Ninth

One Last Time

Yuri reached over to help her friend up, “Did you fall?”

“A little. Sorry for making you wait.”

“No worries. Come on lets go.”

Jessica walked slowly behind Yuri taking a look around, “Maybe I should have turned around for Taeyeon…I am so stupid. Even if it was just a dream I let my only chance to be with her slip away…”

Jessica adjusted her bag on her shoulder walking behind her friend lost in thoughts of what would have happened if she stayed behind. Didn’t return.

Regrets.

Jessica had so many regrets.

Yuri swung the back door open leading into the parking lot. Jessica was almost so lost in her thoughts of the past few days spent 10 years ago, when they arrived to the car, she could have sworn she saw Taeyeon standing there.

Indeed, Taeyeon was standing there.

Yuri smiled at her friend, “Were you waiting long? Jessica got lost.”

Taeyeon flashed a large smile as she pushed herself off the car, “I just pulled the car up.” Then Taeyeon did something unexpected. She opened her arms when Jessica approached and pulled her into her embrace, “did you get lost? I know it has been 10 years but our high school doesn’t look that different.”

Jessica stood numb. Here she was in the arms of her crush. What the hell was going on??

Taeyeon looked down wondering why Jessica wasn’t hugging her back, “Baby are you okay?”

Baby?

Jessica wanted to die and go to heaven at that moment. She kept chanting in her head not to let this be a dream.

“Jess?” Even Yuri looked at her worried.

“Huh?”

Taeyeon removed her arms around Jessica and cupped her face, “You alright? Did something happen inside?”

Jessica wanted to scream, ‘You have no idea.’ But she kept mum trying to wrap her head around everything that was going on at this moment. Not wanting to worry everyone, she did what she did best and was to act, “E-everything is fine. I am just tired. It was a long night.”

Taeyeon flashed her a blindingly beautiful smile again, “You did have some wine too. Let’s go home.” And then Taeyeon kissed her. It was a light brush of the lips, but in that moment, Jessica felt the whole world fade away to the softness of Taeyeon’s touch.

As Jessica’s eyes closed slowly to savor the moment, a flood of memories came back.

~10 years ago at prom~

“Jessica! Jessica! Please wait up!” Taeyeon used all the power in her legs and finally caught Jessica’s wrist, “Why are you running?”

Jessica was already in tears, “I am so sorry…now you really hate me.”

Taeyeon started laughing and brushing away Jessica’s tears, “Why would I hate you?”

“I just…you know…aren’t you like disgusted by me?”

“No stupid. I just ran after you to do this.” Taeyeon grabbed the back of Jessica’s head and pulled her in for one long and searing kiss leaving both girls breathless, “I-I have wanted to do that for a long time now.”

The jumble of events in Jessica’s brain caused her to rethink all the events that happened in the past few minutes, “Do you….like me?”

Taeyeon smiled happily, “even when we were fighting my heart ached to be with you.”

Jessica found herself smiling along with Taeyeon, “I have a confession.”

“That you like me too because the kiss before….kind of gave it away,” Taeyeon now fully confidant to show her affection towards the woman she loved.

“No…the fight…I thought you should know I was just jealous…I never meant to say those things…it was stupid.”

“I figured that out pretty much after you kissed me. I just never imaged in a million years that you would actually feel the same as me. I guess that is why what you said really hurt me so bad, but I want to put that behind us.” Taeyeon reached forward and grabbed Jessica’s hands, “I am asking this a little late, but for a long time I have wanted to ask you, do you want to be my prom date?”

Jessica giggled like a little girl, “We are already at prom.”

“I know but I have been wanting to ask this question for a while now. You were the person I really wanted to go here with. Not any of those stupid boys. Just you. Jessica Jung, my best friend, and hopefully girlfriend if I don’t screw the rest of the night up?”

Jessica smiled happily and cupped the side of Taeyeon’s face, “I thought you would never ask.”

 Jessica opened her eyes staring into the black orbs she was so in love with, “Taeyeon…”

Taeyeon giggled, “I didn’t know my kisses could still take your breath away.” Although Taeyeon meant that as a joke, Jessica crashed their lips together again causing another flashback.

~10 years ago~

Jessica reached down to pick up her hat from the ground right before Yuri came up behind her and tackled her, “Can you believe it!!!”

Groaning in pain and misery Jessica pushed her friend off her, “I still believe you are super heavy, yes.”

Yuri rolled her eyes, “We finally graduated stupid! We can leave this place behind! Create new adventures!”

Jessica smiled happily, “Yea. I am pretty excited.”

“Jessica! Honey!” Jessica’s parents came over with camera in hand, “Let’s get photos!”

Of course Yuri flashed a few poses before a few other friends came over to take pictures but Jessica kept looking around for another girl until she spotted her, “Taeyeon! Over here.”

Taeyeon smiled widely seeing Jessica with her parents, “I don’t know how I lost you.”

Jessica skipped over to Taeyeon, “Just in time for pictures.”

Jessica’s mom took more pictures before looking at Taeyeon curiously, “So this is the girl that is going to be your roommate in college?”

Embarrassed, Jessica nodded, “yes.”

Taeyeon reached out her hand to greet Jessica’s parents formally, “I will take good care of your daughter don’t you worry.”

“I am a little worried. New York is so far…”

Taeyeon giggled, “If anything Jessica will have to help me. My English is not nearly as good as hers.”

“It is just a dangerous city.”

Taeyeon reached out to grab Jessica’s hand, “I promise to never leave her side.”

Jessica released the long kiss again but with tears of joy in her eyes, “Taeyeon…New York?”

Taeyeon tilted her head in confusion, “What? Did you want us to go back? I don’t think we have our college reunion for another few years. Jessica what is getting into you? First you acted like you don’t know me and now you are being overly affectionate…”

Jessica didn’t leave the girl a chance to talk when Jessica pulled her into another kiss.

~5 Years ago~

“It is perfect!” Jessica screamed in excitement.

Taeyeon was laughing next to her holding out keys for Jessica to take, “You are the new owner.”

Like a kid in a candy store, Jessica ran through the empty store and twirled around several times before going back to Taeyeon and tackling her to the floor, “Baby it is absolutely perfect. You are perfect. God I don’t deserve you.”

Taeyeon leaned up and captured Jessica’s lips in a searing kiss, “your dreams are my dreams.”

Jessica rolled off Taeyeon and onto her back, “It still feels like a dream.”

Taeyeon propped herself up onto her elbow and looked down on Jessica, “I know you will do great. You already have all the designs and now you have a place to sell them. Plus you have me as your personal PR team. I am going to tell everyone to come here.”

Jessica giggled, “are you going to recruit all your student’s moms to come here? Because I don’t sell children’s clothing.”

Taeyeon reached over and rubbed Jessica’s belly, “Someday that could change.”

Jessica put her hand over Taeyeon’s, “As long as that someday is with you.”

Reaching in her pocket, Taeyeon took out a ring, “Is that a promise.”

“Oh my God…” Jessica could feel the tears well in her eyes.

“You just have to say yes….” Taeyeon was flat on her back when Jessica pulled her into another kiss.

“Yes. A million yeses. I love you so much.” Jessica kissed her sensless.

Yuri was leaning on the car, “Yea you both disgust me. If you are both just going to make-out in the parking lot, please drive me home first.”

Taeyeon and Jessica giggled, “If you don’t like what you see, then don’t watch.” Taeyeon stuck out her tongue, “but baby we really should take this home.”

Jessica ducked her head in embarrassment, “Yea sorry…I was just caught up in the moment.”

Taeyeon reached down and weaved their hands together, “I get emotional coming back here too knowing this is where our story started, but lets go home to our present and future.”

Jessica reached down and took Taeyeon’s hand in hers playing with the ring on her finger, “my future is where ever you are.”

Taeyeon leaned in for a quick kiss, “I love you too.”

Jessica could feel her heart swell feeling the cold metal on her fingertips to the promise that her next 10 years would be spent with Taeyeon. Maybe some people do get second chances?

 

~END~