One step at a time

Don't forget.

"Mummy, who is my father?" The dreaded question that she wished her own little girl would never ask finally is here. She really has no idea how to break to the precious little one that her father was standing right in front of her but her cowardly mother has no courage to tell him and her the truth.

Anna cleared and carried Josie onto her lap. "Look, honey, your father is somewhere far away yet near. He is in your heart here." She placed her hand over Josie's tiny heart. She leaned closer to her mother and hummed happily. Sensing that she is satisfied with her answer, Anna gently let her lay on the bed while she prepares for a bath to freshen up for later. 

Josie may seem like an innocent and playful kid but she is actually really intelligent. Once her mother was in the shower, she tip-toed to the living room and got her mother's phone out. 

"Anna? Missed me already?" Josie rolled her eyes at the typical greeting of her dearly Uncle Mark. 

"Nope, it's Josie. She hates you by the way. Now, Uncle Mark, tell me the truth, is that Jackson dude my father?" The other line went flat.

"Don't tell this to your mum. Jackson is your father but he doesn't know it! Josie you better-" Josie cut him off with a light chuckle. 

"Uncle Mark, I won't kill you. Why don't we...do a favour for the cupid?" Now, this is the true product of Jackson and Anna. 

 

The engagement party for her father's second marriage was huge. Her father is one of Hong Kong's powerful officials, this was just so his style...not. His style would be to keep in private and hide that the fact that his fiance was a few years her junior. 

"Dang, your dad really desperate?" Anna jerks her elbow backwards and Mark hissed in pain. Her eyes were twitching in annoyance that the fact her father was happily sipping his overpriced disgusting champagne. 

While Josie was keeping her busy, she did not notice someone staring at her a little too long. Mark noticed it and silently giggled to himself. 

"Mummy, you look even more beautiful than her!" Everyone on the table turned silent as all the attention turned towards her. After all, Anna's biological mother won the Miss Universe back in her prime. 

She is one of the most beautiful women in the ballroom and some could not help but give her the credits. Her father cleared his throats and the conversations were back again. 

Jackson tried his best not to stare but he cannot help it. This was the girl that he once had feelings for and the one that has been there whenever he needs her. He just realised what a jerk of a best friend he is. He did not even bother to check up on her after that big fight that they have and she even had a kid. 

"Wow, she is really indeed beautiful." His girlfriend dreamily sighed as she admires the beauty of Anna. 

Mark caught him staring at Anna and raise a brow at his behaviour. Josie was on Mark's lap while Anna suddenly stood up and sneak out of the ballroom. He silently stood up and followed after her to outside. 

 

"Anna! Wait up!" She walked even faster but with her heels, Jackson was still able to catch up with her. 

She turned around and Jackson's smile became wider. 

"What do you want? You don't need me anyways!" Jackson just pulled her into his arms and patted her back comfortingly, just like in high school. 

"Anne, I know you well enough. Are you pissed off that your mom forced you to come and your father is literally ignoring you?" He easily reads her after so many years. She silently nodded and let out a deep sigh. 

The hallway was empty and perfect for the two for a little reunion. 

"We shouldn't do this. People may get the wrong idea. Go back to your girlfriend, I will walk around first." He just watches her walk away from him. 

 

She let herself give in again. The last time she did, Josie pop out. Anna detests her father because he was never proud of her. She would be the top in school and it still did not faze him. 

And, he is going to marry this young girl that he shows so much love. Jealous, yes but she is suspecting their relationship. 

"After these two weeks, I am going to go back to my sweet old apartment in New York and Jackson will be out of my life." She sighed and enjoyed the night scenery of Hong Kong first.

While she was out enjoying the scenery, Jackson was distressed over her reaction just now. She was not the same, she was just not his Anna anymore. 

Mark and Josie were high-fiving each other below the table. God is on their side. 


Yay! I finally updated after months of hiatus! I know this is a short update buuuuuuuuuut I promise I will update soon!

Also, I have changed my user name too!

Love, 

xiaobear_17