Chapter 6

Not Meant To Be: Eclipse

The usual buzzing of the town has Taehyung turning his head in every direction.

We walk side by side, strolling down a path I'm far too familiar with. What is simply part of my routine is a whole new world for him.

Although Taehyung's identity is unknown to everybody but me, I feel that it's safer to distance us from the townsfolk.

Tugging at his sleeve, I motioned for us to enter a narrow alley, with me leading the way. We didn't talk much during our little trip. Knowing how different Night and Day are, I left Taehyung to absorb his new environment silently.

~~

Our first stop was my favorite hill, where I'd sometimes stay with Yoongi and Hoseok. I haven't been here for a while though due to my more frequent visits to the border instead.

A quiet yawn comes from next to me.

"I think you're confused, Taehyung," I said as he groggily smacks his lips. "You're suppose to be tired after we get to the top of this hill."

He gawks at the said hill, judging it. "No offense, but what's so special about this place? There's hills in Night too, y'know."

I shake my head, "I know that. But here is where my dream really began. This is where I wonder what lies behind Day. If I wasn't so curious, I would have never met you." I take his hand, preventing him from not participating. "Besides, you said that we can go anywhere."

Taehyung trudges alongside me. "You got me there..."

So when we do get to the top, the first ones there too, I take in the beautiful view, along with exhausted breaths. From here, I'm reminded of how I'd admire Night from afar, like a secret admirer.

"Huh, I guess you're right. It is nice up here," Taehyung agrees, looking out into the distance. 

I smile. With my friends constantly warning me about being too deep in dreamland here, it's nice to finally have someone know what it's like to feel this.

"Wow! The clouds are bigger here," he exclaims, pointing up at the large puffs above us. While he's still enjoying the clouds, I walk over to the tree nearby and sit there. After watching Taehyung spinning in circles far too many times, I call him over before he accidentally spins himself down the hill.

Plopping down next to me, he combs his hand through the grass distractingly. "What do you do while you're here?"

"Nothing. It's just peaceful," I answered, then admit, "Whenever I look over at Night, I do let my imagination take me elsewhere."

"Looks like it not just imagination now," Taehyung stated.

I nod because it's true. The evidence is sitting here with me.

Taehyung uncrossed his legs so that one laid flat in front of him and the other bent, allowing him to rest an arm on his knee. He leaned back until he's against the tree.

"Hey. Do you think about anything else here besides Night?"

I tilt my head, thinking about it for a moment.

"Like what?"

"Like a person," he suggested and maybe I imagined this too, but he scoots closer, just a teeny bit.

I didn't get what he's trying to get out of me, but I did remember something.

"Um.." I began, unsure if it'd be okay to tell him. More like I'm unsure whether he'd tease me about it or not. "It's not that I think about a specific 'someone,' but..."

I recall an old question I used to ask myself.

"Taehyung, do you believe in soulmates?"

When I looked at him, there's a spark in his eyes. "You mean people who are destined to be together?"

"Yes, people who are compatible with each other. People who are-"

"Meant to be?"

He finished my sentence with some eagerness. I tried to study his face but couldn't read anything.

"Is it just me, or are you trying to tell me something?" I asked.

He notices the closeness between us and moves back, clearing his throat. "No. I just... I believe in soulmates too."

"So you must wonder about who your soulmate could be then?"

Lately, with Taehyung on my mind, I haven't been wondering about where this soulmate of mine could be or how they would be and look like. It's only now that I began to think about it again.

"Not really," he said, lowly. He turns away almost in a secretive manner, like there's something to hide from me. "I think I may have met my soulmate already."

I was definitely surprised. At the same time, I still don't know what Taehyung's life is like when I'm not with him, so it's somewhat expected. And seeing that he's become bashful again, I resisted the urge to bombard him with embarrassing questions, just because the poor boy was starting to blush furiously the more I look at him.

"Lucky you," I said, deciding to end the topic at that despite my curiosity. Just this time though.

But just as I was going to look away, Taehyung smiled, not at me but to himself.

"What's so funny?"

"Nothing," he merely said while biting his lips in an attempt to stop the said smile. "Lucky me."

~~

After spending some time simply sightseeing from the top of the hill, Taehyung spotted a "gold" clearing not far away and wanted us to give it a visit. There's other places way more entertaining but he's stubborn and I couldn't say no.

So here we are, almost there with our burning legs. From the hill, it did not look this far. At least Taehyung's excitement is still pouring.

"What did you say was here again?" he asked, skipping ahead of me.

I'm actually not sure myself because the clearing is nothing special. I've walked passed it multiple times, but never through it. I never needed to. 

"Probably wild plants."

"Flowers?"

"Assuming you called it a gold clearing, most likely." I look behind me, mentally checking when we'd have to return home. When I turned forward again, Taehyung is gone, probably in the field by now. I fasten my pace to catch up anyway.

When the clearing comes into view, I stopped in my tracks. Taehyung must have had the same reaction as me, because he's still as well.

"Wow," I breathe out.

In the clearing, dozens- no, hundreds of flowers lay out in front of us. Taehyung was right. We are in a field of gold.

I've never seen these vibrant colored flowers before. And they're pretty large too, reaching up to my shoulders, the big pistol surrounded by bright yellow petals.

"Seokjin, what are these flowers?"

The question breaks my short trance. Taehyung is turned to me, still amazed by the view.

"These?" I walk up to one, observing it. "I don't know. I've never seen them before."

Taehyung follows, bending slightly to look closer. "So is this a new type then?"

"Must be."

"They're so pretty."

It's so odd. How did I not see these before? Even if they were a new kind of flower, it must've taken some time for them to grow. I didn't notice then. But again, I was less interested in Day anyway back then. 

Day people must not know about these either since I don't see any in town or anywhere else. Maybe because common wildflowers usually grew here, nobody took notice, like me. That, or nobody cared.

"Let's go in!" Taehyung exclaims excitedly, taking my hand and pulling me into the field.

I protest, a bit wary since we hardly know anything about the flowers. "Hold on! Hold on. We don't know if it's safe enough."

Taehyung looks at me incredulously. "Really? They're flowers. What's so harmful, hmm?"

I glance at a flower to my right. It danced innocently in the wind, the petals waving hello.

There's no thorns, and judging from how me and Taehyung are already surrounded by the tall plants, chances of them being poisonous are low.

I give up after seeing no visible danger. "Alright. The flowers are fine."

Taehyung cheers happily, and pulls me deeper, into the heart of the clearing. Though crowded, the flowers seem to make way for us, brushing our legs and arms.

We come to a stop.

As I look around again, it seems like the gold flowers go on forever in all directions. I can't make out which way we came from the more I spin around. Only the rustling of leaves and occasional wind fill the silence, any signs of people absent.

But I don't feel lost.

The kind hand holding me proves that.

Gazing up to the person who possess that hand, I can't help but smile. He does the same, however, there is fondness in his expression. The tender curve of his lips, the gentle glow in his eyes...

My heart pounds.

Why?
 

Maybe the flowers are poisonous after all, it's sweet scent constricting my chest, making it briefly harder to breathe. Yes, the striking yellow of the flowers caused the red fire that spreads to my neck, cheeks, and ears. It's the flowers' fault that the drumming in my ribs don't stop, intensifying as he comes closer, our noses almost touching.

Strangely, I like the effect the flowers gave me, I like how he looked at me. 

I lose balance for a second.

As if on instinct, Taehyung reacts.

I find myself wrapped in his arms. It's a bit awkward since I'm bigger in size. Taehyung held his ground.

"Are you okay?"

I almost didn't hear him. Everything's hazy, so I removed myself from the limbs holding me up.

It was then that I feel embarrassed.

It dawned on me that flowers are not poisonous.

Did Taehyung see my weird expressions? I didn't mean anything by it. I don't know why I was like that.

"I'm fine. I spun too much and got dizzy," I say as an excuse.

Taehyung chuckles, his voice smooth and warm. I tilt my head in confusion as he takes a couple steps back until there were more than enough flowers in between us. 

Then, he holds his arms out, palms bare, like he's welcoming the world with a hug, like he's a bird spreading his wings. The smile stays on his face as his eyes close, and I find it so enchanting how well Taehyung fits in with the scenery. It is like he is one of the flowers, hair swaying lightly in tune with them. 

"What are you doing?" I ask loud enough for him to hear but not enough to startle him out of his relaxed state. 

Eyes still closed, Taehyung takes a long inhale, which transforms into a big yawn. "Just taking it all in. Appreciating Day. And you, of course."

I rolled my eyes, at the last minute addition. 

"Well once you're done 'taking it all in,' we can finally go to our next destination," I say. With Taehyung peacefully enjoying the air, surrounding, everything, I busy myself with observing the flowers again. What else can I do, with flowers being the only thing around?

A particular one caught my eye. There was no reason, I just happened to zone in on it, choosing it as the one I will inspect up close. With my face close to the yellow flower, I take in the small details. Like Taehyung had already established, they're pretty, but all flowers are. It looks different from the ones I've seen before, but in the end, it's only a flower. I do not think that there's anything special about them.

The flower tilts to the left, turning just the slightest. Was there a breeze? I didn't feel anything.

I reached to touch the petals, to feel the silkiness in between my fingers.

It turns more, facing away from me and more to the left.

"What..." I leaned back, releasing the flower all at once. I raise my hand up, just leveled to my shoulder. There is no wind against the palm or back of my hand.

The flower next to the one I was originally observing began to turn too. And then the one next to it. And the next one. And another one.

I wasn't sure how to feel. Confused at most. Never have I ever seen anything like it. All of the flowers move in sync, as if they all have a mind of their own, seeming as if they are all following something.

"Seokjin! Come over here!"

Taehyung's voice attracted my attention. He's moved a bit further ahead.

"You come over here!" I say loudly across the distance between us. It's been a while since we've arrived here, I think we've spent enough time here.

Taehyung listens, walking back to me through the flowers. Again, I'm enthralled to see him here, in Day, looking so natural in the moment. The flowers all around him are moving, so pleasant in their movement.

"Huh?" I realized what I had pictured in my thought, and focused on the flowers. "Moving?"

Taehyung paused in his steps to adjust his shirt. The flowers paused as well.

They were following Taehyung.

"What's going on? Why are you making that face?" the said boy asked once he reached me, standing by my side.

"Taehyung, look around you."

I did as well, scanning the entire scene.

Standing from the very center of the field, I can see that every one of the flowers are facing our direction, specifically Taehyung. 

It was absolutely astonishing.

"Woah." Taehyung breathed out softly. 

"Why are the flowers doing that? They are all moving in the same direction you are," I tell him, turning a flower away with my hand only to let it go and see it turn back to the Night boy. Ah, maybe that's it. Maybe it's because he's from Night, though it still doesn't explain it clearly.

"Are they?" 

Taehyung is now fully aware, testing it out by walking away from me, eyeing the plants' movement. A big smile forms and he starts to sprint around.

I laugh, seeing that the flowers can't keep up, they're fairly slow, but Taehyung continues to run anyway.

"Wait! Taehyung, you're going too far!" I yelled out to him, just to make sure that he doesn't wander out of view.

From the distance, "You better keep up with me! I'm still excited to see the rest of our adventure!"

Seeing that he's straying further and further away, I groan, disliking the foreshadowing of my sore muscles.

My legs begin their trek anyway and I run pass the gold flowers. Just like them, my eyes are set on him, his happy form already waiting at the edge of the field, staring back at me. 

A warm hand outstretched for me.

~~

After several activities such as kite flying (Taehyung's better at it than I am) and strawberry picking, I decided that it's time to head home. I'm so happy to see Taehyung have so much fun and despite being so excited about it all, I can see that he needs to rest soon too, catching the few instances of his exhaustion.

We've arrived back to my home and ate our meal since it is getting close for Day to sleep. Before the bells ring though, Taehyung and I found ourselves sitting on the rooftop again, enjoying the stillness now. Unlike the times before where he effortlessly climbed his way from my bedroom window onto the roof, his arms wobble slightly more, straining as he pulls himself up to accompany me.

It doesn't take long before his eyes are closed again, my guess is that it's too bright up here, but this time, he doesn't look bothered. He did complain about the heat though, something about not liking the stickiness of his skin. The bandages have come off since the Day before, revealing his full face again, allowing me to admire the sharp features I often envy.

"Thank you, Seokjin."

I smile when his eyes open slightly, looking at me with a similar smile. Warm. 

"I know you were worried about me being here," he continues, shifting to turn toward me more. "I really mean when I say that I appreciate it, you taking me out to explore your world."

He didn't need to repeat it, I believe him. The way he looked today is something I'd never want to forget. Although Taehyung is in general a fun and spirited person, I have never seen him so radiant. It was breathtaking.

"I'm glad you like it here," I respond, pulling in my legs until I can rest my head on my knees, also feeling the tiredness from our long fun settling in. "I'm glad to see you so happy."

Taehyung's smile stays present as he looks away for a moment, as if briefly thinking about something first before saying it out loud. 

"What is it?"

Our eyes catch each other again. I expected him to grin, but his smile stays composed and gentle.

"Maybe I can show you the things I love in Night too."

I chuckled. There really is no point in getting upset anymore. "Sure, we can figure out how to do that and then it'll be your turn to enlighten me," I reply back. Truthfully, we should stay cautious, at least a tiny bit, but for me to decline it, reject the idea, is simply not that easy anymore.

"Really?" his face stayed controlled but it's his voice, raising in pitch and giving away his delight. He must have expected me to say no.

"Really," I confirmed. "But we still have to be careful. You're my friend, I want to see you and Night but I don't want anything bad to happen to you."

He takes a firm hold of my hand, our fingers intertwining. With an equally firm expression, as if to let me know he's serious, "Don't worry. I can handle myself and I'll make sure nothing happens to you. You've taken care of me, I'll protect you."

And there it is again. I don't know why he has this effect on me, making me feel all embarrassed and flush within seconds. Maybe it's the way he words his thoughts, or how his deep voice sounds like when he says it, or the way he gazes at me.

I flinched a bit, realizing that his finger is now on my ear, tracing it's perimeter and careful not to press hard.

"Why is your ear so red?"

I sputtered at the question, unsure how to answer because even I'm not completely sure myself.

There's no need to come up with an answer, the focus shifting when I suddenly hear Taehyung gasp softly, his finger retreating.

"Seokjin, your hair," he points, his movement subtle.

My ear, my hair, what about them?

"There's something on your hair," he says, still gentle, and most importantly, in awe. "It's like a flower, but alive."

At the description, I can't say that I felt entirely calm, "Um, should I be worried?" I began shifting but he stops me, saying that I'll scare the little thing.

So we sit quietly, Taehyung being infatuated with whatever is on my head, his mouth agape like a little child. I can only sit still to allow him to do so.

"You're beautiful."

Although thrown out of nowhere, the words calmed me down because if Taehyung is complimenting whatever creature is on top of my head, it must not be something I'd likely be afraid of.

"Seokjin, you're so beautiful right now. It's sitting on your hair, right above your ear."

"Taehyung, just what exactly is on my hair?"

Just as I said that, the little creature descends onto my knees. Seeing it winged and lively, I sigh heavily as the anxiety left.

"Taehyung, it's a butterfly."

"Butterfly?" he echoes. 

I laugh, the relief showing as I nod. "Yes, I thought it was going to be something else. You scared me."

Taehyung laughs along with me, eyes mostly trained on the butterfly. It's blue, decorated with black lines. 

"I've never seen these before. I wouldn't know what to call it."

"You don't have butterflies in Night?" I asked. He shakes his head. 

That was a bit interesting since I've seen some animals cross the border without any problems. Maybe butterflies just prefer Day.

Taehyung tries to touch it, or get his finger as close as he can anyway. He reacts delicately, making it known that he does not want to cause harm. However, the butterfly takes off, fluttering away until the both of us can't see it anymore.

~~

The next Day, I was thinking about what Taehyung and I should do. I stare at the pale walls in thought, drumming my fingers on the table's surface as I wonder if we should go out again. With both of us present, it's unlikely that we'd run out of ideas. 

Blinking at the blank walls, my brows scrunching in realization at its plainness while also recognizing its familiarity, I consider otherwise too. Maybe we can just stay home. 

The table is already set with food, now covered as I wait for Taehyung to wake up. He's sleeping in way later than usual, the bell ringing quite some time ago. It's probably last Day's events that has him so tired out.

However, a little more time goes by and I'm questioning if I should go check on him. There's an itch to leave my seat but on a second thought, I wouldn't want to wake him up and interrupt his dreams. So my attention returns to the table and walls.

My fingers are drumming, drumming, drumming...

*Thud!*

The loud sound from upstairs startled me in the quietness of the kitchen but the silence afterwards is what makes me stand up from the chair instantly. I make my way up the stairs, heading for my bedroom where he lays. When I opened the door, my bed is empty. 

"Taehyung?" I called out, worried. 

"Jin..."

A weak voice comes from the other side of the bed. On the other side, I see Taehyung on the ground, tangled in the bedsheet.

"Taehyung!" Without another second wasted, I immediately kneeled down to his side, already helping him up. One of his arm drape over my shoulder; there's barely any strength in it. He's sweating profusely, eyes half-lidded as he pants quietly. 

"What happened? Did you fall off?" I asked, masking my distress as much as possible while lifting him back onto the bed.

He pulls at his shirt, tugging the cloth at the chest irritably. "It's hot. I don't know why, Jin. It's really hot."

Still? He's said that before we went to bed the Day before but he was whiny about it then. Now, it seems like he's sick. 

"It's alright. Tae, you're going to be alright," I tell him, removing the blankets from the bed. "Are you hurt anywhere?"

He could only shake his head. 

I left briefly to get him some water, which he downed quickly upon my return. He's even removed his shirt, ridding the layer but not the heat, and I just can't understand what's going on. He's burning up and his body is extremely warm.




 

Some time later, he quiets down significantly, still sweating. I have tried whatever I could come up with to lower his temperature but they are barely effective. Pacing around the room, I try to figure out what could possibly be wrong. Taehyung's been here for Days now, he seemed fine until now. 

I paused. Was it the yellow flowers? Why am I not sick then? It was the first time I was exposed to them too.

Was it anything he ate? Did I serve him anything bad? It can't be, all of the food I get are fresh.

A groan comes from the bed and I hurry over, asking Taehyung what I can do for him, grabbing whatever was in reach to fan him.










 

The bells are going to ring any time now and Taehyung is so, so tired. I'm still fanning him, my arms sore but it doesn't matter when Taehyung is still feeling ill. What does matter anyway? I'm uselessly fanning, it seems like I can't do anything for him. While I pace and fret pointlessly, Taehyung's condition is only worsening. Seeing his state, sweat covering every inch of his fatigue body, his hair matted, his breathing coming out in short puffs... 

I couldn't stop the tears from spilling out.

We were having the best time the Day before, Taehyung was smiling, laughing, running. He's suddenly sick and I really don't know what to do. Even if I risked finding someone to help, it's futile. No one hardly got sick here; they'd be as clueless as I am. 

I go over all the things I tried once more despite knowing that they don't work. Everything I could to cool him down, none of them are enough. How can I cool him down, just get his body to cool down?

 

Shiver.

 

My fanning stop, the memory in my head resurfacing.

My arms were wrapped around myself.

"Taehyung!" I alerted him. His eyes open again to look at me, just briefly. I hold his face, my other hand brushing through his hair. "You're going to be okay!"

My lips quiver as he tries to say something back, but his lips could barely move.

"I promise."

~~

The bells have already rung. The town is far behind me, silent and still.

I've just reached the woods, leaning against a tree to catch my breath. Making sure that the package in my grip was still there, I adjust my hold on Taehyung's legs. I carried him on my back, feeling his fingers clutching my shirt as much as they could.

"We're almost there. Please hang on," I whispered to him.

It's been a while but I how can I ever forget the way to our place? How can I ever forget our first meeting, actions tentative despite wandering dangerously close to the invisible wall? We'll be okay there, there won't be anyone there.

Hearing the familiar rush of water urged me to fasten my pace, eager to see the border more than ever.

And it comes into view, the darkness of the other side reminding me of the cold that comes with it, cold that Taehyung needs very much.

Crossing the small body of water, I trespass into the forbidden territory without any hesitation.

It is only when we're back on land that I stopped carrying Taehyung, sliding him off my back and onto the unblemished ground.

I hold him in my arms, crying as I apologized over and over. I didn't know. I wish for him to be okay.

His hand comes up to caress my face. I leaned into the touch, selfishly reveling in its comfort while staining his hands with my tears. Through the blur, I can see the slightest of his smile.

"Don't cry, Seokjin. I'll be better."

I only hug him tighter. If only I had knew earlier. I would've sent Taehyung back as soon I as could.

"It's my fault! I-"

 

"Taehyung?"

Another voice. Not mine, and certainly not Taehyung's. Unrecognizable.

Bewildered at the third voice, my head whips up at the person, arms securing Taehyung firmly. Someone is standing not far away. Despite being high on alert, I couldn't help but feel taken aback as they step out of the shadows of the trees because...

 

It's another boy.

 

Not a knight, but a boy like Taehyung.

 

No one is suppose to be here.

 

I could barely make out his face when he's rushing over to us.

"S-stop!" I cried, shouted as the boy puts his hands on Taehyung, already tugging him away from me. I repeat, louder, "I said stop! You're going to hurt him!"

"Shut up!" he hisses back. "Do you want us to be found?"

It's then that I quiet down, the sobs being suppressed into small whimpers. The boy glances at Taehyung again, his hand feeling his forehead.

Taking the opportunity to look at him clearly, I can see that he's smaller than Taehyung. Shorter and skinnier. His hair brown, almost as dark as Taehyung's, the main difference being that his looks more tamed. However, unlike Taehyung, he has no visible evidence of any injuries, his skin pale and innocent to physical violence.

"I have to take him back," he says, looking up at me. There's nothing in his eyes that scream 'danger,' but I still don't know who he is.

As if sensing my suspicion, he explains, "I'm Jimin. I'm a friend of Taehyung's."

Jimin? Was that one of Taehyung's best friends? 

Looking down at him, he nods at me, letting me know that this is not someone dangerous.

"Please, let me take him back," he says sternly yet non-threatening. "It's better if he's farther away from the border."

Without waiting for my response, Jimin is already moving Taehyung out of my hold. I let him, watching the small boy heave his friend onto his back with no assistance. For someone so thin, he's surprisingly sturdy.

I stand up, leaning down to look at Taehyung's face, resting my hand on his head.

"I'm sorry, Taehyung."

There's no time for me to say anything else with Jimin already striding away without another word.

"Hold on!"

Jimin halts, turning back to stare at me.

I picked up the package, wrapped in a cloth sheet before holding it out to Jimin.

Again, he only stares at me.

"Please take it," I begged but the boy looks unconvinced. I explain, "It's only food." Even so, his eyes doesn't falter; he's not even interested despite his thin form giving away his need of it.

"How can I trust a Day person like you?" Jimin says curtly. He walks away without another care, his back turned as I'm left standing in the same spot, temporarily stunned from the insinuation of his rhetorical question.

 

 

"Taehyung trusts me."

The quiet crunch of the ground pauses, Jimin stopping in his tracks. A part of me is surprised that I am able to even stop him once more. This time, it takes him a while to turn back and look at me. When he does, there's no softness in his expression but I can tell he's now considering.

Is there a reason not to trust a Day person, even for someone as plain and common as me? In the moment, I couldn't fathom why an idea like that would come to be; Day people are peaceful. Trying to see from Jimin's perspective, it's probably something I can never understand, something he wouldn't waste the time and energy to explain.

Whatever it is, I can't deny Taehyung's trust, his sincere friendship. I've never seen him as anything threatening, a menace, because it's simply not who he is. With how comforting each of his actions are, tender and fond, I know that I care deeply for him. 

I step forward, putting the wrapped packaged into one of his hands. "For Taehyung, you, and your other friend," I make sure to include Taehyung's other best friend.

Jimin tightens his fingers around the cloth of the packaged, finally accepting it. Still, with a hard expression, he clarifies, "Just for Taehyung. We won't be taking your food." 

What else can I say? At least he's taking the package. Jimin seems like he's in a rush and I shouldn't stall him any longer for Taehyung's sake. I take one last look at him. He's finally fallen asleep, the natural coolness already easing him.

"You know this is wrong. Do yourself a favor and stop coming here. We all know that there's no happy ending to this."

With his last message, Jimin carries his friend away. So Taehyung returns, deeper into the woods, deeper into Night, where he should remain. With a shaky exhale, I trudge back across the stream, back to Day, where I belong. 

Sitting on the ground, I face the border, staring into the darkness I once thought was enchanting. Now served with the reminder that Taehyung and I can't possibly remain together, all that comes from the dreams of seeing Night are more tears that stings.

Eventually, the crying stops, body unable to produce any more droplets or weeps to the nature witnessing my anguish. The ache in my chest is still there, but I decided that it's time to retreat, forcing myself to not look back. 

I better go home. Better go to bed. Better go to sleep.

Better wait for the bells to ring.