Prologue

Cordolium
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[The featured lyrics are from the song titled "Hymn For The Missing" by RED]

I tried to walk together

But the night was growing dark

Thought you were beside me

But I reached and you were gone

“Cold,” Changkyun muttered as he tugged on the hem of his sleeves further, long enough to mostly cover his hands, with the exception of the tip of his fingers that were left poking out. It felt delicate and smooth to the touch, the cotton pullover he was wearing, if a little flabby from being perpetually stretched. It was among one of the articles of clothing he owned which he so dearly treasured, a hand-knitted gift specially made by his mother in pristine white before he left to pursue his dream almost two years ago.

The pullover itself, better known as a sweater to some people, was a constant memory of home – warm, comforting and secure – despite it being a little too small now to fit him properly and seemed a little worn due to the initial hue that has since dulled; but he did not mind it in the slightest. It reminded him that there were people in his life who awaited his return, his friends and family, and that was all he needed to get by.

He shivered as a gust of brisk, piercing night-wind that slipped through the white curtain occasionally brushed against his exposed skin, leading him to instinctively warming himself by rubbing his arms up and down to soothe the emanated goosebumps. The cold was bitter and numbing, the stinging bites which left a mark that was beyond flesh deep, seeping into his bones and veins easily. It did not help matters that the top he chose to put on that night was paired with a pair of plain white shorts that barely covered up his knees.

Changkyun did not bother coming back into the room to grab his blanket – the one which he had folded and laid it on his bed but forgot to take it with him when he came out into the living room earlier – as the piping, creaking noise of the hinges whenever the door was opened and shut closed would no doubt disturb the other three fast asleep members whom he shared the room with, and that was the last thing he wanted especially this late at night when he was supposed to be in bed hours ago.

They have had quite a long day at practice and by the time their manager had driven them back to the dorm, all seven of them were downright exhausted and weakened that they could barely get to their respective beds. He was the last one to hit the shower as per usual, more than content on letting the others wash up first before he did so himself, as he sat down on the couch and waited for them to finish. Ergo, he was not at all surprised to find that all of the hot water had been used up either.

It was a relatively average-sized apartment complex – the dorm which they were currently living in – located on the twelfth floor and came with three rooms and a single bathroom along with a small kitchen and a living room. Due to one of the rooms was slightly bigger than the others, the master bedroom, it was decidedly appropriate to accommodate four people while the remaining three took up a smaller one right next to it. The last and smallest room was soon made into a working area mainly for music composition.

The eldest and most predominantly self-reliant members – Shownu, Wonho and Kihyun – decided to room together which placed Minhyuk, Hyungwon, Jooheon and himself in a somewhat awkward and difficult situation to be in. Being the youngest as well as the last one to join the group, Changkyun naturally let his other involuntary roommates to choose their beds and put away their things before he settled for the only available spot left; the top bunk above Hyungwon's.

He was never really an intense, vociferous individual and therefore being light on his feet had been a second nature to him when he moved around within the close proximity of the other members, especially when he needed to climb up and down the bunk bed. Regardless of that, he was often moderately hesitated to walk into the room, which he did only when necessary, fearing that his entrance would interrupt whatever conversation that the others were having.

None of them truly let their guard down in his presence, if the tense atmosphere and multiple exchange of glances towards each other every so often could not be more obvious of a tell-tale implication to what the members thought about him, whether or not he makes the first move to make amends and conciliate them in any way possible. As much as he loathed to admit it, it was getting beyond draining, both mentally and physically.

Are you lost?

Will I find you again?

Are you alone?

Are you afraid?

Changkyun absent-mindedly began to shift in his seat, still too abstracted with his thoughts, bef

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter