Chapter 1/1

Your Bright Smiles

HaeByeol started off her day like usual.  She woke up at a decent time, got dressed, ate, and brushed her teeth.  She put her hair in a pony tail, and put her bangs on her left side.  She straightened her jacket and picked up her books and bag.  She put the bag strap around her neck, crossing it over her side.  She walked down the stairs and bid her parents goodbye.  Because she's the only child, she feels like she should stay at home and take care of her parents.

Both of her parents are retired and don't have too much money to play around with.  That's another reason why she started tutoring as she takes her classes.  Being excellent at grammar, she decided that would be the best option.  She does want to become a grammar teacher, though. 

She made her way to the community college that was just five minutes away.  She sat down in the waiting room.  Today, she gets to meet a colleague.  She doesn't know who it is, but this person will be training her in the case the college hires her to be a teacher.

The door opened, revealing a woman that says that the person is ready to see her now.  She stood up, and walked into the office.  The door closed behind her, leaving her in the room alone with the person.  She looked at the desk to see a man looking down at some books. 

"You are Miss Shim, right?"  He said as he pushed up his glasses.

"Yes, that is me."  She bowed in respect.

"The director told me that we need to train together."  The man stood up, taking off his reading glasses.

She sat there confused.  "Why?" 

"We are both aspiring teachers.  Since I'm the new math teacher, he wants me to teach you what I have learned, as well as the process."  He explained a bit as he walked around the desk.

She looked at the desk; the nameplate said 'Kim Minseok.'  She smiled and nodded.  She stood up, and followed him out of the office.  They went down an empty hall way.  He suddenly stopped, making her bump into him slightly.

"Sorry, I thought I heard something.."  Minseok said as he looked out of the window. 

She slowly followed his gaze to meet the scene he was watching.  Two boys were arguing to the point their vocal chords may come out.  She didn't understand what there were saying due to the distance and the volume of their voices. 

Minseok shrugged the scene off and walked further down the hallway.  She noticed him turning the corner.  She tried running, but she hasn't quite gotten used to the two-inch heels her mom is making her wear.  Once she caught up, she noticed that he was right outside of a classroom.  She looked up at the sign, and saw it was class two; Advanced Math. 

"You will be assisting me today, okay?"  He looked down at her with a teeth smile.

She nodded, giving a small smile and walking in with him.  She saw that the whole classroom was filled.  Not one seat was empty.  How would I assist him, though?  She had thoughts scrammbled all inside her mind.  Her attention was turned to Minseok when he pointed at the chalk board.  She looked at what it said, and it said her name.

"This is Miss Shim HaeByeol.  Referr to her as Miss Shim.  She is our assistant for today, and probably until the end of the week."  Minseok introduced.  She bowed and smiled at the class.  The class welcomed her in a neutral tone.

She watched as Minseok assigned problems for them to solve.  Her duty was to pass out papers and such.  Since she doesn't major in math, she can't really help them as much as Minseok can.  She did go through algebra courses and such, but she didn't make perfect grades. 

She felt a student tug on her skirt.  "Miss Shim, can you help me with this?"  She asked.  She looked down at the problem.  She smiled when she realized she could actually do this problem.  Step-by-stepping her, the student solved the problem.  The student bowed as HaeByeol continued walking.

Minseok smiled as he watched her teach.  His gaze was stuck on her hair, and how it swayed.  He leaned on the teacher's desk, and watched her walk to the next student.  His mind was brought back to reality when HaeByeol said that everyone was finished.  He gained his posture, and called out the answers, hoping everyone had gotten the right one.

When he saw the hands for each one go up, he was satisfied.  Everyone had gotten them right.  He sighed in content and told them their homework. 

HaeByeol noticed that they've been in the classroom for two hours now.  She didn't realize that he assigned so many math problems.  But she is relieved that everyone had seemed to grasp the concept of today's lesson.  She knows that not every day will be like this, but she kinda is hoping it to be.

After bidding goodbye to the last student, Minseok closed his brief case.  He cracked his neck and stretched his shoulders.  "You did really well, Miss Shim."  He patted her shoulder lightly before he opened the door to leave.

She followed close behind him.  "You can just call me HaeByeol.. If you want.." She spoke, and got a bit scared that she felt her cheeks heat up. 

"Sure, we are on the same level.  Call me Minseok, if you desire."  Minseok said, turning a corner. 

She nodded.  When she saw the exit of the college, she said her goodbye.  She walked all the way back home.  She saw that dinner was just about ready, so she went up to wash up. 

She came back down and sat at the table.

"How was your day?"  Her mother asked.

"The director assigned me with another teacher to train with."  She spoke while picking up her chopsticks.

"Oh?  What's her name?"  She asked before taking some food in .

"His name is Kim Minseok."  HaeByeol smirked before eating.

"OooOoo!  Honey!"  The mother called out in bliss, "Our HaeByeol is going to date a teacher!" 

HaeByeol hit her head on the table...

 


 

Minseok found himself having a dream about HaeByeol.  She was wearing a long, pink dress with a black bow at the button collar.  Her dress was so long, that he didn't see what heels she was wearing.  Her hair was done in a different fashion than what he normally sees.  It's a higher pony tail, showing how long her jet black hair is.  Her bangs were lightly covering her forehead.  Her dress had patterned sleeves.  It was transparant compared to the dress portion, but still hat the pink tone to it. 

She had a bright smile.  It was so bright, it almost hurt looking at it.  She opened to say, "I love you, too."

Minseok woke up. 

He looked from side to side, noticing the sun is piercing through the window just like every other morning.  Today marked the fifth day of meeting HaeByeol.  Today is Friday.  He stood up, and opened the window.  He let the morning breeze fill the room.  He sat down at his desk, looking at the graded homework he finished last night.  His mind wandered to his dream.  He was confused on why he had a dream about her.  And why she was looking so beautiful and saying 'I love you, too.' 

"Does that mean I said it first?"  Minseok thought for a moment.  "But.. I don't like her, do I?" 

He cleared his thoughts as he got ready to go to the college.  He walked into the office, and sat down.  He looked at his shoes that he polished last night.  He saw his reflection in them.

He fixed his hair a bit, and heard the door being knocked on.  After saying the magic two words (Come in), the door opened.  He saw it was HaeByeol.  He stood up and straightened his jacket.  He gave her a smile. 

"Today is the last day, thank you for helping me."  HaeByeol spoke.

Truthfully, Minseok wished that today would last forever.  He wants to spend more time with HaeByeol, but it would look weird for him to ask the director for some more time.  Then it hit him.  What if I say she needs some more training? He asked himself.  He internally nodded and smiled at her.

"Today we have an exam.  You need to help me watch over them."  Minseok said, still having a smile.

She smiled and nodded.  He watched her walk out of the office.  He sat down on the corner of his desk and sighed.  He put on his glasses and picked up his brief case.  He walked out of his office to see her slowly making her way to the classroom.

He sort of complains: the class he teaches in takes five minutes to walk to.  But then again, these are five minutes he can walk along side HaeByeol in silence.  He caught up to her and smiled down at her.

"Will you be the actual teacher for the math class after this?"  HaeByeol started a conversation.

"Depends on how the reviews go.  Each student will give their review, and the director will assess them accordingly."  He explained.  "There will also be a section for you.  The students and I will be filling out that portion."  He explained further, stopping at the same window from Monday.

HaeByeol looked out to see the same people that were fighting are now enjoying the day together.  "Students reflect their acedemics on their personalities.  If they turn back and forth with their feelings, they may say or do the wrong thing."  Minseok continued walking.  "It's their and the other student's responsibility to make things correct." 

HaeByeol was agreeing, but also was confused on why he was talking like this.  They stopped in front of the classroom door. 

"My point is, I hope you caught them on a good flip."  Minseok spoke.  He didn't give time for her to respond by opening the door.

They greeted the classroom and had a review session with them before passing the tests out.  They could see worried expressions on many of the students.  One in particular was starting to cry. 

HaeByeol remembered when she was high school.  She had a friend that would always cry before an exam.  Not because she thought she'd do horribly, but she was afraid that she'd never live to see the results.  She always thought that you would die just before you see something important.

HaeByeol put a hand on this student's shoulder.  "Every thing will be okay.  You'll still be breathing after the exam."  She whispered.  This seemed to have given the student more confidence.

She'll have to remember to thank her uncle that taught her friend that legend.  It must have spread to this student as well. 


Walking along the isles, they make sure that the students are doing their tests well and not cheating.  When the clock rings, the students put down their pencils and started passing the tests along to the front.  There, each student in the front row puts them on the teacher's desk.  After placing them down, the five students sit ack down.

The teachers bid the students goodbye for the week. 

HaeByeol looked at the stack of reviews that the students filled out before leaving.  She put the stack in an envelope and tied it.  She knows she can't look through them, otherwise she might get in trouble.  She will know Monday if she will be a teacher or not.

She looked at Minseok who took off his glasses.  He scratched his forehead as he looked at the stack of exams.  She stood in front of him.  "Do you need help grading them?"  HaeByeol asked.

Minseok thought it would be a good idea to train her how to grade exams.  The exams are a bit different than the quizzes.  You don't have to show your work on the quizzes as much as you need to on the tests.  He nodded and requested her to follow him. 

Honoring the older, she walks with him to a small café.

 



It was Saturday morning, HaeByeol woke up to the sound of her phone ringing.  She picked it up from the nightstand after she rolled on the bed.  She sat up before saying 'hello' to the other end.  She heard it was the director.  He wiped her eyes and looked at the time.  It was half past noon, and it was so bright out today.  She started paying attention to the director.

You have the job, Miss Shim.

HaeByeol jumped out of her bed.

Please make sure you come in on Monday, and Mr. Kim Minseok will show you to your classroom. 

HaeByeol thanked him before she heard him hang up.  She gently placed her phone on her night stand.  She walked to the window and saw the trees and such outside.  Her smile grew wider and wider until she let out a scream.  She jumped around the room and plopped down on her bed.

Her door was opened, revealing her mom with an old-style mop.  "What's wrong?  An intruder?!?"  She asked.

"Mom!  I got the job, I got the job!"  She shouted, making her mother almost go deaf.

She ran down the stairs after getting dressed at lightning speed.  She skipped eating and ran out of the house.  She was on her way to the college to formally thank the director, but she heard her phone go off.  Stopping the hyperdrive, she took her phone out of her purse. 

Hello? - H
HaeByeol!  I heard about the job!  I also was hired! - M
Really?!?  Where are you right now? - H
I'm on my way to a café, care to join me in victory coffee? - M
Sure thing! - H


She hung up after hearing Minseok hang up.  She turned left and started running.  Luckily, she didn't wear heels today!  After a few more minutes of running, she made it to the coffee shop.  She saw Minseok waiting in the corner.  She straightened her pony tail, and walked over to the table.  She smiled while sitting down.

"Congrats, Minseok-ssi!" HaeByeol said with a ear to ear smile.

"You too, HaeByeol-ssi."  Minseok picked his beverage up.  HaeByeol noticed that Minseok already ordered for them.  She picked up the other glass, and clinked it against Minseok's.


After a string of memories from childhood, they noticed that they needed to part ways.  Saying goodbye until Monday, they go home.  HaeByeol opens the door to see her parents are waiting right inside the doorway.  She was a little bit scared.

"What's up?"  She asked with a smile.

"We just got off the phone with Minseok's mother,"  Her mother spoke, "we agreed that you two will be going on a date tomorrow!"  She finished and threw confetti in HaeByeol's face.

"Are you a little girl, mother?"  HaeByeol teased.  "I'm not going on a date with him, sorry."  She said before going up the stairs. 

The father looked at his wife with a pout.  "Don't worry, I have a trick up my sleeve." The mother said with confidence.  

HaeByeol was undressing to take a shower.  It was already evening when she made her way back home.  She was about to take the last bits off before going into the shower.  Her bedroom door was opened.  She screamed before looking at the door.  She calmed down when she saw it was her mother.

"Mom!"  She screeched.  Her mother locked the door behind her.

"Look, I already got you a dress.  Just humor us, okay?"  Her mother sounded desperate. 

How could she not listen to her?  She nodded and opened the box that the dress was in.  She lifted it up.  It was a long, pink dress.  It had a spot for an optional bow at the collar button.  She saw that the sleeves where patterned.  She noticed that the heels were shorter than her college heels.  That made her sigh in relief. 

"Please try it on, dear."  Her mother spoke. 

HaeByeol nodded...



"Son!"  Minseok heard his father speak from in the other room.  He walked to the office, and saw his father olding a black bag that had a hanger outside of it.  He was confused.

"Dad?  Isn't that one of your old suits?"  Minseok asked.

"Yes, I'd like you to wear it tomorrow."  He said, handing the hangered bag to him.

"For what?"  He asked.

"You're going out on a date with HaeByeol."  He spoke, not wanting to discuss it anymore.

Minseok knew his father.  When he said something, it was going to happen.  No if's, and's, or but's.  He nodded and took the bag upstairs.  He hung it in his closet and zipped it open.  He saw the well-kept suit.  His father wore it when he went out dating Minseok's mother.

He sighed and looked out of the window.

"Knew I should have lied and said it was a male teacher..."  Minseok slammed his face on his desk.

 



Minseok was standing outside of his car.  He was at HaeByeol's drive way.  He made sure that his suit was in order, and his hair was good.  He sighed before going up to the front door and ringing it.  He knows he's ten minutes early, but better be early than late. 

The door opened and he walked in.  He saw that HaeByeol's parents had her smile.  He felt comfort meeting them.  He bowed respectfully and sat down with them.  They started talking a lot about HaeByeol.

The mother received a text.

"I'll be right back."  She said before going upstairs.


"Yes, honey?"  Her mother entered the room.

"Can you help me put this bow-tie on my collar?"  She asked with a smile.

The mother noticed it was a black one.  She smiled and tied it up for her. 

"You know, I wore this on my first date with your father,"  Her mother spoke before brushing some lint off her shoulders, "I wore a black bow-tie with it as well." 

HaeByeol smiled.  This really does mean a lot to her parents then.  It's not just them wanting her to get married and have a stable husband.  No, this must go deeper than that.  She'll make tonight worth it.

She walked down the stairs with her mother.  She walked into the living room, and looked at Minseok in his suit.  She must say, that does make him look stunning.

"Have fun, you two." 

Minseok looked at HaeByeol.  He noticed that dress was in his dream.  He can't remember the background of his dream, but this wasn't it.  He figures this isn't the right time or place to confess his feelings. 


They finished walking along a path that was guarded at night.  HaeByeol felt like they were royalty because of it.   She stopped and looked out to the distance.  It was a slow waterfall.  She made sure none of the water splashed on her mother's dress. 

Minseok looked to the side seeing her.  Suddenly, the path's lights go out.  HaeByeol screams and holds onto Minseok.  Her arms were laced around his waist, making Minseok stunned.  He held her close and looked around, making sure no one was around them.

There was a big flood light.  It must be a guard.  The guard explained about how they were doing a test, and apologized for not warning.  The guard left the flood light on a distant table.

Minseok's heart started pounded when the light behind her almost made him blind.

"HaeByeol,"  Minseok's heart raced, "I-I love you."

Minseok was confident this is the right moment.  He saw her lips open up.

She didn't know what to say, but hearing it from him made her heart flutter. 

"I love you, too."  She said subtly.


The lights turned back on.  They hugged each other. 

"Hello, we met seven days ago."  She said with a teasing tone. She was truly stunned at what just happened.  Everything went just so quickly. 

Minseok smiles.  "That's what I love about you." 

"Hm?"

"Your bright smiles~"  He cooed.

"What's that supposed to mean?"




"Your smile is so bright." 



 



Hello!  Thank you all so very much for reading!  Sorry it went too quickly and wasn't interesting.  I hope that the next story is better than this one. XD


Bai Bai!