When Misfortune Descended On Her

Love Letter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦

Love Letter — SEVENTEEN
(click ^ to be redirected to the song)

◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦•◦

"Yah, Han Soomin."

A girl with black, wavy hair softly called out to a girl seated at a long, rectangular table placed inside their shared room in the girls' dormitory. The girl being addressed was too busy writing something on a piece of paper, before she finally looked up after a few seconds.

"Yeah?" The girl called Soomin asked, while the of her pen was gently tapping the table in a rhythmic manner. The girl with black, wavy hair stood in front of her friend, and crossed her arms. A small smile played across her lips because she knew what exactly Soomin was doing right now.

"Seriously, you haven't finished writing that letter yet?" The raven-haired girl asked, raising a quizzical brow at her friend who just frowned at her in response. "I swear, junior year will roll in in a few more weeks and you still haven't been able to give that freaking letter to your Prince Charming," the girl chuckled lightheartedly.

"Aww, come on Jennie! I'm just making sure I won't be giving him a letter filled with grammar and spelling mistakes. He'll probably think I'm stupid. My scholarship will probably cry if that ever happened," Soomin trailed off, then she quickly added, "Hopefully not!"

Jennie laughed softly as she plopped down on the vacant chair opposite Soomin and set her laptop bag on the table's surface. She leaned forward, resting her chin on her clasped hands that were supported by her elbows on the table. Her gaze flickered towards the door, as if imagining that there might be people who are eavesdropping in their current topic of conversation.

"You know, I saw some freshmen gushing all over your Prince Charming on my way back," said Jennie, making Soomin stop from tapping her pen on the table.

The latter frowned while her friend just chuckled at her obvious distress. They both knew how popular Soomin's crush is, so it's a no-brainer that one of them would be able to see one or two instances where he is being ogled at by other girls. Still, if Soomin could have her way, she would want to hide him away from other girls' eyes so that he will be all hers to fangirl over.

Sadly, she was not that type of girl and her feelings for him ran much deeper than anyone could have guessed. Soomin could still remember as clear as day what happened during the opening ceremony of her freshman year in Hanyang University.

The said institution is famous for its Department of Business and Economics, and had produced numerous, successful entrepreneurs and businessmen for a long time. Every year, the entrance exam and academic scholarship spots are filled with competition. Only twenty-five academic scholarship spots are to be filled for the aforementioned department alone.

Fortunately for Soomin, she was able to get in Hanyang and claim a spot as an academic scholar after studying her off for it. And when the time came for the opening ceremony of the new academic year, it would seem that Soomin was not so lucky that day seeing as she was running a high fever then. She still went to opening ceremony, despite her body feeling so heavy that she could barely walk straight.

She was able to get through the whole program since she was only sitting and listening to professors and other important figures of the university keep rambling on and on for hours about how proud they were of the new batch of students, and that they are the ones next in line to keep the legacy of their predecessors alive.

Afterwards, that was when the whole commotion started. She cannot remember clearly but she had a glimpse of his face, although barely, before she finally collapsed on the ground. Soomin could vaguely recognize the panicked voices she heard before she was carried off to the university's infirmary and finally passed out because of exhaustion.

By the time she woke up, it was already afternoon and there was no one in the infirmary—not even the nurse in-charge or the doctor. But upon hearing the door to the room close, Soomin rushed out of bed and quickly out the door despite her body's protests,  just in time to see the silhouette of a guy walking away in the half-empty corridors.

"Thanks for bringing me to the infirmary," Soomin called out loudly, and immediately, the attention were all on her. She felt her cheeks heat up due to embarrassment, but she paid no heed to it. She wanted to let her savior know that she was grateful for what he did for her.

The guy looked back, looking confused for a bit before he half-smiled, half-smirked at her.

"You're welcome, I guess." He half-yelled back at her, before he finally resumed walking. The other students who were present, also went to back to doing their own businesses, leaving Soomin to herself as she sighed dreamily. Then, she went back inside to rest some more.

Ever since that incident, Soomin did her best to search for the guy who had saved her and had learned that he was also a freshman and in the same department as her. How lucky could she be, right? And then, she finally learned of his name which was actually Kim Taehyung. But she heard his close friends call him V for short, and that he's into photography and he is a member of the university's photography circle.

For the rest of semester, Soomin quietly watched him from afar—too shy for her own good to approach him like the other girls who always hang around him and fawning over his superior looks. Then, it happened. In one of their courses, they were paired up to finish a case study that is to be presented in front of the class the next day.

On that day, she learned that Kim Taehyung, despite being popular and good-looking, is down-to-earth and funny guy who is friendly to anyone and almost everyone. They were in the library, accomplishing the task given to them by their professor. Every time a student—even if it was a senior—happens to spot Taehyung among the crowd, they would always approach and greet him which he returns with a devastatingly bright smile.

Soomin realized then, that she likes him—which kind of and at the same time, not really. It that he has to be so popular with girls, and she would be having a lot of competition in order to get close to him. And not really, because he is just too good of a guy to even regret her choice.

"Han Soomin!" The brunette snapped out of her thoughts upon seeing Jennie waving a hand in front of her face. Her friend was smiling teasingly at her, her dark-brown eyes glinting knowingly.

"You were grinning like an idiot," Jennie said as she smirked at the girl before her who was busily day-dreaming.

"I was not!" Soomin argued, but she knew it was in vain upon feeling her cheeks heat up at the thought of her long-time crush.

'It's been what, two years since I met him. I wish I could have the courage to confess to him soon,' she thought, as she slumped back on her seat and running her fingers through her l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter