Prologue

Between Life & Death (hiatus)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
0 PROLOGUE  

September 1st, 1997.

 

A baby boy is born to the Jeons on the gloomy day of September 1st, 1997. The rain has been pouring nonstop since the morning Mrs. Jeon arrives at the hospital and went into labor. The Jeons have been anticipating the birth of their second child these past nine months. Their first, Jeon Junghyun, was born healthy and grew up steadily as a happy little boy. The second pregnancy, however, came with complications. Throughout the pregnancy, Mrs. Jeon often woke up from nightmares related to death. She didn’t think much of it at the time, but as time went on the nightmares transitions into night terrors that concerned her husband. In addition to the night terrors, Mrs. Jeon has terrible pain in her abdominal area and she constantly fears that her baby’s life was in danger. Every time this happens, her husband would drive her straight to the obstetrician to check-up on the baby. However, all tests come back normal.

 

Now standing besides the hospital bed with his father, Junghyun watches as his baby brother is being held in the arms of his mother. He feels the comforting pat on the head given by his father. Junghyun tilts his head looking up to meet the eyes of his father, who smiles down warmly at him.

 

His brother is strange, for he almost never cries, even if he’s hungry or needs a diaper change. The nurses could not understand the baby’s unusual behavior. Even when his brother was being pulled out of the womb, he only made a few small sounds to let the doctors know he was alive and breathing.
 

His mother hums a soft tune while looking at the newborn in her arms. She turns her attention towards Junghyun after, "Say, what should we name him Junghyun-ah?" She asks. He ponders this for the next few minutes, his little legs tippy-toeing to eye his brother who is sleeping peacefully in his mother's arms. With no hesitation in his voice, he answers simply, "Jeongguk," naming him after a close friend of his. And Jeongguk it was.

 

Not a moment later, chaos breaks out in the hospital. Loud banging and screaming sounded from the nearby room. Mr. Jeon immediately closes the door of their room, hugging Junghyun close to him as he glance over at his wife. A figure hidden underneath a dark cloak, face concealed by a mask with visible glowing eyes appears from outside the Jeons door making its way to the room besides theirs.

 

They knew what was happening. It's been the 5th time that day that it has happened. The strange appearance of the person in a cloak and mask. A Grim’s appearance could only mean one thing…

 

Someone is dying.

 

Mr. Jeon covers Junghyun's ears with the palms of his hands. Loud crying of a woman in the room next to theirs roars through the walls. They could hear the helpless plea of the woman, begging for her child to be saved.

 

The woman, who was also transported to the hospital around the same time as Mrs. Jeon, has been suffering from a complicated pregnancy. She had to give birth to her son prematurely due to her baby’s weak heart. The doctors have been doubtful on whether or not the baby will be able to live. The Grims’ presence was expected, though the woman tried to put away that possibility.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter