There's No Eternity

Prelude: Voice

Eunnie and Dongwoon lived in the same district since they were small. Dongwoon lived at the right side of the park in the district, while Eunnie lived at the left. They were very close friend  as they sat next two each other for years since middle school. Although their genders were different, they would chat about everything. Eunnie only saw Dongwoon as her friend, but Dongwoon was different. He had a crush on her since the second year of middle school. To the maximum of his luck, Eunnie was single since then. Although her admirers had asked Dongwoon for help, he never answered, or even insulated the admirers from her. On Eunnie’s side, she never cared about anything about relationship as she put all her focus on studying. This was the second year of their high school. They were in separate classes and Dongwoon could not protect her anymore. But he rushed to the school gate everyday after school, hoping to see Eunnie and go back home with her.

 

Dongwoon waited Eunnie by the school gate as usual. He saw her approaching from the far. The sunshine was shining on her, making her shined like goddess.

“Yah you are here again? Shouldn’t you go date other girls after school instead of standing here?”Eunnie said when she saw Dongwoon was waiting for her again.

“Um~ let’s go back.”Dongwoon replied. Although Eunnie had no clue on why Dongwoon stood by the school gate everyday, having a companion back home was a good thing to her.

“Here you go.”He nonchalantly gave her a bottle of banana milk.

“How do you know I want to drink now?!”Eunnie gladly took the bottle and gulped it down.

"I bought two because they sell 2000 won for two and 1500 won for one." Actually Dongwoon knew Eunnie loved banana milk, so he wanted to give her a little surprise.

"Oh by the way, do you know Kang Seungyoon? He should be your classmate." Dongwoon's heart sunk in a second. It was unusual for Eunnie to mention a boy, unless she hoped to get some info of the boy from Dongwoon, which was also the time that she was interested in someone.

"Um… Wae yo?" Dongwoon tried to suppress the disappointment in his voice. Luckily, Eunnie was not able to catch any.

"Well… He seems like.. I don't know… other people say that he is interested in me and trying to woo me."

"Um.. Geurae?" Dongwoon was taken aback.

"Nae! I wasn't paying much attention at first, but he always comes to me and chat with me…" Eunnie keep listing all the actions that Seungyoon did to her. Obviously it was the common techniques a boy would use to woo a girl. Looking at how excited she talked about Seungyoon, Dongwoon's heart cracked and feeling suffocated by second. To prevent his heart broke completely, he looked to the other side for the bus.

"Get on." He pushed Eunnie to go on the bus when it arrived.

“Hey I have said so many things, did you listen to me?”

“Um~ Hold tight.”As the bus was so crowded, Dongwoon used his body to block all the other people from Eunnie. But she didn’t know and whined why he was standing so close to her. The bus suddenly turned without slowing its speed.He pulled her into his embrace. Since the centrifugal force was so large and she didn’t hold on any handle, Eunnie hugged Dongwoon tightly. After the turn, she looked up and met Dongwoon’s gaze. “Oh sorry. Are you okay?”Dongwoon gently asked. Eunnie only blushed and averted her gaze, staying silent…

 

In the following week, the news of Seungyoon dating Eunnie had spread across the whole school. This was because Seungyoon was being so obvious of his intention in every act that he did to her. Not only that, Eunnie also kept asking Dongwoon about Seungyoon’s preference. “Actually Seungyoon like girls who can cook. Bring your food for him after the cooking class tomorrow.”Dongwoon said nonchalantly when they were having lunch at the canteen.

“But we will make Ddoukbokkie tomorrow. You always say you want to eat.”

“You want him to be happy right? I am cool for that.”

“No regret? We may not making this anymore.”Indeed, Dongwoon had whined to Eunnie for a long time that he wanted to make the ddoukbokkie that she made since last year. Eunnie also planned to give the food to Dongwoon to try. But she knew that her best friend was doing this for her happiness.

“Um~ It is not a must for me to eat that.”Dongwoon shifted his focus back to his meal. Giving up anything about her made him suffered from the tearing pain of his heart.

“Remember what you’ve said. Gomawo!”Eunnie continued on her meal, not noticing the change of Dongwoon’s mood. No. She had never noticed Dongwoon even though he was close to her, not even once.

 

After the cooking class, Eunnie filled two boxes with Ddoukbokkie. The blue one was for Seungyoon, and the purple one was Dongwoon. “Don’t say that I only take care of Seungyoon.” She stuffed the purple box to Dongwoon when she saw him after school.

“Um~ But it looks like bio weapons… Do you want to kill me?”He and looked at the red rice cake.

“Just try it first.” Dongwoon tried the rice cake immediately. Although it was not very tasty, Dongwoon felt so sweet as this was the very first time for him to taste the food that she made. “How was it?” She asked nervously.

“I don’t even want to swallow it. But I finished them all so I ate them all.” He joked and Eunnie pouted, not even feeling happy with the joke.

“He must have the same feeling too…” By this time, Dongwoon finally realized that he was actually sharing this rice cake with Seungyoon. No, not sharing, he was only the guinea pig. But to support her, he had to hide his sad feeling in the bottom of his heart.

“Um… actually it’s no bad.” He ruffled her hair to comfort her, but she dodged.

“Yah don’t mess my hair!”

“Hehe what if I insist?”Dongwoon chased after Eunnie and laughed.