Let Me Love You

Serendipity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Every day, well almost every day I would feel an extreme of any emotion. They would range from pure happiness, to laughter, to loss, to grief, to surprise, to even depression.

However, most days they would be pure happiness.  

 

Most people describe this feeling as your soulmate connection. Here in my society, whatever extreme of an emotion your soulmate is feeling, you’ll feel a tinge of it, whether or not it was happy or sad. It was weird growing up as a child, I had always felt the feelings of extreme emotions every day.

Growing up in society this day and age with the concept of soulmates, it’s very rare to find yours. Most ignore that sliver of emotion that they’ll feel and stick with whoever they’re with. Every day, I could tell, couples weren’t soulmates, just by the way they would interact. Some days I would see the woman, sometimes a man in the relationship experience that extreme of an emotion- usually happiness, however, the other wouldn’t express the same. Having parents who are soulmates does change your opinions on why it’s worth it to find your soulmates. To see my mom, even on her worst days, my dad would somehow always be able to change it to make it better. Some days you can’t help the bad days, but when your significant other is waiting at home with a cup of cocoa and your favorite takeout food after a horrible day, you know it’s worth having that soulmate around.

 

“Hey!” My best friend Jimin smiles at me, distracting me from my thoughts as he sits down next to me. “Did you finish that English assignment? Mr. Kim was saying it was worth at least 15% of our grade!”

Jimin is someone I met during elementary school, in kindergarten. He’s always been by my side- still don’t understand why, however he has and is my best friend. With his floppy brown locks, friendly personality, cute eye smile and dimples, who wouldn’t be in love with him? However, he chooses to hangout with me, and five others but he chooses to be my best friend. Why? I’ll never understand what goes on his brain.

“Oh geez. I didn’t realize it was that bad...” Taehyung groans, another one of our friends and leans his head on Jungkook, his best friend (actually boyfriend but society is still ignorant in this day and age).

Jungkook rubs Taehyung’s shoulders, trying to comfort him. “I’m sure you did fine. Don’t worry about it, right Namjoonie? He doesn’t have to worry about anything yeah?” Jungkook turns to face Namjoon, another one in our friend group. He’s a year older, and Taehyung’s older brother.

Namjoon looks up from the book he’s currently reading and nods, “Mr. Kim just wants your perspective on the soulmate concept.” Namjoon explains and looks over at Seokjin, his soulmate and back at Taehyung. “I’m assuming you wrote your experience, which makes it a breeze.” Seokjin can’t help but blush and gives Namjoon a quick peck on the cheek.

“Ah geez,” I groan as I look at Namjoon and Seokjin. I love all my friends, but knowing they all have their soulmates and not me sometimes is quite the pain. Seokjin lets out a dramatic eye roll and looks at me, “I know you haven’t found yours but come on, Let me enjoy the fact Namjoon didn’t punch me for kissing him in public.”

Acknowledging that fact I just shrug my shoulders and stare at my binder which contains my copy of the assignment.

“How did yours turn out since, you know, since you didn’t find your soulmate?” Taehyung asks and all eyes are soon on me as I fiddle with my fingers.

“Uh, hopefull,y alright. It’s a bit hard to write about soulmates when you don’t have one,” I trail off biting my lip.

It’s not hard to let that fact bother me. Every day it’s getting harder and harder to accept the fact my soulmate may not even believe in the concept of soulmates in this day and age.

“Look, she’s not the only one who hasn’t found her soulmate.” Jimin chimes in, and wraps his arm around me, and I feel a deep sense of gratitude towards him. He squeezes me a bit and I can’t hope but wish he was my soulmate. “Remember, my soulmate is still out there, and I haven’t found them yet, but I also did the assignment as well.”

“Well that’ll be interesting,” I see a grin grow on Namjoon’s face, as well as Seokjin’s.

“What do you mean by interesting?” Jimin inquires but the school bell rings, signalling this conversation will be put on hold for now.

“Meaning, have fun in literature class.” Seokjin laughs and gets up for class with Namjoon in tow. Everyone groans and grunts as they all have to go to class. Waiting for Taehyung, who always takes ten years to get ready I swear along with Jimin and Jungkook for that dreaded literature class.

“I wonder what they meant by interesting?” Taehyung asks as the four of us head off to class.

“Probably because we’re all in the same class.” Jungkook shrugs as he carries most of Taehyung’s books for him.

 

Entering literature class, we all take our seats, Jimin next to the window, me on the right of him and Taehyung and Jungkook in front of us respectively.

“Okay class, I hope everyone finished their assignments, because now we’ll be doing a quick presentation on them for the rest of the class.” Professor Kim smiles and you can’t help but stare widely at Jimin who is just as shocked as you.

 

Maybe this is why Namjoon and Seokjin said class would be interesting.

 

Mr. Kim has us presenting row by row from right to left which makes me nervous. Most of the class opinion’s on soulmates were that even though they’re probably out there, it’s not worth the disappointment if your other half is currently with someone else so it’s better to just seek your own happiness. Others have the belief that you should wait and find your soulmate. One girl even talked about how even if it seems impossible, if the universe destined you to be with someone for the rest of your life, they would somehow make your paths cross eventually when the timing is right.

 

It’s finally Jungkook’s turn, as he’s the first out of the four of us to share. Hesitantly he stands up and looks at Taehyung then Jimin and I before beginning.

“I was born by parents who weren’t soulmates. They never believed in the concept as they realized their love was stronger than their soulmate connection. That was a phenomenon as both my sides of grandparents are strong believers of the soulmate connection. However, my parents didn’t care and gave birth to me and my sister. My sister found her soulmate when we were four, and I couldn’t believe it honestly. The concept of soulmates still astounds me. My sister found hers at four years old, my grandparents met when they were 29. My aunt just found hers and she’s about to be 60 years old. So soulmates, are weird, and I understand why some wouldn’t want to find they’re soulmates like my parents. However, I believe if you do have the opportunity to met your soulmate, you should take it because you know they’ll understand you, even as the entire world is against you.” Jungkook finishes as he stares at Taehyung and gives a small smile to him.

The entire class claps as Jungkook’s one is probably the most insightful out of everyone who has presented.

“So mine isn’t as insightful as Jungkook’s so I hope it’ll suffice.” Taehyung jokes as he stands up, Jungkook giving his and hand a quick squeeze before letting go.

“I got to meet my soulmate in the most unconventional way ever I would assume. Sometimes my middle school self was depressed because I was different compared to everyone else at my other school. I wasn’t rich like the other kids, I wasn’t into the same taste of music as others. I was raised quite differently than others. So the day I met my soulmate was the day I almost committed suicide.” Taehyung explains and the entire class goes silent.

I look at Jimin who’s just as shocked at my teacher. “My soulmate was walking home that day and somehow felt the same sadness so they went to where they feel happiness when they’re lonely. Coincidentally it happened to be where I was about to commit suicide. Right next to a cliff that overwatch's the entire city. The moment they pulled me before I jumped, I knew whoever pulled me wasn’t someone who was just a random stranger. They were someone who was supposed to be in life. Looking back, the signs were there of the universe. The fact that I wandered to that specific location during a time of my depression. The fact I felt solace of commiting suicide at that specific location. I don’t believe in the concept of a higher being, but I do believe that soulmates are there in the world for us when we feel down. They’re there to let us know, it’s okay, you’re not alone.” Taehyung finishes and the entire room starts clapping, some even ran to give Taehyung a huge hug.

Jimin and I clap, still staring at each other in shock. Taehyung never discussed this with us. All we knew from when we met Taehyung he came up to us with a bright smile and Jungkook next to his side, shy but still acknowledging our presence.

“I think yours might have not been as insightful as Jungkook’s but is the most heartwarming.” Mr. Kim gives Taehyung a smile,  before he has the next person to continue.

Feeling antsy as my nerves go up in a threshold, I can’t help but feel nervous about my paper. Taehyung and Jungkook’s were spectacular presentations and now mine? I have no idea how to feel about it.

I feel Jimin’s hand on my thigh rubbing it in circles as he attempts to calm my nerves. I look at him grateful that I have a someone like him by my side. I hope my soulmate can read me as well as my best friend can.

Jungkook turns around and ushers me to stand, not realizing that it was currently my turn to present.

“Well, um.” I begin, feeling more nervous than ever to present, “I haven’t met my soulmate- I think. Some days, I feel like they’re so close but then others, I wonder where they are because I feel lost in their emotions. I always thought I would meet my soulmate quickly since I was able to feel their emotions for as long as I could remember. I remember the first time I felt it, it was when I was eating breakfast and I felt an extreme sense of happiness. I remember when I asked my parents about what it was and they explained it to me. My parents met each other as freshmen in high school and we’re called the ‘high school sweethearts’ as they found each other as soulmates and were inseparable since then. It was the cliche bad boy turned good for the girl he loved. I was so inspired by their soulmate story, I just wanted to meet mine right away, I mean I always felt their emotions so why wouldn’t I? However, as the years went on, the more frustrating it got knowing I could always feel their emotions but I couldn’t find them, themselves you know? It felt like a dream where I couldn’t grasp their hands and tell them their day will get better, I’m here for you. However, I won’t give up. I may not have some tale of finding my soulmate, but I know they’re out there. I won’t give up for as long as I live to find them. If they somehow end up with someone else, I’ll support them and be their best friend. However I want to find mine, I want to tell them, life gets better and be there for them.” I explain and look at Jimin who looks winded as he stares at his own paper. He

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter