First Strategy Meeting

Of Robbing Banks and Stealing Hearts

The hospital was more crowded then Nayeon had ever seen it before. Jihyo really hadn’t exaggerated about Chungha being friends with everyone, because Nayeon had to push her way past three sobbing teenagers, the entire theatre crew, a middle-aged lady, and two kpop idols she vaguely recognized before finally squeezing into Chungha’s room.

Nayeon wasn’t one for guilt. Responsibility and accountability were things she firmly avoided when possible. But seeing Chungha lying there, pale and covered in tubes… maybe she felt the tiniest bit regretful.

Chungha opened her eyes, and Nayeon forced a bright smile onto her face.

“Hey.” she said. “Looking good.”

Chungha laughed, then immediately winced as she jostled one of the many tubes around her.

“So, I owe you a thanks.” Nayeon sat down next to her. “We were worried about where Chanmi might be going next, but since everyone she might possibly target is currently in this hospital ward to visit you, we’re pretty certain she’s on her way here.”

“Happy to help.” Chungha grinned, her voice raspy. “I think I managed to hit her once before this massive guy with a steel pipe caught me in the shoulder, so all you have to do is finish her off.”

“Well we have some actual superheroes on our side now. Not just the Hulk, but Japan’s Trinity are also here to help take her down, so there’s a good chance we won’t all die today.”

“That’s always nice to hear.”

They fell silent. Nayeon tapped her feet as the heart monitor continued to beep.

“So who are you avoiding?” Chungha asked.

“Jihyo and Jeongyeon.” Nayeon didn’t even try to deny it. “Jihyo found out that I had a part in this Chanmi mess, so I threw the rest of you under the bus to make her less mad at me.”

“Thanks.”

“Relax, Jihyo can’t get angry at you when you’re in a hospital bed. But she started yelling at Jeongyeon the second we met up with her and Dahyun, so I had to get out of there before Jeongyeon realised I was the one who sold her out.”

“Oh.” Chungha tilted her head curiously. “You’re a very chaotic person, you know that?”

“Well I am a supervillain.”

“Fair point.”

“But seriously,” Nayeon reached out to take Chungha’s hand. “Is there anything I can do for you? Other than whack Chanmi over the head when I finally see her.”

“Well there is one thing. If it’s not too much to ask, can you get me the Hulk’s autograph? I’m a big fan.”

It took Nayeon three full seconds to force the smile back onto her face.

“Sure!” She said, trying not to grit her teeth. “I know Tzuyu. She’s… great. I can get you an autograph no problem.”

Chungha nodded gratefully, but when she saw the pain in Nayeon’s eyes, she cracked and started laughing.

“You’re messing with me.” Nayeon realised.

“I know Tzuyu too. She comes to visit Jihyo during rehearsals all the time.” Chungha chuckled. “From what she’s told me it sounds like you two have a lot of history, so I couldn’t resist.”

“It’s fine.” Nayeon grinned, relieved that she didn’t actually need to beg Tzuyu for an autograph. “But try that again and you’ll be next on my list of kidnap victims.”

“Nice try, but if you kidnap me you’ll piss Jihyo off even more.”

“Like you said,” Nayeon smirked. “I’m a very chaotic person.”


She found Sana and her friends entertaining a bunch of hospital patients. Nayeon had no idea why Sana saying “Sha sha sha.” was enough to make the whole ward erupt into cheers, but she didn’t question it. Her girlfriend was powerful like that.

Once the Trinity waved goodbye to the cheerful patients, they met up with the rest of the gang outside in the hallway. There was noticeable tension between Jihyo and Jeongyeon, but no one was brave enough to comment on it.

“So what’s the plan?” Nayeon asked.

“Mina’s given most of us immunity to Chanmi’s brainwashing. You’re the only one left to go.” Jihyo informed her. “We’re going to try and stop her outside the hospital, in case she tries to add the staff here to her army.”

“And when Jihyo says we’re going to stop her she means four of you who have powers.” Jeongyeon added. “One of you is going to stay behind with us nonpowered folk as the last line of defence, while four of you tackle her head on.”

“I vote Nayeon.”

“I vote Tzuyu.”

They turned and glared at each other. Those that knew them well sighed, while Momo and Mina just looked confused.

“You have the best power.” Tzuyu argued. “If we can’t stop her then you can rewind time and start evacuating everyone.”

“Or I could use my power to make sure we stop her before she reaches the hospital.”

“You’ll be surrounded by chaos, and one hit can knock you out!”

“Exactly! I’m too fragile to be the last defence, which is why it should be you.”

Tzuyu looked ready to argue some more, but they were running out of time. Nayeon glanced over at Chaeyoung, and for once, they understood each other perfectly.

Do it.

There’s no need-

We don’t have time for this Chaeyoung. I’m not staying behind, so you have to convince her.

Fine.

“Babe.” Chaeyoung said softly, reaching over to take Tzuyu’s hand. “I’d feel better if you stayed here with us. Let Nayeon and the girls try to stop her first, and if things go wrong I know you can save us.”

Nayeon resisted the urge to fake vomit as Tzuyu melted completely. Her angry expression softened instantaneously, and when she looked into Chaeyoung’s pleading eyes, Nayeon knew it was game over.

“Fine.” Tzuyu sighed. “I’ll stay behind.”

Chaeyoung grinned and hugged her, while in the background Momo whispered to Sana to explain what had just happened.

“That’s Tzuyu’s girlfriend.” Sana whispered back. “They’re in love and it’s adorable but Nayeon pretends to hate it.”

Nayeon wanted to deny the pretend part, but Chaeyoung reached up to kiss Tzuyu’s cheek and Tzuyu smiled like she’d just been covered in a bunch of puppies.

“Maybe they’re a little cute.” she muttered to Sana.

“Alright then.” Jihyo clapped her hands. “Now that that’s decided, let’s get going. Tzuyu and us normal people will head back to Chungha and my theatre group. Nayeon, Sana, Momo and Mina, stop Chanmi as quickly as possible.”

“Do we have any idea where she is?”

“Just checked the news.” Chaeyoung had her phone out. “Looks like we were right. She’s around two blocks away, and marching straight towards the hospital.”

“Alright then, we best get going.”

“Wait!” They all paused as Chaeyoung ran up to Momo. “You’re the same Momo that does dance covers on Youtube, right?”

“Uh… yeah?”

“Have you heard of the shoot dance?”

“No, what’s that?”

“Chaeyoung.” Jihyo growled. “Get over here.”

“I’ll show you later!” Chaeyoung took off, and Nayeon really did feel sorry for how confused Momo got by everything her friends did.

“Mina, you need to brainwash proof me, right?”

Mina nodded, and stepped forward. There was something strange about the girl your girlfriend used to be in love with holding your head and looking deep into your eyes, but Nayeon decided not to question it much. She just let Mina work her mojo, and after a moment Mina blinked and stepped back.

“That’s it?”

Mina nodded.

“Oh.” Nayeon tapped her head experimentally. “Cool. I thought I’d feel different.”

“The whole point is that you won’t feel different if Chanmi tries to turn you.” Momo told her. “If your head feels the same as normal than Mina’s done it right.”

“Overprotective of your girlfriend, aren’t you?”

“What’s that supposed to-”

“Before this goes any further.” Sana interrupted. “I think we should discuss leadership. I know I led us back in Japan, but things have changed, so if you think we should try something different now’s the time to say it.”

“Nayeon’s the oldest, right?” Momo said. “Why doesn’t she lead us?”

Nayeon burst out laughing. It took her a moment to realise Momo wasn’t laughing with her.

“Wait, were you serious?” Nayeon shook her head. “Thanks, but no thanks. Leadership requires way too much responsibility. I’m sticking with my role as the wildcard.”

“I think Sana should be the leader.” Mina spoke up. “We worked best that way as a trio. I’m sure it won’t be too hard for Nayeon to join in.”

“I’m cool with that.” Nayeon grinned. “I haven’t seen much of Leader Sana so far, but I think I’m going to like her.”

Sana winked, but not even their flirting could distract from the elephant in the room.

“Momo?” Sana asked, and Nayeon’s hands clenched into fists at how nervous she sounded. “You’re older than me. I know you’ve never had a problem with me leading before, but now-”

“Of course I want you to lead us Satang.” Momo’s lower lip quivered. “Remember when I almost went out to fight that electric villain with my shoes on the wrong feet? You were the one that stopped me and also reminded me that my laces were undone. If it wasn’t for you I would have died years ago!”

“Well I’m glad you can admit that at least.” Sana sniffed, but she seemed dangerously teary eyed herself.

“I’m sorry Sana. I know I’ve messed this up, but I really just want us to be a team again. Nothing would make me happier than you leading us.”

Sana’s eyes were definitely glistening, and Momo wasn’t much better. After a brief hesitation, Sana nodded.

“If you’re really ok with it, I’d be happy to lead this fight.”

Momo picked her up and hugged her then, and Nayeon smiled as Sana giggled. When she touched down on the floor again, everyone was back to being dry eyed.

“Right then, weapons check!” Sana held up her bat. “Show me your weapon and tell me how you’re going to use it.”

“I’m going to try and knock as many people unconscious as I can.” Nayeon held up her own bat. “And if I see something going wrong, I’ll rewind time to fix it.”

“I’m going to tie the brainwashed civilians up to help clear a path.” Momo held out her rope.

Mina waved her hands, and the air around them seemed to ripple.

“Excellent.” Sana grinned, waving her own bat. “I’ll direct everything, but we all know the main goal. If you see a chance, knock Chanmi out. Got it?”

“Eye eye captain!” Nayeon cheered, laughing at the embarrassed look Sana shot her.

“Ok then, move out team!”

With Sana in the lead, they started running down the hall towards the main entrance of the hospital. Nayeon was focused on not tripping or falling behind, so she was surprised when she heard the other three cheering.

“Let’s go lesbians! Here we go!”

“Let’s go!”

“Move lesbians!” Even Mina was joining in.

“What’s going on?” Nayeon had to ask.

“Huh?” Sana paused her cheering to look back at Nayeon. “You mean our chant? It’s what we do to psych ourselves up before running into situations where we’re likely to die.”

“Oh.” Nayeon said, wheezing slightly from all the running. “Does it work?”

“Well we haven’t died yet, have we?”

“Good point.” Nayeon took a deep breath. “Let’s go lesbians!”

“Let’s go!”

“Here we go lesbians! Here we go!”

And screaming their battle cry, they charged outside.