Chapter 7

Not Meant To Be: Eclipse

A bird's caw, faint and distant, reaches my ears, waking me from my sleep. My eyes open slightly from the creature's call before my lids are pulled back down like blinds dropping down a window. 

Stirring in bed, my arms shift from their previous positions as my toes stretch into a curl, releasing the stiffness from them and a soft yawn from my lips. 

I'm exhausted.

It's a feeling that's become more common lately, my body finding the idea of getting out of bed distasteful. 

Every Day is the same, the routine never changing that I find myself not caring for any form of scheduling. The ringing that indicates when I wake and walk and leave for rest and sleep serves no function to the my daily life like it used to. As loud as the sound is, it's been drowned out by my own thoughts. 

Even my friends' visits frequent less and less, the worry on their faces never gone but with defeated sighs, they exit my home. Of course, it's not without leaving messages of 'take care of yourself' or 'make sure you eat well' or 'we'll visit you soon, feel better.'

They care. They want to know, but I can't tell them.

I can't tell them how I put Taehyung's life at risk.

 

I wince, wanting to forget the incident so badly. It hurts to recall the way he shook against me, skin burning unlike the usual coolness that was always present. 

A terrible sensation bloomed inside my chest and I don't bother pressing my hands against it. There's no point; as much as I try to suffocate the feeling, it hurts deep from the inside.

Curling into a ball, I pull the blanket over me again, over my head, eliminating any traces of light.

~~

A couple Days later, despite not wanting to leave the comfort of my bed, I've managed to push myself up and leave the house. I've worried Hoseok and Yoongi enough.

Guessing that they're probably at Hoseok's house, I head there, hoping silently that they won't ask too many questions. Again, it's probably better that way. 

Would it even matter if they knew? Of course they'd scold me, perhaps even more than that. 

If Taehyung can't come here, could I still visit him instead? I have no idea how he is doing, but his friend Jimin seems to care about him a lot. I can only wish that he's looking after him well. To be honest, I'm not sure if I'd even go back to Night.

With what happened here in Day, it can also be assumed that something can happen to me too in Night. Is that possibly why there is this division? Day people must remain in Day and Night people in Night not because of forced separation from the people themselves but because there is indeed some natural consequence? That could explain why the border isn't as heavily guarded as I thought it'd be. 

If that's the case... how can I maintain my friendship with Taehyung? It's not like we can sneak our way in and out for the rest of our lives without ever getting caught, right? Even if we never catch anyone else's attention, our relationship would have to be secretive forever. I don't want that. Being private now is fine, but to imagine having to hide Taehyung for the rest of my life... he doesn't deserve that.

With my eyes trained to the ground, my feet continued to trudge on, memorizing the way to my friends.

That is until I felt a hand on my shoulder, causing me to finally look up. 

"Oh, Namjoon?"

A smile, paired with a dimple, shows on his face. Based on his attire, it looks like he's on duty. "Hello again, Seokjin. For a moment there, I thought you were ignoring me. I called your name a couple times already but you didn't answer. Are you feeling alright?"

The smile stays, but he's also expressing slight concern now. I straightened my posture and managed to pull a tight smile. 

"I'm fine, thank you."

It must be convincing enough; the worry already gone from his eyes, replaced with the usual politeness again.

"That's good to hear. Where are you heading to?"

"I'm just going to visit Hoseok and Yoongi." 

"Oh! May I walk with you?"

I nod, and we walk again, feet going the same pace yet our steps not in sync. There is silence for some time. It's been a while since I've seen Namjoon but even then, it doesn't surprise me since we were never super close friends in the first place. 

"Hmm, if I'm correct, this is the most quiet you've ever been. Tired looking too."

He's looking at me again and I forced out a chuckle. "Yes, I believe that's right. It's probably because I haven't seen you in a while. Speaking of, where have you been? I don't think I've seen you around town at all lately."

Namjoon hums, "That's because I haven't been in town. As a matter of fact, we knights had some business to attend to in another district. Something regarding Night." He says the word almost playfully, knowing my interest in it based on our past conversations surrounding it.

My jaw tenses up a bit, my eyes drawn to the dirt path before us again. Despite him dangling the topic of Night like a shiny object in front of me, I didn't feel like pressing on it. "Oh? It must be something important if you were gone for that long," I simply say.

"Not really," he replies. He didn't offer much of an explanation following that other than I probably wouldn't understand and would feel bored if he started lecturing about it. "There was just some commotion by the border in that district, but nothing came out of it. It's handled already."

I nod along casually, my head bobbing but honestly, I'm not too invested in the conversation with Namjoon at the moment. Maybe I'd be more attentive another time when I'm actually feeling better.

Right on time, Hoseok's house comes into view, giving me an opportunity for us to part ways. "Thanks for walking with me, Namjoon," I say with a smile, a genuine one this time. "It's nice seeing you again."

He pats my shoulder lightly. "Likewise... I'll see you around then."

With that, I turn to leave towards the house. However, Namjoon grips my arm, his hand smoothly slipping into the hold.

"One more thing... "

I was a bit surprised at the sudden action but knowing Namjoon, I wasn't alarmed in the slightest. He stares at me briefly. 

"Yes?"

The grip loosens and his smile falters.

"Uh, are you sure you're feeling fine? Pardon me, but you're not acting like your usual self, Seokjin."

I guess I couldn't hide my gloom well after all.

"Well, I'm actually feeling a little under the weather," I lie. Before he can fuss over it though, I continue, my voice more cheery, "It's nothing though. I'll recover soon enough."

Waiting for him to take the lie and go on his way, I shifted my weight from one feet to the other. However, Namjoon stays right where he is.

 

"Seokjin..." He pauses, and I can see his face contort, searching for a way to organize his words. When it takes too long, the pause starts to bother me.

What's going on? Is he that worried about me? Why would he be when he knows less than my friends do about my life lately? And they know little.

Namjoon seems to have found a way to deliver whatever was on his mind, his face settled and throat cleared.

 

"You're not still interested in Night, are you?"

I shrug my arm away casually. He doesn't chase after it, but his smile is completely gone at this point. "Why are you asking?"

His expression holds no hostility, but a cautious yet compassionate look. "I'm asking because I know you want to go there. I understand your want to explore. Like I've told you before, I too wish to see a world where no border exists." 

If I wasn't on edge before, I sure am now. "What exactly are you trying to tell me?"

He steps closer, voice lowering, "I'm not trying to tell you anything. I'm just trying to look after you. You're the only other person I know personally that genuinely wonders what lies beyond Day."

I look straight into his eyes. They're stern, indicating that he's serious. 

"When I was at the neighboring district," he then quickly adds, "Again, nothing serious happened, it's resolved peacefully. However, we have to remember that Night is not as majestic as you and I envisioned it to be."

I whispered back to him, "Of course I know that. It's written in a book, many people know that."

"You know it happens, but you don't know it firsthand," Namjoon sighs heavily as his hands go up to hold each of my shoulders. "I've seen the people there. When I was away in that district, I saw. At the border there. Even some children."

Immediately, one of my first memories of Taehyung flashes by. Skinny, frail, small, bruised.

"Listen. I'm not saying that it's wrong of you to want to cross over. I'm just encouraging you not to. You're probably tired of everyone telling you this but if you brushed them off before, I'm asking you to be more serious about it now. Truthfully, you could just ignore me if you want to. I'm not your parent, and I am most certainly not you. I can't control you but I want to express my opinion as a fellow friend," he goes on. His fingers press more into my shoulders as he spoke, the fabric of my shirt pinched and wrinkling from the grasp.

"Living in a world where Night and Day unite is a dream too far for any of us to reach any time soon. I..." it is then that Namjoon's face finally falls, his head tilting downwards just enough for his neat hair to shift out of place a bit. "I don't want a good person like you getting hurt."




 

Gently, I take his hands off of my shoulders. Instead, I hold them in my own hands. He looks up slightly, not at my face, but our joined hands. They're warm, like mine.

"Thanks for looking out for me, Namjoon." Our hands lowered and I stare back at his face. "I know. I get what you're saying."

"Do you?" he emphasizes, his hands slipping from my grasp just a bit. "I can't speak for all of us but as a Day knight, I'd never harm anyone who crosses from Night to Day."

As he says this, he looks up at the direction of Night, its dark sky standing a good distance away, still visible from where we stand. Though far away, I can feel the quietness and picture the tranquility like always, since I've started dreaming about it.

"I can't say the same for Night knights," he finishes and I knew what he's implying. The injuries I've seen on Taehyung supports it. Still, his eyes are trained to the dark canvas spotted with stars. I could tell that Namjoon still adores the other half of our world. The change now is that it comes with a hopeless sense of sadness, like an unrequited love.

For me, it's similar to the unavoidable impossibility of seeing a certain Night boy forever.

"I understand," I respond. "Even if the knights don't hurt me, the nature of Night will."

I'm not sure if he knows about the effects of crossing over for too long but Namjoon doesn't comment on it. He lets go of me, our hands parting from one another as he shows mellow satisfaction in my answer. 

"Let's hope we never get to see if that'll happen."

~~

Even though Namjoon had left already, I'm left standing on the same spot, pondering about what he told me. Once again, what he told me is not surprising; I'm not taken aback at all.

He's thinks I don't understand but in a way, I do understand some things, even if not all. Firsthand, no, but through Taehyung, yes.

The mention of his name makes my head hurt. 

It's like I'll never be able to get him out of my head. He's all I think about, so much that I can't really picture what used to occupy my thoughts before I met him.

How do I know that he's okay? It's not like I can send him a letter or visit him at his home. The closest I can get to him without repercussions is the border.

 

The only border in this world, the border where Night meets Day, where Dark meets Light, where Taehyung and I meet.

For Days, I didn't dare go past the last row of houses lining the town's perimeter. I resisted returning to the woods, where our meetings are hidden by the shade of the trees, talks blended in with the sound of running water, and fondness first blossomed. It was also where I last departed from him.

I didn't go because I wasn't sure if I should meet him anymore. It's selfish and foolish of me to let my guard down that much and keep him with me for so long. Yet, he's not completely safe over in Night either...

During some of the Days that I spent huddled up in my bed, I actually considered listening to everyone. I considered it because...

It's inevitable, isn't it?

I look at where Night sits still like it always does. I look in the opposite direction, up the road where Hoseok's house awaits. 

It's unstoppable, isn't it?













 

I step forward.

~~



















 

Waiting.













 

More waiting.
















 

Still waiting.













 

Waiting for what exactly? Or rather, waiting for who specifically?

Naturally, Taehyung. 

 

I curse myself, my fist hitting my thigh in an attempt to punish myself for my bad impulse. The impulse that led be back to this place, a place both comforting and threatening. It's like there's an invisible thread tied to me that leads to this place over and over again.

Sighing deeply and momentarily closing my eyes in frustration, I murmur lowly to myself, "This is the last time, this is the last time, this is the last time." It's likely that this will not be my last time here.

Opening my eyes again, the Night side come back into view, its beautiful woods laying out before me. Don't be mistaken though. I'm still on my side, perched on a short rock like a birdling before the stream. 

It's been quiet. I don't think Taehyung is coming. I already knew that he'll likely not show up but the small chance that he might had me waiting.

"I just want to know that you're okay," I whispered out loud to no one in particular. That's all I want. It's not like I'll be running over to Night like the few times I did so or scramble to search for where Taehyung may live.

As much as I want to find him over there, I have to remember Namjoon's caution as well as my own prediction of what'll happen to me. I have to remember that even Taehyung himself does not want me going over to Night, not by myself anyway.

So I sit here. 

There may be nothing to wait for, but being alone here somewhat keeps me more at ease, the feeling different from being alone in my bedroom that is still too bright for my liking.

Honestly, I'm not bothered by the thought of being found by Day knights, my friends, or whoever. I'm starting to believe that the worst they'll do is send me back. If they did find me, it's not like I'm caught crossing over. I'm just "absent-mindedly" sitting here on Day's side. Just sitting peacefully.










 

It's been another long while, and no one from Day or Night has shown up to speak to me. 

Now in my hand is a flower, its petals soft and white. I've picked it when I left my rock for a moment, finding it hidden behind a tree. The white of the flower had stood out from the lush green of the grass around it, and that, unfortunately for the little plant, piqued my curiosity.

Feeling the petals with my thumb and index finger, I accidentally pluck the current petal off. With so many petals, the single absent one makes almost no difference in the flower's beauty.

Without a thought and simply out or boredom, I toss the petal into the stream. The flow, too strong for it, flips it between Day and Night. 

It looked so alone, being carried away so quickly that its out of my view soon enough. With that, I went and found more of the white flowers before coming back to the stream. 

Plucking more at a time this time, I let them fall out from the space between my fingers and flutter gently down to the same rapid fate as the first petal. With the clear water decorated by the white specks, the stream looked quite pretty.

It's calming, even more now since the petals are flowing away together. It feels nice, to be in serenity after what happened. Even though I still feel miserable with Taehyung not here and not knowing his state, I'm at least in a place where I'm reminded of some happy memories of him.

Sadly, I begin to run out. With the last handful of white petals, I open my hand, letting them sprinkle once again into the rushing water. The flowers are washed away and soon, it's completely clear again. 

My eyes trail down the stream. I can see the last of the petals swaying in the water as if saying a farewell to me. I stood still and watched them completely disappear from my sight.

I'm left alone like a petal stuck on dry land.

Crouching down, I looked into the stream. With the water constantly moving, it's impossible for me to see a clear reflection of myself. 

Cupping both my hands together, I dip them into the water. It's cold, but fresh. I raise my water-filled hands to my mouth for a drink, some of it still dripping through the cracks that my crooked fingers couldn't seal.

I've never thought that much about them, my fingers, I mean. They're only fingers after all, how special can they be? However, I do remember the small instances where Taehyung would point them out. It was mostly around the time when we first met. He called each one of them handsome, poking the tips of them with his slender index finger and I had laughed because it sounded so silly.

My hands immediately reach back in for more water, not realize how thirsty I am.

Just as I scooped up the water, something had slipped into my hands as well, prompting me to take a closer look.

A purple flower petal?

Right on cue, more purple petals rush by from under my hands. Like the white petals, they quickly came and left.

I didn't pluck them though.

My gaze followed where the purple petals came from. Up and up the stream until a hand is seen releasing the last of the purple petals they'd gathered.

I stand up, alerted, my hands still holding the draining water and the one petal.

"Taehyung..."

The name dies on my tongue.

It's someone else. 

I'm met with large, innocent eyes that are more round at the corners and different from the sharp and striking ones I'm used to seeing up close. They're the first thing I see despite the bangs being close to hiding them.

He's still crouched like I was just a few moments ago, hunched over so much that he looks extremely small. It's as if he's trying to hide now that I noticed him yet he's not attempting to run away either.

It's obvious that he's not Jimin or a knight.

The water in my hand runs out, leaving the wet petal stuck on one of my palms.

I consider speaking to him.

Based on his non-threatening appearance, I can't help but guess that he's one of Taehyung's friends. Perhaps one that isn't as cold towards me.

But more importantly, why is he here though?

"Hello," I began first, seeing that the other boy is unlikely to speak up first.

He stays silent, chin close to his knees in his position. Those big eyes stay focused on me though; he's listening.

Slowly approaching him, I question him quietly, "Hi, my name is Seokjin. May I ask who you are?"

I'm standing across from him, the stream being the only thing in between us. He still wouldn't stand, looking up at me with a constant... curiosity, I think.

So I lower myself, mimicking his posture until we're approximately at the same level. I don't think he's going to answer.

"Do you... do you know Taehyung?" I try asking again, unsure if I'll get a verbal answer. If he is indeed a friend, perhaps I can finally find out if Taehyung has recovered.

When the boy only turned back to look behind himself, I pleaded, "Please answer me if you can. I have a feeling you know who my friend is."

He turns back to face me after seemingly being satisfied of his surroundings. If I'm correct, there appears to be a sense of shyness still lurking behind his irises.

A murmur...

His lips are moving but I can't quite hear him. 

Leaning in more, my feet stepping onto the wet, slippery rocks, I try to filter out any other noise but him.

 

"He's okay."

It's so quiet, a whisper, but I heard it and it relieved me greatly.

Sighing loudly with a huge smile on my face, I must've startled him because those distinct eyes of his only seem to widen in surprise. 

"Thank you," I breathed out more quietly, but there are still so many questions about how to proceed into the future. However, those are questions for Taehyung; I doubt the boy here can answer them. So instead, I focus on the good: Taehyung's health.

"Has he fully recovered?"

The boy nods before speaking timidly, "Almost. He already looks normal to me but Jimin said to give him a couple more Nights."

The worry that has been eating me up lately has instantly lessened from hearing the great news. With the illness being so strange, I had no idea how severe the symptoms would be.

But he's okay. He's okay.

"Excuse me?"

The soft voice brings me out of my thoughts. The boy is still looking at me.

"Yes?"

He shifts a bit, still crouching as he pushes half of his bangs out of his face. "Thank you very much for the food." It was all he said before he began focusing on the ground and stream in front of him, fingers twiddling with the flower stems that are now petal-less.

It took a moment for me to understand, completely forgetting about the package that I've given to Jimin. "You're welcome," I smiled, glad to hear that they ended up accepting it.

"Taehyung told me about how you always take good care of him," the boy continues, now twirling the stems around his fingers, "Sometimes, he'd talk about you when we're done working. At first, Jimin and I didn't know that you were a Day person."

As he speaks, I took the time to observe his features. As expected, he's as frail as the others. Like Jimin though, there's no signs of injuries. I only caught the small scar on his cheek, which is faint and looks like it's been there for a long time already.

He doesn't look like the type of person to be here though. Doesn't look like someone who'd disobey anyone, especially with how timid he looks. It's different having him here with me when it's usually Taehyung whose face is usually shaded by the shadow of the woods, his deep, reverberating laugh loud but complementing with the nature around.

"Taehyung usually gets in a lot of trouble. He runs off a lot, but when we didn't see him for many Nights, we knew that he was with you." His voice had grew a bit higher in volume but like Namjoon, like Jimin, I can hear that same concern starting to show.

The boy drops all of the stems into the stream before looking back at me, an almost apologetic look starting to take over his face. "I'm not suppose to be here but Taehyung just wanted me to come check if you'd be here."

I glanced behind the boy, where Night continues on and on. "I'm here now, aren't I?"

The boy nods, then takes a breath. He then says, "He has a message for you."

"Really?" I exclaimed, "Where is it?"

'Where' isn't the right way to ask about it. I was expecting a letter, a note, a written message. However, the boy has nothing with him.

Instead,

"Dear Seokjin," he starts, eyes already shut as he delivers Taehyung's letter.

"I want you to know that I'm okay. Please don't cry anymore, I know that you must be sad. It's not your fault. Even though I got sick, I loved spending time with you in Day. I didn't regret it, Seokjin. And I hope you didn't either. You don't know how much I didn't want to leave. It felt right being with you and I didn't want to return."

The boy pauses, his brows creasing as he tries to remember the rest of the message. When he does, his gentle voice goes on.

"Knowing you, you're probably worrying about us seeing each other. No matter what is on your mind right now, don't come to Night. I'll come find you again. Just wait for me."

My breath hitches at Taehyung's intentions. He's still going to see me? He can't possibly mean returning to Day, right? Even after what he went through? He can't, absolutely not. How is that going to work? At this point, the only option we have is to stay at the border and risk being seen together. What's going to happen? What are we going to do?

"And please don't be afraid." 

The boy's voice had become even more tender than it had been, assuring, almost as if he's truly speaking in the same tone Taehyung must have used when passing the message to him.

"I know that you're probably thinking a lot about us. We've come this far, I want to see you again. I'm begging you, please don't give up. Even if I can't live in Day, I don't want to lose you. I'll see you soon."

The boy grows silent, probably finished reciting the letter. His eyes are still closed. 

 

"Love, Taehyung."

~~

 

Dinging, dinging, dinging...

 

I huffed in annoyance, pressing my hands on the desk as I stood up from my chair to close the curtains. Except, they're already closed.

Wait, am I supposed to be sleeping or not?

Peering out of the window with my forehead nearly pressing up against the glass, I see Day people walking inside their homes and the street is clearing. 

I shut the curtains closed again before heading back to my desk. With me being occupied with Taehyung all this time, I had forgotten about my sketchbook. I had just been flipping through them again as a distraction, a way to keep myself busy.

But since the bells had rung, I should go to sleep even though I don't feel so tired yet. 

After hearing Taehyung's message at the border a couple Days earlier, I've been more awake, the drowsiness that I've been feeling temporarily gone.

The boy, Jungkook, only gave me his name when he was going to leave. I wanted him to deliver a message to Taehyung for me but he looked like he wanted to go back home as soon as he could. All I could ask him to tell Taehyung was to not come back to Day. I'll just meet him like usual at the border if that wasn't part of his plan already.

Jungkook also told me that I would not be seeing him anymore since he had successfully delivered Taehyung's message and would not like to risk coming back, making it clear through his nervous demeanor and stating that Jimin doesn't want him coming near the border. He didn't even know that Jungkook had sneaked to see me for the sake of Taehyung.

I wished I had something to give him, but I don't think I have anything deemed desirable to him. Even if I did, I probably wouldn't have been able to give it to him. He ran away so quickly, turning back to look at me only once before he vanished into the tall tress.

"Ouch!" I hissed as my hip bumps into my desk when I turned to sit down. The sketchbook also got bumped towards the edge of the desk. Right as it fell, my hand catches it awkwardly since the book had opened as it fell.

Setting it back on the table and rubbing my hip, I examined the book again. The page on the right is blank, a new, untouched page. But on the left side, an older page...

My eyes widen as I flipped it to see the actual drawing, carefully skimming my hands across it to rid of any wrinkles and creases as best as I could.

It's my Night drawing.

There's all the tall buildings, all the same. But I can't help a smile from forming as I focused on the only person in my quick sketch, Taehyung. Frozen in air, higher than the buildings in the same image. 

He looks so... free.

Seeing this made me recall how much I had wanted to go to Night and explore it, way before I had met Taehyung, way before things got more serious. Now, I haven't thought much of it as passionately as I used to since Night now comes with Taehyung, who have revolved around my life much more these Days. It doesn't mean that I don't think about my dream anymore though; I still do.

Even though it's just a drawing of him, I'm enchanted once more. He really isn't afraid of taking risks. But I am. I'm scared. I don't want to be, even if my emotions pushes me into making on-the-spot decisions, I'm still in some way, scared. I keep saying that I'm scared of being caught, being punished, but I'm starting to believe that those are empty threats. However, what I am scared of most of all is Taehyung being hurt. That is something that did happen, that we both witnessed, a true danger.

"Taehyung..." When am I going to see you?

Just then, a series of loud knocks at my front door grabs my attention, especially since that means that someone is at my house after the bell's ringing. 

Hastily stashing that sketchbook back where it belongs, I rush downstairs, careful not to accidentally miss a step. Whoever is here knocks a couple more times.

"I'm coming!" I yelled as I speed from the bottom of the stairs to the door.

Who would come at this time?

I open it to see..

 

 

"Yoongi?"

He's standing in front of me, in his usual attire consisting of plain and comfortable clothes. His face is neutral like it usually is, except for the tiredness that is loosely tugging at his eyes. It seems that he's here alone, without Hoseok.

I take a step back and Yoongi takes that as an invitation, strolling in casually into my house. He looks around as I shut the door close behind us.

"What are you doing here?"

"Didn't see you at Hoseok's house the other Day and didn't hear much from you since," he merely explained, taking a seat on the nearby couch. 

"How did you know that I was going over?" I asked. I don't recall telling them that I'd be seeing them; I just decided that on my own.

"I ran into Namjoon. He said that he walked you to Hoseok's house," he says, tilting his head up and closing his eyes as he got comfortable. "I got there, asked where you were and Hoseok said you never showed."

"Something came up and I just decided to leave," I replied, still hanging by the entrance of the room. From where he sat, he looks me up and down.

"You look better. Are you feeling better?"

"Yes."

He definitely looks tired, so I didn't speak much afterwards. While he continues to rest on the couch, unmoving, I loiter nearby, not sure if I should leave him be or if I should stay and keep him company. I still haven't received an explanation on why he's here. 

After some time, I started to walk out of the room, assuming that he's probably sleeping over. He stops me though.

"Seokjin?"

"Hmm?"

His eyes open, still hazy with sleepiness. They look up at the ceiling rather than at me.

"You know, you've been a bit different lately."

I immediately frown at that. It's not that I'm upset, but it's because Namjoon said something similar too when I spoke to him the other Day.

"How so?"

For a brief moment, Yoongi doesn't say anything and continues to not move. I can see the gears, almost hear them in his head working to come up with what he wants to say without it possibly rubbing me the wrong way.

"You've been very independent." He starts with a neutral statement. "You haven't been around much lately. Maybe Hoseok already told you this but I've been noticing it too."

I take a couple steps forward, closer to the couch where Yoongi is, already feeling apologetic. "I guess that's true. Sorry about that. I've just been enjoying some time by myself, that's all."

His eyes flicks over to me.

Suddenly, I tense up. I hope it's not too visible but honestly, it's Yoongi. Is he trying to interrogate me? If it were Hoseok poking at me with questions, I'd be more at ease but it seems that even here, Yoongi is not likely playing around or just casually asking either.

He's one of my best friends. I've looked at him in the eye before. What made me nervous is the way he's looking at me now. I've never seen him that way, couldn't even imagine the look on his face before. 

It's such a subtle look, the way his eyes somewhat overshadowed the rest of his expression. Maybe his brows are also a little bit scrunched, just slightly, into a skeptical frown.

Almost as if the trust between us is beginning to waver.

Yoongi's eyes narrow.

 

"Really?"