Five- The Promise

The White King

The sun was hung highly in the sky, indicating that it was around noon. Kyungsoo and Sujeong rode their horses as they followed the carriage that was miles in front of them. Respecting their King’s decision, Sujeong and Sehun followed Kyungsoo as he pursued his little canary.

The carriage was surrounded by at least 10 full grown man, each riding a horse of their own. Kyungsoo had no idea who was in the carriage that needed such protection, but he knew his little canary was inside. Sehun had left to spy on them minutes after the trio entered the café.

The carriage was currently passing by a forest, following the manmade road that led to the other end. This made it easier for Sehun to continue spying on the group. Being trained since young, Sehun was a master in his field. He was taught to be swift and quiet in his movements. And that the most important thing in his life was his King.

At first, Sehun was lagging behind them but he easily caught up and made sure to match the sound of his horse’s footsteps with theirs. He did that to ensure that there would not be a noise that was out of place. Sehun continued to follow loosely behind so that his King would be able to catch up with him.

All of a sudden, Sehun saw something moved from the corner of his eye and slowed his horse. The figure did not seem to care about Sehun as it continued moving. More figures came into view, and he saw they were full grown men wearing dark clothing. As if he was not there, they ignored him and headed for the carriage.

A female jumped out of the carriage and swiftly slashed her katana against the body of the man in dark clothing. She then rolled down to the ground to lessen her impact and got up immediately to attack the next man. At that point, the carriage had stopped moving and the other guards around them started fighting their attackers.

Sehun quickly headed for the trees and hid there. He was shocked at first when he saw how the girl moved. She was as light as a feather, yet her moves were as deadly as a scorpion. All she needed was one chance and her attackers would be dead. She aimed for nothing but the vital points.

Sehun was good in his field, but he did not want to go up against her.

“What’s going on?” Kyungsoo and Sujeong joined him behind the trees but before Sehun could reply his King, he saw her.

His little canary was out there, surrounded by guys taller and stronger than her. Yet she did not seem afraid. Welding a katana in each of her hands, she easily brought the men down like they were a piece of paper. Swinging her blades in her air, the men surrounding her dropped down like flies. Their blood splattered and landed on her, but she did not even flinch when the red liquid made contact with her skin.

Her eyes were as lifeless as the bodies on the ground and Kyungsoo wanted to run to her and bring her away. This was not the canary he saw in his dreams. His canary was smiling and happiness was evident in her eyes. The girl fighting was just moving like a puppet.

Jiae swung her blades a little, flicking off the blood that was on it. Looking around, she realised that she had gotten a bit further from the group. The Royal Guards seemed to be holding up just fine and Yongguk was fighting too.

Just then, a rustle was heard from behind her. Spinning around, she lifted her katana in defence and clashed with another sword. More men in black had arrived and Jiae pushed her katana forward, knocking him back. Jiae saw another one of them charging towards her from her side and was all ready to fight back when a flash of white blur headed towards the second attacker. The guy fell to the ground dead and so did the one in front of her.

Confusion replaced her defences. No one from the Royal Guard was that strong. The person who joined her was skilful in taking down the opponent. His skills were as good as hers, if not better. Looking at who came to her aid, she froze a little. Her surroundings seemed to disappear into nothing as her eyes focused solely on him.

Her man in white was standing there, his usual umbrella in his right hand while a frown was on his face. He slowly went to her and she watched him approached. There was no hostile or blood lust as he made his way to her. All Jiae could feel was comfort, as if she knew that the last thing he would do was to harm her. So, she let him come to her.

Kyungsoo stood two steps away from her. He did not want to invade her personal space since they technically did not know each other. Looking into her orbs, he saw her once lifeless eyes was now filled with emotion. There was confusion but there was no hostility in them. Kyungsoo was glad that she was not like the emotionless puppet he saw just moments ago.

“Are you okay?” He asked as he wiped the blood of her face with a piece of cloth. Jiae did not even flinched when he did that. It was like her body knew him. That was the only explanation Jiae could think up off when she thought about the not-so-stranger stranger standing in front of her.

Remembering that he was facing off two men just now, her eyes searched his body from head to toe. “Yes, what about you?” She softly asked, worried that he might be injured.

Kyungsoo could not hide the smile that crept up to his face when he realised she was concerned for him. There was this hope inside of him, wanting his dreams that she was in to not be just a dream. He wanted the connection he felt with her in his dreams to be real.

“I’m fine as well.” He patted her head. He did not know why he had done something so abrupt that might scare her off. But he just felt like doing that. And Jiae let him. Jiae was not used to anyone but her brother touching her. However, when the man in front of her placed his hand on the top of her head, she felt nothing but safe. It was like his actions were telling her that he was now here to protect her.

“My little canary,” He spoke, and her eyes snapped up to meet his. Her heart did little flip flops when he said the nickname he gave her. “I need to talk to you.”

Fighting sounds from where the carriage was reminded Jiae about the current situation. She needed to go back to where Yongguk was as she was still on her mission. Kyungsoo noticed the dilemma in her eyes as she kept glancing back. “My friends will keep a lookout on them and make sure they are alright.”

Jiae then realised he was not alone. Behind him was a pretty girl who gave her a small smile. Beside the girl was a guy taller than her man in white. He had a pair of piercing gaze as he stared at her. Tearing her eyes away from them, she looked into the brown orbs that she quickly fell in love with. They were like a pool of chocolate that she wanted to swim in.

“I need to talk to you as well.” She admitted, bringing a smile to his face. Gently holding her hand, he led her deeper into the trees and she allowed him to. The duo went out of hearing reach and settled on the ground at a random tree. There were no fighting sounds or people talking. The only thing Jiae could hear was the insects singing and occasional chirping of birds that flew by. It reminded her of the place in her dreams. That thought brought a small smile to her face.

Kyungsoo noticed her smiling and could not help but to do the same. He was contented just seeing her happy. He barely even knew her, and she was already affecting him this much. He faced her, and she responded by doing the same.

“I’m Do Kyungsoo.” He introduced himself first and Jiae repeated his name in her mind for a few times, practising how to pronounce his name so it would not sound awkward when she calls him.

“I’m Yoo Jiae.” She told him. Kyungsoo smiled as he watched her, happy to finally know her name. “We met before, right? It wasn’t just a dream.” Her voice was barely a whisper, as if afraid to know the answer.

Kyungsoo was now certain that they had indeed been in the same dreams together. But he still does not know how it happened and how to make it happen. Kyungsoo can see that she was as confused as him. She wanted an explanation to the bizarre situation, yet he does not have an answer for her. Heck, he was as lost as her.

“I don’t know if it was simply just a dream. But I know that you were always there, wearing a baby blue dress and being surrounded by flowers.” He remembered the countless of dreams he had with Jiae inside.

Jiae nodded. She was right for assuming they recognised each other from their dreams. “You were in mine too. But how did it happen?”

“It wasn’t my doing, if that’s what you are thinking. Is it yours?” He asked warily. He had always wanted to meet Jiae in real life, but the thought that she was coming to him with an ulterior motive made him uncomfortable. He hoped that she was not a spy because he wanted to keep her by his side.

Jiae shook his head to his question. Now she was even more confused than before. How did the both of us ended up in a dream together?

“Why are you here?” Kyungsoo changed the topic, and she quickly avoided his gaze. She had taken a liking to him even when they met in their dreams. He was the first person that had a glimpse of the real her. And she liked the feeling of not shutting everything out. Sometimes, she just wants to feel emotionally. Therefore, she did not want to tell him what she really was, or she will lose him. She knew he would be disgusted.

“I’m on a mission to protect someone.” Jiae selected her words wisely, leaving out other details.

Kyungsoo noticed her reluctance in answering him and felt something was not right. “Are you being forced?” He whispered the last part, afraid to know the answer to his question.

Jiae wanted to deny, but part of the truth was that she was indeed doing this against her will. She did not ask to be born a slave, nor did she wanted to kill anyone. Jiae could have lied to him by saying ‘no’, but somehow, she does not want to hide the truth from him. Kyungsoo understood her silence and reached out to gently placed his hand above hers.

Jiae looked back at him when she felt his hand. His large, warm hand enveloped hers and she folded her fingers around it. It felt so natural to her, like she had done it countless of times. It was a weird feeling for her because she never had someone to concern about her except Jiwoo. And she enjoyed this feeling. A stranger was feeling worried for her.

Someone was finally feeling worried for her.

“I’ve never wanted any of this.” She finally said. His warmth and assurance made her want to pour everything out to him. But she knew now was not the time and place for it. And she could not trust him completely yet.

“I can bring you away.” Kyungsoo offered and felt her hand squeezing his back.

“Really? Even my brother?”

Kyungsoo quickly nodded. He would do anything to save two souls from their sufferings. “We can go far away. You need not need to kill anyone again.” He promised her, and she felt tears welling up in her eyes.

This man had appeared out of nowhere and gave her a chance; a chance to escape the life she has. It all sounded too good to be true. But what choice did she have?

“How do I know I can trust you?” Her gaze dropped down to the ground. She does not know Kyungsoo. Although she knew she could somewhat trust him, she was still unsure. Jiae did not care if anything happened to her, but she does not want her brother to be in the same situation as her. Kyungsoo needed to prove that he can protect Jiwoo.

“I don’t know.” Kyungsoo honestly said. The two of them just met. There was no way Kyungsoo was expecting her to trust him straight away. “But I know that someone your age should not be forced to kill. That is not right. And I want you help you escape from whatever that is holding you back.”

“Then, can I learn to trust you?” Her eyes searched for his.

“Yes,” He promised, with nothing but sincerity in his eyes. “trust me, my little canary. Like how I will choose to trust you too.”

His nickname for her brought a small smile to her face and she looked away in embarrassment. “Okay.” She softly said.

Kyungsoo reached out to twirl a lock of her hair that was tied up in a ponytail. “You don’t have to follow us if you do not want to. I can ensure your safety in the Yellow Empire. You and your brother can start a new life over there.”

Jiae loved his idea. She was sure Jiwoo would as well. Living a normal life was all she ever wanted for Jiwoo, and Kyungsoo was determined to help them. Looking down at their hands that were still attached to each other, she reluctantly pulled out of his grip.

“I need to head back.” She said and stood up. Kyungsoo followed her actions and the both of them wordlessly went back to where Sujeong and Sehun were. The two of them saw their King and Jiae and met them halfway. Jiae gave the duo a nod as a way of thanking them and they replied it with a nod of their own.

Facing Kyungsoo, she started to get a little worried. Somehow, the past few days happened so fast and she did not have to time to let everything sink in. For all she knows, this might be the last time she sees Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo noticed the uneasiness in her and a frown grew on his forehead. Jiae noticed that and her body naturally mimicked his frown. Without thinking, she reached out and gently poked the spot in between his eyebrows and he seemed to relax when she did that.

Satisfied that he had stopped frowning, she let her hand drop to her sides. “How do I contact you?” She asked Kyungsoo.

“Don’t worry about that. I will contact you when the time is right. I assume you stay in the Red Empire?” Kyungsoo asked. The nearest town the carriage was heading to was the Red Empire.

Jiae gave him a short nod. “I’m staying in the association for assassins. It’s at the end of the town.”

Kyungsoo took in her information before giving her a small smile. Reaching out, he placed his hand on the top of her head. “I promise to get you as soon as I can.” He her forehead with his thumb.

Jiae’s heart started beating faster while she stared into his eyes. Kyungsoo’s chocolate orbs were gentle and warm, and it made her feel happy. “I’ll wait for you.” She whispered before reluctantly pulling away and headed to where Yongguk was.

Kyungsoo watched her retreating figure. He did not want her to go back. He did not want her to continue suffering at the place where she was. But he knew now was not the time.

Jiae went nearer to the carriage and she saw a furious Bang Yongguk. “What do you mean by you can’t find her?” His men were all bowing lowly as their leader vented his anger on them. Yongguk saw someone walking towards them at the corner of his eyes and saw that it was Jiae. Relief replaced the anger on his face.

“I’m sorry for making you wait, Sir. I went to search if there were more of them nearby.” Jiae smoothly lied as she bowed in apology.

“Are you okay?” Yongguk asked instead. Jiae stood up straight and gave him a nod. “Good. Let’s continue.” He said and entered the carriage.

On the way back to the Red Empire, Yongguk did not talk to Jiae and the latter was grateful. It allowed her to have some peaceful moments as she thought about what Kyungsoo offered her. She was sure that it was not another dream of hers and that he really wants to help her escape this place. Jiwoo and her would soon have their freedom. All that was left was to plan a backup plan in case the original plan did not go well.

There was no turning back once Jiae decided to step onto the wagon. But Jiae knew she could trust Kyungsoo and was willing to take that risk.


Author's Note