-13-

The Doctors Daughter
After three weeks, the King had sent notice to Jongin that he was needed back at the palace for military matters and that meant that their honeymoon was cut a week short. Over that time she had grown very fond of Heiryung and the two of them were inseparable except for the few moments when Jongin demanded her attention like a stubborn child. When it was finally time for them to part, the beautiful princess that Jinhee had looked up to for so many years, shed a tear for her new sister that she wouldn't see for a long time.
 
They loaded up their carriage and the newly wed couple was back on their way to the main palace. It was surprising how on the way there they felt like two complete strangers who were forced into a box together and now they were close friends that had inside jokes with each other and laughed. When they told Jongin that they were close he had to focus on the letters he received about the growing trouble in the North. Jinhee asked him about it but he didn't want to talk about it because it was nothing that she could concern herself with and that he would take care of it all. Once they arrived back at the palace they were greeted by a huge group of servants who descended upon them like the plague. They weren't used to all of these people from their visit at Heiryung's home which had a much lower number of staff. Jinhee looked out as the two were escorted up the main stairs and she saw her mother with Suho's wife, clinging onto her for support. Even in just a few weeks the woman looked much more frail than before which was extremely worrying.
 
"Hey sis." A voice called out and Baekhyun walked up to Jinhee's side, giving his brother a cautious head nod. "How was the vacation?"
 
"Fine, thank you for asking." Jinhee hadn't had a lot of contact with the princes so she was still getting used to it.
 
"Have you had a proper tour of the palace? I know you got swept away right after the wedding and was wondering if you've seen everything." Baekhyun had a mischievous smile on his face and when he saw Jongin glaring at his he instantly forced it away.
 
"I haven't, not yet." Jinhee looked to Jongin who didn't look too happy but he nodded in approval. Baekhyun was shocked but didn't miss his chance. He grabbed his sister-in-laws wrist and happily dragged her off and Jongin wanted to call out after them but he figured that Jinhee had to learn that lesson for herself. Once they were around the corner and away from his sour-puss older brother, Baekhyun let go of her wrist and they casually walked around the palace.
 
"That was where Suho chased me as a kid and I fell and hurt my knee."
 
"This was my childhood bedroom."
 
"I learned to fight here."
 
Baekhyun pointed every spot out in the palace and related it to a memory of his with little to no mention of his brothers except for Suho who he said was the best sibling. "Don't tell Sehun that, he'll get jealous." Baekhyun chuckled and skipped around, glad that he had a new play mate.
 
"What was Jongin like as a child?" Jinhee's question caught the prince off guard and he hummed in response.
 
"I don't think he was ever a kid, I think he was born a depressing adult." Baekhyun scowled and then refused to answer anymore questions about Jongin. "Kyungsoo pushed my into the stream when I was bugging him the other week...good memories." He sighed merrily and looked off into the distance. It was odd how everyone else seemed to dread this place but Baekhyun loved every square inch of the palace grounds and the power he was given with none of the responsibility of Suho of Jongin.
 
"Did you know there is going to be a party tonight to celebrate your return?" He pointed out how the servants were scurrying around carrying large trays and pots everywhere and Jinhee was ashamed to admit that she hadn't noticed the hard work they were putting in. Baekhyun snapped his fingers and waved two young servant women over. "The princess needs to get ready for the party." Without another work Jinhee was swept away and they spent a few hours doing her hair up in lavish braids and hanging gold ornaments from them and her gown was large and unmanageable which had Jinhee begging for another but they insisted that it was appropriate for the party. As the sun was setting, Jinhee was escorted out of her room and brought out to the back courtyard where they had musicians and dancers performing.
 
The drums were so loud it felt like it was vibrating through her chest and brain and was making her a bit flustered as she looked around for a familiar face. There were many well dressed elderly people that were bowing to her and congratulating her on her marriage and she politely thanked them all while hiding her panic that there was no one there. She felt a hand rest on her lower back and she looked over and saw Jongin standing there with his usual cold expression. Once he was near by, suddenly no one wanted to talk to her about the wedding and what it must be like to be part of the royal family now. It was then that she realized that he did it to put a shield around himself as all of this worthless chatter was meant for nothing more than kissing up to them.
 
"Thank you." Jinhee muttered as Jongin guided them to their table.
 
"Anytime, you have to be more assertive. All of these people will have no problem using you for their own gain." Jongin sounded stern but Jinhee knew now that he was just trying to look out for her.
 
"Of course your majesty." She said sarcastically back as Jongin realized that they used each other to get him closer to the throne. He snorted back a laugh and pressed his lips tight together to hide his smile, Jongin hated how easily she broke through his barrier.
 
"Brother," A voice called out and Suho walked up to the adorn in the most majestic red and gold robes that Jinhee had ever seen. She could easily see him as a king if he dressed like that every day, "I need you to come with me." Suho looked serious and apologized to Jinhee having to steal her husband for a moment. The two men went off and Jinhee was left alone once again. The sun had set and after another hour or two of the same people making the same comments over and over again and expecting an excited response from Jinhee, she decided she was tired and left the back courtyard and walked around the palace grounds. All of the staff and the royal family were at the party so she was able to talk around the grounds she grew up in peace and quiet. She slipped passed the guards so she didn't have any following her around.
 
"J-Jinhee?" A slurred voice called out and Jinhee spun around to see Chanyeol, unshaven with an open bottle of alcohol in his hand. As he approached her she could smell the booze radiating off of his body and it made her a bit sick. She had never seen her friend drink a sip of alcohol before so it was stunning to see him so drunk. "My Jinhee." He muttered before slumping himself against her in an odd attempt at a hug. Jinhee quickly pushed him off and smelled her robes, Jongin was going to be furious if she smelled like another man.
 
"Chanyeol, what's wrong with you? I'm a princess now, you can't treat me like that." Jinhee kept taking small steps away from him but Chanyeol kept foolishly stumbling towards her.
 
"You were my Jinhee before he took you." Chanyeol reached out for her again but Jinhee smacked his hand away which caused the man to scowl. "We were supposed to get married...you dad wanted us to get married....my Jinhee...my bride..." Chanyeol reached into his pocket and pulled out a crumpled piece of paper that he violently threw at Jinhee and she clumsily caught it as it bounced off her chest. She opened it and saw her fathers hand writing which instantly brought tears to her eyes. Jinhee scanned over the letter that was dated almost three years ago.
 
Dear Chanyeol,
I know you are growing anxious out in the field but learning the concerns of the common man makes you a better doctor. I wish for you to be even better than myself and take over my position so that I can give you my blessing to marry my sweet Jinhee. She is a stubborn child who dreams of a bigger life and I know that you could give that to her. There is only one thing that must happy before that, and that is for you to master medicine and come back a better man than myself for no man will truly be good enough for my daughter, except for maybe the future king himself.
Best regards,
The Kings Doctor
Jeon Beomsoo
 
Jinee looked at Chanyeol with tear filled eyes and threw the letter onto the ground. Her childhood friend looked confused and picked up the paper and lovingly put it back in his pocket. "See..you were mine...before him..." Chanyeol slurred out as he grabbed at her again but Jinhee stopped him.
 
"You kept that from me, for all that time." Jinhee looked at Chanyeol but barely recognized him anymore. The man she grew up with would never keep secret like that and especially one that important. To think that she was supposed to marry Chanyeol instead of Jongin made her stomach go into knots.
 
"You're mine." Chanyeol grabbed onto Jinhee's shoulders so she couldn't run away anymore and her eyes grew wide. "My pure Jinhee....I know you wouldn't let him put a finger one you....you're mine...only mine..." Jinhee struggled to get away and the bottle fell to the ground and shattered into a million pieces
 
"Let go of me! Right now, that's an order!" Jinhee screamed but Chanyeol had become deaf to her requests. He slightly closed his eyes and leaned in with his lips out, as if to kiss her. "CHANYEOL STOP!" Jinhee took a large step back, tripping on the hem of her large gown and the two of them stumbled back into a rose bush. Jinhee was crying and struggling to get away from Chanyeol and out of the bush where the thorns were stuck in her hair and gown as well as cutting deep gashes into her skin. Chanyeol laid on top of her, his hands roaming all over her body as if the thorns didn't bother him. Jinhee looked straight up and saw the stars above her and wondered if this was how she was going to die, in the arms of her best friend.
 
"JONGIN!" Jinhee screamed out which she knew was extremely informal but she just wanted her husband to save her. Chanyeol grew annoyed and clamped his hand over , squeezing it so tightly she thought he might dislocate her jaw.