First Date

Of Robbing Banks and Stealing Hearts

“So,” Nayeon took a sip from her glass of wine. “What’s your story, Minatozaki Sana? I can tell you’re not from around here, so how did you end up robbing one of the biggest banks in Korea?”

Fun fact: Nayeon was not a fan of wine. She preferred cocktails, but in the spur of the moment she’d told Sana that they’d end up drinking wine, and now it was too late to go back on her word. She choked down another sip, managing not to grimace. At least wine fit the rich conwoman aesthetic she currently had going on.

Sitting on the armchair opposite her, wrapped in a fluffy hotel bathrobe, Sana paused from counting her bundles of cash to grin at Nayeon.

“Well I came to Seoul from Japan for a holiday, but one thing led to another and here we are.”

“Mm hmm.” Nayeon put her wine glass down and raised an eyebrow. “You know, I haven’t asked for a cut of your stash yet. Anyone normal would be suspicious about my intentions, yet you felt comfortable enough taking a shower with me in the next room?”

“I was kind of hoping you’d join me, but hey.” Sana winked, and darn it Nayeon’s heart fluttered a little. “It definitely proved to me that you weren’t a creep.”

Sana ran a hand through her long brown hair, scooping it up into a ponytail. Droplets of water were still slowly trickling down her neck, and Nayeon took a moment to enjoy the view before getting back to business.

“You still don’t know why I’m here though.”

“Sure I do.” Sana twirled her wet hair into a bun. “You want to hang out and get to know me, right?”

“That…” Nayeon paused. “Yeah actually, I think that’s exactly why I’m here.”

“Great!” Sana beamed. “I actually came to Korea looking for a partner like you, but I didn’t think I’d run into her on my first day!”

“Alright, now I’m really curious.” Nayeon leant forward. “You can’t say stuff like that and not expect me to ask what you’re doing here. Why did you come to Korea?”

“You want my life story?” Sana gave yet another flirtatious grin, and Nayeon was glad the alcohol hid how red her cheeks were. “I’ll give you mine if you give me yours.”

“You’re relentless, aren’t you?”

“Trust me, I could be a lot worse. After all partner…” Sana deliberately and slowly pulled down the collar of her robe, and Nayeon’s eyes were automatically drawn to the thumb tracing over the top of Sana’s chest. “You did say you wanted to get to know me.”

Nayeon gulped. From the beginning she’d sort of been winging this whole thing, but Sana was… a lot. Nayeon felt like she was playing a game of chicken, where both of them kept upping the flirting, and neither of them was willing to laugh it off.

“We can definitely do that.” She winced at how squeaky her voice sounded. “But I don’t sleep with strangers, so let’s chat first.”

“Sure.” Sana stretched out on the chair, her robe thankfully back in it’s rightful place. “You want my supervillain origin story, right? It’s kind of terrible though.”

“Can’t be any worse than mine.”

“You sure?” Sana sighed. “Because the truth is, up until today I wasn’t a bad guy. I was a superhero actually, one of Japan’s finest three.”

“So what happened?”

“My two best friends started dating.”

That… wasn’t what Nayeon had expected. Sana didn’t seem like the type who would let that bother her, but she’d only known the girl a few hours so hey, she probably had layers.

Sana smiled at her expression, and for the first time she seemed a bit sad.

“It was fine at first. We were still the Trinity, travelling around the country saving whoever needed help. But they just kept getting closer, and I started to feel more and more like a third wheel. With Mina it was ok, because she was pretty introverted to begin with, and I hadn’t known her for too long. But Momo’s been my best friend since we were kids, so for her to start pulling away just because she had a girlfriend… it hurt. On top of that, I started to really hate my power. It was the least useful for fighting villains compared to super speed and hypnotism. Also, the irony of the invisible girl feeling like her friends were ignoring her? Not lost on me. I was in pretty bad state for a month or so, and two days ago I snapped and decided that I needed a vacation.”

For some reason, images of Jihyo and Jeongyeon started flashing through Nayeon’s mind. The situation wasn’t exactly the same, neither of her best friends had superpowers, and Nayeon hadn’t exactly felt neglected when they got together. Their dynamic had shifted a bit though, so she could relate somewhat to Sana’s sadness.

“So, there I was in the Incheon airport, wondering about whether I should get a taxi or a bus, and I saw this really nice pair of sunglasses. I went in to buy it, but I couldn’t afford it. Then I realised that I could, technically, just take them. The only thing stopping me was the fact that I was a ‘good guy’, and I suddenly decided that I was sick of being a sweet, selfless hero. So I took the glasses, and then one thing led to another and now here we are.”

“Bit of a leap there, from shoplifting a pair of sunglasses to robbing a bank.”

“I may have gone a little wild once I realised what I could do when I wasn’t following the law.” Sana smiled sheepishly. “I got really giddy about using my powers for something other than trying to sneak up on bad guys and then getting hit in the face. Plus, the police were so incompetent it started to get funny, and the hero they sent after me was really cute.”

“Hey, I’m not judging.” Nayeon chuckled. “Like I said, my own origin story isn’t that great.”

“Are you being nice because you feel sorry for me? Because if your story is actually cool then-”

“Someone told me I laughed like a supervillain and I got inspired.”

Sana stared at her. Nayeon reached for the wine.

“There’s more too it than that, obviously.” She took a huge gulp, not bothering to hide her grimace. “But that’s partly where it started.”

“I’m listening.” Sana had that sharp glint in her eyes again, and the room was starting to grow a little more serious.

“Like you, I have two really close friends, Jihyo and Jeongyeon. They started dating, but that’s not what set me down this path. The superhero that was chasing you all day? Her name is Tzuyu, and I’ve known her since we were kids. We were all at a summer camp together, and at the end of the camp there was a prize for whoever was ‘Queen of the castle’. At the end of every day someone could challenge the current queen, and the duel could be anything from singing and dancing to playing hopscotch. Sometimes there was a clear winner and other times the counsellors would decide who earned the throne. Jihyo had kept the title of queen for a whole week, but on the very last night of camp Tzuyu challenged her to a game of rock paper scissors. She won, Jihyo was really upset, and everyone went home sad except for Tzuyu. Jihyo forgave her after a month, but I still remember her pain. So, when Tzuyu became an official superhero, I decided to become her main enemy.”

Sana was looking at her with big wide eyes. Nayeon felt like she’d probably made the whole thing sound a little too dramatic.

“I should probably mention that Tzuyu was twelve and the prize for being queen was a plastic gold crown that you could buy at the dollar store.”

“It was still mean.”

“I agree, but most people seem to think that holding a grudge this long is silly.”

“Well I’m not most people.” The way Sana parted her lips made Nayeon’s mind go to very strange places. “And I know that there’s more to it than that, right?”

Despite her flirting and breezy attitude, there was an undercurrent of perceptiveness to Sana that warned Nayeon not to underestimate her. They were partners now, but if this didn’t end well Sana was not the kind of person she’d want as an enemy.

Hot and smart. Nayeon had really hit the jackpot, hadn’t she?

“It is more complicated than just a grudge.” Nayeon admitted. “Were you born with your powers, Sana?”

“Yep!” Sana was back to smiling cutely. “Runs in the family actually. My dad won ‘Japan’s Clumsiest Hero’ title three years in a row. The first time I won it he cried with happiness.”

Nayeon was tempted to ask for more about that, but her phone blasting IU’s newest song distracted her. She held a finger up to Sana, putting her phone on speaker with barely contained glee.

“How’s the most beautiful woman in the world doing today?”

“Nayeon.” She winced at the tone of Jihyo’s voice. “Tzuyu rang.”

“Ugh.” Nayeon rolled her eyes. “I gave her girlfriend back without a fight, she didn’t need to rat me out.”

“You kidnapped Chaeyoung again?”

“She didn’t tell you?” Nayeon frowned.

“No, but we will be talking about that later. I called because the police caught you on tape inside a bank while it was being robbed.”

“Did they now?” She winked at Sana, who was barely containing her giggles. “What a strange coincidence.”

“Nayeon.” Jihyo sighed. “Why did you do it?”

“Well, you’re always telling me that I need a hobby other than bothering Tzuyu, so I made a friend.”

“A friend.” Jihyo sounded rightfully suspicious, but Sana’s pout was so adorable Nayeon felt bad for her. “What kind of friend?”

“A friend who can turn invisible and rob banks and possibly wants to bang me. It’s great, I’m having the time of my life.”

“Oh, she definitely wants to bang you.” Apparently, Sana could only resist flirting for so long. “And if you think you’re having the time of your life now, then you’re in for a treat later.”

“Nayeon, is that her?” Nayeon struggled to answer, because the wolfish grin on Sana’s face was quite the distraction. “Is that the bank robber? What are you two doing now?”

“Relax.” Nayeon answered at last. “We’ll stay out of trouble tonight.”

“Nayeon-”

“We’re still on for dinner tomorrow, right? I’ll bring her over, introduce her to you and Jeongyeon. Trust me, you’ll love her. She’s very charming.”

“Sweet talker.” Sana whispered.

“Got to go Jihyo. Love you, say hi to the wife for me.”

“Are you really-”

Nayeon hung up.

“Introducing me to your friends already?” Sana gave a mock gasp. “You move fast, Im Nayeon.”

“You’re the one who wants to sleep together on a first date.”

“Don’t tell me you aren’t as eager as I am to test out that big double bed.”

“You got me there.” Nayeon smirked. “So, I know your origin story, but there’s still a bit left of mine. Care to hear the rest of it now or later?”

Sana gazed at Nayeon thoughtfully, and then her lips curved up into a slow smirk.

“I can wait. I’ve always been a fan of pillow talk.”

This was the moment of truth, and they could both sense it. Their game of flirting chicken was reaching the end point, and if either of them were going to back down this was the moment. Nayeon knew that sleeping with a criminal she barely knew was not the responsible thing to do, but it would definitely be a story to stun her friends with, and Sana was really, really attractive. Like wow. Nayeon had kind of wanted to get her in bed since the moment they met.

Besides, she’d always done her best to be the exact opposite of responsible.

She stood up, walking over to Sana. Sana stared up at her, half curious half giddy, as Nayeon gently ran her fingers down Sana’s face, cupping her chin. Her thumb hovered over Sana’s lip, questioning.

If Sana’s flirting had been just for fun, if this was all just a joke for her, she could turn away right now. If she didn’t actually like Nayeon that way, she could push Nayeon’s hand off her face and that would be that.

Sana arched upwards, wrapping her arms around Nayeon’s neck and tugging her down so that their lips met. Nayeon smirked into the kiss, dragging her teeth gently across Sana’s bottom lip.

It seemed neither of them had been kidding after all.

She tugged Sana over to the bed, shrieking as they tumbled onto it in a heap. Something fell off the table and landed with a crash on the floor, but as Nayeon tugged Sana’s robe off, she couldn’t find it in her to care. She pushed Sana further up the bed, elbowing the lamp off the bedside desk as she went.

Considering how loud Sana's gasps were becoming, as well the pile of broken furniture, they were definitely going to get noise complaints. But that was a problem for later.

“Oh!” Nayeon cried, as Sana bit gently on her collarbone. “Oh yeah, you are definitely the best partner in crime I’ve ever had.”

“Only in crime?”

“Well that depends.” Nayeon grinned, pushing Sana down towards the pillows. “Exactly how versatile are you?”

Sana’s eyes lit up, and Nayeon knew right there and then that this was going to be a real fun night.