fine, very thin barrier yet it was there. That’s why he wasn’t even fully able to help her when she was struggling. Of course, he could understand that she didn’t want to share every little detail of her life with him but her mysteriousness came with consequences. One of them was him not being able to push her through the hardest parts of her mental training because he didn’t know the trauma behind her life. He knew it had something to do with her parents because she always glanced sideways when such topic arose, but he didn’t want to force her to talk about it unless she felt comfortable enough to do so.

Yoongi was already grateful for the fact that they could speak to each other without biting each other’s heads off. They still argued a lot but it was mostly because of Joohyun’s training and not because they didn’t understand each other and belittled the other’s knowledge like at their first encounter. The girl was lively enough to smile or even laugh at his lame jokes, not being afraid to counter-attack him or outright tell him that his puns were outrageous. After talking about his own family, Joohyun seemed more aware of the burden of being a Guardian, thus she was more empathetic than before. Knowing what he had to go through for humanity, she began to understand him and the other Guardians even though she couldn’t see them.

Surprisingly, Joohyun had made a significant progress under the three weeks they had spent together. She was finally able to hold back her outbursts and if she occasionally had one, she created something instead of destroying everything around her. Jack Frost thought her how to create snow, icicles and snowflakes properly and how to make them float above her head or around her body. He taught her how to defrost things she had created in case it wasn’t intentional on her part. He didn’t forget about the life-threatening situations either; Joohyun was thought how to make a snowstorm stop or how to keep back an icicle if it was already in the air between her and another person. She could also see just how powerful she was and how little she needed to hurt something or someone. She seemed to be very well aware of her power by that time.

The more she practiced, the more injuries and bruises she got. Yoongi always felt the need to reprimand her for not taking proper care of herself yet the words died on his tongue the moment he saw the flinch on her face or the way she wanted to conceal her pain. He was there for her every single time she hurt herself and covered the injured parts of her skin with bandages or plasters.

The other Guardians were fond of teasing him, seeing the way he took care of her, not to mention the way his gaze was fixed on her whenever she was talking. His subtle moves (at least he wanted them to be subtle) couldn’t go unnoticed by the others.

Once, they were talking about the possible ways Joohyun could have got her power in the abandoned warehouse while the girl was sleeping safe and sound in her flat. After Yoongi shared with them the similarities he had noticed between their powers, the sassy Kibum couldn’t keep his mouth shut. As usual.

“I’m telling you, he’s totally whipped for her.” Bunnymund stated with a wide grin, earning a smack in the chest from Tooth. The girl was usually very sensitive when it came to her favourite lovebirds and it resulted in the increasing number of arguments between Kibum and Hayoung.

“You really don’t know what to do with your free time, do you?” The fairy shot him a deadly glare which made the other Guardian characteristically fractious. “We get that Easter is still far away but you should really get yourself a hobby instead of teasing these two.” She hissed at him, holding her chin up high.

It would have been an understatement to say that everyone in the room froze. Joonmyun let out a weary sigh as he listened to the youngsters bicker while Mark looked like he was about to dig his own grave with his two hands instead of seeing the end of this conversation. While Bunny and Tooth maintained the fierce eye-contact between the two of them, Yoongi was more than uncomfortable with the situation. He couldn’t deny that he had feelings for Joohyun but how couldn’t he when they practically spent every hour together in the last three weeks? Yet, he was just as confused with his feelings as they were regarding Joohyun’s power. He was sure he had feelings for her but he didn’t know exactly what kind of feelings he had.

“Alright, you two!” Joonmyun cleared his throat to gain the Tooth and Bunnymund’s attention. Kibum was the first to break the eye-contact but he looked like he was about to give up anyway when Joonmyun spoke up. Hayoung was still fuming a bit but when she saw Yoongi’s tiny little smile, she couldn’t help but pout. If Jack Frost was okay with the way Bunnymund made fun of them, who was she to protest?

“Let him decide whether he likes Joohyun or not. Our job is not to play matchmakers but to assist her as much as possible.” Santa Claus continued kindly, patting his big belly as if he wanted to prove a point. Bunnymund rolled his eyes one last time before he decided to call it a day and shut up for good.

“We still don’t know how she got her power and why it’s so similar to our Guardian’s. The Man in the Moon hasn’t talked to her according to Yoongi, so we can’t be sure that she’s a future Guardian. Plus, we don’t know if she’s aging or not, so we don’t even know if she’s immortal ever since she got her power.” He explained carefully going over the details, looking at Yoongi for agreement. The boy nodded in response.

“That’s right. The fact that we had our powers only after we died and after the Man in the Moon chose us doesn’t help either. She’s alive and she hasn’t seen the Man in the Moon, so we’re doomed if we want to rely on those facts.” Yoongi concluded with a weary sigh, his shoulders slumping in annoyance.

“Since when does she have her power?” Hayoung blinked innocently at him, her big doe eyes hungry for answers.

“She says that she doesn’t know an exact date. It was around the time she moved to Seoul with her sister after the funeral of her parents.” Yoongi answered to which the fairy flinched. She must have thought that Joohyun had an easy life – or at least supportive parents – but since she was always seen alone and scared, it shouldn’t have come as a surprise to her. Though it seemed it was actually a surprise for her and for the others as well.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter