End of a day

Don't forget.

9 March 2018, Manhattan, New York

It was the rush hour and the subway is always crowded and squeezy. Anna struggled to get onto the train, clutching her laptop bag close to her, she squeezes into the crowd. Her dark chocolate eyes wandered around nervously as she checked the time on her wristwatch every few seconds. Her daughter's child care centre is closing in twenty minutes and she is always one of the last to go home. 

Her heels clicked against the pavement like a ticking bomb as she ran towards the child care centre after getting out of the subway. She panted as her daughter ran towards her with open arms.

"Mama!" She always greeted her mother in Chinese. Anna grinned and held the little girl's hand as they walked back to their apartment, hand in hand. 

Josie is four years old this year, sassy and has a little attitude like her mother. She took off her black boots and placed neatly on her shelf, while Anna took off her pumps and placed it on the top shelf. Anna will head for the kitchen to prepare for dinner while Josie takes her own change of clothes and heads to the bathroom to shower, with the door open. 

They have been counting on each other since day 1. Her parents actually got divorced shortly after her graduation and her father was only supporting her till college ends. Her mother? She eloped with a guy that was only older than Anna by a couple of years. 

Anna chopped up the vegetables for a quick fried rice and added some special ingredient for her daughter. 

"Mummy, you must wear pink later!" Her daughter commanded, with her hands crossed and she sat across the table, with the help of the steps. Anna chuckled and nodded her head while continuing to cook dinner. Her work was fairly stressful but this sweet sassy pea always manages to cheer her up and encourage her to work harder. 

Josie squealed as Anna gave her daughter her food first. It was a cheese omelette with fried rice, one of her favourite meals. Anna sat across her daughter and motioned her daughter to start eating already. Josie hummed a tune as she savours her cheese omelette. Anna just watches her daughter eat and she fills her stomach too. 

One hour before Josie's bedtime, they always watch some Cantonese channel before sleeping. It was their traditional. Josie loves Hong Kong and always pester her mother to bring her back. Being a workaholic, it is tough but when the time comes, she will her back to their home country. 

"Mummy, can we go to Hong Kong? I really want to explore there and tell James about it. He always tells me that his daddy and mummy brings him there every year." Josie begged in Cantonese, Anna sighed. 

"We will, soon. When we do, I will bring you to places James never been to." She brings her daughter closer to her. 

"Really?! I will continue to study Chinese and Cantonese!" She jumped on the bed. 

"That's great. You fulfil your promise and I will do mine." Anna let out a small smile. 

"Yay! I love you, mummy!" She hugged her mother tightly. 

 

► Meanwhile, in Seoul...►

"What did you cook today?" Jackson asked as he leaned his chin on his girlfriend of three years, Haebin. She giggled and removed his arms away from her. 

"Something light. You work hard today." She pecks his nose as she turned off the gas. They have moved in together after a long time of dating. 

"So...am I getting rewarded tonight?" He wriggled his brows at her suggestively. She smacked his shoulders and pushed him to the side gently. 

"You need to eat well, you have another shift later." He groaned and pouted. Haebin flicked his forehead and placed the seafood stew on the table with side dishes. 

"Thank you! I love you!" He pulled her into a kiss, she closes her eyes and savours it. 

"I know, I need to get to work now. Bye!" Haebin pecks his lips once more and heads out of their apartment. 

 

Jackson greeted the nurses and his colleagues with a smile on his face. He has been working here in the paediatric department for the past four months and he loves being a doctor. No one expected him to take this path but his family are proud of him. 

Although he has been dating Haebin for three years, she has never talked about her family to him. 

"Doctor Wang! Just the person we are looking for! We need your help..." 

And that's how his busy day starts off. 

 

►  ►  ►  ►  ►  

End of Chapter 1

This is just the beginning, so please wait patiently! 

What's going to come up next?

I can't wait too! 

Please subscribe and comment!