Chapter 1

I won't say I love you (if you don't)

It’s Park Chaeyoung’s birthday today.

 

Leeeeeessaaaa Manoban > Park Chaeyoung

PARK CHAEYYYYOUUNNNGGG!!!! MAH GIRL! MAH BRO! MAH SIS! MAH PARTNER IN CRIME! HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!!! LOVE YOU!!!! AND SEE YOU AT WORK CAUSE YOU ARE NUTS LIKE THAT!!!!!

Park Chaeyoung Lol. You’re nuts too. Thank you sis, Love you too! See you at work.

 

Bae Wenrene > Park Chaeyoung

My baby sister!!!! Happy Happy Birthday to you! I’m so proud of the woman you have become. I am so blessed to have a baby sister who is the literal version of sunshine. You make everyone around you happy, stay awesome and I love you so much! Me and your Irene unnie are so excited to see you next week.

Park Chaeyoung Unnnnnnnniiiiiiieeeeee…. Don’t make me cry this early… I love you and Irene unnie so much!

Park Joy This is making me throw up… Happy Birthday though!

 

Kang Seulgi > Park Chaeyoung

Happy birthday to my fave cousin from your fave cousin! Kekekekeke… Love you from me, my beautiful wifey and our cutie baby bears YoonYulSeo.

Park Chaeyoung Unnnniiiiieeee! I miss you guys so much! Can’t wait to see my favorite Teddy Bears soon!

Kim Yerim I should be everyone’s fave cousin.

Kim Yerim Happy Birthday Chaeng! You’re a grandma now from your cutest cousin.

Park Chaeyoung Thanks Yeri… my second fave cousin.

Park Joy We all know who is the best cousin here.

 

Park Dara > Park Chaeyoung

Girrrrrrllllll Happy Birthday!!!! Stay Pretty!!!!

Park Chaeyoung Thanks unnnniiiieeee!!!

Park Dara Welcome! Are you dating anyone now?

 

Im Nayeon > Park Chaeyoung

Happy Birthday Beautiful! Mwah Mwah Mwah!

Park Chaeyoung Unnie thank you! Can’t wait to see you soon!

Im Nayeon Of course! Is there anyone special right now?

 

Son Chaeyoung > Park Chaeyoung

Chaeyoungggg! My name sake happy happy birthday to you! I miss you! You work too much!

Park Chaeyoung Chaeeyounggggg Thank you! I miss you too so much! Let’s go grab dinner sometime.

Son Chaeyoung We should. You’re not dating anyone these days, right? Lol

 

*

 

It must be signs of old age when Chaeyoung who has always been known for her high tolerance of dealing with people’s bull, is just not having it with the “are you single?” questions.

 

The answer is Yes. A big, fat Yes.

 

But the thing about it is, it’s not that she feels an emptiness that most people have warned her about at this age. She works as the secretary to the President of Kim Enterprises and as demanding and crazy her job is, she couldn’t deny that she enjoys it. There is always something she looks forward to when she walks in the building and seeing her boss just rule over the world.

 

Usually, when she tells people that she is happy, she sees their faces trying to mask away their pity as if they assumed that she is just lying. But she isn’t and nowadays, she would rather not spend her time defending herself against people who won't believe her anyway.

 

Chaeyoung believes that she doesn’t have time to miss something that she never really had in the first place. But if yeah, one of these days the right one do come, who is she to ever say no to it?

 

*

 

 

To Secretary Park

Have a wonderful birthday, Chaeyoung! You are the best thing about work. You are what I look forward to everyday. Every second, I just want to

 

Have a wonderful birthday, Secretary Park. I feel so grateful having a chance to work with you. I can’t imagine-

 

Have a happy birthday, Secretary Park! Can’t wait to see you at work!

 

Have a happy birthday, Secretary Park! See you at work!

 

Happy Birthday, Secretary Park!

 

Happy Birthday.

 

Sent.

 

“What did we say about having your phone at the table, Jennie?”

 

Jennie in a deep breath, here she is, running a multi billion company before thirty but is still being treated like a teenager by her own mother.

 

But it’s barely 8 am and the last thing that she needs is to bicker about something as trivial as phone use during mealtime. She surrenders for now, placing her phone face down before putting her complete focus on her breakfast.

 

“Did you consider what we talk about, sweetheart?”

 

Jennie responds to her mom with a groan, and suddenly her omelet doesn’t look so appetizing anymore.

 

“You mean freezing my eggs? No, mom. I’m not doing it.”

 

“We talk about this already, Jennie. It’s different with us women. You are 29 years old when you reach thirty the risk of your children having-“

 

“Dad please, can you talk to mom?”

 

His dad only responded with a shrug, before sipping something that what suspiciously doesn’t look like just orange juice. She can’t blame him being married to her mom.

 

“As your mother, I’m just worried that you’re going to-“

 

Jennie was in no mood for this conversation and decide that this needs to end right here and right now.

 

“Mom, are you worried about having an heir or a grandchild?”

 

Despite her mom’s botox operation, it is still clear how displeased her mom is with her question. “Sweetheart, our family owns a –“

 

“I won’t need an heir, because I have no intentions of dying.”

 

Jennie heard a proud scoff from across the table. She looks up to catch the proud smirk on her dad’s face.

 

“Jennie, you are close to thirty. I just don’t want you to be alone.”

 

That was a pathetic excuse and they all know it.

 

“Don’t worry, mom. If I get too lonely, I’ll just wipe away my tears with my hundred dollar bills. So, if you’ll excuse me- I have to go to work.”

*

 

“So, we are looking at a growth of about 13 percent by the end of the-“

 

“Thirteen?”

 

“W-what?”

 

Gulps.

 

Staring the devil herself in the eye that’s a big mistake right there.

 

It’s an embarrassment of all sorts really. He is Koo Junhoe, with a Masters degree from Wharton’s, more handsome than some questionable kpop idols, taller than your average Asian men. He came to this meeting prepared, had master this financial report back and front, trying to avoid the humiliating nightmare when the President rip him a new (if he’s putting it delicately) during his entire presentation.

 

But the moment his gaze met the President, his throat runs dry and all he could muster is a squeak. She is ing gorgeous, emphasize on ing which leads her to be the source of everyone’s fascinations. Business magazines want to delve inside her mind of a genius while every tabloid wants a who’s who of the women sleeping in her bed. But the President is too meticulous and there had never been any scandal that they could scour about her that they just go to creating stories rumoring her with hot models and kpop idols and actresses, only to get their businesses shutdown the second the story hits the streets.

 

In short, Jennie Kim is known around the company as Satan in heels. And Koo Junhoe is learning why.

 

*

 

She is seconds away from firing this idiot.

 

Every second that he stalls is a second she could have used earning her company money. She was too nice at last month’s meeting when she decided to give him another chance. She was patient with him, with his pedigree and where he graduated. But this presentation just proved that he is as incompetent now as he is incompetent before.

 

“On Last month’s report, you projected a growth of 21 percent and now it’s down to 13. That’s 8 percent less. So, if the company earns one billion, we-“

 

The president was ready to rip out the throat of whoever walks through the double doors in the conference room. Everyone straightened up in their leather seats both frightened for the poor employee and at the same time excited to see their president annihilate her prey.

 

But when Jennie caught sight of the flowing red hair, the pent up rage fizzled at the sight of her.

 

It was her secretary Park Chaeyoung, with that baby pink button down blouse tucked in that white pencil skirt. That gorgeous brown eyes searched the room and locked in with her boss, flashing her a soft smile before hunching over, trying (but ultimately failing) to remain unnoticed.

 

No one this beautiful should ever go unnoticed and especially not in a room full of pot bellied, balding middle age men, who are acting more like hormonal teenage boys, practically drooling at the sight of her secretary.

 

“I’m so sorry to interrupt you, Ms. Kim but I need your signature for the-”

 

But one sharp kick in her shin was good enough to knock her right back. Jennie could imagine the eating grin on Jisoo’s face getting wider.

 

Sometimes she wants to point out that all that her bestfriend/ nemesis’ Ivy League education was put to waste. Yes, she couldn’t imagine running the business without her, but most days Jisoo spends it teasing her mercilessly.

 

She scribbles quickly, ignoring her lightheadedness when she inhales the sweet fragrance of her secretary. Her secretary bows down politely before excusing herself.

But even if it has already been a few minutes that she left, the whole room is still abuzz by her lasting presence. Park Chaeyoung is that nice break they needed to break the suffocating tension, but all Jennie has to do is smack her palm against the table, and soon everyone is back in business, ready to worship their Goddess again.

 

*

 

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa…..

 

Chaeyoung tilts her head away from her computer, and it wasn’t hard to miss the orange haired girl jumping from behind her desk.

 

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPYYYYYYY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!

 

Chaeyoung waves her arms frantically, begging to the other secretary to shhhh while singing Happy Birthday. Everyone in their company froze midway in their keyboards and watched the Vice President’s secretary going all out in her performance.

 

But she should have known, once Lalisa Manoban is on the roll there is no way to stop her.

 

“HAPPPPPPPPPYYYYYYY BIRTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHDDDDDDAAAAAYYYYY PARRRRRKKKKKKKKKK CHAEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYOOOOOOUUUUUNNNNNGGGGG….”

 

The redhead secretary sighs in relief, thinking it was the end of it when suddenly,

 

“HAPPPPPYYYY BIRTHHHDAYYY TOOOOOOOOO YOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUU…”

 

The entire office roared at the performance with Lisa thanking her fans with a curtsy.

 

“Happy Birthday Chaeyoungie,” Lisa stretches her arms out, giving Chaeyoung a large pink paperbag.

 

Chaeyoung chuckles, softly slapping her bestfriend in the arm, “Thanks Lisa.”

 

“So, tonight… how about we go sing our singleness away in the karaokes? There is this new place in downtown that is just-“

 

“I would love to Lisa, but I don’t know if I could get out early today.”

 

“What?!” Lisa’s face became memeworthy from her dramatic reaction. “But it’s your birthday!”

 

“President Kim has been staying late everyday to get ready for the merger. I can’t just leave early while my boss is still working.”

 

Lisa wasn’t convinced with that excuse.

 

“What? I’m gonna have a talk with President Kim, I’m gonna tell her that hey, you need to send Chaeyoung home early because she’s going to celebrate her-

 

“Hello, Ms. Kim.”

 

“Oh !” Lisa drops on the ground as if a bomber plane is ready to drop some missiles her way. She raises her head up, and when she sees the amused grin on Chaeyoung’s lips, she knew that she was duped.

 

“I’m sorry Lisa, I thought I saw her.”

 

“No, you did not. But c’mon, Chaeyoung, even if we go there around 9. That’s not too bad.”

 

“We work the next day.”

 

“So? Our company is worth 2.3 billion dollars. It’s not gonna go bankrupt just because two secretaries went to work with a hangover.”

 

“I’m the secretary of the President and you are the secretary of the Vice President.” Chaeyoung corrected her. “But seriously Lisa, it’s really okay. I really want to save my day off for next week for my sister’s wedding.”

 

“Oh . That is next week already?”

 

“Yes. You are still good as my date, right?”

 

“As long as there are many cute peeps in there, count me in.” Lisa grins widely, nodding in agreement.

 

“I’m supposed to be your date, Lisa.”

 

“It’s not like I’m gonna go hit on anyone there.” Lisa reasons out, arms flailing around in defense. “I’ll just you know, see who is cute, find them in Facebook and we will see.”

 

“Fine. It’s just that… you know… I’m the only one left in our family who isn’t married or hitch yet. If at least I have a date, it wouldn’t be so bad rather than show up alone.”

 

“Yes. Yes. Yes. I’ll be the perfect date.”

 

Ahem.

 

“OH SHIIIIII….. NE OH SUNSHINE is bursting out of your aura this morning, President.”

 

Their boss answers her with a glare. The glare turned frozen when her secretary steps closer with her electronic organizer.

 

“Good morning President, I got your financial and accounting reports in your desk. You also have a scheduled meeting with the CEO of Chen Enterprises at 11.”

 

The young president clears before nodding,

 

“Ah. Yes. Okay.”

 

She her head to the side signaling her vice president to follow her to the office.

 

*

 

“So, ummm…”

 

The young president starts pacing back and forth inside her office that watching her is enough to make Jisoo dizzy. Jisoo was about to comment on it, but when she sees the distressed look etched in her bestfriend’s face, she decided to go against it. She’ll save this ammo for later.

 

“Hmmm?”

 

“Your secretary is ummm…”

 

So, this is about Lisa? What did her secretary do now?

 

“Ummm what? Hyper all the time? I know, but she gets the job done and more. So.”

 

“No, I mean like… she’s ah… you notice she’s kinda close to Secretary Park?”

 

So, it finally comes out. Jisoo purses her lips, trying to hold on the smile that is about to break in her face. Jennie had and would probably never admit it out loud. But words are just words, it was obvious how Jennie likes her secretary from how Jennie looks like she forgotten how to breathe the second they met in the interview.

 

Jisoo thought it was just a hopeless crush that is bound to fizzle in a week, but days turn to weeks, weeks turn to month and now for almost five years, Jennie had refuse to go on dates or bed anyone and only Jisoo seems to perfectly know why.

 

But right now, as she sees how much her bestfriend is struggling with keeping her feelings intact. It’s taking Jisoo a whole lot of willpower not to poke the green monster out of Jennie.

 

“Oh yeah, now that you point that out. They are always together.”

 

Jisoo smiles when she sees Jennie’s fist tightened around her pen, but Jisoo is nowhere near done. She has to plant these seeds of doubt so Jennie could finally woman up and do something about it.

 

“They go to lunch together, walk out together, I heard they even hangout over the weekends.”

 

“Hangout on the weekends?” Jisoo sees Jennie raised a brow. “Wh-what do they do? Not like I care what my employees are doing just you know- stuff.”

 

“Well, you know just couple-y things.”

 

“Couple-y?” Jennie’s voice raised a couple of octaves higher. “Are they ummmm… by chance you know.”

 

“I don’t know about kids these days, Jen.”

 

“They’re just a few years younger than us.”

 

“But still… I think I did hear Lisa mentioned that they’re going out tonight for Chaeyoung’s birthday.”

 

“Wait… Chaeyoung’s birthday?”

 

“Yes. Fun fact. Your secretary’s name is Chaeyoung, not Secretary.”

 

“I…I know that. I just… So, they’re going out tonight, huh?”

 

“You know what? When all else fails, all anybody wants in life is a Starbucks gift card.”

 

“A Starbucks gift card?”

 

“Yes! Do you know how freaking pricey their coffee is? Five bucks! Five bucks for the grande… Grande means medium by the way. Give her like a 30 dollar gift card to Starbucks, and she’s gonna love you.”

 

Jennie’s ears turn a cute pink at the word.

 

“Okay.”

 

*

 

“Wow… the boss looks intense.” Lisa whispered as she and Chaeyoung could see the way their boss looks so focused on her phone.

 

“She’s running a multi-billion company, of course, she is intense.”

 

From her office all she could do is sigh in defeat, ready to declare the internet useless for not coming close to helping her find what she needs.

 

She takes a deep breath, ready to dive into another article as she clicks the next story, titled.

 

What to get your crush on her birthday?

 

*

 

*

 

Jisoo groans as she watches the request for facetime blaring on her phone screen. She was midway to munching on her lunch of fried chicken and everyone knows you eat them with your hands not with a fork or a spoon. But she knows that ignoring this will only make it worse for her, she has no idea what an impatient Jennie is capable of.

 

“Yoh Wassup!”

 

“Unnie…” Jennie says, her pretty face filled with worry.

 

“Are you in Starbucks? Can you get me a triple mocha frappe? MY boss is driving me nuts.”

 

Jennie answers her with a glare, “Be quiet, unnie.”

 

“I love you too. So? What’s this call about? On my lunchbreak too.”

 

“I’m gonna show you some gift cards and tell me which do you think is the prettiest.”

 

“Jennie Kim! It’s the inside that counts. Like a hundred dollar one.”

 

“I know that. But a pretty gift card counts too.”

 

“#aesthetics.”

 

“Fine aesthetics.”

 

“Nope. HASHTAG Aesthetics.”

 

“Fine. Hashtag aesthetics. Oh, ….”

 

Jisoo stares at her screen and watches the president of the company just duck for cover and zooms out of the lunch crowd in dire need of their coffee, before finding cover inside her Audi.

 

“What was that?”

 

“Of all the branches that this city has, she has to go to this one.”

 

“Who? Your crush?”

 

“Ye- no. Ummm… Secretary Park.”

 

Jisoo scratches her head, if she were next to her bestfriend, she would have smacked some sense into her lovesick mind already.

 

“Well, did you think that maybe because it’s the closest thing to work?”

 

“That’s a good point.”

 

“She’s in there buying you lunch and coffee.”

 

“She does it because it’s her job, not because she-“

 

“She what?”

 

“Nothing,” Jennie sighs heavily and even if it’s just from the screen, Jisoo could tell how much this is killing Jennie. All she needs is to give her friend a nudge or a hard punch. “I’m driving back to work.”

 

“Oh hell no you are not.”

 

“Don’t tell me what to do!”

 

“Well, just this once listen, Jen. It’s her birthday today. Today is the best day for you to make her feel a bit special. So, go in that Starbucks and buy her a Goddamn coffee and some croissant!”

 

*

 

Chaeyoung smiles proudly at the cute little heart she did over her boss’ name. She could only count on one hand the things that could make her boss smile and always seeing that little heart has been one of them. It was strange to admit how seeing her boss smile has slowly become one of the things that she looks forward to.

 

“Thank you…” She hands the sharpie back to the barista before picking up the coffee.

 

“Park Chaeyoung is that you?”

 

“Oh ahhhh. Hello,” Chaeyoung blinks curiously, trying to figure out a name to both the ladies faces. They were no more than 30 years old, looking like they just came out of their yoga class. It took her awhile to remember that these two went to the same high school as her Seungwan unnie, quite infamous in spinning up stories out of their imaginations or what her cousin mentioned before, (stories out of their asses).

 

“It’s been forever, how are all of you?”

 

“We are okay…”

 

“I don’t know, unnie… after the yoga class today, I don’t think I could move an inch.”

 

The two let out an airy laugh and it’s taking Chaeyoung all of her will not to run away from there. She has to go pick coffee for her boss, while these two are out doing mountain pose.

 

“So, are you still working at Kim Enterprises?”

 

“Yes. I still work there.”

 

The two exchanged pitying looks, shaking their heads at poor, poor overworked Chaeyoung.

 

“Girl you need to slow down because that job is going to work you to the bone.”

 

“Yes, like when are you going to find yourself time to date if you’re always working.”

 

Here we go again with more prying into her nonexistent love life.

 

“Well, I’m-“

 

“You are a beautiful girl, Chaeyoung but you are not getting any younger. Soon, before you know it you’re all alone.”

 

“So, you’re not bringing any date to your unnie’s wedding next week?”

 

“Well actually-“

 

“I’m sorry I’m late, beautiful.”

 

Chaeyoung’s slouch back straightens up when she felt an arm wrapping around her waist, before pulling her close. She didn’t even get a chance to react when she felt a pair of warm lips press against her temple.

 

“I just had to finish some stuff in the office before I can meet you for lunch. You already got my coffee? You are amazing.”

 

"Thank you."

 

Jennie stiffens up after Chaeyoung places her palm on her chest, taking this pretend dating up a notch.

 

The two ladies look like they were nailed in their spots, their mouths gaping open at the adorable display of affection between the two.

 

“Oh, I’m sorry I didn’t get to introduce myself, I’m- “

 

“Jennie Kim.” One of the ladies piped in. “Everyone knows Jennie Kim. It’s good to finally meet you.”

 

“We were just asking Chaeyoung here if she’s going to bring a date to her sister’s wedding, but I think now we know the answer.”

 

Jennie and Chaeyoung exchanged looks, Jennie had no idea about all this but this little white lie is already into deep, for her to back out now.

 

"Unless you are too busy, Ms. Kim. You do run a Fortune 500 company."

 

“Oh yes. Of course, I’ll be there.”

 

“Next Saturday,” Chaeyoung added.

 

“Next Saturday. I already have my schedule cleared out for my girl.”

 

Chaeyoung looks down and Jennie ignores how much it made her heart palpitate when she caught a slight tinge of pink in Chaeyoung’s squishy cheeks.

 

“Oh my god.” One of the ladies gushed. “Beautiful, a billionaire and is just so in love with you. You are so lucky, Chaeyoung.”

 

“Oh ummmm… I am.”

 

*

 

“Happy Birthday Chaeyoung-ah!”

 

“Unnie thank you!”

 

People usually look at them confusedly when Chaeyoung and Seulgi point out that they’re cousins. They don’t really look alike, but if there is one thing that both of them share it’s that infectious smile and those warm crescent eyes.

 

It surprised everyone in their family that it was Seulgi who got hitched first. She despite being the oldest among the cousins was the most childlike one. Their parents were trying to drop hints that Seulgi might be too young to be committed for life, but look at her now? Still smiling like she’s the luckiest woman in this world, having a beautiful and caring wife and to everyone’s surprise, triplets. Three little versions of her Seulgi unnie. The family calls them their teddy cubs with those chubby cheeks and those almond eyes and everyone just wants to love on them.

 

“Happy birthday Auntie Chaeyoung.” A teddy bear cub pops up from her mama’s side, waving a pudgy hand at her.

 

“Hi-“

 

“Happy birthday Auntie Chaeyoung!” A second teddy bear appears, trying to reach for the phone but Seulgi already mastered the art of dodging their daughter’s sticky fingers.

 

Chaeyoung could feel a tear seeing her baby nieces who could barely say anything more than a gurgle, are now trying to start conversation with her.

 

“Omo! Our little teddy bears are so big-“

 

“Auntie Chaeyoungie…” The third one came up, clinging to her mommy’s neck. “Happy birthday!”

 

“Awwwwww… Oh my God unnie, you guys are so big now!”

 

“They are, right?”

 

Seulgi looks proudly at her triplets. kissing each of her mini version in the top of their heads.

 

“I lost a tooth!” One of the teddy cubs moves closer to the screen, opening open to show off her missing tooth.

 

“Me too!”

 

“Me too!”

 

“I want to show Auntie Chaeyoung my teeth.”

 

“I showed her first.”

 

The look of pride in her Seulgi unnie’s face is now filled with complete panic as each baby starts tearing up.

 

“Hey… hey… hey… it’s okay.” Seulgi says reassuringly “It’s okay, Auntie Chaeyoung is going to look at each one. Right, Auntie Chaeyoung?”

 

“Y-yeah. How about we do it one by one so I could really see it.”

 

“I go first.”

 

“No! Me!”

 

“Hey… hey… no hitting…”

 

Too late and even Chaeyoung winces as she hears a loud smack, followed by an ear piercing shriek.

 

“Oh my God.” Seulgi said as one of her girls just smack one on the head. “Eunae… Eunae… Eunae…”

 

Chaeyoung purses her lips, trying to hold in her smile as she watches her unnie desperately calling out for her wife.

 

“It’s okay, it’s okay baby… shhh… shhhh…” Seulgi wipes away the tears, but the crying doesn’t look like it’s about to stop anytime soon. “EUNAE!” Seulgi screams out once again.

 

One of the girls swipes the phone away from her distressed mom.

 

“Look at my dab, Auntie Chaeyoung!”

 

“Oh my God… no… baby, my phone, please. Chaeyoung… Chaeyoung sorry again. Can I call you later? when they are napping or something- Eu- hey.”

 

Chaeyoung watches the family comedy unfolds as her Seulgi unnie’s wife, emerging from the shower, hair still dripping wet, body wrapped in a towel. Chaeyoung almost couldn’t contain her laugh as she watches her unnie’s usual crescent eyes just grew wide, jaw hitting the ground at the sight of her still scorching hot wife.

 

“Seul- what happened?” Eunae didn’t wait for an answer from her wife and just picked up the crying baby they have cooing softly.

 

“I have an owie in my head.” The littlest and at the same time pudgiest of the three sniffles.

 

“Oh no.” Eunae gave her littlest one a kiss on the head before carrying her in her arms.

 

“Say hi to Auntie Chaeyoung, Mama.”

 

“Auntie Chaeyoung? Oh my gosh… Chaeyoung… hi. Happy Birthday.”

 

“Thank you so much, unnie.”

 

“Give the phone back to your mom, Yoongie.”

 

“B-but.”

 

“Now.”

 

Even Chaeyoung stiffens at the commanding tone in Eunae’s voice.

 

“I’ll talk to you later, Eunae. C’mon baby, say bye to Auntie Chaeyoung. Let mommy Seulgi talk to Auntie Chaeyoung.”

 

“Bye Bye Auntie Chaeyoung! I love you!” The three little girls wave goodbye before they all start following their mama Eunae like obedient little ducks. It wasn’t hard to tell who runs the Kang-Jo household.

 

“Sorry about that.”

 

“No-no… I’m so excited to see them next week.”

 

“Well, I’m excited- no- we are all excited to meet your girlfriend.”

 

The light conversation started turning heavy as Chaeyoung straightens up in her seat, eyes widened in surprise and throat constricting at the word.

 

“G-girlfriend?”

 

“Yes. Remember me and your Wendy unnie’s friends in high school? They were like messaging us an hour ago, talking in all caps how you ended up with a billionaire.”

 

Oh my God!

 

Chaeyoung could feel a vein pulsating in her temple, all she could is pressed on it hoping for this to disappear.

 

“H-how did Wendy unnie reacted?”

 

“Well, she was surprised, but you know your unnie is such a saint. But it made sense now why you never answer when people ask you if you’re single, you must be trying to hide your relationship with her since she’s your boss. Chaeng? Are you okay?”

 

Chaeyoung could only reply with a weak nod, “It’s just more complicated than that.”

 

“It’s okay, Chaeyoung. You can’t choose who you fall for.”

 

Chaeyoung barely muster a smile before saying, “I know.”

 

*

 

Jennie was groomed to be a forward thinker eversince she was a child. The girl is already 5 steps ahead, thinking of every plausible steps and every consequence to it. She thinks about the wins and losses, if what she has to cut or lose is worth the reward in the end.

 

But what happened today in the coffeeshop, it was just one giant jump into a sinkhole. She just had to play knight in a Chanel suit as those women were cornering Chaeyoung, virtually forcing her to admit her defeat. Jennie couldn’t deny the butterflies are going crazy inside her stomach when her lips pressed against Chaeyoung’s temple and when she felt Chaeyoung’s hand lay flat on her stomach.

 

Jumping in there only confirmed one thing that she was sinking quick and fast in Park Chaeyoung, her own secretary.

 

They hadn’t spoken a single word the second they got into her car. She tries to formulate any conversation starters or more of an escape plan to the hole she just dug herself into. But when she glances to her side, she felt like it was a sin to interrupt the quietness in Chaeyoung’s impression. Jennie usually drives up to 60 mph, but for once she’s driving around 40 so that she could have a few seconds more to glance at the girl next to her.

 

She looks up from her table and could see Chaeyoung still buried in work even if it’s already close to 9 pm. Her hand fiddled with the Starbucks card in her hand. Yup. This is how you get a girl to like you back, make her work overtime.

 

The president slouches in her seat, feeling nothing more than defeat before pressing the intercom button.

 

“Go home, Chaeyoung.”

 

*

 

Jennie sat paralyze on her leather seat as she heard three knocks on her door. From what she knows, other than the custodian, she’s the only one left in the office.

 

“Ms. Kim?”

 

Jennie sighs in relief when she sees her secretary’s face popping from behind the door.

 

“Secretary Park. I didn’t know you are still here, I thought I sent you home already?”

 

She sees Park Chaeyoung everyday for the last four years. The girl always has some sunny disposition in her, but tonight there was a slightly pink and a look of shyness that would only be adorable on her.

 

“You did. But ummm… I really don’t mind staying.”

 

“Yup. Get that overtime.”

 

The secretary’s smile grew wider before stepping inside the office, in her hand a small light blue square box.

 

“Ummm Lisa bought some cake during lunch. It’s pretty good so would you like some, boss?”

 

Jennie’s relaxed face twisted in a scowl as she heard that name.

 

Lisa. Lisa. Lisa. All that she could hear from Chaeyoung’s mouth is Lisa. Does she like her that much that that’s the only name she could say?

 

A cake. A ing cake?! How on Earth did she not think of that? It’s her birthday, the least she could do is buy her cake! And maybe some balloons. But no… of course not. Lisa already beat her to it, and all she has is a freaking Starbucks gift card.

 

“Nope. I’m not hungry.” Jennie declared, her tone might sound a little too salty than what she wants it to be.

 

“Oh okay. How long are you going to stay?”

 

“Me? Why? I told you could go. So, you can go on a date with Ms. Manoban.”

 

Ms. Park looks baffled at her suggestion, Jennie is clearly overstepping her boundaries if she’s suggesting date nights between her employees.

 

“Ummm no… it’s just cause if you’re still staying late, I was thinking I could order us some takeout. Ummm… it’s my treat, boss.”

 

“Wait. Isn’t it your birthday?”

 

The confused expression only grew in Chaeyoung’s face, it took her a couple of seconds to regain her composure back, a smile garnering at her lips at the thought that her busy boss actually remembers.

 

“Oh. You knew? I mean you did text me. I’m sorry I forgot. I ahhh… yeah. 27 today.”

 

“Oh ummm happy birthday. You look 21 still.”

 

“Thank you, boss. You still look like a baby too.”

 

“What?”

 

“I mean… you know… I… Let me order us some takeout- what would you like?”

 

“It’s your birthday so get whatever you like and ummm… I got you. I’ll pay for it.”

 

“No… no…no boss, you don’t have too. I got it.”

 

“No, it’s your birthday so-“

 

“No.”

 

Jennie paused when she felt Chaeyoung’s hand on her arm. God, she’s so pathetic how could she just stand there motionless because Chaeyoung got her hand on her arm?

 

“Let me take care of you for once, Ms. Kim.”

 

Chaeyoung might have realized how upfront she’s acting and quickly pull her hand away, leaving Jennie groaning internally from the touch. Chaeyoung was quick to move, gathering her things before getting ready to step out of the door.

 

“Oh okay.” Jennie shakes her head. “But on my birthday, I’m treating you out.”

 

Chaeyoung pops her head back, grinning widely before she says,

 

“You got yourself a deal.”

 

*

 

It didn’t take long before Jennie’s small living room area in her office was filled with take out boxes ranging from fried chicken to stir-fry noodles to pizzas. She sits there, watching Chaeyoung go around from food to food, eating everything was a show she could watch forever.

 

“Is the food okay, Ms. Kim? Would you like me to order you some more?”

 

Jennie froze midway in stirring her noodles before turning to face her secretary who looks worried.

 

“Oh no, I like this. I haven’t eaten this good or should I say this bad in a long time. This is sad, huh? Your birthday you get to spend here.”

 

"But with you though, so, I'm good." Chaeyoung smirks greasily at her that got Jennie all tongue tied.

 

Chaeyoung smiles before fiddling around with the noodles on her plate, before they were stuck in awkward silence. The only sound in that room is the low hum of the airconditioner and the clanging of the forks and spoons. Both of them trying to figure out how to address the elephant in the room.

 

It was Chaeyoung who spoke up first,

 

“I am so sorry for what happened earlier.” She looks back at her while Jennie just replied with a few blinks in surprise. “You didn’t have to step in but you did and now they sort of guilt trip you into going to my unnie’s wedding.”

 

“It’s okay… I ummm… I don’t mind going.”

 

“What?”

 

Jennie thought the shock in Chaeyoung’s voice was because she didn’t want her to be there.

 

“No. Unless of course, you are already going with someone, so you could just say if they’re there and they ask that we ummm-”

 

“No. It’s just that you’re my boss. And well, not just an ordinary boss, you own like half of the companies in South Korea. So, having you do that it’s- no, Ms. Kim. I mean I can’t have you just pretend that you’re in love with me.”

 

Jennie almost choked on her noodles after Chaeyoung just blurted out those words so easily.

 

“Pretend to be in love with you?”

 

“Well… I think love might be too intense,” Chaeyoung starts backing away, waving her arms in defense. “maybe like? Or no maybe just like interested? It’s just going to be a weekend thing. After that, if they ask, I’ll just say we decided that we are better off as just coworkers.”

 

“I guess you have to pretend to be in love with me too.” She joked, her voice teeming with fake bravado.

 

Her secretary finally dares to look up, and it was Jennie this time who cast her gaze anywhere except at the girl beside her. How can she will herself to think when Chaeyoung looks at her like that?

 

“That shouldn’t be hard.”

 

The smug smirk in Jennie’s face faded away, and now the composure that she had been trying to hold on just shattered with just four words.

 

This weekend is going to make or break her. Either she comes out of it, unscathed or with her heart ripped out of her chest.

 

But this was a risk she’s willing to take.

 

Besides pretending to be in love would be easy, it’s pretending that she’s not that would beat the out of her.

 

TBC

Thank you so much for reading and I hope you guys enjoy this fic. I'm aiming it to be just a twoshot.

Hoemate challenge accepted. Lol