-2-

The Doctors Daughter

">http://

In the almost ten years that she had lived in the palace, Jinhee had never had a plesant experience with any of the royals. The King only talked to his own courtmen and her father and she had only seen him twice while there but they were at such a far distance that she wouldn't be able to pick him from another man. The Kings children on the other hand were always out and about in the palace grounds as they seemed to be just as restless as she was. He had six children in total, the first two were from his wife and the others were from his concubines.

His eldest child was a daughter name HeiRyung and she was the most beautiful woman she had ever seen. She was older than Jinhee so when she moved onto the palace grounds she was in the process of being married off to a lord on the southern part of the country where she still lived. HeiRyung had a petite frame that made every gown look like a flowing piece of art hanging off of her body. Her eyes were large and bright, sparkling especially bright whenever she smiled and her lips were pillowy and red, many poets wrote about her beauty and compaired her to the fairest hibiscus as she radiated beauty and loyalty to her country and family. HeiRyung was cherished greatly by her father and he was heartbroken when she was married and moved away so he couldn't see her everyday which is why many think he had grown bitter in his old age.

His second child is the crown prince Suho and he is next in line for the throne. He was constantly busy with his lessons so Jinhee had only seen him once and he was the first man she had ever had a crush on as a child. She was hiding from her mother by the edge of the wall of the palace grounds and thought about sneaking out and running away from that awful place. Jinhee climbed along a tree against the wall and sat in the branches, looking over the edge of the wall and trying to figure out if she could jump down to the other side without getting hurt. As she pondered her possible future, a gentle voice sung out into the spring air.

She looked over and saw prince Suho riding a black stallion while adorn in a brilliant red hanbok that stood out against his white skin. His voice was comforting and reassuring in his confidence that Jinhee became lost in it. As he approached the tree she was hiding in, he locked eyes with her in a way that made her breath catch in . He gave a small wink as if to tell her that he knew what she was planning and ultimetly what the outcome out be. He strode on, singing his beautiful song which Jinhee still hummed to this day. Besides that one encounter, Jinhee hadn't seen him since. Every time she came close she just saw the back of his head or the whisps of his gowns disappering around the corner. Just last year the crown prince had gotten married to a noblewoman named Kyungsoon but over the winter the crown princess had fallen ill and her father tried his hardest to bring her back to health but the princess couldn't recover.

Now the princess was forced to live inside and was constantly coughing and would break out into fevers at the slightest of changes in tempurature. Since Jinhee's father passed, her mother was now the personal doctor to the princess and spent everyday trying to make her as comfortable as possible. Many of the servants around the palace said that the prince should take a concubine to produce an heir before it became too late but the prince was so in love with his wife he vowed to never leave her side.

The second son to the King was named Kyungsoo and was an extremely reserved man who always had his nose stuck in a book. Jinhee figured that if he hadn't been born a prince he would have been a scholar for his love of education and knowledge was unparalel to anyone else. Jinhee was jealous of his ability to study as she always became bored half way through and would fall asleep ontop of her books. Many days prince Kyunsoo could he see walking the palace court with a book in his hands and this was only because the doctors were worried he wasn't getting enough sunlight so he would walk around for a few hours a day and then lock himself into the library with his professors.

The third son, Baekhyun, was Jinhee's personal least favourite. He was always laughing loudly and yelling crude jokes to his other brothers or the guards that had grown up with him. Whenever Baehyun would see Jinhee with her mother he would always joke that their roles should be reversed because Jinhee looked much older compaired to her mother. But, since he was a prince she would force a laugh and tell him that he was extremly funny and apprciated his jokes then he would happily wander away not knowing how irritated he made her.

The fourth son, Jongin, had a terrible reputation around the lady as the craziest womanizer in the land. There was even a rumour that a single look would cause a woman to become crazy and fall in love with him in an instant, Jinhee would just roll her eyes at that as she had lived with him for many years and never once fallen in love with him. Yes, he was handsame and charming but he was also the cruelest of the brothers and spent most of his days charging around with the guards and training to be a great military leader. While Kyungsoo had a book in his hands, Jongin always had a weapon of some sort, most likely a bow or his favourite sword that his father had made for him personally.

The youngest of the Kings children was prince Sehun, he and Jinhee shared a birthday which she hated because she never got to have her own celebration and instead had to go and celebrate the princes in which she was always helping the servants bring food or tidy up clothing for the dancers. Since he was a child Sehun had never smiled in public and if he almost broke his cold exterior, he grew mad and would storm away in a frenzy. Jinhee saw him smile once when he was talking with one of the servant girls. She was new to the palace and she tripped on her skirt and tumbled to the ground in an awkward flapping on her arms. Jinhee chuckled and was about to go over and help her but prince Sehun rushed over and took her hand, helping her to her feet. He then bent over and brushed the dirt off of her skirt which the girl refused as it was a great problem for a prince to be getting his hands dirt for a common servant girl. Sehun made a comment which made the girl smile in which he smiled in return and although the boy was emotional and selfish, he did have a beautiful smile that granted it being a rare gift.

"Daughter." Jinhee's mother said and she snapped out of her thoughts and focused back on her mother that was staring at her with a slight wetness to her eyes.
 
"Mother? What's wrong?" She reached across the table and took her mothers hands in her own and noticed how they were shaking. "Are you ill? Lets get you to bed so you can rest." Jinhee went to stand but her mother tightly held her hands and refused to break eye contact with her.
 
"Listen to me Jinhee, you're turning eighteen in two weeks. You don't know it yet but as soon as you become an adult you have many hard choices to make in your life. You must think hard before every option in front of you, but also remember that you only live once so if it is something that will upset you, never do it. Do you understand what I am trying to tell you?" Her mothers voice was becoming broken and shakey as she continued talking and her eyes welled with tears.
 
"Yes mother, I understand." Jinhee truely had no idea what was causing her mother such a great distress but she didn't like it. Her mother sighed heavily and let go of her hands.
 
"You don't, not yet." Her mother muttered under her breath and then stood up and the two of them walked away from their half eaten lunch, both of them had a lot on their mind.