First Big Decision

Of Robbing Banks and Stealing Hearts

Don’t self-sabotage.

Tzuyu’s words kept repeating themselves in Nayeon’s mind, and as simple as they were, they helped her stay calm. Instead of freaking out or doing something dramatic, Nayeon just took a breath and then asked:

“So, what did you tell them?”

“I said…” Sana looked down and gripped her blanket. “I said I needed to think about it.”

Well. It could be worse. At least it wasn’t an outright agreement to ditch Nayeon and go home.

“I mean,” Sana rambled nervously on. “I didn’t want to go back when things were ty between us, and even though we’ve made up I still don’t know if I’d be happier back as a superhero. Maybe if I hadn’t met you, but I love you and I want to be with you but at the same time I love them and I want to be with them so I just don’t know.”

And suddenly, Nayeon felt sick. Not of Sana, but sick of her own anxiety and doubts. Hadn’t Sana already proven that she could be trusted? Didn’t she say earlier that she’d rather be here with Nayeon than back in Japan? So why was Nayeon still scared of something like this?

Nayeon made a decision there and then. She wasn’t going to worry about this. If Sana chose to stay here with Nayeon, then that was fantastic. If she chose to leave, then Nayeon was going to make the most of all the time they had left.

“Take all the time you need.” Nayeon reached out to gently unclench Sana’s hands from their grip on the blanket. “In the meantime, is there anything I can do for you?”

Nayeon’s calm reaction seemed to relax Sana. She smiled, and Nayeon’s heart clenched at how pale she still looked.

“There’s a party on tonight to celebrate the fact that we’re all not dead. Momo and Mina rented out a nightclub and invited everyone involved in Chanmi’s attack.”

“Do you want to go?”

“I do, but I’m worried I won’t look good all sick and dizzy.”

“That’s ridiculous, you look wonderful!” Nayeon protested. “In fact, I’d ravish you right here and now if the doctors and Jihyo hadn’t specifically told me not to.”

“Ravish me?” Sana wiggled her eyebrows, and Nayeon smiled at the familiar teasing look in her eyes. “Well now I really feel like going out tonight. What do you say?”

“I’m down.” Nayeon agreed immediately. “Any idea what this nightclub’s like? And how come no one told me about this party?”

“No idea, but it’s Momo and Mina so it’s probably got good drinks and average music. And no one told you because apparently you looked ready to bite everyone’s head off, so they figured they’d let me tell you about it instead.”

“They were intimidated by me?” Nayeon’s eyes shone. “Finally! People are respecting me as a genuine supervillain!”

“Well according to Momo it was because they all ‘understand what it’s like when the girl you’re whipped for is in trouble’ but I think your theory is just as valid.”

“She called me whipped? Momo was acting like Mina’s professional bodyguard the second she started crying!”

“Really?” Sana smiled fondly. “That’s cute. Usually it’s the other way around with Mina being whipped for her.”

“Does it… bother you? When we talk about them?”

“Nah.” Sana waved her hand breezily. “I’m over Mina. I mean she’s great and I love her, but she and Momo are good together, and you and me are perfect.”

Someone must have switched the air conditioning off because Nayeon felt her face heating up rapidly. She coughed nervously, deciding to ignore the giddy rush of feelings she got when Sana called them perfect. She wasn’t whipped. No way.

(Sana’s smile grew softer at Nayeon’s blush, and fine maybe she was a little whipped.)

“Is there any other news I missed?” Nayeon asked.

“Chungha and I have both been cleared by the doctors to attend the party tonight if we want, all other injured victims are also good to go, Chanmi is currently in surgery with six police officers armed and ready around her and Chaeyoung dyed her hair blonde.”

“Wait what? When did she find the time to do that?”

“No one knows.” Sana laughed. “The main theory is that she found a bottle of peroxide in a storage closet and just went for it like the madwoman she is. She looks good though.”

“Oh, you like blondes, do you?” Nayeon smirked. “Well too bad you missed my blonde phase.”

“No way!” Sana gasped, then pouted. “I want to see you blonde! What other hair colours did you try?”

“Red and brown. I also cut my hair short, but that was a dark period in my life.”

“I bet you looked amazing with short hair.”

“No.” Nayeon laughed. “No I did not.”

“Show me a picture or I won’t believe you.”

Nayeon sighed, but she couldn’t say no to Sana’s shimmering eyes. She pulled out her phone and found a photo of her taken a few years ago.

“Don’t laugh.”

“Laugh?” Sana’s jaw dropped open. “You look stunning! How the heck can you think you look bad?”

“Shoulder length just doesn’t suit me as well as long hair.” Nayeon shrugged.

“It does! I can’t believe I wasn’t around for that look.” Sana pouted again. “I’m going to get you to cut your hair short again, even if it takes me months to convince you.”

“Months? It would take you years.”

Nayeon didn’t bring up the fact that Sana might not be staying around for much longer. She’d already promised herself she wasn’t going to worry, which meant she wasn’t going to push her girlfriend to make a decision. If Sana wanted to talk about it she could.

“So, about that party.” Nayeon changed the subject quickly before the elephant in the room could grow more awkward. “You said that the music would probably be average. I know a great band that I could ask to perform if you want?”

“Really? What band?”

Nayeon smiled.


The club was large and loud. Huge speakers were hung in every room so that everyone could hear the music coming from the main stage. As the guests on the dance floor bopped to Heart Attack, Nayeon and Jeongyeon watched fondly as Sana and Jihyo spun around laughing.

“I still can’t believe you got LOONA to perform tonight.” Jeongyeon leant over to yell in her ear. “How in the world did you manage that?”

“Remember the guy from the weapons store? Jungkook? He and I are in an elite secret society called the Bunnies. One of the LOONA girls, Heejin, is also a member. I reached out and asked for a favour.”

Jeongyeon stared at her. Nayeon stared back innocently.

“I can’t tell if you’re messing with me or not.”

“Which answer would make you sleep better tonight?”

She could practically see the gears turning frantically in Jeongyeon’s brain. Nayeon struggled to keep a straight face until Jeongyeon finally shook her head.

“You’re messing with me. You have to be.”

“Are you sure about that?”

Sana and Jihyo came over as the song ended, thankfully saving Jeongyeon from a full-on breakdown. Sana grinned and grabbed Nayeon’s hands as Hi High began playing through the speakers.

“Come with me. I’m thirsty!”

“For water? Or for something else? Because I’m pretty sure there are bedrooms upstairs.”

Sana just winked and dragged Nayeon away into the main room, where the biggest bar was located. On their way they passed Chungha sitting down with a cast on her leg and her arm in a sling. Five girls were hovering around her, fussing over her injuries.

“Looks like Chanmi’s attack wasn’t a total tragedy.” Nayeon remarked.

Sana laughed and nodded ahead, where Chaeyoung and Tzuyu were leaning against the bar. Chaeyoung, very much drunk, was chatting to three girls of her own. Nayeon could practically see Tzuyu’s blood pressure rising as one of the girls reached out to touch Chaeyoung’s hair but luckily, she saw another blonde-haired girl who could help.

“Dahyun!”

Dahyun, currently flirting with another girl, turned around to glare at Nayeon.

“I’m kind of in the middle of something here!”

Nayeon gestured towards the bar, and Dahyun sighed when she saw what was happening.

“Sorry Gahyeon, I have to deal with this. If I don’t see you later, call me!”

She rushed over to the counter, grabbing both Tzuyu and Chaeyoung and dragging them away. Nayeon heard her mutter something about never getting a girlfriend of her own because of all her friends, but then they were out of sight and Sana was pulling her over to the bar.

“You think they’ll be alright?” Sana asked, handing Nayeon a glass of water.

“They’ll be fine.” Nayeon gratefully took the water. “I mean, Chaeyoung looked completely out of it, but she usually gets high before coming here so that’s normal. Either Dahyun and Tzuyu will stay with her until she sobers up or they’ll all start making out.”

“In that case let’s not follow them.”

They grabbed their drinks and made their way out into the hallway, where they didn’t have to yell at each other to be heard. Sana didn’t start talking right away. She looked contemplative, and Nayeon almost considered bringing up The Thing, but then another distraction arrived.

“You two!”

They looked over to the corner, where Momo and Mina were seated on chairs. Momo looked stressed, while Mina was staring blankly into space.

“What happened?” Sana asked, running over and kneeling down next to Mina.

“Your friend Chaeyoung came over, complimented my abs, told me she’d show me the in my feelings challenge and then gave Mina weed.”

“And they call me the chaotic one.” Nayeon muttered.

“I think she smoked too much.” Momo gently poked Mina’s head. “She’s been ranting about complete nonsense and then blanking out, then ranting again.”

Mina chose that moment to blink rapidly and clap her hands together, causing the other three girls to jump.

“Look Momo, they’re what I mean!” she gestured at Nayeon and Sana. “They work so well together because they’ve got that classic Alpha and Omega dynamic! Sana bagged herself an Alpha! But you and I are both Betas, which means we’ve got a larger chance of not mating for life!”

No one really knew how to respond to that.

“What the heck is she talking about?” Nayeon asked at last.

“I don’t know!” Momo cried. “Some fanfiction thing I think. What the hell was in that weed?”

“Hang on a second.” Sana frowned, shaking Mina’s shoulder to get her attention. “Did you just call me an Omega?”

“Yes!” Mina nodded, delighted that someone was finally paying attention. “And with Nayeon you’ve found your Alpha!”

Everyone seemed especially interested in Nayeon’s reaction to this. She shrugged.

“I mean, if Alpha means top and Omega means bottom, she’s not exactly wrong.”

“I’m a switch!” Sana protested.

“Oh honey.” Momo shook her head sympathetically. “You’re really not.”

“We only slept together once!”

“And I’ve had you pinned as a bottom since that first time.”

“Don’t you mean pegged?” Nayeon laughed at her own joke. “No but seriously, is Mina ok?”

“She’s delusional.” Sana grumbled. “Nayeon as an Alpha I can accept, but in what world are you both Betas and I’m an Omega? There’s no way we’re not equals.”

Mina’s eyes widened, and she frantically slapped Momo’s shoulder.

“Momo! Momo oh my God she’s right. Momo we’re not Betas we’re Omegas too! How are we going to work?”

“Baby, none of that is real.” Momo glared at them as Mina began to cry.

“I think we best…” Sana stared tiptoeing towards the exit.

“Agreed.” Nayeon followed her out. “Have a nice night Omegas!”

She muffled her giggles as Mina started yelling again. Sana shook her head, but there was a smile on her lips.

“So…” Nayeon drawled, as they made their way towards the smoking area. “You slept with Momo?”

“We were each other’s first time.” Sana explained. “It was pretty neat. We high fived afterwards and everything.”

“Nice.” Nayeon grinned. “By the way, do you have any idea what the Mina was talking about?”

“Honestly I’m not sure. She reads some weird stories on the internet, but after the time I caught her reading Sailor Moon fanfiction I decided not to ask.”

“How bad was it?”

“Not tentacle bad, but it was pretty close.”

“Hey guys?” They turned around to face Tzuyu, who looked worried. “Have you seen Chaeyoung? We were about to go have but then she and Dahyun vanished.”

“You were about to have ?” Nayeon shrieked. “Here? With Jihyo and Jeongyeon just downstairs?”

“…Yes?” Tzuyu looked at her like she had two heads. “Chaeyoung and I are grown adults. We have a lot. Didn’t Dahyun tell you about that one time-”

“She did! She did!” Nayeon hastily interrupted. “But that’s not the point! You may be grown adults but in Jihyo and Jeongyeon’s eyes you are babies. Cute, innocent babies who have never had , who don’t even know what means! If they catch you here it’ll burst their bubble of innocence!”

“So what?” Tzuyu snorted. “I’m all grown up now, they’ll just have to deal with it.”

“Do you know how they’ll deal with it? Do you Tzuyu?” Nayeon stepped closer, her voice ominous. “They’ll give you the talk, the most awkward talk you’ve ever had in your life. Picture you and Chaeyoung sitting there with Jihyo in front of you, holding a carrot and a dental dam. She can’t stop crying because you’re both growing up so fast, but at the same time she won’t stop talking about oral hygiene and filing your nails. You want it to be over but in reality, that’s only round one. Jeongyeon hasn’t even sung the STD song or shown you their strap collection. Is that the future you want Tzuyu? Is it?”

Tzuyu’s face had grown considerably paler the more Nayeon ranted.

“So,” Nayeon said. “Once again I’ll ask: Are you and Chaeyoung going to have upstairs?”

“?” Tzuyu laughed nervously. “What’s that? Never heard of it.”

“Atta girl.”

Tzuyu took off then before Nayeon could mentally scar her any further. Nayeon smiled when she felt Sana’s arms wrap around her.

“Did you really mean all that?”

“I wish I’d been exaggerating, but they used me as their guinea pig back when they first started worrying about the kids having . I even helped Jeongyeon compose the STD song.”

“I seriously thought you made that part up.”

“I wish I did, but alas I truly wasted three hours of my life trying to find words that rhymed with herpes.”

The sound of yelling distracted them once again. With all the entertainment this party had to offer, Nayeon wasn’t sure she’d get to finish a single conversation with Sana.

A crowd was forming in the parking lot. Nayeon and Sana elbowed their way through, eyes widening when they finally saw what was happening. Nayeon gave a delighted laugh at the sight.

Chaeyoung, swaying on her feet and pointing a plastic lightsaber at Jihyo, who was holding her own lightsaber and looked very unimpressed. Jeongyeon stood behind her wife, laughing and recording everything on her phone, while Tzuyu stood behind her soon to be fiancé, looking both embarrassed and amused.

“This is it! The final showdown!” Chaeyoung yelled dramatically. “All Tzuyu’s other friends have given their blessing, and even Nayeon approves! You’re the only one left Jihyo!”

“Of course I want you to propose to Tzuyu!” Jihyo yelled back. “I was with Jeongyeon when you asked for her blessing, you know I’m happy for you two. You’re basically part of the family already!”

“Nooo.” Chaeyoung whined, stomping her foot on the ground. “My victory has to be earned! You’re the final boss! The mom friend of all mom friends!”

“Jeongyeon’s more of a mom friend than I am and you asked her with no problem! Not to mention Tzuyu’s actual parents!”

“Tzuyu’s parents are fine, they love me and I told them about the ring months ago! With Jeongyeon I was shaking the whole time! Tzuyu and Dahyun had to hold my hands. And while Jeongyeon may be the mom friend you’re-”

“Chaeyoung if you call me the dad friend I swear-”

“You’re like the Alpha of the pack!” Chaeyoung blurted out.

“Oh not this again.” Nayeon groaned.

“And… and Tzuyu is like the most beautiful Omega in your pack, and I’m just some upstart Beta trying to steal her away and claim her as my own.”

The crowd was completely silent, everyone trying to figure out what Chaeyoung was attempting to say.

“…it made a lot of sense when I was talking about it with Mina, ok?”

“So you’re telling me you won’t propose to Tzuyu until we fight?” Jihyo sighed.

“A duel for the honour of her hand.” Chaeyoung her lightsaber dramatically up in the air.

Jihyo looked around at the expectant faces. From the crowd of random party guests, to Nayeon and Sana with eating grins on their faces, to Jeongyeon who gave her a thumbs up, to Dahyun who was pretending very hard that she didn’t know any of them and to Tzuyu who just shrugged.

What the hell.

“Fine.” Jihyo said, and the crowd erupted into cheers. “We’ll duel. First one to hit the other’s neck with their lightsaber wins.”

“Yes!” Chaeyoung cheered.

She turned around and kissed Tzuyu, then stumbled forward to face Jihyo. Thus began an epic duel that put action movies to shame. Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee wept, the creators of Star Wars based the plot of their next movie on this fight, the world fencing champions made a statue in honour of this duel, and stuntmen everywhere retired realising they could never top the sheer action and drama conveyed by these two fighters.

At least, that’s how Nayeon would tell the story later. In reality it was one completely hammered kid swishing a plastic toy around and attempting to hit an older girl who was trying to lose without making it too obvious. Still, the crowd was hyper and buzzed, and they oohed and gasped with each swing of the lightsabers. After a minute or two, Chaeyoung managed to brush Jihyo’s neck with her weapon, and Jihyo fell to the ground dramatically.

“You have defeated me.” Jihyo proclaimed solemnly. “Son Chaeyoung, I hereby give you my blessing to marry Tzuyu.”

The crowd broke out into cheers. Nayeon kissed Sana in celebration, while Tzuyu ran forward to pick Chaeyoung up and swing her around in a hug.

“Yes!” Chaeyoung cheered, but once Tzuyu had set her down she noticed the expectant faces. “Oh I’m not going to do it right now. I’ve got another dramatic idea for the actual proposal.”

Jihyo’s eyebrows shot up at this new revelation, but Tzuyu looked too happy for anyone to object. Sana tapped Nayeon’s shoulder, gesturing for them to get out of there. Nayeon began squeezing through the crowd, but not before she heard Chaeyoung whisper something to Tzuyu and Dahyun about a victory .

Nayeon made a mental note to stay away from all the bedrooms and closets in the nightclub, just in case Tzuyu forgot her advice and gave in to her girlfriend. She didn’t dwell on it too long though, because Sana seemed to be dragging her away from the nightclub.

They ended up lying on a small grassy hill next to the parking lot, staring up at the night sky. Nayeon wanted to say something cheesy about the stars and Sana’s beauty, but before she could get a line out Sana turned to face her, a serious look on her face.

“Can we talk?”

“Sure.” Nayeon sat up, trying to ignore the anxiety in her stomach. “Is it about what Momo and Mina asked you to do?”

“Yeah.” Sana looked just as nervous as Nayeon felt. “I’ve made my decision. I know what I want.”

Honestly, Nayeon had been hoping for a little more time living in the moment and pretending this decision didn’t exist, but if Sana was ready then Nayeon was ready to hear it.

“What did you decide?”

For a second there was silence, and in that silence a million thoughts seemed to race through Nayeon’s mind. She felt like she was going to cry, but she couldn’t explain why.

Then Sana smiled.

“I’m staying here.” Sana said. “I want to be here, with you.”

There was a breath that Nayeon hadn’t even realised she’d been holding, and when she let it out it felt like all the buzzing in her head went with it. There were still questions, about what had led Sana to that decision and what she would say to her friends, but in that moment, there was only one response Nayeon could give.

She leant forward and kissed Sana, kissed her with all the love she had in her. Sana gasped, her hands flying up to cup Nayeon’s head, pulling her closer.

They were both crying, Nayeon realised. Happy tears, tears of relief.

Sana chose her. Sana loved Nayeon and she chose to stay. Nayeon laughed with joy, and then she cried a bit more and then she laughed again at her own tears. Sana held her close the whole time, held Nayeon like she never wanted to let go.

Nayeon understood, because she felt the exact same way.