First

One Last Time

Day in and day out, nothing changed. Jessica sighed for the ninth time today just staring out the window wondering if she made the right decision in life. “Daydreaming again?”

Jessica turned to her friend who owned the coffee shop, “Hey Yuri, I was just looking at the birds.”

Yuri placed the empty tray on the table, “I see you are alone again.”

“This is my secret getaway,” Jessica smiled as she stared off into nothingness.

“What are you escaping from?” Yuri leaned forward on the table trying to figure out what was in Jessica’s head. She had known Jessica for 12 years but to this day, she never understood her. There were times when she thought Jessica would come out of her shell, but then she would be gone lost in her own world looking out a window or up to the sky.

“I don’t know,” Jessica hummed, “Do you ever wonder if you did everything…right? I feel like I could have had a whole other life that wasn’t as boring as this one.”

Yuri raised her brow, “Oh? Something with your job?”

“My job is going well. I don’t hate it if that is what you are asking but that isn’t the point.” Jessica kept her eyes down at her empty mug, “I feel like there is something…missing.”

Yuri grinned, “you mean a special someone right?! I can totally set you up!”

“No no no!” Jessica gasped in desperation, “I don’t need to date. I can’t date. I am basically undatable.”

“I hardly doubt that,” Yuri eyed up the stunning blonde, “you are a total catch.”

Jessica waved off the compliment, “I know that. I just don’t feel anything when I am with a guy. Nothing. Like there is no spark. I must be broken to never have experienced love.”

“Really? Never?”

Jessica thought about it for a while and that is when one person came to mind. It was so long ago, “Not in particular.”

“Wow that is something. Maybe you are broken.” Yuri reasoned.

“Yah! You are supposed to make me feel better as I tell you my woes.”

Yuri shrugged as she got up and grabbed her tray, “a friend can only help so much. Good luck with finding your purpose in life.” Jessica sat there pouting that she spilled her heart out to her friend but got nothing in return until a piece of paper was slipped in front of her, “I forgot that Heechul gave me this. A reunion of some sort.”

Jessica read the paper and her eyes widened, “No…I am not going back to some high school reunion. I hated everyone there.”

Yuri laughed, “Oh come on you still like me.”

“With a few exceptions,” Jessica added.

“Well you are coming as my date so Heechul can stop following me around forcing me to go.”

“No way in hell!” Jessica stood up ready to walk out the door when Yuri blocked her way.

“Come on. I need my partner in crime and Sooyoung told me most of the other girls are going. It would be good for you to reconnect with everyone. Pleeeeaaase!” Yuri gave Jessica the most innocent eyes she could muster.

Jessica shook her head, “I am not missing anything from my past. There is nothing you can do to make me go back.”

Yuri raised her brow, “You say that nowwww…”

“I mean it Yuri there is nothing you can say that would make me go.” Jessica gathered her belongings and left the coffee shop with the owner watching her with a smug grin on her face.

 

It was a Friday night when Jessica answered the door in her pajamas intending to stay the night in watching a movie after a long work week, “Why are you here?” Jessica did not invite her to her private time, hell Jessica wasn’t sure Yuri remembered how to get to her house.

“Get dressed. We are going out.” Yuri smiled widely.

Jessica took a good look of what Yuri was wearing, “I am not up for clubbing tonight.”

Yuri invited herself in, “Not clubbing but make yourself look nice.”

Jessica sat back down on the couch with Yuri following, “I don’t feel like going out. I had a hard day at work. I just want to Netflix and chill by myself.”

Yuri scooted closer, “I have a proposal.”

Jessica rolled her eyes, “I have a feeling this proposal only benefits you.”

“Come on! I am your good friend and I only have your happiness in mind.”

“I highly doubt that but I will give you 10 minutes before I call the cops to remove you from my house.”

“We are going to our high school reunion.” Jessica glared at Yuri who knew Jessica would be resistant to the idea, “if you come, I’ll give you free coffee for the month.”

Jessica laughed, “You are trying to buy me off with coffee?”

“That and…I won’t disturb you.”

Yuri was a talker and if she did see Jessica in the shop, Jessica couldn’t read her book or enjoy the time off of work…maybe this wouldn’t be so bad, “fine…”

Yuri jumped off the couch happily, “Let me help you find some good clothes!”

Jessica sighed as she followed behind Yuri to her room, “Don’t you dare pick out anything ty!”

Yuri was already holding a tight short dress, “Aww but you need to look amazing!”

Jessica snatched the dress out of Yuri’s hands and put the dress back, “I am not going there looking like a stripper or having you eye out my goods the whole time.”

“You are taking away most of my fun for the night.”

Jessica laughed, “If the girls are all there, you can look at Sunny’s assets, I am sure they only got bigger since high school.”

“True, she does have a good pair.” Yuri smiled sinfully as she shifted through Jessica’s clothes, “Okay not ty but we still need you to look super hot.”

Jessica went through her clothes unenthusiastically, “What does it matter anyway? I have no one to impress there.”

“Got it!” Yuri held up a light pink form fitting but sophisticated dress, “Everyone has at least one person to impress at a high school reunion. You may have just forgotten whom.”

Jessica took the dress from Yuri, “you are lucky I love this dress and the shoes are really comfortable.”

Yuri smiled in victory, “Now your hair and you are not going out without make-up.”

Jessica groaned but let Yuri lead her to the bathroom giving her a full makeover. She had to admit that Yuri was exceptionally great at making her look amazing. Maybe if Yuri’s coffee shop were to close, she could have a job as a stylist.

“Perfect. We are so ready.” Yuri admired her work of art, “I have my car parked outside.”

Jessica wasn’t happy about this arrangement and she certainly wasn’t ready to answer questions about her life faking to be happy, but when the sight of their old school came into sight, butterflies filled her stomach. Was it nerves or excitement?

“The outside looks exactly the same.” Yuri whispered under her breath as she parked the car, “I wonder if the inside got improved at all.”

Yuri went around the car helping Jessica out, “I can’t imagine that they didn’t have the budget to fix the broken bathroom on the 2nd floor.”

“I am not talking about plumbing stupid.” Yuri and Jessica walked up to the building handing their tickets to two of the classmates, “I see Heechul roped you in Eunhyuk.”

Eunhyuk gave Yuri and Jessica a disappointed smile, “he has a way with words. I wondered if most of these people showed up just because Heechul wouldn’t leave them alone unless they agreed to come.”

Yuri and Jessica chuckled knowing their class president all to well, “no one can resist his charm. See you inside later.” Waving off the ticket-master, Yuri and Jessica walked into a world so familiar to them, “Not much changed honestly.”

Jessica stood still in her tracks taking in the sights, smells and sounds of her old school. She wanted to close her eyes and imagine the days she used to walk these halls but Yuri’s annoying way of shoving her into the gym was enough to break from her dreaming. The rotating light on the ceiling blinded Jessica for a moment but she batted her eyes to get used to the lighting, “…this looks like nearly our whole class.”

Jessica walked around the hall with Yuri, “I got a text from Sooyoung that they are in here somewhere.”

“We should go by the food. Yoona would be there at the very least.”

“That is a smart idea!” Yuri laughed at the thought of her friend eating the whole night.

When the duo spotted Yoona, Yuri was the first to run up to the girl but Jessica stayed back as if her feet were stuck in mud. She had so many thoughts. Thoughts of how she never made an effort to keep in contact with any of her friends. How she basically abandoned them when she went to college to pursue a dream that was never fruitful. In fact, Jessica was embarrassed that she had such dreams that led her to a normal job in a corporate office just like every one else.

However, none of that mattered to Yoona when she spotted Jessica cheerfully, “Is that Jessica?!” Running up to her long lost friend, Yoona engulfed Jessica in the warmest hug Jessica had in a long time bringing tears into her eyes, “It has been soooo long!”

Jessica held onto the hug as long as she could but Sooyoung came along and broke up the reunion to also grab her into a hug, “Jessssssiiiccccaaa! We missed you girl!”

Jessica laughed at her two goofy tall friends, “missed you too.”

“Yuri is such a for keeping you away from us.” Sooyoung said as she hit Yuri on the shoulder.

“On the contrary, Yuri doesn’t know when to stay away.” Jessica retorted.

“Hey! You are the one that keeps coming to my coffee shop. That reminds me why the hell do none of you ever visit?! Jessica comes, she is my only supportive friend!”

Sooyoung pushed some alcohol in Jessica and Yuri’s hands, “Never mind that, this is better than coffee.”

Jessica was about to take a sip from her glass, another woman barged in, “It’s my girls!” Of course Tiffany the only American foreign exchange student was here. Sometimes she wished Tiffany stayed in America so Jessica could have some quiet in her life, but Tiffany didn’t need to know that. “Oh my God it is Jessica,” Jessica got roped into another huge hug, “I missed you so much! You have to tell me everything!”

Jessica didn’t want to tell anything, “well you see…”

“Hold on,” Something caught Tiffany’s attention, “is that Hyoyeon on the dance floor? Didn’t she become some like dance instructor?”

Sooyoung nodded, “I thought she was going to be an idol but rumors said she didn’t like the singing so she did back up dancing and then opened a studio.”

“Hey we are missing the other three…where the hell are they?” Yuri said as she counted the group.

Just then a busty shorter woman joined the group, “We were right here you tall giant.”

Jessica chuckled as the girls bantered and Yuri’s eyes went down to Sunny’s chest, “hey Sunny.”

Sunny eyed up the woman with curious eyes, “I think I am seeing a ghost. Is this our beautiful Jessica Jung?” Jessica gave her friend a shy smile, “I brought Seohyun and my other half, Taeyeon.”

Sooyoung made some sort of joke that Taeyeon was Sunny’s other half to make one whole person to be as tall as her, but Jessica was lost in thoughts of how Taeyeon didn’t age one bit. How her skin was still so pale, yet she looked very mature. It really had been so long since Jessica saw her and those pesky butterflies started fluttering in her stomach again.