-24-

The Doctors Daughter
The rain started to slow down and the battles around them had come to a full stop. Jinhee looked to the sky, feeling the weight of Jongin's arms around her and wondered if she had died and gone to heaven. He started to move from around her and she groaned at the disruption of her one moment of peace for months.
 
"Sorry, but it sounds like the battle is done. I have to make sure everyone is alright." Jongin kissed the top of her head and stood up with a painful moan. Even though he was in pain, he still made sure to reach out his hand to help her stand up. The two of them stood and headed towards the main entrance but with two steps, Jongin's knee gave out and he stumbled. Jinhee grabbed him and put half of his weight onto her and together they made their way out. Bodies were laid everywhere, many rebels and many soldiers had lost their lives that day and Jinhee felt a deep ache in her heart for them but with their sacrifice came freedom for the rest of the Kingdom.
 
"Your highness!" A voice called out and Chen came running out of the throne room, wounded and covered in a large amount of blood, most likely not all of it was his. Once Chen reached Jongin and Jinhee he went down on one knee. The remaining soldiers that were standing around also went on their knee. "You are the victor, my King." Chen looked up at his old friend with a smirk. Jinhee looked to Jongin who couldn't help but smile. He looked around at all of the men bowing down to him and felt a sense of pride over himself. "The only problem is.." Chen stood up and fixed his clothes to try and look presentable in front of his new King and Queen. "...We can't find that little worm that was formally known as your brother."
 
"I know where he is." Jinhee said and the two man looked at her. She lead them to the hallway behind the throne room and pointed out the room that Kyungsoo tried to drag her into. Jongin forced himself to stand by himself and brought his sword out. Chen threw the door open and Kyungsoo squeal when he had been found out and the look of panic in his face when he saw his brother, was unmistakable.
 
"W-Wait! I-I know what you're thinking and...and...I...uh...it wasn't my idea!" Kyungsoo begging for forgiveness but Chen grabbed onto him by the collar of his clothes and dragged him out of the room. They brought him out onto the main steps where soldiers and now the nearby villagers were gathering.
 
"SILENCE, you're King is about to speak." Chen called out as he held Kyungsoo down on his hands and knees. Everyone looked to Jongin who looked exhausted but puffed up with his chest as he knew there was never going to be a moments rest again. Jinhee comfortingly rubbed his back and Jongin collected his thoughts before speaking to the crowd.
 
"I am proud to announce that the rebellion is now over." Cheers erupted from the crowd and strangers turned to each other and embraced. "The recovery from this war will be difficult and long but I know that we can pull through. And as for this traitor..." Jongin looked to his brother who he had looked up to for so many years and now felt nothing but pity for the trembling man. The crowd started cheering for his public death but Jongin raised his hand and they grew silent. Jinhee's heart was beating hard as she watched her husband control a whole crowd of people with nothing more than a wave of his hand. It was inspiring and filled her with pride. "..He will be banished to the North country with no name and no title. No one shall help him. No one shall pity him. From now until his death, he is nothing." Jongin saw Kyungsoo lower his head in shame and Jongin felt nothing anymore for the man that would slaughter his own family and innocent people just for a moment of power.
 
Chen kicked him down the stairs into the waiting crowd. They pulled and ripped at his clothes, stomping him as he tried to crawl away. By the time he had broken free of them he was only in his undergarments, running for his life out of the palace walls. The crowd was cheering once more and Jongin felt he had made their right choice. He didn't want anyone else in his family to die, but the man he had once known turned into a monster that deserved to be punished. The next few days were rough for the country as they tried to piece themselves together after the war.
 
Jinhee had made a special request to her husband to visit a small village outside of the palace and although he was hesitant about it, Jongin allowed it but only if she was taken by Chen and a few other soldiers for protection. She led them out to a shack in the middle of the forest and knocked three times on the door. It slowly slid open and a small face was peaking from behind it. They looked Jinhee up and down but didn't recognize her which was understandable since she had the queens robes on and was dripping in jewels.
 
"Is Seohyun in there? May I speak with her?" Jinhee asked and the small face disappeared but was replaced quickly after by Seohyun who looked like she hadn't slept since Jinhee left.
 
"My Queen." Seohyun quickly dropped to her knees and bowed but Jinhee just laughed and asked her to stand.
 
"Do I look that different? If I had know that I would have worn those old clothes from before." Jinhee joked and it took Seohyun a minute but her eyes lit up when she found out who it was. The young girl threw her arms around Jinhee which made the soldiers jump but she shooed them back. Jinhee opened the door and all the other kids came running out, gathering around her as they cried and tried grabbing her. Jinhee put Chorong on her hip and hug her nephews tightly as they cried against her.
 
She ordered the soldiers to guide the children back to the palace while she carried Chorong, held Taekwoon's one hand while Hakyeon held the other. They walked all the way back to palace where Jongin was waiting for them. He smiled brightly when he saw what his wife had done. His nephews and niece bowed to him and he smiled and nodded at them. Chen happily agreed to take the children to get new clothes and food in their stomachs. Jinhee walked up to Jongin's side and brushed a bit of dirt off of his King's robes.
 
"I hope you don't mind but I figured we could give them a home since they lost their families in the war, just like we did." Jinhee watched as Jongin thought about it and scowled. She was worried for a moment until he jokingly nudged her and put a huge smile on his face.
 
"How can I say no to you or the children, my Queen." He winked at her and the two of them walked towards the throne room where the royal guards greeted them and a few villagers were waiting for a royal order from the King. Jongin looked to Jinhee who gave him a reassuring smile and he puffed up his chest and walked to his throne. Jinhee stood in front of her seat, waiting for Jongin who took a deep breath and sat in his fathers former throne, ruling over his kingdom.

-------------------------------------------

only one chapter left y'all