Grey

Ebony

Darkness.

Always darkness, everywhere. Surrounding him, cornering him, trapping him, devouring him. It would never be gone. It could never be gone.

Himchan covers his ears, trying to block out the voices in his head. They continue ringing, like whiney mosquitoes. Telling him to give up. Telling him he's not good enough. Telling him there's no point in staying alive.

He shakes his head, reaching for a small pill bottle sitting on his desk. He opens it and downs three of the pills at once, before placing it back on the desktop.

He stands, and looks around. It's dim in the small office, the single light bulb flickering, threatening to go out. The dusty curtains are slightly open, showing the darkness outside.

Due to the clouds, almost no stars shine tonight. Himchan peers through the window sadly, looking up at the single bright star shining in the sky. He is reminded of a man, the only star in his dark life. An angel sent by God to make one less lonely soul in the world......an angel who God called back too soon.

Himchan rubs his temples. Yes, he is grieving, but now is not the time; he should be asleep. Not thinking of his long lost love.

He turns and exits the room. Upon arrival at his destination, the bedroom, he lies down across the bed without bothering to undress. He soon falls into a deep sleep.

 

 

[Past]

Light. 

Everything was full of light. It wrapped itself like a warm blanket around him, making him smile for no reason. Because Yongguk loved him. That was all.

Himchan puts down his pen and closes his notebook, locking it carefully. He looks around at the little room, so friendly and warm.....a home.

He smiles, reaching for a water glass and swallowing his drink quickly. It's only ten more minutes. Then Yongguk will be here.

He stands, and looks around. Light fills the room, giving it a warm.and happy atmosphere. The only dark thing in the room is a little ebony ribbon. Himchan frowns. He doesn't remember putting it there.

The stars shine so brightly tonight, but Himchan is waiting for a much brighter and more beautiful star. A star that brings more light to the world than any ball of fire in the sky.

Suddenly the door bursts open. Instead of Yongguk, Himchan's brother Jongup rushes in; there's a piece of paper in his hands, and he's clutching it like it's his lifeline.

The words on the paper are printed in dark black ink. Himchan reads them in horror, petrified, like a stone statue.....this can't be true. It just can't. Yongguk can't be gone, Yongguk.....

The paper falls from Himchan's hand. The room feels suddenly cold and foreign; in a second, everything has changed. Himchan collapses in the floor as everything goes black. 

The ebony ribbon still lies on his desk.