Today, Still

Prelude: Voice

“Out!” Eunnie screamed excitedly. Dongwoon and Eunnie were playing badminton in the indoor sport complex in their district tonight. Originally they planned to book an earlier section  but it was full, which made them had to book the section before closing.

"Aigoo… You win again." Dongwoon pouted.

"Coz I'm  talented." Eunnie proudly said. Looking at her proud face, Dongwoon really wanted to pinch her cute face.

"Tsk, I don't believe I can't beat you. Betting for a popsicle?"

"Popsicle and booking fee."

"Call." Actually Dongwoon was not that good at sports, he knew that he would be lost. However, they enjoyed bickering with each other, so he started the bet. After a full set of game, Dongwoon lost to her by 6 points and it was also time of their booking. They went to the convenience store next to the sports complex.

"A ssa! Popsicle!" Eunnie looked over the freezer and picked up watermelon flavour one. After Dongwoon had paid for their popsicles, she couldn't wait and started to eat the cold and sweet food.

"Be going now! Thanks for it!" Eunnie bided her goodbye to him.

"Wait, let me send you home." Dongwoon suggested. The sports complex was near Dongwoon's house. Although they were living in the same district, the walking distance of their homes was about 10 minutes. He was so worried about her as it was almost the midnight, the streets were dark and quiet.

"It's ok, I would be arrived soon. Go back and bath, you smell stink. Bye~" With that, Eunnie turned and left. He knew that she would reject him if he insisted, so he just let her be. Eunnie plugged in her earphones, holding the rack with one hand and eating the popsicle with other hand. Even after few minutes, she never realized that  Dongwoon was following her in about 50 meters behind her.

"Babo… Completely neglect that someone was following you… what if it was a bad guy…" Dongwoon said softly. Suddenly, Eunnie stopped and turned at the traffic light. He immediately hid in a dark back street. She was looking for the rubbish bin to dispose her popsicle stick. The boy came out when Eunnie turned around again. A relieving sigh was let out when she arrived her apartment building. Even though it was already 1 at midnight that he would be scolded by his mum, nothing else was important as he could see Eunnie got back home safely.

 

“Dongwoon-ar, I will go first!” Once the tutorial class on Saturday had finished, Eunnie stuffed all her things into her bag. Normally Dongwoon would go back with her, but today she seems to be in extra hurry.

“Um~ You must be hurrying to your date with Seungyoon, right?”even though it might be the fact and would hurt him, he had to act like a friend and friend only.

“Of course not! Today is Bigbang’s first broadcast after coming back. I have to watch the live!” After knowing it was not Seungyoon, Dongwoon let out an inaudible sigh.

“You must be going to a date right? Wearing a leather jacket to tutorial.” Eunnie elbowed him and smirked. Dongwoon did wear a leather jacket to the class for Eunnie, not for other girls. It was because one day when he sent her home after school, she praised  two tall, fit men who wore leather jacket. So Dongwoon also wore it intentionally for her praise.

“Um. Just go back.”

“K, see you on Monday!” When Eunnie had gone, Dongwoon looked at his leather jacket. Sure that were a lot of girls looking at him as he was extra charm with it, the girl he loved did not. He laughed sarcastically and packed his things. He was shocked by a familiar back view when he arrived the lobby of the building. Eunnie was still standing at the door, looking at the big rain outside.

“So good that you are waiting for me.” He stopped next to her and could clearly see the frown on her forehead. The feeling of protecting her suddenly grew.

“It rains so suddenly… the observatory didn’t say it… I am gonna be late… Do you have an umbrella?”She looked at him with hope in her eyes. But he didn’t, and Eunnie sighed. It made his heart ached harder as he couldn’t help her when she was in need. He dropped his head and an idea struck into his head.

"Let's go." Dongwoon took off his leather jacket and raised it above the two, make sure that their body trunks would not be wet. He shaded Eunnie's side more, not letting her get wet and not care all his arm and shoulder were wet. They ran to their home in the rain. It was a new experience to Eunnie, just like the scene in drama. When they stopped at the first traffic light, which was red, she noticed that his arm was all wet. So she took over the jacket on her side and circled her arm around his waist so that he could stand closer to her. His cheek painted in pink eventually. This was their closest distance and was very rare even though they always had lots of skinship.

"It's green!" Eunnie nudged him at his waist to pull Dongwoon back to reality. They continued to run and he put his hand on her shoulder naturally. He couldn't stop to take peeks of her. The exciting smile always hanged on her pretty face that made him also smiled involuntarily. Close distance, being hugged by her, her smile and scent, everything made Dongwoon's heart beat so fast that almost burst.

However the journey to their home was short. Dongwoon knew that he may not be able to be that close to Eunnie, but he would definitely remember this feeling forever. After he sent her back to the lobby of her apartment, she stopped Dongwoon from going. "Come up and I will make your clothe dry, otherwise you will be sick." He nodded without thinking too much. If it was a chance to stay with her longer, he would definitely say yes. Her home was nowhere foreign to Dongwoon as he would be visited to her place for discussing project sometimes. Her parents were no place to see when he entered the house.

"Where's your parent?" Dongwoon asked curiously.

"They left me and went to Seoul. Coming back on Monday." Knowing Eunnie was alone he was invited to her house, Dongwoon blushed hard again. Although it was impossible to happen anything, it was natural for a young boy like him would over-think. Eunnie soaked the water on his jacket with a towel. The corner of her eyes caught Dongwoon was still standing with his eyes widened. "Why haven't you took your cloth off? Wanna get sick?" She waved her hand in front of him, pulling him back to reality. Dongwoon took off his white t-shirt at once, showing off the hidden, well-built body of his. She averted her gaze as she was staring at him blankly originally. It was her turn to get blushes on her face. She threw a large towel to his body. "I… I go to… dry your tee first…" Eunnie picked up the cloth on the floor and rushed to the toilet. Her blushes could be clearly seen. Dongwwon just stood there and smiled to himself, at least he was also able to make her blush like that. She realized how red her face was when she saw the mirror in the toilet. After putting the cloth inside the dryer, she fanned herself hard, hoping her blush would be disappeared soon.

"It's Bigbang now, ain't you coming out?" Dongwoon shouted from living room. Eunnie ran out from the toilet. His heart beat increased by seconds as he was looking how  she concentrated on the TV and chanted.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" He had been staring her for the whole stage without his knowing. Eunnie looked at him confusingly. Looking at the girl that he had crush on for so many years, this was a perfect timing for him to confess.

"Actually I…" He started slowly. The fear of losing her after confessing suddenly engulfed his bravery. He knew that if he didn't confess now, she might be claimed in a near future. But he also understood that this feeling was bilateral and their current relation was just too good. He opened and closed his mouth a few time, no words coming out. Luckily, the beep sound from the dryer had saved him. She went back to the toilet to collect the cloth and gave it to Dongwoon, along with an umbrella.

"If it wasn't you, I won't be able to watch the live. Thank you so much!" Eunnie bided her farewell to him.

"Um. See you on Monday." After that, Dongwoon turned and left. He sighed on his journey back to home, scolding how a coward he was. It was not his first time of stopping his confession. Even though outside was still raining heavy and Eunnie had lend him an umbrella, he chose not to use it. He hoped the rain could wash away his regret and feeling to her, which was completely impossible and useless.