First Family Dinner

Of Robbing Banks and Stealing Hearts

“I can’t believe I’m already meeting your friends. The fun never stops with you, does it?”

“You came to Korea to meet cool people, right?” Nayeon knocked on the door of Jihyo and Jeongyeon’s apartment. “You may have found the best partner already, but there’s still some fun to be had.”

Sometimes when Jihyo answered the door, she did it with a big smile, and Nayeon knew everything was going to be easy. Sometimes, she answered it with a solemn look, and that meant Nayeon was probably in for a lecture. Today, she answered it with a neutral look of mild apprehension, which meant that she didn’t quite like what was happening, but she would reserve judgement until after dinner.

Honestly, it was the best option Nayeon could have hoped for. As usual, she gave Jihyo a huge grin.

“Hello lesbians! I heard we were having chicken today.”

“Nayeon.” Jihyo rolled her eyes. “You’re the only lesbian here.”

“Not anymore!” Nayeon tugged Sana into view, who waved politely at Jihyo. “Meet Sana! She’s just as gay as I am, which means I finally have someone to stare knowingly at when you and Jeongyeon talk boys.”

“Yes, because that happens so often.” Jihyo stepped aside to let them walk in. “Jeong and I are literally married, so I assure you Sana, very little talk about boys happens in this household. Just because I’m bi-”

Jihyo froze as Sana stepped closer. Sana blinked cluelessly at her, and Nayeon frowned at Jihyo’s gaping. Sana was super pretty, but this reaction was over the top even for Jihyo.

“Oh my god. You’re Sana.”

“I just told you her name?” Nayeon was very confused.

“No, I mean you’re the Sana. Of the Trinity. The famous Trio of Japanese superheroes?”

“Aw babe.” Nayeon smiled. “I didn’t realise you were so famous.”

“Well I don’t like to brag,” Sana winked. “but I am pretty popular. I was a little surprised you didn’t recognize me.”

“Don’t be.” Jihyo recovered enough to start walking again, and the three of them moved to the living room. “Nayeon basically lives under a rock. If it’s not related to making Tzuyu’s life harder then she’s not interested.”

“To be honest.” A new voice spoke up. “I’m kind of happy she found you. We were starting to get worried about her intentions.”

“Jeongyeon.” Nayeon glared at her friend. “My intentions for Tzuyu have always been strictly evil.”

“Is that so?” Jeongyeon handed everyone drinks, and Nayeon took a delighted sip of her vodka coke, finally able to enjoy alcohol that wasn’t wine. “What about that time when-”

“Dinner’s almost ready!” Jihyo clapped her hands together brightly. “I hope you guys are hungry, because we cooked a lot!”

“I think we’re both pretty famished.” Nayeon looked at Sana, who nodded.

“We decided to skip lunch.” Sana explained. “Breakfast was just too filling.”

The way Sana said that last part, combined the wink she threw at Nayeon, made Jeongyeon choke on her drink. Nayeon grinned proudly, wrapping her arm around Sana’s shoulders.

“I told you she was charming.”

“I’m only kidding.” Sana giggled. “We really did have a full breakfast; the room service was great.”

Jeongyeon and Jihyo relaxed, foolishly letting their guards down. Nayeon hid her smirk behind her glass, anticipating what would come next.

“Last night on the other hand… well we didn’t have much dinner, but the desert was amazing. Nayeon got so creative with the whipped cream, it really blew my mind.”

Jihyo’s eyes got wider, Jeongyeon coughed out her drink again, and Nayeon burst out laughing. This was shaping up to be one of the best dinners she’d had in a long while.

“So,” Jihyo cleared , tactfully moving past the implications of what Sana had just said. “Would you like to sit down? I’ll bring out the food.”

Sana decided to take pity on them and let Nayeon steer her towards the table without any more innuendos. The three of them sat down while Jihyo went to dish out the plates, and Sana ran her hand along Nayeon’s thigh under the table. Nayeon shivered and caught Jeongyeon’s eye, relishing her friend’s forced smile.

“So Sana,” Jeongyeon said, powering through her uncomfortableness admirably. “Jihyo tells me you two have been bank robbing together. I’m surprised to see you’ve gone from hero to villain. Being friends with Nayeon means we’re not exactly in a position to judge, but I’m curious what drove you to make that change?”

“It was sort of an impulsive thing.” Sana glanced over to Nayeon and smiled. “But so far I don’t regret it. Meeting Nayeon made the decision worth it.”

See the thing is, from anyone else that would have just been a throwaway cheesy line. But Sana made it sound so sincere that Nayeon couldn’t help but duck her head and blush. The logical part of her brain kept pointing out that they’d only known each other for two days, but ignoring her logical side was one of Nayeon’s many talents. Sana was too much fun for Nayeon to start doubting. She’d wait until the whirlwind ended before she considered regretting it.

“Well, I’m glad.” Jeongyeon paused. “I think. I’m still struggling to wrap my mind around the fact that there’s a famous superhero sitting in our dining room. It’s just so…what the heck? You know?”

“She’s almost speechless.” Nayeon marvelled. “Great work babe. Jeongyeon’s much less annoying this way.”

Jeongyeon threw her napkin at Nayeon, just as Jihyo handed everyone their plates. Jihyo glared at Jeongyeon, and Nayeon smugly stuck her tongue out once Jihyo turned away from her.

Nayeon’s heart felt warmer when she noticed Sana watching all of this with an amused expression. As much as they joked around, Nayeon didn’t know what she would have done if Sana had been uncomfortable around her closest friends.

They started eating, and Jihyo looked delighted at the loud sounds of approval everyone made while tucking in. For a minute or two, the conversation become strictly about the food. Nayeon passed dishes left and right as requested, filling up her plate with a little bit of everything.

Then Sana moved closer with a devilish grin, and Nayeon leant in eagerly.

“What tastes better, me or this food?” Sana asked, in a terrible attempt at a whisper.

With the amount of times Jeongyeon was spitting out her drink, Nayeon was slightly worried that they’d actually end up killing her.

“Behave.” Nayeon struggled not to laugh.

“Or what? You’ll spank me?”

This time Nayeon couldn’t hold back a snort of laughter. Jeongyeon’s face was just too red, and Sana was entirely unrepentant.

“How are you all liking the chicken?” Jihyo said loudly. “Jeongyeon suggested I add extra ginger to the sauce! Is everyone finding that alright?”

Everyone agreed that the chicken was lovely, and after a few more laughs they soon moved back towards regular conversation topics. They talked about Jeongyeon’s job at the bakery, Jihyo’s current gig in a musical, and Nayeon’s latest kidnapping attempt.

“Poor Chaeyoung.” Jihyo sighed. “Honestly, it’s a miracle she and Tzuyu are still together. I wouldn’t blame anyone for breaking up with Tzuyu considering the strain you put on her relationships.”

“It’s fine. They’re in love.” Nayeon flicked her hand dismissively, ignoring Jihyo’s disapproving glare. “I think Chaeyoung has just grown to accept me as that wacky older cousin-in-law she can’t escape.”

“Is she cute?”

Of course Sana would ask that. Nayeon watched with a smile as Jeongyeon handed Sana her phone, and Sana oohed and aahed at the photos of Chaeyoung.

“Oh she’s pretty. Why does she have orange hair? Is she an idol?”

“No, she’s just gay and artistic. When I saw her yesterday she’d already dyed it back to black.”

“Really?” Jihyo looked curious. “What made her change it again?”

“I don’t know.” Nayeon shrugged. “Tzuyu rudely interrupted us before we could have a proper conversation.”

Jeongyeon and Jihyo shot her matching deadpan stares. Sana laughed, and it sounded like music to Nayeon’s ears. Like a windchime or something.

Look, poetry wasn’t Nayeon’s thing, but it was a really pretty laugh, ok? Chaeyoung would probably know just what kind of flowery language Nayeon was searching for to describe it. Maybe Nayeon would get Chaeyoung to write something about Sana next time she kidnapped the kid.

Oh God, Nayeon was really starting to catch feelings, wasn’t she?


Jeongyeon found her staring in the bathroom mirror after dinner. She nudged Nayeon to the side so she could wash her hands, and Nayeon scooted over without complaint.

“I can’t tell if Sana’s flirting with Jihyo right now or just giving her compliments to be nice.” Jeongyeon said. “She told us that last night she was curious, but now she agrees with you about Jihyo being the most beautiful woman in the world. Should I feel threatened?”

“Do you feel threatened?”

“Nah. I’m pretty secure in my marriage. I’m still just amazed you actually found someone who can tolerate you.”

“I think I’m in love.”

Jeongyeon laughed, turning off the tap and drying her hands. Then she looked up, and she stopped laughing once she realised Nayeon wasn’t even smiling.

“Wait, are you serious?”

“Maybe? I don’t know!” Nayeon sighed. “It’s just… I woke up before her this morning, right? And she looked so hot with her hair all messy. But then one minute later she woke up, and she let out this adorable giggle. She went from hot to cute in a second Jeongyeon, in a second! I’m still shaken.”

“So what you’re saying is, you’re shooketh?”

“Stop quoting vines at me for once in your life! This is serious!”

“I know, I just-” Jeongyeon froze. “Wait, you woke up together? Nayeon, did you actually sleep with her?”

“What?” Nayeon frowned. “Of course I did. We’ve been joking about that all afternoon.”

“I didn’t realise you were serious!” Nayeon was taken aback by Jeongyeon’s panic. “Nayeon, you’ve known this girl for two days! She’s a world famous superhero! What the heck were you thinking?”

“Really?” Nayeon gaped. “I’m a freaking supervillain who regularly commits crime, but this is where you draw the line?”

“What? No! I didn’t mean it like that.” Jeongyeon sighed. “It’s just… I don’t want you to get hurt. You and Sana are moving a lot faster than your usual pace, and you just told me you’re in love, so yeah, I’m a little worried about you right now.”

“I told you that I think I’m in love. There’s a big difference.”

“Sure.” Jeongyeon rolled her eyes, but the tension in the room had cleared. “At least her moral code seems to be as thin and wishy washy as yours.”

“I’m probably just giddy.” Nayeon decided. “This is the first relationship I’ve had in a while, so I’m enjoying every moment.”

“Fair enough. Maybe you just need to break out of the honeymoon phase, and then you’ll figure out how you really feel.” Nayeon did not like the look of Jeongyeon’s smirk. “You know, I think I still have that video of you singing I’m Gonna Be A Star lying around somewhere. If she’s still into you after watching that, then you know you’ve got a keeper.”

“Why do you hate me?” Nayeon asked her. “Do you get personal joy out of my status as the single friend, is that it? Can you just not stand to see me move on from being your third wheel?”

Jeongyeon laughed, and this time Nayeon grinned back. They made their way out to the living room, where Jihyo was telling Sana a story Nayeon really wished they would all forget.

“So I ran up to her and started whacking her with this plastic hammer, and Nayeon just stands there in the middle of the cafeteria yelling ‘You can’t hit me! You’re just a freshman!’ So I yelled back ‘Oh yeah? Watch me!’ and kept hitting her. And that was the last time Nayeon ever tried to take my garlic bread.”

Sana laughed, and Nayeon smiled despite her embarrassment. Something about Sana’s happiness was just too contagious for Nayeon to properly sulk at Jihyo’s betrayal.

“That’s a fairly accurate way to describe our high school years.” Jeongyeon chimed in. “Nayeon and Jihyo fighting like cats and dogs, while I watched from the side lines, stuck in the middle.”

“Stuck in the middle?” Nayeon scoffed. “Please, you were just as scrappy as the two of us, and when you weren’t involved you always sided with Jihyo in the end.”

“Well yes. That’s because I was smart, and you were usually in the wrong.”

“Wow.” Nayeon put her hand to her chest in mock hurt. “After all we’ve been through together, you turn on me like this? Don’t forget I had you first!”

“Oh?” Sana seemed thoroughly engrossed in the banter between them. “You two dated?”

“Yes.”

“No.”

“She proposed to me then broke it off after two weeks.”

“We were ten and all I did was offer to share my Haribos with you.” Jeongyeon protested. “You took a jelly ring then told everyone we were engaged, and I was too embarrassed to deny it. I only snapped after two weeks when you started handing out wedding invitations.”

“Huh.” Nayeon frowned thoughtfully. “You and I remember our childhood very differently.”

Jihyo’s phone pinged, thankfully distracting everyone before Jeongyeon snapped again. She took it out and read the text, then looked up at Nayeon with wide eyes.

“It’s Dahyun, she says to check the news. Apparently you're a big story.”

“Kim Dahyun? Tzuyu’s friend? Why does she care about me?”

“She knows we’re close, even if she doesn’t understand why. Switch the TV on, will you?”

Nayeon hit the power button, right in time for the evening news to pop up. The announcer took up most of the screen, but a blurry photo of Nayeon and Sana taken outside the bank was displayed in the top right corner.

“And now, in today’s top story. Authorities have finally identified the mysterious accomplice aiding known supervillain Im Nayeon in her latest crime spree. The suspect, who has been identified as the Japanese superhero Sana, was caught on tape using her powers alongside Im Nayeon to assist in the robbery of the Bank of Korea. Police are now linking her to multiple other ‘invisible thefts’ that have occurred since she arrived in Seoul. Her motivations are currently unknown, but while the investigation is ongoing, police have already issued a warrant for her arrest. If you see either of these women, please contact your local law enforcement immediately.”

The picture on the screen changed, showing an oddly cheerful family outside a burning building.

“In happier news, what could have been a horrible tragedy turned into a miracle as the Hulk rescued every adult, child, and pet from an apartment building that caught fire in Gangnam district. Here’s the heart-warming footage, recorded live at the scene.”

Nayeon switched the television off before Tzuyu’s face could be shown. Jihyo and Jeongyeon wore their usual ‘Nayeon made the news’ disappointed faces, but Sana was just staring blankly at the black screen. Nayeon went over to her and sat down, rubbing her hand up and down Sana’s bare arm.

“This is your first arrest warrant, isn’t it? How do you feel?”

“I’m not sure.” Sana mumbled. “It’s kind of scary, like it’s the point of no return. I can’t just go back to being a hero if I wanted to anymore. But at the same time… it’s kind of cool?”

Nayeon grinned, ignoring Jihyo and Jeongyeon’s synchronised sighs of despair. Nayeon could tell that they’d been hoping Sana would be something of a good influence on her. Fools, part of the reason Nayeon liked Sana so much was that she was such a wonderfully bad influence.

“It’s very cool.” Nayeon agreed. “Grand larceny is a much better arrest warrant then my first one.”

“I remember that! You got arrested for reckless driving, right?” Jihyo shook her head and laughed. “You weren’t even drunk at the time, you were just a terrible driver.”

“That moron in the huge jeep was the one hogging the whole road, but apparently it’s my fault that he forced me to swerve in and out of three lanes and break the speed limit just to get past him!”

Sana laughed, but it was slightly less genuine then her usual bright giggle. Nayeon rubbed Sana’s back and thought about everything they had yet to say to each other. They never did get to have that pillow talk last night, but maybe this night they wouldn’t be so exhausted once they settled down. Nayeon would like to think that she wore Sana’s stamina down purely through her talent in bed, but it had probably been a combination of that and the very eventful day they’d had. Today had been much calmer, so while Nayeon was sure they would be just as wild as last night, Sana would hopefully not conk out straight afterwards.

“Hey!” She sat up suddenly, grinning with excitement. “We’re officially partners now! Know what that means?”

Sana shook her head, curious.

“Tzuyu’s going to find out!” Nayeon beamed. “She’s going to realise I’m not working alone anymore, and soon she’ll have to face the two of us!”

“Oh, that is cool!” Sana grinned, and Nayeon was relieved to see her sunny smile wasn’t dimmed anymore. “I get to meet more of your friends! Do you think she’ll like me?

“Actually, I’m pretty sure she’s going to hate you.” Nayeon said gleefully. “And it’s going to be so beautiful, I might actually cry.”