Nine - The White Paladins

The White King

Jiae absentmindedly played with her fingers. They were on their way to the Yellow Empire. Kyungsoo informed Jiae that their journey would only take a day or two. Because Jiae was still injured, Kyungsoo had suggested to travel in a carriage instead of their horses. He had paid someone to deliver their horses to the little cabin he had prepared for the Yoo siblings. Sehun seemed to have already reached there and had buried Jiwoo behind the house.

Jiae was still grieving over Jiwoo’s death. She could not help it. Jiwoo had been the only light in her dark world. Her heart clenched in pain every time she thought about her brother. But she did not cry. She did not want to because she knew Jiwoo would want her to be strong for him, for them. He would want her to live the life he could not.

To her left sat the White King. He was reading some book that Jiae did not understand. She was not as literate compared to others her age. Before she was bought by the association, she did not even know how to read. Slaves were not given the privilege to be knowledgeable. And when she entered the association, they had only taught her to read basic words that were needed in her future missions.

Jiwoo was the smarter one. Because he was in the intelligence group, they had taught him to read and write. He could read books that were so thick Jiae almost had a headache watching him enjoy the book. She could have asked Jiwoo to teach her a word or two, but she was too busy going on missions to do so.

Jiae’s eyes trailed up to the person holding the book and saw that he had been watching her. The sides of his lips tilted up as he gave her a warm smile. It was like his smile was contagious, as Jiae could not help but to return one of hers.

“Are you bored?” Kyungsoo broke the silence in the carriage.

Jiae was indeed bored. This was the first time she was travelling when she was not on a mission. As she would have to be alert all the time on her missions, time seemed to move quickly. But now that she was totally free, she did not know what to do. Chatting with Kyungsoo sounded like a great idea.

Her eyes flickered to Sujeong who was sitting opposite them. Said girl was also reading a book and she was paying no attention to them. But Jiae knew Sujeong would be listening in their conversation and felt uncomfortable at that thought. She had nothing against Sujeong, but she did not want to open up to her yet.

“No, I’m okay. I’m going to get some rest.” Jiae told him and he nodded, the smile never leaving his face.

When Kyungsoo shifted his attention back to his book, Jiae stared at the lady sitting in front of her. She felt a little bad for sitting beside Kyungsoo. Jiae felt like Sujeong was the one who should be at his side, not her. And now it looked like Kyungsoo and her were closer instead. But it seemed like Sujeong did not cared who sat beside who.

Closing her eyes, she tried to get some shut eye. Her injury was still stinging, and she needed to rest enough to recover quickly.

Sujeong looked up from her book as she massaged her stiff neck. She saw that her best friend was engrossed in his book as his eyes darted from right to left at a quick pace. Jiae, who was sitting beside him, was already sleeping. She looked like a little porcelain doll. Everything about Jiae was small, even her facial features. And her black hair only emphasized her fair complexion.

Jiae started nodding off and soon her head landed on the only thing that could support it: Kyungsoo’s shoulder. Kyungsoo felt something resting on him and saw that Jiae was in a deep sleep. Her lips were slightly parted as she breathed steadily. Scooting closer to her so that her neck would not be at an awkward angle, he rested her head at the crook of his neck. when he ensured that she was in a good position, he went back to his book.

Sujeong had watched the interaction between them. Kyungsoo was a King who cared about others even if they were strangers. He was a kind King who wanted to help everyone. But there was something in his eyes that Sujeong had never seen before. He had never shown such an emotion even at his happiest moments. The emotion he had was beyond kindness. Even he had not looked at Sujeong like that before. And it worries her.

It was not because she was jealous. No, it was nothing like that. Sujeong never had romantic feelings for her best friend. But she was worried because Jiae was still considered a mystery. Jiae might be one of the pieces, but she does not know that, and Sujeong does not trust her completely. She liked Jiae. But liking someone and trusting someone was two different things.

Looking out of the window, Sujeong saw some familiar buildings and knew they had just entered the territories of the Yellow Empire. For generations, the Yellow King and the White King always had a good relationship, and that goes the same for the current Kings. The trio had visited the current Yellow King a couple of times.

“Let’s rest at Qounlo for the night.” Kyungsoo closed his book. Sujeong nodded and told coachman about their plan. The sun was setting and Kyungsoo did not want to travel in the night, not when Jiae was still injured.

Jiae shifted a little in her sleep. The warmth emitting from the object she was resting on made her comfortable. Wait, warm?

Opening her eyes, she saw her vision was not straight, or rather she was leaning onto something. A light pink hue appeared on her cheeks as she sat up right. She knew who she was leaning on without even looking. It was no wonder she felt that certain ‘something’ familiar.

Kyungsoo chuckled at her actions before clearing his throat. “Welcome to Qounlo.”

Qounlo? Looking out of the window, she saw that they were in a town. The citizens of the town were smiling brightly while chatting with one another. Lanes full of shops were opened as the owner of the shops tried to attract potential customers. Children were chasing each other as happy giggles erupted from their small bodies. Jiae could not help but to feel sad. This was different from what she was used to seeing in the Red Empire. The people here looked happy and free. And it could have been Jiwoo and her.

Jiae had been to many places. But she had never set foot into Qounlo before.

“It’s amazing, isn’t it?” Kyungsoo spoke and she nodded, her gaze still focused on the view in front of her. “The Yellow King is a good person and a good friend of mine.”

Jiae silently agreed that the Yellow King was a good person. Only a good King would be able to make his people free of worries.

“We are here.” Sujeong announced the same time the carriage came to a stop. They went out of the carriage and entered the inn. A guy standing behind the reception counter looked towards the door when he saw the group.

“Mr Do! How nice to see you again! And you look lovely as well Ms Ryu!” The man enthusiastically greeted them. Jiae could tell that Kyungsoo and Sujeong frequently patronized this inn.

“It’s good to see you again, Blue.” They greeted the man.

Jiae wanted to ask what kind of name was ‘Blue’ when she noticed said man was staring at her. Blue then leaned closer to Kyungsoo. “Where did you kidnap this gorgeous lady? Do you think they have more ladies like her over there?” Blue jokingly whispered but Jiae could hear everything. Feeling a little uncomfortable, she stood behind Kyungsoo, using the man as a shield from Blue.

“We would like two rooms, Blue.” Kyungsoo said.

“Ah yes! I will immediately get two VIP rooms ready!” Blue scribbled something on his book before passing Kyungsoo two different keys. “Please, have some dinner first while waiting for the rooms. I assume you would like to order the usual?” Kyungsoo nodded and Blue excitedly led them into the diner.

Jiae wondered if Blue was always this happy.

As the three of them took a seat, Jiae studied her surroundings. It was a simple diner with a homely feel to it. There were a few tables occupied with customers.

“Gran makes the best chicken stew. You will love it.” Sujeong told Jiae.

Just then, a waiter came with three bowls of chicken stew and a basket of bread. Jiae took a sip of the chicken stew. Sujeong was right. Jiae loved it. The stew was flavourful and the seasoning was just right. It made her stomach warm and satisfied.

After dinner, the group went up to the second floor at the end of the hallway. Jiae and Sujeong shared a room while Kyungsoo had the other. Jiae sat on the bed after her bath, absentmindedly the soft duvet. She never thought that in this life, she would get to touch something so soft. Her mind trailed to Kyungsoo and remembered the feel of his silky locks.

“What are you thinking about?” Jiae jumped up a little at the sudden voice. Looking to her right, Sujeong was already on the bed, tucking herself in. Jiae should have noticed Sujeong coming out of the bathroom and getting in the bed beside her. But for the first time, she was so focused on something else that she did not.

Mentally cursing herself for being so careless, she laid down beside Sujeong. It was not like Jiae was being cautious around the older female. Jiae knew that Kyungsoo wants to protect her, and Sujeong listens to him. But she could not help to be alert when she was without her man in white. He was the only one she could put her complete trust in at the moment.

“Try to get some sleep. We have an early day tomorrow.” Sujeong told her.

Jiae shut her eyes and tried to fall asleep. But when she closed her eyes, all she could think about was Jiwoo. She wanted to be in the Yellow Empire now to see with her own eyes that Sehun had buried Jiwoo properly. That was the only thing she could do for Jiwoo right now. But it was not like she could just teleport there.

The ticking of the clock could be heard loudly in the silent room. It took less than 10 minutes for Jiae to hear the steady breathing of Sujeong. Jiae wanted to get some shuteye, but her mind was wide awake with many different thoughts. The main worry she had now was whether she actually had the luxury to sleep peacefully.

She did not know how Kyungsoo managed to take Jiwoo and her away from the association, but she was sure the association would be tracking her down. She would be on the association’s top list and every assassin would want her head. And if her fellow assassins were out there searching for her, that means that Kyungsoo and Sujeong were in danger as well.

Jiae did not doubt Kyungsoo’s abilities to hide her from the world, but she did not want to risk any chance that her man in white would be in danger because of her.

Getting up from the bed as quietly as she could, she wore a jacket and took one of her katanas with her. She exited the room silently. Looking down the hallway, she saw that there was a balcony. A gentle breeze from the balcony welcomed her as she made her way towards it. Climbing onto the railings of the balcony, she easily got onto the roof. The top of the roof was flat, and she wanted to sit down when she saw someone on the roof, his back towards her.

She had only known him for a few days, but she could already memorize the view of him from behind. “Kyungsoo.” Her words were barely a whisper, but it was loud enough for him to hear her in the silent night.

The White King heard a familiar voice called out to him and just as he was about to turn around to greet her, she sat beside him. They gave each other a smile. Jiae stretched as she took in the cold, refreshing air.

“What are you planning to do after you have settled down in the Yellow Empire?” Kyungsoo asked, staring into the vast sky in front of him. Many tiny stars twinkled in the night as occasional clouds passed by.

Jiae shrugged her shoulders. She really did not know what to do. She had intended to live peacefully with her brother, but now that he was gone, she felt like there was not a reason for her to look forward to her remaining days.

“What if I told you that you could save many children that were like you and your brother?” Kyungsoo looked at her and her head snapped towards him.

“What do you mean?”

“I know that whatever I am going to say would be a lot to process, but I do not want to keep anything from you if I am planning to keep you by my side.” Kyungsoo now had his body facing her. “I am the White King. Just like the Red King, I am a King. But we call ourselves the White Paladins.”

Jiae thought she was hearing things. That was the first time she ever heard that a White King existed. But she also knew that there was no reason for Kyungsoo to lie to her.

“The White Empire was always shifting. There was no land for us, and we isolate ourselves from others. The White Empire was where the people were. Yet, the Gods kept insisting that there would always be a White King. That was because only the White King has the power to neutralise the clash between the other Kings. We were the only ones who can make peace.”

Kyungsoo took out the white key that was hiding behind his shirt. A bright white light surrounded the key, but yet the light rays were gentle to the eye. Jiae recognised the key. It was the King’s key to present that the owner was indeed one of the Kings. She had seen it in one of Jiwoo’s many books.

“However, I am not able to do so just yet. I need the help of my retainers and they are not just any random people that I recruited. They need to have a birthmark of an animal.”

“But what has that got to do with me?” Jiae asked, confused at where Kyungsoo was going.

“Don’t you have a mark of an animal on your hip?”

It was then Jiae recalled that she had such a thing on her. All she could remember for the longest time was the mark of a slave. Her butterfly was one of the things she was proud of because she did not know anyone else who had such a beautiful mark on their body. Yet, those people had to mark her with the slave mark right above her birthmark.

“I’m.. one of those retainers?”

“Pieces. We call them pieces. And yes, I believe so.”

Jiae let the information sink into her. Her man in white was a King, he had the ability to create world peace, but he could only do so if she joins him.

“I know that it seems like I am only using you, and the truth is, maybe I am. But I know that I really need your help. I don’t need your help to kill. I need you to protect the citizens I am not able to protect with your skills. There might be a day where an innocent person might get hurt because of me, and I do not want that to happen.”

I might be able to save someone. I can finally use my two hands to protect someone who does not deserved to get dragged into this mess. And.. Jiae searched into Kyungsoo’s eyes. I can protect him. He, who had kept his promise to someone like me.

“I want to help you keep your promise to change the world. Just like how you fulfilled your promise to me. I am still confused, but I want to do this. I want to save innocent people like Jiwoo. That’s the least I could do to redeem myself from all the killings I’ve done.”

Kyungsoo let out a breath of relief, before the sides of his lips tilted up into a smile. He opened his palm towards her and she stared at it for a few seconds before placing her hand in his. Kyungsoo slipped the white key in between their hands and closed his eyes as he whispered in another language Jiae did not understand.

A bright light emitted from the key again and this time, it surrounded her as well. The light felt warm to the touch and she felt something unfamiliar flowing into palm, before spreading to the rest of her body. The light soon disappeared and Kyungsoo opened his eyes, happiness evident in his face.

“Welcome to the White Paladins, my little canary.”


Author's Note

How do you like the story so far? I hope it isn't too boring and wordy, though I personally do not like it filled with dialogues >~<

Hehe love you all <3