Finale: I Knew I Loved You

The Handkerchief Encounter

Finale: I Knew I Loved You

(Jan Di's POV)

"I want to kiss you."

That was what Ji Hoo had said...

I felt my heart flip, but I didn't waver, nor did I look away. He'd stopped my hair and was now on his side, facing me and gazing into my eyes with his dark, gentle ones. He was clearly waiting for some kind of approval, so I gave it to him‒by closing my eyes. Soon after, I felt Ji Hoo's soft lips brushing mine… His hand fell away from my hair to my arm, his fingers squeezing lightly, causing me to arch my back and press my body against him.

Ji Hoo's kiss was short. He pulled back entirely too soon, rested his forehead against mine, and fixed me with a look I'd never seen before. Both thrilling and frightening, he had me completely under his spell. I fluttered my eyes once before timidly leaning forward. At the last second, my eyes closed as I touched my lips to his.

And then it became a game of rules and turns. He would kiss me softly, and I would return his kiss in equal measure. We started slow and easy, but it was quickly building...

Our kisses grew longer at an exponential rate, and the room got hotter. His hands had drifted from my arms to my waist. They slipped around to my back, wandering up and down and bunching my clothing in the process. His touch felt so amazing, even through my cotton pajama top, and I suddenly wondered what his hands would feel like on my bare skin…

I didn't have long to wait to find out. He was caressing so vigorously that my top rode up, exposing a sliver of skin. When his hand slid down and touched that small piece of skin, I jumped. It was nothing like touching my own skin.

"Sorry," Ji Hoo apologized. And he immediately pulled down my pajama top to cover the exposed part.

"It's...it's okay."

Breathing heavily, we faced one another‒so close that our noses touched. Ji Hoo seemed to be debating on what to do next, and I was experiencing this dilemma, too.

The intensity of his gaze was too much…I couldn't maintain eye contact, but I didn't want to stop, so I hugged him hard around the neck and buried my face in his shoulder‒his cream-colored henley sleepshirt smelled like him. He held me tighter and gently dug his fingers into my back. Sighing, I enjoyed the sensation of his hands on my back, but I already missed the feel of them against my bare skin.

When I grew bold enough to look up again, I placed my palm against his face and kissed him, and he responded right away. While his lips moved over mine, I ventured to running my fingers through his hair. I couldn't help it; it was so close, so soft and smelled so nice.

After breaking our kiss, it was his turn to bury his face in my shoulder. I continued to his hair, and he nuzzled his nose against my neck. I shivered a bit at this.


(Ji Hoo's POV)

So much had changed over the past few weeks between Jan Di and me, and here we were in bed together again. But this time it was different. The last time had been completely innocent, but this time, a little less so. What started out as, perhaps, sympathy‒because we were both emotional and not exactly thinking clearly‒had morphed into something else…

I could hardly believe how Jan Di was responding to my kisses and touches, and I thanked the heavens above for my good fortune. But this turn of events was simultaneously exciting and terrifying because I could so easily take it too far and screw up everything we'd built over the years‒all the friendship, the companionship, the trust.

I wanted her, that was for sure, but I definitely didn't want to lose all that, so I needed to be cautious. But being cautious had never played out well for me in the past…

When our kisses grew hotter, I thought I might explode, and I wasn't sure how to proceed. If she was any other girl, I think I would know what to do, but this was Jan Di‒and she was unlike anyone I'd ever known. As ferocious as Geum Jan Di was when standing up to Jun Pyo, defying his mother, or fighting against injustice, she was quite timid in the love department.

In fact, the last time I tried to deepen a kiss, I'd frightened her. This time she seemed to be welcoming me; although, I knew that any second she could return to her senses and escape to her own room. And I didn't want that. Even if we only lay next to each other tonight, I wanted her here in my bed.

Right now, I was simply trying to find that delicate balance between my own urges and what she would allow. As much as I desired her, I loved and respected her 100 times more. Above all, I wanted to show her that. I wanted her to be comfortable and know that I would never hurt her in any way.

I'd nearly gotten carried away a few times but managed to restrain myself, and I told myself that I would know when to stop because I knew her. She was encouraging me, so I kept going. Reminding myself that I had the control, I pushed the limits a bit further and pressed my lips to her neck…


(Jan Di's POV)

When I felt Ji Hoo softly kiss my neck, I gasped.

His lips frozen against my neck, he asked, "You okay?"

"Yes," I answered, a bit shakily. And he gave me another kiss there. As he peppered delicate kisses along my neck, I was sure I'd never felt such pleasure. Having discovered that I really enjoyed the sensation, I dropped my head back, fully exposing my throat. I felt his hand cup my cheek, gentle but firm, and I sighed as his lips sank in a bit deeper. He tangled a hand in my hair and then caressed my cheek with the back of his knuckle. Skillfully, he my jawline like keys on a piano while sprinkling kisses on the other side. His lips teased my earlobe and trailed down, ending with gentle nips along my collarbone.

Suddenly, I'd become very aware of my body and all the sensations coursing through it. I couldn't believe what was happening. I certainly didn't expect this when I entered his room tonight…

I'd come here seeking to comfort him‒and myself. I'd felt unusually emotional after Harabeoji's collapse, but I guess it wasn't so unusual... The old doctor meant a lot to me already, and seeing Sunbae's reaction earlier had driven me to tears. I just kept thinking...what if he dies? What will become of Sunbae then?

Then this happened.

I hadn't really believed that things could just 'happen,' despite what I'd heard. I'd always thought that if a person had a little self-control these kinds of things wouldn't happen, but here we were...and I was quickly realizing how easy it is to fall into a situation like this, especially with such a man as the one lying next to me now.

And to think it was me who had started the whole thing by climbing into bed with him!

Our kisses and touches were tentative, experimental. He moved carefully, checking sporadically for any sign that I wanted him to stop. I didn't, and I felt a little bit guilty about that. But why should I? Was there anything wrong with doing something that felt so good…? In some cases, yes, and in others, no.

The taste of his lips stole my thoughts…

Embarrassingly, I couldn't stop the sighs and whimpers that slipped out nearly every time his lips or hands met my mouth or skin, and I only pulled back when I felt the need for air.

"S-sunbae…," I murmured breathlessly. He stopped for a moment to breathe, himself, and he looked into my eyes. He studied my face and then gave me an out. "Jan Di-ah, if you want, we can just go to sleep. I won't‒"

I cut him off with a kiss. He presented me with that beautiful, sweet smile of his, the unforgettable one that always banished my fears and worries, even if only for a moment, and he hugged me.

Being here in Ji Hoo's arms, I felt so safe. I'd always felt safe with him, but something else had taken over now… My worries were still in the background of my mind, but when Ji Hoo kissed me and touched me, I went to another place. I didn't know where, but it was someplace I could stay for hours and hours upon end. The feel of his strong arms around me and his long fingers caressing my back and arms made me never want to leave there. I felt comfortable, secure, and so loved. And I wanted to remain forever in this perfect moment…


(Ji Hoo's POV)

As I held her in my arms and her hair, I was convinced Jan Di was completely unaware of how much power she had over me‒I'd probably submit to her every demand if only she asked. Since our relationship changed, I also realized how little control I felt around her, but I could deal with that. I was just so overjoyed that she was with me...

Jan Di must have been exhausted because she fell asleep in my arms before we could take things any further. But it was alright; this was enough for me right now.

That night, while we lovingly clung to each other for warmth and comfort, I was convinced that everything would be okay. Somehow having Jan Di at my side made me so much stronger and more optimistic. I tucked a stray piece of hair behind her ear and leaned in to place a kiss on her forehead. With a smile on my face, I watched her sleeping peacefully, and I drifted off not long after.


Forever…

(Ji Hoo's POV)

Jun Pyo's wedding approached like an unstoppable force, and before I knew it, we were on a plane headed for Jeju Island. While Grandfather recovered at home in the capable hands of the best nurse I could hire, Jan Di sat beside me, next to the window. Yi Jeong and Ga Eul sat across from us, and Woo Bin was in front.

Jae Kyung, Jun Pyo, and their parents had taken the Shinwha private jet separately. Of course, Madam Kang would never allow the five of us to travel with her son, particularly Jan Di, and the fact that we even associated with Jan Di made us as good as dirt to her. But Ha Jae Kyung had requested Jan Di as her maid of honor, and of course Jan Di agreed‒because she was a kind person and a good friend. Because of this, the Witch might tolerate Jan Di being there, but I knew she still didn't trust her, and she'd probably expect her son to pull some stunt, so I planned to be on high alert. I made sure Yi Jeong and Woo Bin were aware of this, too.

The entire flight, Jan Di barely said a word. She just stared out the window as if deep in thought. It was troubling me greatly. I was trying to be a comforting presence, but knowing Jan Di as well as I did, the best thing I could do for her right now was to remain at her side and let her sort through her thoughts. Jan Di was the independent type who needed to work things out for herself whenever she could, though I knew that she appreciated my silent support in times like these.

I was also very concerned for Jun Pyo. In fact, I'd been wracked with guilt over my best friend lately. For starters, I couldn't really say that I'd put forth my best effort in preventing the wedding. Yi Jeong, Woo Bin, and I had met to strategize on what to do, but we'd come up with nothing. For my part, I'd been little help. I told myself it was because I was powerless in this situation, but I was conflicted. No matter how I looked at it, I couldn't get past my ulterior motives because of that pretty little conflict of interest of mine…

I kept thinking that once Jun Pyo was married, Jan Di could completely move on, and she and I could start a fresh relationship. That left me feeling both hopeful and horrible...what about Jun Pyo?

Decidedly, I needed to do whatever I could for him, but even if I managed to help him escape this arranged marriage, I'd moved in on Jan Di right under his nose, and I felt terrible about that. I really needed to talk to him; I owed my best friend that much.

Another thing that had me guilt-ridden was that I hadn't even broken it to Yi Jeong and Woo Bin that Jan Di and I had started something. I needed to tell Jun Pyo first, though, and there was too much going on with him right now, so I'd put it on the backburner. At least, that was my excuse… I guess a part of me was afraid, and I really didn't want to hurt him again.

The bitter icing on top of it all was that Jan Di had been distracted for days… At first I thought she was just feeling shy after our intimate session in my room, but I'd come to believe it was more than that, and I suspected that it had to do with the wedding.

I shouldn't be insecure, yet I was. In my mind, Jan Di and I were together, but we weren't really together. I felt like our burgeoning relationship was on rocky shores, and I hadn't even officially asked her to be my girlfriend, not out of cowardice but because I wanted to be sure her feelings for Jun Pyo were in the past before we went any further. Maybe what happened between us was all a mistake to her…

There was the briefest span of time when I was walking on air over what had happened between Jan Di and me, but there were far too many complications in both our lives to focus on that now, as much as I wanted to. If only things were simple and I could just revel in the fact that I'd made out with the girl of my dreams the other night‒like a normal guy my age‒but no such luck. I'd come to believe that nothing in my life would ever be simple again…


Our cars had been brought over, so upon arrival on Jeju, we took a drive through the countryside to the hotel: Jan Di with me in my mini cooper, Ga Eul with Yi Jeong, and Woo Bin by himself. The coastal view was scenic, and I would have liked to enjoy it with Jan Di, if things weren't so tense.

Along the way, I thought about things... I'd been doing that a lot the past couple days, for weeks, actually. There were some matters I needed to take care of, and I really didn't know what was going to happen over the next two days. I glanced over at Jan Di. She finally looked and smiled at me a bit, and I just tried to enjoy the time I had with her…

We settled into our rooms, and I suggested to Jan Di that she take a rest‒I knew she hadn't slept well lately‒but she was quickly bombarded with messages from Jae Kyung. And Jun Pyo wanted to meet with us, too. So, while Jan Di met up with Jae Kyung, Yi Jeong, Woo Bin, and I went to see Jun Pyo.


The four of us stood side by side on the balcony of Jun Pyo's hotel suite, staring out over the ocean, the breeze blowing through our hair. It felt like a turning point. We all knew this day was coming for most of us, but Jun Pyo was the first. What would become of F4 now? Everything was going to change…

A silence passed between us...

"Are you okay, Jun Pyo-ah?" Woo Bin asked, breaking the silence. Jun Pyo didn't respond.

"Jan Di came with us," I said, glancing over at Jun Pyo.

Jun Pyo didn't look at me but only folded his arms and stared solemnly out across the horizon. "Does this make any sense to you?" he finally spoke. "I don't know who is more foolish, the Monkey for asking Jan Di to be her maid of honor or her for agreeing."

His words angered me, not just because he'd called the woman I loved foolish, but more so because of his casual commentary on the situation. "Who do you think is having the hardest time here?" I demanded.

Jun Pyo stared out over the balcony. "Good thing you're here to help her out," he muttered.

The venom in his words stung. He must still be pissed at me for standing up to him on Jan Di's behalf and for essentially forbidding him from seeing her, but I knew, deep down, that it was more than that. The bigger issue was that Jun Pyo could feel his freedom and his love being ripped away from him all at once. His wedding was tomorrow, and then his life would no longer be his own… He must feel so helpless. I needed to make one last attempt at doing something about it, and I needed to make things right between us.

I needed to talk to him, privately.

I opened my mouth to speak and arrange that, but before I could, Jun Pyo spun around and walked off. We all watched him go and then turned to each other. Perhaps now was as good a time as any to confess my sin to two of my closest friends...

I told them what happened, and I wouldn't say that Woo Bin and Yi Jeong took the news of Jan Di and me well. Woo Bin was more understanding, though. Yi Jeong actually stormed off on me. I assumed he was too mad to even yell at me about it right now, but I knew he'd have plenty to say later. As for Woo Bin, he told me what I already knew, that I should talk to Jun Pyo.

The problem was that Jun Pyo's mother was keeping him extremely busy, and I was sure that was purposeful. Why would the Witch allow him one last night of freedom to relax with his friends? And she certainly wouldn't want to give him any opportunity to see Jan Di.

I'd wondered why the wedding had been pushed forward so quickly…

After Jun Pyo's mother ordered Jan Di's apartment destroyed, she hadn't done anything else to her, and maybe that was because Jun Pyo had been staying away, which was partially because of me. But I assumed that Madam Kang wanted to bend her son‒no, her heir‒to her will as soon as possible for the sake of Shinwha. Once she married Jun Pyo off to the JK Group heiress, there wouldn't be much more he could do to defy her…


Jun Pyo did manage to slip away for a quick soccer game late that afternoon, and I was glad because he really needed us right now. The four of us teamed up for a match; it was Woo Bin and I against Jun Pyo and Yi Jeong. Jun Pyo was a force to be reckoned with, not passing the ball, acting like a one-man team, and completely over exerting himself. He managed to knock all of us down more than once, even his own teammate for 'getting it the way,' and he was particularly rough on me. I supposed this was his way of working out his frustrations‒about the wedding and with me. And that was okay. If it helped him to feel better and forgive me, then so be it.

If only he knew everything, he'd probably do much worse to me…and I'd deserve it…

Although Jun Pyo had no claim to Jan Di (per se) because he was engaged, strong feelings had existed between them, and I had broken an unwritten code among brothers by making a move on her. But I couldn't help it. She wasn't just any girl; she was Jan Di, and I believed her to be my true love. That made the situation totally different. So the saying goes that all is fair in love and war, and I would go into battle for Geum Jan Di time and again…

The game ended with Yi Jeong, Woo Bin, and I sitting in the center of the field chugging sports drinks while Jun Pyo played alone.

"Jun Pyo-ah, come sit down; you're going to pass out!" Woo Bin called to him, but he ignored it.

"Maybe that's what he wants," Yi Jeong pointed out.

With a sigh, I watched him kick yet another goal with all his might.


(Jan Di's POV)

I met with Jae Kyung Unnie shortly after we arrived on Jeju. I found her sitting on a bench, looking out over the beach, just outside the Rainbow Chapel of the Hyatt Regency, where she was to be wed the next day.

"Jan Di, you came. You really came." Jae Kyung said tearfully as she drew me into a hug. After she pulled back, we sat down together. Neither of us spoke right away, but eventually, Unnie did. "I know...that you and Jun Pyo really liked each other."

I turned to her. "Unnie…"

"No, maybe you still do…"

I didn't know what to say, so I just sat there.

"I'm sorry I pretended not to know. I'm...not normally this way. I was a little disloyal and cowardly toward you."

"No, I should have been honest with you," I said.

Jae Kyung shook her head. "I get it. It's not that you didn't want to tell me, but you couldn't." She lowered her head. "Even if you did tell me, it wouldn't have changed anything. I still wouldn't have given up on Jun Pyo."

Then she took my hand and looked at me, her eyes misted over with tears. "I really do like you. If someone asked me to choose the two most precious people in the world to me, it would be Gu Jun Pyo and Geum Jan Di. I'm...so sorry for making your heart ache."

I put my hand on her shoulder and pulled her into a hug. "Unnie…it's okay. I'm really okay. I've moved on."

She hugged me harder. "You don't have to say that, Jan Di-ah. You don't have to pretend..."

"But Unnie, you don't understand...," I began to protest, but she wouldn't listen.

"I promise to make it up to you somehow," she blubbered, holding me tighter. I let out a little sigh, and we hugged a while longer.


Toward sunset, Ji Hoo and I went for a stroll through the Jeju island countryside. If circumstances were different, this would have been nice. It was such a beautiful place, and I would have loved to have enjoyed it with my sunbae, but I couldn't. There was too much on my mind. As we walked through a field of wheat, my mind wandered. It was reeling with questions and things left unsaid, to Jae Kyung, to Jun Pyo, and to Ji Hoo. First and foremost on my mind was how I could solve this problem. What could I possibly do to ensure that everyone would be happy? I didn't know if there was anything I could do.

Admittedly, I had mixed feelings about the wedding tomorrow. What I'd told Unnie about moving on was true, though she refused to believe it. My heart wasn't broken like before, but I still felt...something...for Jun Pyo. More than that, though, I was worried‒because I wanted them both to be happy. Jae Kyung loved Jun Pyo, but he didn't seem to love her, and I didn't want to see my dear friend stuck in a loveless marriage. She was a good person, and she didn't deserve that. Maybe Jun Pyo would learn to love her...I really hoped so. And how could he not? She was such a cool person.

But that couldn't be the right way to go about it, that wasn't what a marriage was supposed to be like…


(Ji Hoo's POV)

I could tell that Jan Di was lost in her thoughts again because she was staring down at her feet and stumbling along, not paying any attention. When she nearly tripped I caught her. Turning to face her, I placed a hand on each side of her face. She looked up, though she seemed to look straight through me. There was a light breeze in the air, gently moving the wheat and making it a bit chilly. Her light, brown jacket gave her some warmth but surely not enough, so I used that as an excuse. I brought my hands down to her shoulders, and leaning forward, I pressed a kiss to her forehead. "It's cold. Let's go inside," I said. She didn't say a word but allowed me to lead her away by the shoulders.

I took her to the Mint restaurant on the top floor of the hotel. We took a quick walk through the outdoor flower garden before going inside, as it was not to be missed. Then I ordered a 4-course meal of caviar, jeonbok, and lobster for us, with tea to drink and green tea tiramisu‒to split–for dessert, hoping it would cheer her up some. Jan Di always got really happy when having good food, but she was unusually quiet during the meal. And I got that gnawing feeling in my gut again…

She must be missing him. She must be having second thoughts…

I rose from my seat and looked out through the floor-to-ceiling glass windows of the restaurant. The sun was beginning to set, creating an even more stunning view of Sunrise Peak and the rocky volcanic shores. Another wonderful sight I wanted to share with her, if only she wasn't feeling so depressed.

I couldn't ignore the sinking feeling that Jan Di was still in love with my best friend. Of course she was. Love doesn't go away that easily; I should know. Had I just been fooling myself all these weeks‒thinking her heart belonged to me now? Had I seen only what I wanted to see? We had jumped in quickly, and even though I didn't believe Jan Di would use me, maybe I had pushed her…

It would be so easy to just let tomorrow pass, to preoccupy Jan Di until then, and afterward, I would do everything in my power to make her forget all the bad, to forget him. Maybe she never would completely, but I could live with that. We could make new, happy memories together. That was still my plan‒to make her as happy as I possibly could.

It was then that a thought struck me, one that hit me harder than a punch: I wanted to make her truly happy, and even though I didn't want to admit it, maybe she would be happiest with Jun Pyo.

It hurt that I couldn't do more for her; it ached that I couldn't be the one, but…

Having decided, I spoke. "Today may be your last chance...with Jun Pyo." Resolutely, I turned to face her. "If you want to hold onto him, this is your last chance."

She stared at me with that empty look in her eyes and then glanced down.

. . .

"Since I got to know you I wanted only one thing: for you to be happy and not cry anymore, to smile brightly like the day we met. After tomorrow comes, I'm afraid you'll never smile again, and that scares me."

She glanced over at me, holding her head high. "I can smile, and I will smile... How could I not, with you, Sunbae, watching out for me?"

My lips parted at her words. What she said touched me, but I knew she was putting on that brave face again. In that moment, a few tears fell from her eyes. "Ahh, I think the salty air got to me," she made the excuse as she wiped at the tears with her sleeve.

Calmly, I made my way over, pulling out my handkerchief in the process. I sat in the chair beside her and reached over to wipe the tears, but she brushed my hand away. "I'm fine," she snapped. I flinched. "My tears are so used to being wiped away by you, Sunbae," she blurted out. "That's why they keep stupidly falling like this."

I retracted the handkerchief, squeezing it tightly between my thumb and forefinger in frustration as she finished wiping the rest of the droplets away herself.


(Jan Di's POV)

I knew he meant well, but I was upset with Ji Hoo. How could he so easily dismiss what had happened between us and push me toward Jun Pyo again, a soon-to-be-married man who I couldn't be with anyway?

No one seemed to believe that I could have moved on from Jun Pyo so soon, not even Ji Hoo, who I had shared passionate kisses and touches, and even a bed, with. Had I moved on too quickly? Was there something wrong with me?

Right now, I felt confusion and regret. For one, I'd hurt Ji Hoo again by pushing him away when he was only trying to comfort me... In my heart, I knew that he was only trying to do what he thought best for me, to give me the chance to cut our strings and run to Jun Pyo. But how could I do that, even if I wanted to? And how could he so easily let me?

"So, when you said it was my last chance, what did you mean by that? What are you saying exactly?" I spoke up after I wiped away my tears.

"I'm saying I'll do whatever it takes to make you happy," he replied.

I felt my chest heave as my eyes burned into him. "So, are you saying that if I want to be with Jun Pyo we should run away together? Are you saying that you'll help me do that?"

My words seemed to catch him off-guard for a moment. I watched him take a deep breath. "I don't know if there is anything I can do, but if that's what you want...I'll try to help you," he said.

He seemed entirely too calm about this, even for him, and it hurt that he was unwilling to fight for me. "So, that's it?" I scoffed. "After all we've been through together these past few weeks, no, months...no, years….after all that, after all you said to me about our future, you're just going to give up on me?"

He was utterly serene. "It's not that I want to, Jan Di. I just want to give you the choice. I want you to be happy, so whatever you decide, I'll accept it."

I wanted to throw something at him, but only because I didn't know how to react. How could he be that selfless? This was something Gu Jun Pyo would never say. He would hold on tight and never let go, no matter what. "I don't understand you at all, Yoon Ji Hoo!" I raised my voice, then glanced around upon realizing how loud I'd been.

But when I really thought about it, Jun Pyo did let me go, didn't he? Twice. During the truth-or-dare game he said he wouldn't, but he did.

I realized I'd overreacted to what Ji Hoo had said, and it wasn't even because of him…it was just all my frustration coming out. "Sunbae…I'm sorry. I just...don't know how a person can be this way…how can you do this?"

Ji Hoo let out a small sigh. "Because I love you."

I felt myself welling up again, not because the man I loved was getting married to another woman tomorrow, but because the man I loved was before me now, saying he loved me so much that he was willing to let me go…

I didn't say I loved him back; I couldn't right now. Instead, I kept my voice low and asked, "And you assume that being with Jun Pyo will make me happy?"

"Yes. I know how you feel about him."

"Felt," I corrected.

Ji Hoo sighed. "That kind of love doesn't just go away, Jan Di."

He didn't have to tell me that, for crying out loud. He should know how much I'd suffered to get over Jun Pyo, and when I finally did, he was pushing me away… I didn't want to stay here and argue with him in public, so I asked for him to take me back.

We took the glass elevator down in silence. I was staring into the interior of the hotel, and he was looking the other direction. And then I saw Jun Pyo, Jae Kyung, her parents, and Madam Kang dining on the first level restaurant. When Jun Pyo looked my direction, I turned away. I wasn't sure why, out of habit maybe…

Ji Hoo noticed this; he looked into the restaurant and then back at me, and I avoided his gaze. No doubt he thought I was hurting over seeing Jun Pyo, and though I felt a bit of a twinge in my stomach, it wasn't the hard knot it had been before. Maybe Ji Hoo was right to say that I wasn't over it, but I truly felt I was getting better. I supposed tomorrow would be the true challenge...

Without saying a word, Ji Hoo slipped his hand into mine, and we walked out of the elevator together…

He took me back to my room, but before he left, I surprised him by asking if he could arrange a meeting between Jun Pyo and me without anyone finding out. There were some things I needed to say...

"I'll see what I can do," he said, before stuffing his hands into his pockets and walking away.


(Ji Hoo's POV)

Jan Di wanted to speak with Jun Pyo, and while that worried me, I had promised to make her happy no matter what, so I would oblige. But before I could contact him, Jun Pyo contacted me. Strangely, that had happened a few times before.

Darkness had fallen, and I met him outside by the illuminated pool as he'd requested. We stood there silently, side by side at the water's edge.

"Ji Hoo-ah," he finally spoke.

"Say it."

We continued staring out ahead.

"Ji Hoo, you're my brother. You always have been, and you always will be. I know that you could live just fine without me...but what would I do without you?"

Despite how I was feeling, I smirked a bit. "You aren't by chance asking me to help you run away tomorrow, are you?"

He turned to me. "Hit me?"

"What?" I looked at him this time.

"I need to take a hit from you."

I contemplated it. Part of me really wanted to hit him for all he'd put Jan Di through and for still holding her heart despite everything. But another part of me felt like it was I who deserved the hit.

"Do it." he insisted.

The mixture of frustration and jealousy that I was feeling, combined with the guilt churning in my stomach was a deadly cocktail, and I just needed to do something, so I tightened my jaw, reared back, and punched him in the face. He crumpled to the ground, and I released a heavy exhale. It was rather cathartic. Feeling a bit better, I bent down and offered him my hand, but he didn't take it. He just sat there, resting his arm on his knee.

"Jun Pyo-ah, there's something I need to‒"

But he cut me off. "Jan Di…," he said, ignoring me altogether, "I can't let her go."

I squinted down at him, and he went on.

"I know why you tried to keep me away before... You know, there was a time when I considered sending her to you...because I was always causing her problems. I didn't even want to think about it, but if I had to, I thought that it had to be you. I would only give her up to you…"

"Gu Jun Pyo…"

"But I don't think I can."

I stared down at him, unable to take much more. I needed to come clean, but I didn't want to mess things up between Jun Pyo and Jan Di, if they still had a shot, and I didn't want her going into a conversation with a furious Jun Pyo, so I bit my tongue. "Jan Di wants to speak with you," was all I said.

. . .


(Jan Di's POV)

A half hour after parting with me, Ji Hoo sent me a message, telling me to meet Jun Pyo by the pool in ten minutes. So, I went. I was feeling very nervous about it, even though I'd been practicing over and over what I was going to say to him.

When I saw Jun Pyo standing there in his black suit, I couldn't help but think how handsome he looked. His hair was a bit different now, too. It had been awhile since I'd seen him up close like this, and it brought back some old feelings.

Refocusing, I went to his side but kept my distance. "Gu Jun Pyo," I spoke in my strongest voice. He turned to me. "Geum Jan Di."

Breathing heavily, he moved closer, and I could tell he was fighting the urge to take me in his arms. A small part of me wished he would…but no, this was for the best! I was moving on; so would he, and I didn't want to take any steps backward. I held up my hands to keep him at bay, but he ignored it, and he grabbed me roughly by the shoulders. I wriggled around in his grasp, but he clamped down so hard that I gave up. Holding me by the arms, he whispered, "I missed you."

Don't do this to me

"Did you miss me?" he asked.

I looked away. There was no way in hell I was answering that. "That's not what I came to talk about."

Jun Pyo sighed. "Then what?"

"Well, I wanted to say that…" I suddenly lost everything I'd rehearsed in my head. Oh, why is this so hard?! I started again. "I wanted to say that… I wish you happiness."

"What?" His eye twitched as if I'd just said something completely outrageous.

"I hope you'll be happy," I repeated mechanically, though I really meant it.

"That's...that's all you have to say to me?" He squeezed my shoulders a bit too hard, and I nearly winced.

"No…" The next part was much harder. "I also need to tell you that I'm...moving on, and I want you to, as well."

"Geum Jan Di...you…you..." He shook me a bit. I could see him beginning to tear up, and that made me want to cry.

I continued in a calm manner, though I was anything but calm inside. "I'm sorry, Gu Jun Pyo, but this is how it has to be." I took a shaky breath. "...I really liked you a lot, and you'll always be special to me, but...we need to say goodbye to each other, for good, at least to what we had before. We can still be friends, though."

"Be friends?" He dropped his hands and turned away from me, gripping his hair. He took a few quick paces and spun around again. "I can't believe this, Jan Di! How could you be saying this?! I don't understand!" He flailed his arms in disbelief.

I sighed. "Gu Jun Pyo, please understand. That night...the night of the truth-or-dare game, when you asked me if our promise was still valid...and I said no…well, that night, I decided I was going to try to let you go. It wasn't easy...it was really, really hard, in fact, but somehow, I managed to do it."

Jun Pyo scoffed. "So, that's it? You're just over me?!"

I knew I'd hurt him badly. It was like how I felt when Ji Hoo tried to push me away earlier. That only solidified my decision, recalling the way my heart had twisted when Ji Hoo said that…

"There's something else, Jun Pyo…" Taking a deep breath, I prepared to tell him about Ji Hoo and me. "Ji Hoo…," I began, but I didn't get very far.

"Ji Hoo?" he questioned. He must have picked up on the fact that I wasn't calling him sunbae.

"Yes, Ji Hoo."

"What about him?"

I didn't know how best to put it. I decided to give him the watered-down version to spare his feelings. "Ji Hoo and I…" Jun Pyo's body tensed at the mention of the two of us as a unit, but I didn't falter. "We...kissed," I managed to get out.

Jun Pyo's mouth dropped open for a moment, and I prepared for the explosion. "You...you kissed?!" he stammered.

I looked down in shame, though I had nothing to be ashamed of. "Yes, I'm sorry." Wait, why was I apologizing? I guess I felt bad for hurting him…

"How could you do that?!" he shouted.

I released a sharp exhale. "Because...because I like him! You and I weren't together, anyway..." I glanced away.

"When did this happen?!"

"Well…" Which time? "That doesn't matter, Jun Pyo. The point is, I'm moving on, and I hope you will, too." I turned to walk off because it was too difficult seeing him near tears like this. I could barely contain my own.

He didn't seem to want to let me leave, though, and I suddenly felt him turning me around. "So, you and Ji Hoo are together now?!" He gripped my shoulders hard.

"I...I don't know."

Jun Pyo scoffed. "How can you not know?!"

"I just don't know!" I shouted in frustration. Speaking a bit more softly, I said, "Jae Kyung Unnie...is a wonderful person, and she really loves you. I think she suits you, and maybe you should give her a chance, but if you don't think you can show her the love she deserves, then you shouldn't marry her. I don't want to see her hurt. I don't want to see her abandoned at the altar, for sure, but I don't want to see her in a loveless marriage, either. She deserves better than that. I hope you'll make the right choice." With that, I wrenched myself from his hands, and I walked quickly away, wiping the tears that had fallen onto my cheeks.


I headed back to my room with a knot in my stomach and feeling emotionally spent. That didn't go well at all, but I guess it could have been worse. And at least I'd gotten some closure. I hoped that he did, too, or at least would soon. But knowing Gu Jun Pyo as I did, he might stubbornly try to hold on.

When I returned, Ji Hoo was waiting outside my door, leaning against the wall with his eyes closed. I smiled a bit and let out a soft sigh. When I approached him, he opened his eyes.

"Jan Di...you're back. Is everything okay?"

He could always tell when something was wrong, though this time it wasn't hard to guess that I was upset. My eyes and face were surely red and swollen. I didn't need to look at myself to know; I could feel it.

"Yes." I ed the flap to my purse and reached in, fumbling for my room key. When I couldn't locate it right away, he led me to his own room a couple doors down.

Once inside, Ji Hoo sat me on his king-sized bed and took a seat next to me. I expected him to ask me how it went, but he didn't. Instead, he just sat there, waiting for me to say something, which was so Ji Hoo-like. I avoided eye contact with him, but eventually, I started to tear up. He pulled out his handkerchief for the second time that day, gently captured my chin, and began to dry my tears. This time I let him.

I went on to tell Ji Hoo everything. He listened carefully to my words with a look of understanding on his face. Halfway through, he put an arm around my shoulders, and I leaned into his touch a bit. He continued to listen intently, occasionally rubbing my arm.

I exhaled at the end of my story, and I felt him give me a comforting squeeze.

"Ji Hoo, I know I haven't been myself lately…," I wrung my hands in my lap. "Well, for a long time, really. I'd like to say that now I can get back to my old self, but I don't think that can ever happen…"

Ji Hoo's brow wrinkled.

"But don't worry," I said, looking up at him, "because...like I told you, I'm different now. Not better or worse, just different. These experiences with Jun Pyo and with you changed me, and that's okay. Life is about change and adapting to those changes. If it all stayed the same, where's the fun in that?" I smiled a little.

He gave a single nod, keeping a straight face on. But he still looked concerned.

"I've been worrying about so many things lately, about Grandfather, about the wedding... I've been worried about how it would go and would Gu Jun Pyo and Unnie be happy...things like that…"

I stood and began pacing across the room. I just felt the need to do so for this next part…

"I've been thinking a lot these past few months, about myself and what I want, especially over the past few weeks."

. . .

"And…" I took a breath as I turned around to look at him; he was sitting patiently on the bed. "I realized that...I love you, Yoon Ji Hoo, and I want to be with you...always."

Ji Hoo's eyes darted back and forth before focusing on me again. "Jan Di-ah…" He uttered my name almost like a question, as if he didn't believe what I just told him. From across the room, I smiled at him. I watched him stand and approach me. He got close, very close, and leaned in…

And then we were kissing...but not just kissing; we were forcefully storming each other's mouths. Our kisses were hotter and deeper than before, needy and desperate. Before I knew it, Ji Hoo had taken hold of my arms and pressed me up against the wall, trapping me there with his body. He had never been so rough with me, but I wasn't complaining. His hands tangled in my hair as he gently explored my mouth, and this time, I didn't pull away. I wanted to show him that it was okay, that I meant what I said; I wanted to prove how much I loved and cared for him, so I tried to do as he did…

So focused on kissing him was I that I wasn't doing anything else. I simply stood there, stiff, gripping the wall behind me. All the while his hands roamed the length of my upper body, falling softly from my neck, grazing my clavicle, and sliding down my arms. He wrapped one arm around my back and the other around my waist, and he pulled me against him. When I hugged him back, I could feel his heart pounding against mine.

Somehow, I managed to spin us around, knocking him back against the wall. I placed my hands on his chest and leaned into him, and he pulled me closer, kissing me deeply. His hands went to my waist, and he started guiding me backward, toward the bed. After a few steps, he lifted me. I tangled my legs around his waist and wrapped my arms around his neck. And our lips met again.

Supporting my back, he carried me to the bed amidst passionate gasps for air. He broke off our kiss long enough to set me on the edge of the bed; I disentangled, allowing him to do so. He placed one hand on each side of me on the bed and leaned down to kiss me again. With one arm around my waist and the other behind my neck, he cradled me as gently as a baby, and he laid me back.

Immediately, I scurried backward on the bed to give him room, and he climbed in, too. We laid down together, staying atop the covers. Facing one another, we embraced and kissed, rolling around a bit. I began to wonder how long this could go on, though I wasn't ready to stop anytime soon. The only problem was that my body was quickly overheating…

I didn't know how it happened, but suddenly, we were removing pieces of each other's clothing. It started out innocently enough with him helping me out of my jacket and tossing it aside. I was thankful for that because it had gotten entirely too warm. I followed suit and tugged at his green jacket; he took it the rest of the way off and tossed it near mine. We were both wearing scarves today; he untied my red patterned one and dropped it over the edge of the bed, and then I worked on his. I struggled with it, so he also finished that off for me. Then we stopped for a moment…

We exchanged a silent approval with our eyes and kissed again. Ji Hoo ran his hand down the side of my dress and along my nylons. He still hadn't ventured to touching any sensitive areas, though my body seemed to long for this because when he got close, I reacted strongly.

I didn't know what possessed me then, but I began to undo the buttons of his shirt. I blushed to think that I wanted to remove his shirt completely, but he had a vest over it‒making it more complicated‒so I simply worked on a few buttons. As I did so, my hands trembled, not so much from nervousness as from adrenaline, I thought. Noticing this, he took my hands in his, kissed each one, and helped me. Once his shirt was halfway opened, I took a moment to run my hand along his muscular chest and shoulder. I could feel the warmth radiating from him, and the feel of his skin was incredible, so soft and smooth and tight.

Then I recalled the amazing feeling of his lips on my neck, and I wondered if he would like that, too. Garnering my courage further, I leaned in and placed my lips where he had before. I felt him jerk as my lips brushed along the skin of his neck and moved down to his partially exposed chest. I placed a few soft kisses there, and I heard him groan.

I soon realized that Ji Hoo was as excited as me‒I could feel it, and it shocked me at first. When I pulled back, he apologized. I shook it off because I wanted to continue, but my shyness overtook me. Blushing, I buried my face in his shoulder.

I always did this when I got embarrassed; I'd hide from him. I felt like such a child…

Ji Hoo always knew how to handle it, though, and he simply hugged me and my back. Taking a moment to cool things down, I assumed, he lay on his back but kept his arm around me. I did the same, resting my head against his arm like a pillow while staring up at the ceiling. Taking steady, calming breaths, I tried to think straight, but my head was spinning. I couldn't believe all that had happened this evening, and I was ashamed to admit that I wanted more. It wasn't in hope of comfort, either. It wasn't the need to feel better after a trying day; I just needed to feel him… Stupid hormones!


(Ji Hoo's POV)

My emotions had run the gamut today. I had been feeling horrible all day long, and now, I was feeling so good that it seemed unreal. When Jan Di told me the story of her conversation with Jun Pyo, I felt bad for my best friend, and I wondered if he was okay and if we were okay. Would this ruin our friendship forever, or could we somehow work it out?

Then Jan Di told me that she loved me and wanted to be with me, and it was as if I couldn't see anything but her. Had my dreams finally come true? That was when I lost all control, and I had to kiss her. It started roughly against the wall, and then I led her to the bed, not because I was expecting more‒anything more would just be bonus‒but so she would be more comfortable.

I was shocked when Jan Di started to my shirt, and when she kissed my neck and chest, I couldn't contain myself. She immediately noticed my very obvious bodily response and pulled away from me, and I was sure I'd ruined the moment, perhaps the rest of the evening. She hugged me shyly, and hoping to fix it, I gave her some space.


I turned toward Jan Di now; she was staring up at the ceiling. "How are you?" I asked. She timidly glanced over at me. "I'm good." She smiled, and I her soft cheek with the back of my fingers. I wanted to continue, but I knew I should proceed slowly, so I kissed her forehead. I moved on to place gentle kisses on her cheeks and her nose. She seemed fine with this and closed her eyes, and I kissed her eyelids. When she opened her eyes again, she pecked my lips, and I slowly drew her in for another, longer kiss.

And things started to build again…

I kissed her neck like she enjoyed so much and began moving my hands over her. When I got close to her s, I got just the barest feel, but I hesitated. Not wanting to upset her, I rested my hands just below instead. She had been running her hands along my chest and arms, but when I stopped, so did she.

What she did next completely shocked me. She took my hands, interlaced her fingers with mine for a few seconds, and then placed my hands on her chest. I looked into her eyes to be sure she wanted this before proceeding to caress her s. She sighed and closed her eyes, running her hands over mine as I touched her. Unable to restrain myself any longer, I began to undo the front buttons of her dress.

Having exposed her a bit now, I took a moment to gaze upon her chest, and I noticed her cheeks redden at this. I observed her while delicately tracing the curves of her s against her light pink bra with my fingertips.

. . .

The buzzing of Jan Di's phone from inside her purse on the bedside table distracted her. She ignored it and returned her attention to me. I kissed her softly while caressing her right , but then the damn thing buzzed again.

"Sorry," she said, pulling away. "Unnie might need me…"

"It's okay," I muttered, though it was hard to conceal my disappointment. I must've looked and sounded like a little boy after being told he had to stop playing, but Jan Di didn't seem to notice.

She sat up, and with a sigh, I did, too.

Suddenly, Jan Di seemed aware of her exposed state, though she didn't seem to mind or notice minutes ago. She turned away from me and began buttoning her dress, and then she swung her legs over the edge of the bed. Begrudgingly, I started to button my own shirt while she went to check her phone.


(Jan Di's POV)

I couldn't believe how far things had gotten with Ji Hoo, and so quickly. I'd felt like we were on the verge of something big when a loud buzz, several, actually, interrupted us. Perhaps it was my conscience calling to tell me to get myself under control?

Reluctantly, I disentangled myself from Ji Hoo and checked my phone. Jae Kyung wanted to meet with me. I really didn't want to go, but she said she needed me…

As I headed to see her, I worried that perhaps Jun Pyo had broken things off with her and she was heartbroken. When I walked into her room, though, she was dressed in a light blue, ruffled strapless gown and only wanted my input on dresses. I was relieved but also frustrated that she'd dragged me away from Ji Hoo for this. But I was the maid of honor and duty-bound to the bride's every whim, so I went with it.

Jae Kyung had dresses splayed out across the bed and table and a few hung up on display. She wanted me to pick one for her to wear after the ceremony.

"They're all really pretty, Unnie," I said, doing my best to hide how little I cared about this decision.

Dresses were the last thing on my mind, really. I knew how much was happening right now and what a big day tomorrow was… It was my ex-boyfriend's wedding, so I should be feeling sad or nostalgic, right? But I wasn't. I'd already grieved so much for him over the past few months, and I felt like I'd gotten closure tonight. I knew that I should be feeling terrible for breaking his heart tonight, but all I could really think about was Ji Hoo...

My mind wandered to earlier, to our kisses and touches, to the feel of his skin and the taste of his lips, to undressing each other as if it was the most natural thing in the world… How did that happen, anyway? It had all been so sudden, and I should be feeling embarrassed or freaked, right? But I wasn't feeling that way at all. Instead, I could only picture Ji Hoo in his room, waiting for me…for me, of all people‒a common girl without looks, wealth, status, or anything to really offer him. Why did he love me? Why did he choose me?

Maybe it was a good thing we were interrupted because who knows what would have happened if we weren't…?

I wasn't so worried about it, though, because I knew Ji Hoo would never push me to do something I wasn't ready for. But what about me? I wanted him, that much was clear, but was I really ready to take that step? I didn't think so, but it was okay because‒I hoped‒we would be together forever, so there would be plenty of time for that. Of course, now that I'd gotten a taste of perfection, I was surely a goner…

How would I ever be able to resist him?

I started to wonder what would happen when I returned. Would we pick up where we left off, or like a passing breeze, was the moment gone?

"You can't say that," Unnie interrupted my thoughts. "That's not helpful at all. As my maid of honor it's your duty to give me your complete, honest opinion."

Maybe I should just pick one so I could go… I immediately felt guilty about that thought.

I put on a smile. "But they are all really pretty," I said. She smiled a bit, and I started to inspect the dresses closer because I really wanted to be a supportive friend.

It was then that Jae Kyung got a message. She picked up her phone and walked into the bedroom. Before I could choose a dress, she came back out and informed me that she needed to meet with Jun Pyo, and she left. I started to worry again, wondering what he had to say to her...


(Jae Kyung's POV)

I got a message from Jun indicating that he needed to speak with me, and I felt my stomach drop out. Was he going to break off our wedding? Probably. I knew he didn't love me, and even though I felt guilty about him and Jan Di, a part of me had hoped he would go through with it. If we were married, we would be together always, which was what I wanted. And even if he didn't love me right away, maybe he would grow to love me. Some might call me crazy, but I thought that was kind of romantic…

We met in the chapel that we were to be married in. Jun was seated in one of the pews, his head hung and looking distraught. I knew he loved Jan Di, but was it really so terrible the thought of marrying me? I went and sat next to him. When he finally looked at me, I realized he'd been crying. It made my heart clench.

"Jun…," I spoke softly.

He didn't say anything right away but finally gave in. "Jan Di...is with Ji Hoo now."

"What?" I questioned. When did that happen? I knew they were close friends and Ji Hoo clearly loved her, but they're...together now? I was surprised she hadn't said anything about it, but thinking back to her arrival on the island, she had said something about being over Jun… I just didn't believe she meant it.

A part of me was thrilled because this might mean that Jun Pyo would be willing to go through with our marriage now, but another part of me ached because the man I loved was in pieces. And he really was…

It was then that the mighty Gu Jun Pyo crumbled before my very eyes. He didn't say a word but started to cry, actually cried loudly, right there in the church. I didn't know what else to do, so I just placed my arm around his shoulders. To my surprise, he pulled me into a tight hug. He buried his face in my shoulder. I just embraced him back and let him cry it out in my arms.

After he got himself together, he stood up, and I did, too. And then I got my second shock of the night.

My eyes widened at the sight of the great Gu Jun Pyo dropping to one knee before me. He looked up at me. "Monkey...," he began but corrected himself, "No, Ha Jae Kyung, I can't marry you. Forgive me."

My lips parted. "Jun…"

"I don't love you. I love Jan Di. She's the first girl I ever loved since I was born. She'll always be the only one, even if she's moved on now, even if I can never have her."

My chest began to heave, and I felt as if my legs would give out. He wasn't saying anything I didn't already knew, but it really hurt to hear it from his lips.

You idiot, why do I have to love you so much?

"So, do you still want to marry me?"

I nodded.

"Are you crazy?"

Maybe I was, but I couldn't help but like how loyal Jun Pyo was and how hard he loved. If only he could love me like that someday… I must be an idiot, too.

After taking a shaky breath, I spoke firmly. "Gu Jun Pyo, you listen to me and listen well. There's nothing for me to forgive because tomorrow we will be man and wife."

He was clearly shocked by this.

Glancing away, I said, "It's late, and I need to get up early to have my makeup done, so I'll go now." With that, I turned and left him there.

As I walked away from my husband-to-be, I contemplated the possibility that I was indeed crazy...but my rationale was that I was willing to wait as long as it took for Jun to love me, and in the meantime, I would show him all the love I had for him inside of me, even if it wasn't returned...

  


The Next Morning (Day of the Wedding)...

(Ji Hoo's POV)

I woke up the next morning to the sound of an alarm going off. When I glanced over, Jan Di was next to me. I recalled that when she came back last night we'd just ended up cuddling and falling asleep together. The alarm blared again; she bolted upright and exclaimed, "Oh no, I overslept!" She frantically smoothed her hair down and leaped out of bed, and then she started scrambling to gather her things.

I took a look at the time on my phone. "Jan Di, what's the rush?" I asked groggily. "The wedding isn't for another three hours."

"I have to get ready and help Unnie and check on Ga Eul. I have a lot to do."

I nodded, though I had hoped to have more time with her. When I heard her stomach rumble from across the room, I took that as an opening to tempt her to stay with me. "No time even for breakfast?" I asked.

"Sorry," she said.

"Okay." I yawned and stretched my arms over my head. When I looked over, I noticed she was smiling at me. "What?"

"Nothing..." She smiled again. "I'll see you later." And she headed toward the door.

"Wait," I said, jumping out of bed. I rushed to her, and she turned around to face me. I placed my hands on her shoulders and leaned in to kiss her forehead. "I'll see you at the wedding."

She grinned up at me. "See you." And then she left.


Two hours later…

(Ji Hoo's POV)

I'd showered and dressed, and I was now waiting in Jun Pyo's room with Yi Jeong and Woo Bin. When I first saw Jun Pyo today, it was tense, and he said nothing to me. Yi Jeong wasn't as angry with me as before and had greeted me this morning, but I could tell he wasn't quite ready to forgive, either.

Currently, I stood facing the window and looking out. Yi Jeong was seated in a chair and Woo Bin was on the couch beside him. As for Jun Pyo, he was taking an extra long time to dress for the wedding.

"Jun Pyo-ah, it's almost time. Come out," Woo Bin called.

Finally, Jun Pyo emerged in his tuxedo, looking sullen. He ambled over to the couch and slumped onto it. "Woo Bin-ah…"

"Yeah?"

"Break my arm."

"What?" Woo Bin exclaimed.

I spun around to witness what was going to happen.

"With your skill you can break it with one hit," Jun Pyo said seriously, lying his arm against the table.

Woo Bin touched Jun Pyo's arm as if he was actually considering it. "Are you serious?" he asked. Yi Jeong placed a hand to his forehead and rubbed.

. . .

"What do you think you're doing?!" Jan Di's voice came from the doorway.

I looked over at her. She looked beautiful in her dress, but she was clearly angry.

"Is that the best you could come up with?" she demanded. "You're not being dignified at all. You're just running away rather than facing it."

Jun Pyo leaped up from his seat and went to Jan Di. He placed his hands on her shoulders. "Then tell me not to do it. Tell me not to get married!"

I was shocked. Was he actually saying this to the woman I loved, to the woman I shared a bed with last night, to the woman who had broken things off with him last night?

I watched Jan Di turn her head away, and then he grabbed her by the wrist. "I need to talk to you," he said before dragging her out of the room.

I stared at the empty doorway. What was Jun Pyo planning, to try and talk Jan Di into running away with him? I was feeling very unsettled, and I really wanted to go after them, but no, I would let them work it out.


(Jun Pyo's POV)

"Yah, what are you doing, Gu Jun Pyo?!" Jan Di demanded as I dragged her along.

"Stop fighting me," I demanded, finally getting her to a somewhat secluded spot. I let go of her wrist and turned to face her. "Don't go. I need to talk to you."

"What is it?" she asked with that defiant look I'd always found so cute.

"Look, I know you kissed Ji Hoo, but I don't care." That wasn't completely the truth. I did care; in fact, I was furious about it, but she was right that we weren't together when it happened, and I'd kissed the Monkey before… Anyway, none of it mattered. All that mattered was that she was with me. "I forgive you, and I still want to be with you."

She sighed. "Gu Jun Pyo…," she began, but I cut her off. "Geum Jan Di, just listen."

I placed my hands on her shoulders. "I love you, and I know you love me, too. So, just say the word, and I will throw everything away, the life I have, Shinwha, my name, my family, everything…"

She glanced away. "Don't do that for me."

Her words broke my heart. Was she just being prideful, or did she really mean it?

"Geum Jan Di..."

"Whether you toss away Shinwha and your name, whether you get married or not, that's up to you. Don't base your decision on me."

"But you are the only thing I want to base my decisions on! You're the only thing that matters to me!" I shouted at her, my eyes growing moist. "I want to be with you! We can run away together...everything will work out...everything will be great, you'll see!"

She looked down. "I can't. Forgive me."

"No!" I spoke vehemently. "I don't accept that, Jan Di! You told me last night that you were done, that it was over, but I don't believe you! We're supposed to be together!" Dammit, why can't she see it?! Had she forgotten everything?! "What we have can't be broken!"

I was trying not to cry, though it was proving difficult. "You made me a promise, Jan Di, and you can't just break that!"

She looked away and wiped a few tears before facing me again. "Jun Pyo, you say that what we had couldn't be broken...and I'm really sorry to say this, but it was." She took a breath. "...I can't deny that I loved you very much, and I still care for you a great deal, but things have changed. Circumstances have changed, but not only that, you have changed...and most of all, I have changed. I promised that we wouldn't break up because of your mother...and at first, it was her who was keeping us apart, but it's not her any longer."

"It's Ji Hoo, right?!" I demanded.

She glanced down for a moment before looking me directly in the eyes. "Yes and no."

Breathing heavily and trembling a bit, I stared at her, waiting for her to explain her cryptic statement.

"Yes, it's him...but not just him. It's me, too. Like I said, I'm a different person now. I want different things, a different life. It's not about what you can or can't give me, and it's not because you're the heir to Shinwha. I was willing to deal with that and be a part of that world in order to be with you, but...now, I've found a world I fit into much better…"


(Jan Di's POV)

It was crushing me to see Jun Pyo this way, near tears, pouring his heart out and begging me to stay with him. But I couldn't do it.

There was a time when I didn't care who Jun Pyo was or what our life would be. I didn't even care if his mother constantly tortured me. I just wanted to be with him, no matter what. Despite all the challenges we faced, I believed that everything would be fine as long as we were together. I felt differently now. I realized that all that did matter.

When I thought of Ji Hoo and Grandfather and the Clinic, I knew that was where I fit in best, where I belonged. That was my world, my home, now, and when I was in that world, my happiness was limitless...

"I'm sorry, Jun Pyo. I have a new life now, and I'm really happy. I hope you will be, too."

I felt like I was being tested time and time again these past couple days. I swallowed hard and turned from him, and I walked away. He didn't try to follow. Please forget about me. Please be happy, Jun Pyo…


It seemed that Madam Kang got wind of my meeting with Jun Pyo and was worried I'd interfere, so she tried to force the wedding by sicking her guys on me. Fortunately, Jae Kyung's bodyguards and a couple of Woo Bin's guys, who he'd brought along 'just in case,' easily dealt with them.

Ga Eul walked down the aisle first, and then me. I avoided Madam Kang's glare and took a seat beside Ga Eul. F3 walked in after us and stood ceremoniously at the front before taking their seats again. I smiled over at Ji Hoo; he looked so handsome in his white suit. Jun Pyo came in next, and my heart wrenched at how completely miserable he looked. Finally, Jae Kyung entered, and everyone stood. She was dressed in Madam Kang's off-the-shoulder, satin gown and carried a pink and blush floral bouquet. She looked gorgeous, but her face seemed so sad, and my heart went out to her, too. She took her place at Jun Pyo's side, and the ceremony began.

. . .

When the minister got to the part where one could object to the wedding, Jae Kyung raised her hand, stunning the entire room. "I, Ha Jae Kyung, the bride, object to this wedding."

The minister was at a loss. Her father barked loudly, "Ha Jae Kyung? What are you doing?!" and Madam Kang told her to stop joking around.

Unnie went on to speak her apologies to Jun Pyo, her parents, Madam Kang, and all the witnesses. She told everyone that she had decided she and Jun Pyo weren't meant to be. He didn't suit her personality, and she was sorry she let it get this far. She also begged her parents not to hold it against Shinwha because it was all her doing.

I was really proud of her courage in this moment.

Jae Kyung ended her speech with the statement, "I want to marry when I am ready...and for love." She looked at Jun Pyo for that part.

I knew that she loved him, but she also wanted to have that love returned. Someday, Unnie, you'll meet a man who will love and adore you for who you are…and it'll be worth the wait… I knew it was bound to happen.

Jae Kyung apologized to everyone again, and she bowed. Her parents and Madam Kang stood up and walked out in a huff, and the rest of the crowd followed. Jae Kyung, F4, Ga Eul, and I were the only ones remaining in the church. Ga Eul and I went to Jae Kyung, and we each hugged her. Even Jun Pyo thanked her for not going through with it, and they parted on good terms.

Afterward, Jae Kyung and I talked privately and cleared up a lot of things. She tried to offer her wedding suite to me and Ji Hoo, but I felt entirely too weird about that, so I politely turned her down. I hugged her and wished her well.


(Ji Hoo's POV)

I was thankful that Jun Pyo wasn't forced to marry. I'd even considered standing up during the ceremony to object, particularly before Jan Di's confession of love. Fortunately, I didn't have to do that. I was relieved that it was all over, but I still felt bad for Jun Pyo, so after the ceremony, I made a point to talk to him. I barely got the chance because his mother was sending him back to Seoul immediately, but we did talk, and we managed to work some things out. I knew it would take some time for him to completely forgive me and for us to truly be friends again, and I was sure he wouldn't have an easy time seeing me with Jan Di, but to my great surprise, he was willing to try. Jun Pyo was really growing up…

Still, I was feeling guilty, so I took a horseback ride to sort through my thoughts. On the ride, my head was filled with memories of Jan Di and Jun Pyo and F4…

When I finished, Jae Kyung was there waiting for me, waving some silly horse puppet in the air. We sat down in the stands of the soccer field and talked.

"Do you regret it?" I asked her.

"Of course. The moment I let him go, I regretted it like crazy, and I probably will until the day I die."

I sat there silently.

"When Jun Pyo told me that you and Jan Di were together…," she began. I looked over at her. "I thought that I could go through with the wedding because if Jan Di wasn't in the picture maybe he'd learn to love me...eventually. That's what I hoped for. I tossed and turned all night thinking about it, but in the end, I couldn't do it. Turns out…," she smiled wistfully to the sky. "I'm totally against arranged marriages. I really want to marry for love...to a man who loves me, too."

"It will happen," I told her.

"You think so?"

I nodded.

She smiled at me and then gazed out into the distance. "You know, they say you get as much as you desire… Maybe I didn't want it enough, or maybe I didn't have enough greed. I couldn't force him to be married to me. You're not a greedy person, either, Ji Hoo. I heard all about what happened. I know you let Jan Di go before, and you were willing to do it again. But I'm glad you had the courage to go after what you wanted this time, and I'm glad it worked out for you."

I smiled a bit.

"Well, I need to go to the airport soon." She stood up, and so did I. She held out her hand to me. "Good luck to you. Take care of Jan Di and Jun for me."

I shook her hand. "I will. Take care."

"Mm. Oh, I almost forgot." She reached into her pocket and pulled something out. She placed it in my hand, and I saw that it was the necklace Jun Pyo had given Jan Di. "I'm not sure what you want to do with this now," she said. "I guess you could give it back to him, or Jan Di can."

I nodded to her. She smiled and waved goodbye to me as she walked away.


After that, I returned to my room to pack. I wanted to see more of the island with Jan Di before we left, but it had been a stressful weekend, so we all decided to leave shortly after Jun Pyo. Perhaps another time, Jan Di and I could visit Jeju together…


One week later…

(Jan Di's POV)

When the marriage between Jae Kyung and Jun Pyo didn't happen, Madam Kang blamed me, of course. She verbally attacked me at the porridge shop, accusing me of breaking up the wedding and subsequently putting the merger in jeopardy. Ga Eul tried to stick up for me, and I tried to stand up for myself, too, but it meant nothing to Jun Pyo's mother.

And then, Grandfather flew to my rescue like a superhero. He promptly told her off.

When I informed Ji Hoo about it, he was upset but thankful that Grandfather had shown up and defended me. I didn't tell him the part about Harabeoji saying I was his future granddaughter-in-law. I was a bit embarrassed by it but really touched that he thought of me that way. And then I blushed at the thought. It wasn't like I'd never thought of marrying Ji Hoo, but that was waay in the future…


One Year Later…

(Jan Di's POV)

What a difference a year can make... Everything had cooled off with Madam Kang, and she wasn't bothering me anymore. Ji Hoo had made up with Jun Pyo, and Jun Pyo was doing well in Los Angeles. Oh, and Jae Kyung Unnie was there, too. They would be working together soon. Yi Jeong was in Sweden, studying to become an even more talented potter‒was that even possible? Before he left, he had made a promise to Ga Eul, and I was really happy about that. I hoped he could be trusted not to break her heart, but I had a good feeling about it. And Woo Bin was working hard at taking over his family business.

As for me, I had miraculously managed to graduate high school and enter medical school, with the help of my sunbae, of course. Ji Hoo was in med school, too, and he was doing an amazing job. Oh, and he and I were dating. We were blissfully happy and about to celebrate our one year anniversary.

Ji Hoo had been kind of quiet lately, though, and when he asked me to meet him today, it seemed fishy. He didn't even tell me the exact place, only left a clue. 'Meet me at the place we first met,' the message said.

I immediately thought of Shinwha. Ji Hoo's driver took me there, and I went to the main hall of the school. I flashed back to watching him walk in with F4 while surrounded by throngs of adoring fans. He wasn't there, so I went to the stairwell. He wasn't there, either, but it was as if Ji Hoo knew I would get it wrong because he left a little note for me there that said: 'No, not here, silly otter. The very first place.'

Oh, duh! And then I remembered. I took off running through the courtyard to the grove of trees at the edge of the school grounds. When I heard violin music, I knew I was on the right track. I made it to the spot, slightly out of breath. I doubled over, clutching my stomach and trying to breathe normally.

When I looked up, there was the bench, and in front of it was Ji Hoo, dressed all in white. His hair had grown longer and rested just at his shoulder level, like back then. And he was playing the same song he'd played that first day we met. I stopped to watch and listen with rapt interest. It was more beautiful than I remembered…

Suddenly, Ji Hoo stopped playing and lowered his bow and violin down to his sides. He didn't smile at me but simply stared. Had I suddenly gone back in time? Was he once again the aloof Yoon Ji Hoo of years ago?

I smiled at him‒not that awkward one I had on the first time, but a loving one. He still wasn't smiling at me. Maybe I really had transported back in time…

"Umm...," I began to speak, but he cut me off.

"Geum Jan Di, you're here," he said nonchalantly.

I nodded, feeling really confused. "Yes, I'm here. What's...going on?"

He finally smiled, that beautiful one I'd never grow tired of in a million years.

"Well, I wanted you to come me here because it's where we first met, as you know…" Thankfully, Ji Hoo didn't chastise me further for getting it wrong on the first try.

"The first time we met, you asked me a question. 'Where is the swimming pool?' you asked me. Do you remember?"

"Yes…" What was his point? Was he going to send me to the swimming pool now?

"Well..." He put down his violin and bow on the bench, and he picked up a single rose that had been lying there. He held it in his hands as he made his way over to me.

He held out the rose, and I took it. Then he reached into his pocket. "This time, I have a question for you..."

"Omo…"

. . .


A Few Days Later (Los Angeles)...

(Jun Pyo's POV)

After everything that happened with Jan Di and the hell the Witch put her through, I decided to step up and take over Shinwha. I planned to turn it into an entirely different company, so I decided to study and work hard, and I went to America. I promised myself that I would never handle things the way my mother had, and my sister supported me.

Jun Hee and I had gotten the shock of our lives when we discovered that our father was still alive and had been in a coma all this time, but things were much better now. He'd woken, and my mother had retired in order to spend more time with him, so she was being a little less evil these days.

In other news, I'd just found out that Jan Di and Ji Hoo were engaged. I wasn't handling it well, so I decided to talk to Jae about it. She'd surely heard by now, and she wasn't so bad to talk to. I told myself that I needed to discuss business with her, anyway, but the truth was that I really needed her as a friend right now.

When I arrived, I was greeted in English by a young, short-haired Korean-looking girl who sat at a desk outside of Jae Kyung's office. I ignored her completely and headed for Jae's office door.

"Wait, you can't just go in!" the girl exclaimed in English, causing me to stop.

I didn't like speaking English when I didn't have to, so I muttered, "I'm an old friend, and she's expecting me," in Korean before walking past her desk.

The girl leaped out of her chair, ran ahead of me, and stood between me and the door. She was wearing a skirt, dress shirt, and heels. How she ran so fast in those heels was beyond me, and it was almost comical the way she had her arms and legs spread wide, blocking my path to the door.

But I was in no mood for this.

I rolled my eyes. "Get out of the way."

"Yah, don't you speak English? I said you can't go in," she told me in Korean this time. "Ha Jae Kyung-ssi is busy right now and is not to be disturbed."

"I don't care. She'll see me. Now, get out of my way."

"Over my dead body!" The girl continued using herself as a human barricade.

Was she crazy? Figures Jae would hire an assistant as crazy as she was...

"What the hell are you doing?" I tried to keep my voice calm.

"I told you I can't let you go in."

"Do you have a hearing problem, or are you just stupid? I said the Monkey is expecting me." I was really in no mood to be trifled with.

"Yah, you wanna die?! I can hear fine, and I'll have you know that I'm very smart! I go to college! And who are you calling a monkey?! How dare you call Ms. Ha a monkey!" She pointed accusingly at me. "Do you even know who she is?! You should have more respect for her!"

Did I know who she was? Of course, I did! Didn't she know who was? Who did this little girl think she was–Jae's biggest fan or something?

I took a step toward her, ready to toss her out of my way, but she put up her fists. "Don't you come any closer, or I'll hit you!" Her little jaw was clenched.

"You're going to...what? Hit me?" I almost grinned because she reminded me so much of someone…

"Yeah, I'll hit you, you curly-haired weirdo!"

"Curly-haired weirdo?! Excuse me?!" My nostrils flared, and I started to reach out to grab her arm, but I held back.

She calmed a bit and put her hands on her hips, haughtily looking me up and down. "You look like you have money… Well, I don't have much, and I need it badly because my little brother is sick...so I can't possibly lose my job by letting you in!" And she erected another human blockade.

I sighed. "You won't lose your job, I promise." I knew that to be true because Ha Jae Kyung was a big softie.

"Your promise is no good to me. What use is the promise of a stranger? I don't know know or trust you. Besides, you're just saying this to get your way! Who are you anyway?"

I'd changed my mind. She wasn't as crazy as the Monkey; she was crazier!

It was then that Jae's door opened–she'd probably heard all the yelling‒and the secretary girl fell backward. What a klutzy idiot!

"Ji Hae!" Jae Kyung exclaimed upon seeing the young woman fall on the floor. "What's going on?" Jae looked between me and the girl.

I exhaled and stuck my hand out to help this Ji Hae up, but she swatted it away and stood ungracefully on her own. I fought a smile. She was, indeed, a klutz yet almost cute...and she really reminded me of someone…

"I'm sorry! I'm so, so sorry, Chairwoman!" The young woman bowed a few times. "This guy says he knows you, but you said not to disturb you, so I didn't let him in, but he wouldn't take no for an answer."

Jae looked at me and smiled a bit. I forgot how cute her smile could be sometimes, though I'd never tell her that in a million years. "It's ok, Ji Hae. Yes, I know him. This is my business partner, my friend, and my ex-fiance."

Ji Hae's eyes got wide, and dropped open in a large O.

"Gu Jun Pyo, it's been a long time…," Jae said.

Hands in pockets, I nodded.

"I see you've met my secretary, Moon Ji Hae."

Ji Hae. What kind of name is that? I thought.

Jae smiled that familiar smile at me. "Jun, please come in."

***The End***


A/N: Thoughts? Yes, I know, poor Jun Pyo, but I tried to give him a hopeful ending, and I left it open. I kind of like my new OC Ji Hae already, lol, and I almost want to write a short spin-off oneshot with JP, JK, and Ji Hae (meaning: earth/soil/ground/region or combination of (ji) wisdom/knowledge/intelligence and (hae) sea/ocean). But I digress.

So, as you can see, I altered some of the events from the show (including tweaking some of the dialogue), combined a few things, and changed the order a bit, in addition to adding some new occurrences. The goal was to merge the original story with my own twists and perspective. For instance, I didn't like the Jan Di 'kidnapping' at the wedding, and what's up with Jae Kyung giving her honeymoon suite to Jun Pyo and Jan Di? That's just weird. I guess she's a REALLY good friend, but I had to comment on that. And afterward, everyone is just so blissfully happy and sitting around the table talking and laughing… Sure, Jan Di and Jun Pyo were happy, but what about poor Ji Hoo? And Jae Kyung, too. I did feel bad for her. She didn't get much credit. I guess the focus was on Jan Di and Jun Pyo being 'together' again.

Anyway, I hope you liked it! Wow, I'm so relieved to have finished another story, even if it was a shorter one. It definitely turned out longer than I first thought, though (for a cabin fever fic). Thanks all! I hope to 'see you' again soon!