Crescendo

Prelude: Voice

“Let’s go for stargazing.” Eunnie suggested when she was looking at her phone one day after school.

“Why so sudden?” Dongwoon was a bit taken aback.

“Coz here said there are Orion meteor shower and Moon conjunction with Neptune this Saturday night. Should we go to see?” She showed the news on her phone to the boy.

“Um. But why don’t you go with Seungyoon?”

“Because you love stargazing, so I would rather go with you.” He never expected that she would choose him over Seungyoon. It also made his heart skipped a beat as he thought he might still have chances.

"Um. I’m fine if you won’t whine about mosquito bites.”

“Say the one who scares bugs.” Eunnie rolled her eyes.

“Only you and me going?”

“Mwoh? You worry that I will eat you alive?”

“Of course!” Dongwoon crossed her arms in front of his chest. Eunnie hit his hands away.

“Yea yea, you won’t get any help in the empty mountains even you have screamed so loud.” She smirked.

“Saturday finally arrived, they met up in the subway station. “Where are we going actually?” Dongwoon keep hidden their destination of the day, but Eunnie had her full trust on him, so she just asked him until now.

“We are going to somewhere near Gimhae Observatory.” Gimhae was a famous stargazing spot in Busan. There were also some places for camping next to it. Eunnie nodded. She had not much knowledge about the activity. She had never thought Dongwoon would say yes to her suggestion and prepared a lot for it.

They had to go through a section of rugged mountain road before they could reach the peak. Compared to Dongwoon, Eunnie found it difficult to follow his pace. “Wai… wait…” She held the rocks by her side, trying to catch up with him step by step. He turned and saw how struggled she was, he went back and held her hands tightly, without saying anything. When there were rough roads, he would pull her up. Even they almost arrived and the road became flat, Dongwoon still not let her hand go. Looking at him holding her hand, Eunnie slowed down and took a ‘boyfriend photo’ for him. Her heart skipped a beat when she looked at the picture. The feeling of depending on him also grew as she looked at the boy in front of her.

"Wow!! Here we are!" They reached the peak at sunset. As the weather was clear, the edgeless, beautiful sunset became the background and no other people were there. "Let's take a selfie~" Eunnie suggested and ran behind Dongwoon. She stood with her toes and put her hands on his shoulders due to the difference in their height. Dongwoon's heart beat in rocket speed as Eunnie leaned her head onto his shoulder. Sweet smiles spread on their faces in this precious moment. After taking the photo, they laid the picnic mat on a flat ground and sat on it. Not much communication between them, they just listened to the sound of wind, sea and tree quietly.

The darkness finally replaced all the light in the sky. The only light sources were two oil lamps around them, forming a romantic aura. "Eunnie-ar… Do you… perhaps… love Seungyoon?" Dongwoon finally gathered his courage to ask her.

"Not sure… but it was like you would like to know more about the one who was wooing you. And he fits my ideal type too."

"Ideal type?"

"Nae nae. Good in music and composinng, dependable, responsible as he is the monitor, will protect me, tall and handsome, and smart too." She listed the conditions of her ideal type. Dongwoon listened closely, and he fitted for all conditions.

"Um… If there is another boy that fits your ideal type, will you fall for him?" He asked carefully.

"Ai~~ It is hard to meet someone like that. Being couple is the problem of serendipity. Maybe tomorrow I may fall in love with some acquaintance." Even Dongwoon was nodding, he sighed inside of his heart. Sure that he fitted Eunnie's  ideal type, and there might be possibility that she would fall in love with boys other than Seungyoon, but it wouldn't be him. However, in Eunnie's heart, Dongwoon was different and charmer today. A debate was going on in her heart, but the fact of the enlargement of his charm was unarguable. "How about you? Your ideal type?" Eunnie also asked him.

"For me… Smart, respect the elderly, detail minded, like to be protected, and… can be as close and natural as friends." Dongwoon looked at her when he started to count. Not knowing it was the yellow light from the oil lamp or illusion, her cheeks seems tinted in pink.

"Ar, so… have you met one?" Dongwoon stayed silent for a while. It was another nice timing for him to confess. But the fear in his heart still forbidden him to say it out because he really didn't want to lose her.

"I don't know…"

"Ar… geuraegura…" He didn't know if he was too desperate, disappointment could be heard in her voice. When he looked at her again, Eunnie had laid on the mat, looking at the sky quietly. Althought the metero shower had not started yet, as there were not much light pollution, many stars could be seen. Dongwoon laid down as well and stuffed one side of his earphone to her ear, while he put on the other side. Soft music was coming out from the earphones, made people lost in the beautiful sight.

"It is so beautiful, but I am not able to take photos. I really want to cry…" Hearing her whimpering voice, Dongwoon ruffled her hair.

"Babo." They keep looking at the stars quietly. Eunnie pointed at the brightest star next to the moon.

"That star is so bright. What's its name?"

"It is Neptune. This is the moon junction actually. Normally it would be other planets and different everyday."

"Would it be Pluto?"

"Um. Even though they might look close, the distance between them was huge."

Silence surrounded them again. Dongwoon hummed along the song that came out from the earphone. Eunnie was shocked by his voice. "You sing very well." She praised him.

"Ar… Aniyo…" Dongwoon looked at his watch. "Oh! Already 11pm."

"So we have to go down in half hour." Eunnie said with disappointment. They had never thought that they couldn't watch the meteor shower even they had been waited for so many hours. Therefore, they also didn't bring any camping equipment, which was impossible for them to stay the night on the mountain.

“Don’t be sad, we can wait for next chance.”Dongwoon comforted her. At the next 30 minutes, Eunnie keep praying for the sign of meteor shower, but none was seen.

“We have to go now.” Dongwoon stood up and pulled her up. The girl insisted to sit.

“Just give me 10 more seconds! If it doesn’t show up in 10 seconds, we will go.” Eunnie insisted which made Him compromised. He started the countdown. When it reached zero, nothing came out. Eunnie pouted with disappointment.

“Don’t be like that, we will see it next…” He ruffled her head. Before he could finish his sentence, he was interrupted.

“Oh my god!!!” Eunnie pointed the edgeless sky before them. The meteors crossed the dark sky together, just like rain shower. “Let’s make a wish!” She crossed her fingers and closed her eyes tight, mumbling her wishes. Seeing the cute side of hers, Dongwoon also made his wish. *I hope you could see me… notice me…* He made it in his heart even he knew that it wouldn’t be happening. After Eunnie finished her wishing, they took the view silently, not knowing time slipped as well.

When they realized they had to go, it was already midnight. “What should we do… there was no more bus and no taxi passed here…” Eunnie nervously mumbled.

“Um… How many cash do you have?” Dongwoon suddenly asked her.

“20000 won. Why?”

“That’s it. I have 50000 with me. We could rent a room for a night.”

“O…okay…” This was the first time for Eunnie to sleep at the place not her home, so she was extremely nervous. Dongwoon held her hand and went down the mountain slowly. Luckily they could find a decent hostel for the night. Due to the limited amount of money, they could only rent a double room. As Eunnie fully trusted him, she was fine with the arrangement, and even invited him to share the bed with her. Little did she know, this unintentional act had made Dongwoon’s heart flew. To cool down his red face , he rushed to the toilet to take a shower before the girl had the chance. Eunnie went right after he had come out. He sat on the bed and recalled all the memory of the day. Everything was like a dream. Holding hands, watching sunset and stars, and sharing a bed were just like any other couple would do. But he knew that Eunnie didn’t feel like that. Thinking of himself missing another confession chance as he was such a coward, his heart sank and took out his notebook, starting to write a poem.

 

Moon conjunction --

You are the brightest moon

Always accompanied by the brightest star

Jupiter Venus Mars Mercury

Very close, but it will never be me

Because I am Pluto

Even though I could be by your side, seems to be very close

The distance between us is counted in the unit of light year

You could notice the star next to the moon, but not me

 

Eunnie came out after shower and saw Dongwoon was writing something. “What’s that?” She approached him to look clearly, but Dongwoon stuffed his notebook into the blanket nervously.

“Not…nothing…”

“How nervous you are.” She giggled and laid flat on the bed, drifting to her dreamland in a minute. Dongwoon also laid down and looked at Eunnie’s profile who was sleeping peacefully. In the bottom of his heart, he really wish time could be stopped by today, the day that they were close like couple. When Dongwoon closed his eyes and ready to sleep, he felt someone hugged him. It was Eunnie who was deep in her sleep that hugged him. Her scent and heat radiated from her body made him frozen at the spot. He lightly turned to face her without waking her. He circled his arms around her body and hugged her tightly. Not knowing when, Dongwoom who keep staring at her had also drifted to sleep.

Eunnie was woken up by the bright sunlight that penetrated the windows. The first thing she saw when she opened her eyes was Dongwoon’s chest in a close view. She blushed hard as she realized she was actually hugging him to sleep. Being in his embrace, it felt so good and secure with his well-built body. Dongwoon was still sleeping. She took the time to intake his beauty, which made her heart beat so hard that might have echo in the room. She had never experience this butterfly feeling before, not even to Seungyoon. “It was impossible… I have been his friends for years, but had never felt this before… It must be illusion." Eunnie reasoned herself with multiple reasons. Although she had comforted herself, it was so warm to stay in his embrace. Without her knowing, she fell into sleep again.

 

At a section of art lesson at the following week, Eunnie and Dongwoon's classes shared the same timeslot. The teacher had given a topic of drawing portrait of the partner. It was usual for them to pair up. Everything was perfect until Eunnie raised her head and looked at the Dongwoon in front of him. The boy who was so concentrated on drawing made her heart beat faster with unknown reason. Suddenly the memory of him treating her warmly replayed in her head. Her cheeks became warm. Dongwoon suddenly raised his head. As an instinct, she averted her gaze to else where. Since then, the way of Eunnie looking at Dongwoon changed and she confirmed her butterflies feeling to him was true.

 

Dongwoon walked on the empty street at a midnight at weekend. Someimes he would do that as he missed Eunnie too much that couldn’t sleep. Following where his feet brought him, he arrived at the park between their homes. As it was already 2 at night, the park was quiet and empty. He sat on the swing and stared at blank. Suddenly, there was voice from the entrance of the park. He walked to there to take a peek of what happen. “I said no!” Until he heard a familiar voice, he knew that he had to sped up.

This night, Eunnie just arrived to Busan after watching Bigbang concert in Seoul. As the concert was ended at a pretty late time, plus the travel time from Seoul, she arrived her town at midnight. Her companion lived at other district, so she had to go home alone. She was a bit worried at first but was all fine. She had never imagined her journey was not that smooth when she arrived the park.

“Hey girl, are you going home alone? I can be you companion.” Two gangsters stood in front of her, looking at her with hungry gaze, just like the predator looking at their prey. The park was empty that amplified her terror. Facing this type of people, however, couldn’t show how much she was afraid of them. No matter how Eunnie moved left and right, trying to pass through them, the gangsters would block her way. “Why in such a hurry? Let’s play.” One of the gangs held her hand.

“I said no!” Eunnie shook to escape but he was much stronger than her.

Dongwoon saw Eunnie was surrounded by the gangsters. He had no time to process what he was saying and shouted, “Jagiya!” The three in front of him quickly turned and looked at him. When the gangs were still confusing, Dongwoon hid Eunnie behind him. She knew that Dongwoon called her like was trying to save her. He could know how afraid Eunnie was from the shivering hands that gripped his shirt into balls at the sides of his waist. “What do you want to do to my girlfriend?” He stared hardly to the two gangs. Even though he was so frightened because he didn’t know what they might do to him, he had to be brave to save his crush.

“Tsk. No fun with boyfriend.” Luckily their interest to her was turned down due to the appearance of Dongwoon. Even the gangs had left, Eunnie still gripped on his waist tightly.

“It’s okay now~” Dongwoon ruffled her head, speaking softly. Eunnie looked at him with tears in her eyes, and hugged him tightly. Their bodies stuck so close and her face stuck on his chest. Dongwoon was shocked at first but he still hugged her back, ruffling her back to comfort her. They didn’t have the thought of letting go of each other and wished the time could stop. Eunnie could always stay calm whenever Dongwoon comforted her.

“Luckily you are here…” She spoke softly that was almost inaudible. But Dongwoon could hear it clearly

“Babo…” It was so rare for Dongwoon to hear Eunnie’s soft voice. His heart skipped a beat every time when he heard it. The corner of his lips would also raised involuntarily.

“You are always here whenever I need you… gomawo…”

“Um. Let’s send you back.” Dongwoon pulled away reluctantly. During the whole journey to her home, she linked her arms with him, scaring there might be other bad guys that would come out somewhere. Dongwoon just smiled like a fool as he looked at how cute she was. “Yah you should ask something to send you home at this late hour. I will pick up the phone anytime you know.” Dongwoon looked at her.

“Oh right, why are you wandering around the street at this late time?"

"Coz… I can't sleep."

"Why? I've told you not to drink too much iced americano!" Eunnie smacked Dongwoon's arm. Normally he must whined in pain, but this time he smiled sweetly.

"What? Caring about me?" He leaned very close to the girl. Eunnie blushed and averted her gaze.

"You just think too much." Without knowing, they had arrived Eunnie's home. Dongwoon slowed his steps intentionally. But they had finally arrived. Before Dongwoon left after their farewell, Eunnie grabbed his hand. He turned with shock, and melted as Eunnie looked at him so worriedly.

"Um?"

"Will you get ambushed by the gangs just now…?" She was so scared that Dongwoon may get hurt, which she didn't want. The boy laughed loudly.

"You care about me so much." Knowing Eunnie cared about him, he cou;dn't hide his joy.

"Just because you have just saved me…" She siad with pout. Looking at the cute Eunnie in front of him, the intention of hugging him was so huge. Actually Eunnie wanted to always lean on him . Both of them had the crush on other , but they were so scared to confess as they didn't want to lose each other as friends.

"I send you message when I arrive home." Eunnie let him go at the end. When Dongwoon was home, he took a selfie to Eunnie and she changed it as his incoming call picture. Both of them fell a sleep as they keep texting.

 

The feeling of Eunnie to Dongwoon escalated and reached the critical point of wanting to tell him. During lunch time, Dongwoon passed her classroom. "Yah Son Dongwoon."

"Um?"

"I want to tell you something."

"Just say it." This time Eunnie hesitated. She was not hesitating her love to him, it was the problem of losing him after confession.

"Act… actually… I like… I think I like…"

"You like a pig? Yeah you finally realize." Dongwoon , but her worried face never faded. At this instant, Dongwoon realized that she was trying to say something important. Just when Eunnie had gathered enough courage to continue...

"Eunnie!" The calling was from Eunnie's back. It was from the one who she had wished to be called by before. She turned and saw the source of the calling. He was the one that Eunnie didn't want to see the most.

"Seungyoon ar…" Seungyoon was holding a red rose in his hands and marched to the girl. It was so obvious that he was going to confess. Dongwoon's heart sank to his stomach. He left quietly when Eunnie had turned to Seungyoon. He knew that Eunnie would soon be leaving him, not going back home with him, not playing with him, and didn't need him anymore.

"Eunnie I want to give this to you. Please be my girlfriend!" Seungyoon finally said it out loud. Eunnie widened her eyes. She was shocked that was not by Seungyoon's confession, it was because she didn't want Dongwoon to witness the whole incident. When she turned, the place where Dongwoon had stood was completely empty.

"Seungyoon ar… I…"
 

From that day onward, Dongwoon didn't wait for Eunnie by the school gate anymore. Even though she had anticipated everyday, she was disappointed every day. But Eunnie never gave up. She keep sending message to Dongwoon, asking him out. Dongwoon would only reject with the reason of she had to have date with Seungyoon.

After a week, Eunnie left the school as normal and she saw Dongwoon was waiting by the school gate. Just when Eunnie approached him excitedly, Eunji, her classmate approached him quicker. She stopped her steps as the smile on his face spread so wide and they slowly disappeared from her vision. Her heart was like being thrown on the ground and stepped hard on it. Too painful that she had to cover her chest with her hand. "Having crush on someone was just too painful…" She said to herself and tears fell down uncontrollably.

 

"We should talk." It was another week after Eunnie saw Dongwoon and Eunji together. She couldn't bear with the growing curiosity. Although she knew that she was no one to ask him about the relation between him and Eunji, she thought she couldn't sit there and do nothing.

"How can I bother your date with Seungyoon?"

"See you at the park at 10."

Dongwoon arrived at the park at the mentioned time. "Why did you avoid me lately?" Eunnie stared at Dongwoon and asked.

"I didn't. I just don’t want to be the third wheel."

"I have rejected Seungyoon." Dongwoon couldn't believe what Eunnie had just said. He widened his eyes and looked at the girl that in front of him and still occupied the largest part of his heart.

"Why? You have been waiting for him for so long?"

"Because…" Eunnie knew that this was her one and only chance. "Because I love you!" At that instant, silence engulfed the two. This was expected by Eunnie though. She knew that Dongwoon couldn't return the same feeling to her. She also knew she might losing this friend. But before her confession, Dongwoon had distanced himself to her, so she had nothing to lose. "I know you don't feel the same way... It's okay... I just… want to express my feeling... so you don't have to put this on heart." Eunnie squeezed her smile and tears rolling in her eyes as she said. After that, she turned and left. The fact that Eunnie thought that Dongwoon was not loving her made his heart ached. After hearing her confession, if he still chose to stay silent, he would be a real coward.

Dongwoon chased behind her and back-hugged her tightly. "Babo… How could you say the things that I have been wanting to say." Eunnie turned and confirmed it was Dongwoon that hugged her who smile like a fool again. Eunnie blushed and couldn't look at him.

"But you and Eunji…"

"We are just childhood friend, completely innocent." Eunnie looked at Dongwoon and couldn't imagine that their feeling was mutual but she couldn't realize that. "Thanks for confessing and not giving up on me." Dongwoon held her face and kissed on her lips. From that day onward, their relation was changed from friends to couple.