Chapter 1: I'll live for you.

Real Love, Fake Love

SEOUL. YEAR 2000.

My heart was beating fast. I cannot remember the last time I felt this way.

The black limousine I was riding came into halt in front of a the gate of a mansion-like school. It's located somewhere near the outskirts of Seoul, where it's supposed to help not draw much attention from people. It's stupid, though. It's the most excellent high school out there, plus it's plagued with scions of rich, influential families. Ofcourse, no matter where you strategically place it, it's going to garner attention both nationally and internationally. And yes, it's hard to get in this place. I had to work five times harder than before just to get  in this school. It's not that I can't get in, it's just that I have to ensure myself I can get in. I can't bear to disappoint my family. All for this prestigious Neul Paran High School.

I heard stories and legends pertaining to this institution. I heard that various unconventional classes were required by this school. Aside from the usual classes like Math, Science, Korean language, and others, there's also tea ceremony class, painting class, self-defense class, archery class, horseback riding class, Korean culture class, Foreign Language class, gardening and sewing classes, and all the other outrageous-sounding class that's not even part of a normal high school's curriculum. As expected, this school's mission is to form well-rounded, proper individuals fit of the heir/heiress title. Sounds lovely on the ears of a rich family, no? Especially on my family's.

The driver opened the door from the outside, and then I stepped out. I looked at Mr. Hwang, who has been our driver for 5 years already. He looked at me softly, and smiled.

"Good luck on your first day,  Ms. Park. I'm cheering you on." He muttered. I smiled back.

"Thank you, ahjussi. I'm thankful for you." I replied.

I bid him goodbye as I watched our limousine drive away. I turned around to take another look at the school. The front part was beautifully landscaped, with lots of trees and bushes placed along the paths. Students were swarming towards the school. They all knew someone. I didn't, since I just transferred right in the middle of the year. 

Since it came into this topic, I thought about how I got into this situation on the first place. A year ago, I was just a normal Korean kid who's attending her first year of high school in Busan. I lived with my older brother, Park Seo Joon, and my parents. We're just an average, middle class family. My dad owned a small restaurant nearby our house that serves seafood. At weekends, he would spend a day fishing with his friends. My mom works in the market that sells different kinds of meat. I had two of my best friends -- Kang Ha Ni and Gong Seung Yeon, and we would hang-out all the time. We'd fail classes together, or we'd ace them together. We'd hang-out during weekends, on coffee shops or ice-cream shops while we watch Korean dramas together. It wasn't much, but I treasured the people, the settings, the moments, and the memories.

Little did I know, my parents had a hidden past. They've always told me and my brother that they were college sweethearts, but that's it. I never knew much about my dad's grandparents --but they've told us that my mom's parents both passed away already. One day, they sat down and confessed to both of us. My parents eloped when they were on their mid 20's, since my grandparents disapproved on my mom because she isn't a heiress or anything. It's true they were college sweethearts. My dad's family was freaking rich -- they own a large conglomerate that focuses on real estate developments and telecommunications. They contacted my parents few weeks before they confessed to us, intending to hand down the family business to our family. My dad's the only child, and few years after my parents eloped, my grandparents decided to forgive my parents. Grandpa did a lot of thinking. It turns out that all throughout these years, my grandfather hired someone to keep tabs on my family so they knew what's going on all along. My dad, wanting to apologize properly to my grandfather, decided to take on the family business.

 

As if my life is a fairytale, one day we're rich.

 

My brother, who's already in college during that time, decided to pursue studies abroad to prepare himself for the company. We moved to Seoul, to the mansion that belonged to my grandparents. They insisted that I go to Neul Paran High School, which I initially opposed. It sounded intimidating, and I'm not yet over the shock I felt with all the changes that happened. But since my dad, mom, and brother cheered me on, I agreed. From one normal lifestyle to a bizarre one, it looks like I don't have much of a choice. I accepted their offer with one condition -- that I get to live the way I want to. I get to wear the clothes I want. I get to eat the food I want. I get to do the things I want, atleast for most of the time. I understand that there might be few exceptions. I also have to protect the family's image, but I don't wanna lose who I am... who I have been since then.

Now, back to this moment. I'm infront of the gate of Neul Paran High. I vividly remember walking towards the school's main door, not expecting much but to survive.

The next thing I remember were various moments of my life -- like clips of a movie put together and flashed on a screen. The first few days of school, when I struggled making friends because people liked to have their own cliques -- those who are family friends usually stick together. But I knew no one. I lost my courage to approach people and make new friends. The situation here is just too different compared to my old high school. I guess it doesnt help that my grandparents are the probably most influential out of all, so they might be cautious towards me. I might be a threat, or a competition in the future. During these times, it was also hard to contact my friends in Busan, as I was busy going on family dinners and networking events. Plus, they're probably also busy with their studies. Nevertheless, I miss them at times like this. We promised to gather again when the time is right.

Next, the moment when I got my card, failing all those other classes except for the basic ones (math, science, English, Korean language). Next, being humiliated in the tea ceremony class by accidentally breaking the cups and teapots, and by not being able to perform ceremonies properly. Next, my whole life being exposed to whole South Korea because of an article pertaining to the next generation family (our family) that will inherit my grandparents' conglomerate. My life in Busan -- everything was revealed. Don't get me wrong, I don't think there's anything wrong with my life. It's just that it's way too different for these people. It's not similar to how they've been brought up. Everywhere I walk, I see people looking at me as if I was some disgusting person. People whispered that I wasn't a good enough heiress for such a  big conglomerate. That I am a failure, and that I don't deserve such fate. Next, that day when some weird prank was made on me. Some anonymous user posted a picture of me eating street food alone, or shopping in hand-me-down shops. They also posted a picture analyzing my get-up, like putting a price on the cheap clothes I wear when I'm out. I never liked wearing make-up, but it was also pointed out. I realized then that people in my school wore them, as if it's some normal thing. Plus, some pictures of me epic failing some classes like archery, self-defense, tea ceremony, among others. Everyone else was doing well, but I wasn't. My life so far is just too different from them. I remember those days when I'd force myself to go to school and attend these classes, clearly aware of the snickers and whispers behind my back. I thought it was fine, as long as I don't get kicked out. I just need to graduate from this school anyway.

"I have to do this. I have to finish this school for my parents." I repeatedly tell myself, hoping that these words would rid my heart of any negative feelings.

The next thing I remember was falling off the horse on our horse-riding class on a weekend. It was bad because I remember that I forgot to put my phone inside my bag. It was a cheap phone, but it contained all the memories my friends in Busan and I shared. It has a sentimental value, since it's the first thing my father bought for me from his restaurant's first day sales. I fell down the mud, and I lost my phone on it. Instead of getting up, I crawled on the mud, frantically looking for my phone. I don't care how I looked like. I needed to find the phone. Once again, I heard my classmates nearby whispering, audible enough as if they intentionally wanted me to hear.

"Pathetic. She's looking for that cheap phone. She's got so much money, why look pathetic for something  like that."

"She should act properly so she wont further embarrass herself. She's got her family's image to uphold. They're influential. She should just turn into new leaf."

I stopped, holding back my tears. Why do I have to change myself? Why do I have to change what I've been used to just because I suddenly got rich? I don't understand. Someone, just make me understand.

Before my vision got blurry due to my watery eyes, I saw someone walked towards me. He stopped infront of me, bent down, and started crawling with me together in the mud. I wiped my eyes, making my face a bit muddy. He looked concentrated. Suddenly, he stopped searching as his faced lighted up.

"Aha, this is what you've been looking for, right?" He looked at me with a smile, my phone in his hand. I nodded. I didn't understand what was going on. He stood up, and held out a hand towards me.

"Get up, since I found your phone." He said. I reached out for his hand and stood up.

"You're Seo Yeong, right? I heard a lot about you." He muttered. I know, it's not a surprise anymore. But then, this guy... I don't remember seeing him from any of my classes.

"You're..." I trailed off as I tried to remember who he is.

"I'm Jun Ho. I was a bit late for this class." He smiled as he scratched the back of his head. "I only came back to school today, I was in the hospital for about three weeks. It was tough since I had a lot to catch up to."

I stared at him. Why was he being too nice? That's when it crossed my mind.

"If you're being nice to me just to gain my trust and leave me after, just go. I know what you might do. I just need to graduate from this school, I'm doing this for my family. Please, just let me survive. I'd rather be ignored."

He looked like he was taken aback by what I said for a brief moment, but he eventually smiled again.

"It's a pity if I ignored you. You look like you need help in adjusting. If we stick together from now on, I'll help you."

They were beautiful words that tugged my heart. I felt like I need them, but I was still torn over my previous and new life.

"Why should you help me? I should be able to remain who I was. This is who I am. I cant adjust who I am just because I suddenly got rich overnight." I protested. He paused to think, then he looked back.

"You look like someone who needs help. Afterall, with this situation, there's only moving forward. There's no going back."

He's right. Maybe I was adamant in adjusting, but I convinced myself I am.

"You can still adjust without losing your true self, you know." He added.

I, who associated my identity with how I lived before, questioned myself and how I know who I am. Maybe I just wanted the things the way they should be before. Maybe... I told myself I wanted to adjust, and that I am adjusting, but deep inside I still refuse because I deeply rooted my identity with how I lived an average life in Busan, and everything else that surrounded me.

Stripped off of anything materialistic, who am I? Not basing on how I lived in Busan and how I should live as an heiress, who am I? What makes me... me?

"Don't be afraid. I'll help you." He smiled, as if the words he uttered were the most normal thing in the world.

He changed my life... that Lee Jun Ho. From that moment on, I decided to live for him.

 

***

SEOUL. YEAR 2005.  

I heard my phone ring. I woke up from a nap, and found myself in Ha Ni and Seung Yeon's apartment. They were busy cooking dinner, and I didn't realize I fell asleep. I checked my phone, and I received a text message.

---

5:45 PM - My Jun Ho

I'm infront of the apartment. I'll bring you home.

---

I immediately got up and scrambled over the small coffee table to gather my things. Ha Ni and Seung Yeon turned around, surprised I was already awake.

"You had a long day, I thought you'd sleep more." Ha Ni uttered with concern.

"No time!! Jun Ho's downstairs, he's waiting."

"Oh!" They uttered and simultaneously took their aprons off before hugging me one-by-one.

"We'll see you soon sometime. Let's go grab coffee, during our break time sometime this week, okay?" Seung Yeon said as Hani nodded. I smiled and nodded as I swept my stuff inside my bag, ready to go outside.

"You guys focus on your studies, okay? College is pretty hard, you know."

"Girl you said it! I wish I can just take a break like you. You've been travelling ever since you graduated Neul Paran. With those grades, you can even enter Harvard, you know! The school's pretty famous internationally too." Seung Yeon chided.

"I only adjusted. I needed to." I replied. "Plus, I told myself I wont enter college unless I really know what I want to take. I owe it to my brother. If he wasn't ready to take on the family business, I would have been forced to take up any business course. He bought me time." I added.

"Alright, go get your loverboy. He's waiting." Ha Ni teased as she pushed me towards the door. I happily bid them goodbye. My two best friends... I don't know what I'd do without them. It's a good thing they moved to Seoul for their college.

As I walked towards the door, I passed by the window and caught a glimpse of a black Mercedes Benz car waiting outside. I stopped to gaze upon the guy patiently waiting outside, leaning on the side of the car.

Those pair of smiley eyes. His cute smile. His fair complexion. I've memorized his face already.

I was startled when he suddenly looked towards my direction. Seeing that he noticed I was staring at him, he smiled and waved. I waved back.

Lee Jun Ho, my fiance.