Kitty

My Mythical Pet

Irene's P.O.V

 

The rain was falling heavily that day. I was on my way home from school. If I only I didn't walked a different path. If only I didn't come home early that day. If only I wasn't kind that day.

I'm lying on my bed thinking it all. Looking to the left of me. Sleeping peacefully, though a little pout could be seen. I started the soft hair, careful not to disturb her slumber. She stirred a bit and moved closer to me, wrapping her arms around my waist. I smiled at myself seeing her like this. I looked back at her neck where a collar was placed. It always reminded me of when we first met.

It was raining heavily that day. I was on my way back from school. Thankfully, I brought my umbrella with. The way home from the school is a bit far. Since I live alone because my parents were working abroad, I had no one to take me to school. I could take the bus, but it would not come till later. So, I decided to take a shortcut. It wasn't my first time, I had used it when I was late before.

Halfway through, I heard meowing noises near me. I don't know why I went looking for it even though I'm afraid of animals. My instinct told me to keep looking for it. A few minutes later I found the source. It was from a kitten. The kitten had injuries, blood was coming out. I had to do something. I remembered that I had seen an animal hospital near here. I left my umbrella there, grab the kitten lightly and rushed towards the place.

Hours I had spent here, cold from my soaked uniform. But, all that I'm worried about was the kitty, the vet said that there's little chance of survival for the little guy. Somehow I knew in my heart that it would survive. I had been pacing back and forth. The door had been opened, revealing the vet in charge. His face was impossible to decode the meaning. He asked me to come and see for myself. He showed me the way, the smell of blood was intense. There, on the table I could see the kitten. I went closer to it, it was still breathing, not normally but there's still a chance of survival.

I had paid for the medical bill. I held the box in my hand tightly. The vet said that it was a miracle that it survived. They assumed before that there was little to no chance of the surgery being successful let alone it being alive. Looking at the kitty in the box, I knew that I had to be responsible for it. I don't know why but I'm not afraid of this little one as much.

After I arrived home, the first thing that I needed to do was to clean it. Pouring some water into a bowl. I dipped the cloth into it. With care, I cleaned the fur, making sure not to mess with the stitches . As I was cleaning, I couldn't help but notice that its fur was orange under all that blood. After I had finished, I wrapped it in a blanket to raise its temperature.

I took a quick shower and changed into my pyjamas. It was already late, I set the kitty on the bed next to me. I pet its head and it started to purr as it leans onto my hand. My eyelids were heavy, I didn't move my hand away from it. A little while later I was asleep.

The next morning.

My eyes started to open slowly. I still had its fur under my hand. Slowly, I lifted my hands away to go and take a shower. I didn't even look back at it. While I was in the shower I thought about what to do with the kitty after it is healed. Should I give it to someone? I'm scared that I'll be attached to it by then. I could barely even take care of myself.

Closing the shower tap, I grabbed the towel next to me. Wrapping it around. I went to the closet in my bedroom. I heard some noise coming from the bed. It must be the kitten. I walked towards the bed. Secretly excited to see how it's doing today.

I dropped my towel. In front of me was a girl!