Chapter 1

Overwater Bungalow

“Let me guess, your boyfriend cheated on you.”

“What?”

The only thing a startled Lisa has to say when a stranger suddenly interrupted her in the middle of eating her pulled pork bun at this breakfast buffet provided by her hotel in the Island of Moorea of French Polynesia.

“Well, there are only two reasons why people like you end up in a place like this on their own. Their boyfriends cheated on them or their husbands did.”

If it weren’t for Lisa being brought up good by her parents, she would’ve left the girl alone the moment she approached her with a sudden attack talking about boyfriends. Thankfully it wasn’t a guy, coz if it was, she would’ve thought that he’s hitting on her.

“Who said I’m alone?”

“Well, first off, you won’t be eating here alone if you are with someone, secondly, you look like as if someone’s cat died.”

What nerve does this girl have talking that way to Lisa, she was definitely weirded out by the stranger in front of her but she responded anyway.

“Seems like you’re also on your own, did your boyfriend cheated on you?” She grinned

She thought the girl will get annoyed as well but she burst into laughter instead and said no and just ended it there, Lisa on the other hand was still patiently waiting for her explanation, after a few moments the girl must’ve catch it.

“My girlfriend did...”

Lisa was caught there off guard, the girl doesn’t appear to be a girl who happen to have a relationship with the same , she doesn’t even look gay for her.

“..she cheated on her boyfriend to be with me and she cheated on me to get back to that boyfriend of hers.”

Lisa was however surprised with how this girl can still smile after telling a story as heartbreaking as that.

“Oh, I’m sorry to hear that.”

She truly was sorry for her, she wouldn’t know what to do when that happens to her.

She grabbed the paper towel wipe with it when she finished eating.

“I’m heading back now.” She gathered her things and got on her tracks exiting the hall.­

While on her way Lisa somehow felt anxious about her surroundings, when she looked on her back, she saw the same weird girl from breakfast.

“Are you following me?”

“Why would I follow you?”

Lisa chose to just ignore the girl.

“Sooo, how did your boyfriend cheat on you?”

They we’re already on the wooden pathway going to the bungalows where Lisa was staying in one and Lisa was definitely annoyed at the same time creeped out with her unwanted company.

“Why are you still following me?”

There was a hint of annoyance in her voice this time. Lisa was already in the front door of her bungalow and that time she actually was kind of scared more than being annoyed with the woman that is now in front of her, she thought about what if this woman do something bad to her, she doesn’t look like a bad person at all, but she was being weird since breakfast and that was what scared her.

“Technically, I’m not following you…”

the door of the bungalow next to Lisa’s opened as the girl slid the key card to its door lock.

“This is me, I’ll see you later.”

The girl said smiling as she get in the bungalow and close its door. Lisa on the other hand was beyond embarrassed, regretful of her actions, how could she not thought that the girl maybe on her way to her room also. She felt terrible for accusing the girl of following her she just hoped that she doesn’t mind it as much as she did.

Lisa’s room for ten days was an over the water bungalow, hers was also the farthest one from land. The bungalows are setup in a one long wooden pathway branching and at the end of each branches are the bungalows, each bungalow has it’s privacy and it has this romantic vibe that is why it was also often called by the tourists as the “Couples Room”, which is funny for Lisa’s case she just wanted the bungalow for it’s privacy and having the easiest access to the sea. Parallel to Lisa’s bungalow was occupied by the girl from breakfast, only separated by a small pathway.

Having not showered since her arrival the night before, Lisa felt like she stink already her hair feels greasy and dirty. Ever since she saw the water surrounding her bungalow it was as if the water was pulling her in, and right then she decided to give in. She changed in to her black two piece swim suit, Lisa being Lisa who was always conscious about her look which was maybe caused by four years of training in her agency and having debuted two years ago, there we’re other girls who are much prettier than her which made her insecurities towards her look grow over the years. It took her a while to get over her insecurities, but of course there were days when she feel discontent within herself, and that includes the morning she decided to take a dip in the crystal blue waters of Moorea.

After a long time of just checking herself on the mirror she finally reassured herself that she’s good and have nothing to worry about, besides there’s probably no one out there that early. She went out her balcony that leads to the small deck that has stairs going in the water, it was overlooking the seemingly endless body of water. When she got out, the girl from next door was also in her own balcony, watching the waves hit the leg of her bungalow interestingly, only looking up when she take a gulp of the beer she was holding. She snapped out of her trance when she heard Lisa’s voice.

“Really? This early?”

“Oh hey! Going for a dip?”

Lisa saw the girl eyed her from head to toe, her insecurities creeping in again Nodded her eyes still fixed on the beer on the stranger’s hand

“You want one?”

“Uhhh, no.”

Lisa then, decided to get in the water. She accidentally moaned when the water brushed against her toes, it was warm and so soothing. She went all in and felt much better, she must’ve thanked all the gods for creating a beauty like that place, and while in the middle of appreciating the nature, the girl of course butted in again.

“Wow. The water must be that good to get that reaction from you.”

“Are you ever gonna shut up?”

Lisa slightly annoyed with the girl for disturbing her peace. She was waiting for another comment but there was just silence. Looking up the girl’s balcony, Lisa was surprised that the girl wasn’t there, and as she was starting to enjoy her alone time, there was this huge splash on the water a few feet away from her. The girl just jumped in the water that is chest deep, she elicited the same reaction Lisa made when she first get in the water but more over the top. Lisa couldn’t help but a chuckle a bit.

“You really are something.” Lisa said while the girl was enjoying herself in the water.

“What were you saying?”

“Nothing.”

The girl reached out to the floor of her deck to grab her beer.

“You sure you don’t want one? I have lots in my fridge it won’t hurt to give you one”

Lisa was about to decline but the girl was already climbing up the stairs grabbing a few more bottle from inside her room. She placed the bottles on the floor once again that is within her reach when she’s in the water. She brought one with her in the water and another one for Lisa.

“C’mon take it, it’s bad to say no to blessings you know.”

Lisa took the bottle because she knew the girl wouldn’t stop until she take it.

“There you go! I knew you want it.

Sooooo, did your boyfriend cheated on you?”

“Oh my god. Are you not gonna stop with that boyfriend thing?” 

“What? I’m just trying to make a conversation here.”

“Can’t you find other things to talk about other than that boyfriend thing you were talking about since we met this morning?” Lisa was definitely annoyed this time.

“But, It’s still morning eh?”

Lisa sighed in annoyance, she couldn’t take the girl anymore so she made her way back to her room, and decided to spend the whole day with peace.

The girl was left there on her own with her beer.