Chapter 4

Not Meant To Be: Eclipse

My body flinched back, realizing what I had done. I touched my hand and arm, checking to see if there was any physical damage. Expecting some kind of burn or mark or redness, I was slightly surprised when there wasn't anything left behind from the skin contact.

Connections between people of day and night are banned, forbidden, for it could be dangerous. Although it was never officially stated, I guess I automatically assumed it was because some magical force would occur if individuals of each side participated in any physical touches, even the smallest and slightest ones.

Taehyung, however, reaches for me again. He must have interpreted this as harmless. For me, I didn't want us to touch again, fearing that someone in hiding will see. I see his large hands extend into the day side, passing through the border. It almost looked like the skin of his hand and a bit of his forearm glowed as he emerged out of the dark and into the different lighting. He reached outwards only enough... enough to hold my hand again.

I want to pull away... right?

My eyes dart to Taehyung's face quickly, wondering what he is up to. From the looks of it, it seems that he is simply examining his own hand in the light of day. Seeing our hands connected, it's easy to say that Taehyung is still a bit tanner than me.

Curious too, my fingers move around his, noticing that his large palm is firm and tough. It astonished me because he's younger yet after comparing my hand with his, it clear to say that he must have worked way more than I ever did in my current life.

"Your hand feels like a baby's skin," Taehyung laughs quietly. He got over the shock of trespassing before I did, bringing his other hand to feel more of my hand. His touch burned me, not my hand, but my face. I blushed not just from his interest in me, but from embarrassment at the baby comment. I must have made myself look like some lazy fool living in paradise.

Before I knew it, Taehyung is pulling my hand towards him. I've already broke a rule. I didn't think that I'd feel this guilty. So I wriggled my hand away from his grasp.

"Taehyung," I began. "You know the rule. The both of us do." Alert, I scanned the area around us. "No one is here besides us, but what about when there is? We'd both be punished for sure."

I've never been scared; I've always managed to sneak to this place and be so close to the other side but why is it that in this moment, the moment I touch a night person, I am so frightened of what will happen?

This doesn't bother Taehyung as much as I wanted it to. His hands retreat back to his sides slowly, dejectedly. "But I want to explore your world."

I couldn't muster any words after hearing that. 

In the end, Taehyung is just like me. Another person who just wants to peek into the other side, see what lies over there. And he knows it all too well.

"Seokjin, we've only just met not too long ago but... you must want to see what night is like too."

I shook my head in denial. "No! I mean, yes I'm curious but I have no intention to cross the border. As much as I want to, I can't fall into temptation. I made promises already."

"I don't know what promise you made, but I'm pretty sure that you broke it the moment you and I touched each other," Taehyung says. He looked sad when I don't respond. "Aren't you excited? We're probably the first people to do this."

"And we will not be the first ones to be punished!" I say firmly to him. We could lose our lives. I finally felt like I understand Yoongi, realize that what I'm doing could really hurt myself and worse, Taehyung. Bringing this upon myself is something I could bear, but if my actions hurt someone else, my soul would be forever tortured and unforgiving.

"What are you talking about?" Taehyung asked. I thought he was not taking this matter seriously until I saw that he really is confused by what I said. "I get the punishment part, but I don't understand. There are others?"

I paused. That book I had before came from the night side. Shouldn't that mean that they, including Taehyung, would know about the origin of the stars?

"How do you not know? There's a man from The Night, who crossed over and his soul is scattered into stars. The ones right above you," I point up, over his head.

Still, Taehyung looked at me funny. "I think you misunderstood some facts." He stares at me, but I don't know what he wanted me to say. Maybe he thinks I was making a joke. He didn't seem convinced at all.

"What do you mean? It's all said in the book from here. So far, it's been accurate and truthful. Like the labor-" I cut myself off, remembering that where Taehyung worked isn't all nice and friendly.

With a shrug, he said, "You might have read something, but... um, the 'star man' is not real. I hate to break it to you, but that is just an old legend. You know, those stories are to scare little kids so they don't get all curious and trespass."

It was quiet after that. I didn't say anything back, only stared at him, doubting myself. The book I read stated facts. But thinking about it now, how is it physically possible for such a thing to happen, turning a person into stars?

"Hmmm," I hummed after not being able to explain anything. It's really not possible. "I... I guess I didn't know."

I felt disappointed because I thought I may have had something that could relate to the barrier of these two worlds. If the star man was real and was punished for trespassing, it would have implied and supported that there is a reason, possibly a secret, that is being kept away from everyone. But if the star man is not real at all like Taehyung had said, then what's the point? Why the separation?

"Hey," Taehyung's voice shakes me out of my thoughts. "Let's eat some pie instead. We need some sweetness."

He begins walking forward to pick up the apple pies, but I wouldn't let it happen. I quickly pressed my hands against his chest, stopping him from entering The Day.

We looked at each other in the eye, and my message went through to him.

He steps back. "Alright. I'm sorry for upsetting you. I'll stay here... for now."

That was the best answer I could get for now, so I turned my back, looking over my shoulder once just to make sure that Taehyung is still in his place.

And the rest went like normal. We eat, relaxed, talked. We avoided going back to the subject of trespassing, as it can ruin the mood again.

Occasionally, I would see the way Taehyung stares at the soft blue sky that spreads above me. It was strange to me how intense his gaze was, piercing into the white clouds, yet it was extremely gentle...

Almost as if he was in love with the bright world I live in.

~~

The neon purple light shone in my hands. It was extremely bright at first, but Taehyung dimmed it down a bit.

We're together in a clearing with grass long enough to bend over in bundles, cushioning us when we first sat down. There are now more than one place for us to spend time together. However, the border is still separating us.

"You made this?!" I exclaimed. I was surprised that Taehyung is able to make something so pretty like this. "That's incredible..."

He shrugs shyly, eyes glancing at the ground. "Yeah. I make lights," he simply said as he twirled the grass around his fingers.

I remembered how there's so many neon lights over there. They hung mostly on buildings, from what I could see. And one's currently in my hands, shaped like a wand.

Over time, I became closer to Taehyung and we've become good friends. I've showed him things from where I lived, showed him games that I've played with Hoseok and Yoongi, and shared stories of my joy. Even so, I couldn't find it in me to ask more about his life, so actually being able to see one of his works is pretty amazing.

"You can have it," Taehyung says when I gave it back to him. He hands it back but I couldn't take it.

"Oh no, I couldn't," I said, and immediately regretted saying no after seeing Taehyung's smile falter unconsciously.

"Seokjin, if you're worried about being caught with it-"

"It's not just that," I stopped him.

Lately, each time I would come to visit Taehyung, my eyes would automatically skim over the boy's body, his skin that isn't covered by his clothes. Lately, I haven't seen an injury anywhere, which sends me a wave of relief.

"I would love to accept your light stick, but the thing is, I don't want you to get in trouble," I explained.

"I won't get in trouble."

"I can't trust that," I said hesitantly.

He taps my hand with the light stick. "It's an extra, nothing is going to happen. I'll prove it."

I watched, a bit puzzled, when Taehyung sits back, holding each end of the light.

"I'll break it, and nothing's going to happen," he said, and lifts his knee a little. I can see that he's going to snap the light in half once it made contact with his knee.

"Stop," I said before he can even start. I know exactly what he's doing. "You don't need to do that. I'll take it."

He grins in success and gives it to me.

I roll my eyes, "Don't think you're so smart. We both know that you were just trying to taunt me."

He laughs and rolls into his back, engulfing himself in the soft grass. "You're so serious, Seokjin. You make me feel like a kid."

"You are a kid," I said nonchalantly as I wave the light in the air, pretending to draw and write messages.

"Do you even know how old I am?" Taehyung asked, and I hear him roll again, probably onto his stomach.

I stop playing around with the light, setting it down. I realized that I was actually quite curious about Taehyung's age. From his looks, his size, plus personality...

"16 years old?"

Taehyung gapes at me. "I don't know if I should be flattered or not."

"15 years old? 14?"

"Okay, definitely not flattered right now." He sits back up, straighter than before, and he's emphasizing that. "Last guess."

I just slowly tilt my head to the side instead because the answers that he's implied just can't be true. "There is absolutely no way that you're 18."

He grins, "I guess I can take that. I'm 17, turning 18 real soon."

My jaw drops, because I still doubt him.

"You're kidding. You don't really look like your age," I said hesitantly. I knew that it must be because of his living environments.

Taehyung scoots closer to me until our knees were almost touching. He compares himself to me, a little frown falling upon his face.

"Maybe I'll have a growth spurt soon," he mutters to himself. Then, to me, "It'll be my goal to grow taller than you, Seokjin. Maybe I'll even grow broader shoulders." He puffs out his chest, raising his shoulders to mimic mines.

I scoff. "Start with your height first. Then you can start talking about surpassing my shoulder width."

Taehyung deflates and I couldn't help but smile at him. I've never seen anyone who is this active. There's Hoseok, but it's more like he's constantly excited. Taehyung, on the other hand... there's something running around in his head. And he's not afraid.

The only time I have seen Taehyung "scared" is the first time we met. No, even during that moment he wasn't afraid, just careful and prudent. So was I; it was the first time the both of us saw people of the opposite sides.

Although I would tell him that he acts like a child, looks like a child, looking at him now, he proves he isn't like that all the time. It seems that he has no worries. His face is tranquil, and his body is relaxed.

With the possibility of getting caught with Taehyung sitting at the back of my mind persistently, I'm surprised when I realize that his presence is what made me calm.

"Why are you doing that?"

I didn't realize that Taehyung was speaking to me until I saw that his eyes were on me.

"Doing what?"

He's quiet for a second. Then, the corners of Taehyung's lips tugged up just the slightest bit. "You keep staring at me. And it's not the first time," he said and this time, his smile is more visible.

I couldn't control the heat of embarrassment that rose to my cheeks. Of course I'm flustered. He caught me staring, even when I didn't mean to. But, "It's not what you think," I spoke, just barely over a whisper and partly a grumble.

"I didn't catch that," he said and I can see that this is amusing to him.

"I said that it's not what you think," I said louder, and thankfully, I could feel the blush fading. "I admit, I was staring... but not because... because..." I just let silence filled the rest of my sentence because I assume Taehyung knows what I'm implying.

My assumption could be correct, as he seemed to quickly let the subject go and yawns.

"You're tired already?" I asked. I guess that's what happens when one spew out too much energy.

Taehyung nods, "Well, yeah. Weren't you also tired when we first met? You technically get no sleep, being awake during awake time then here to meet me during sleeping time. Then we switched."

I completely forgot about that. "That's right, I'm sorry I forgot. My goodness, can't Night and Day run on the same schedules? That would make things easier."

"Making things easier wouldn't be as fun though," Taehyung says before yawning again. "Look at us! We're so risky. We're so sneaky. It's fun, right?"

I turn my back to him to pack up my things, carefully tucking the purple light stick inside my bag. "Yes, it's very fun," I say sarcastically. "But it wouldn't be so fun when the knights take us away now, would it?"

I get a yawn in return. I just closed my bag when I felt warmth on my entire back, making me freeze. Turning my head back as much as I could, I scold Taehyung, "What are you doing? Get off my back!"

Taehyung doesn't listen. Instead, his head lolls onto my shoulder. So now we're both pressed together, back to back, and Taehyung is trying to nap.

I whipped my head around us, and let out a sigh when there's no sign of anyone else. At the same time, what difference does it make? If we're seen like this, we get in trouble. Even if we weren't even touching, we would still be in trouble anyway for being way too close to the border. Speaking of...

"Oh!" I exclaimed when I noticed that I'm still hunched over, allowing Taehyung's head and the top half of his chest to pass the border and into the Day side. I sit up and made sure that most of him stays in the Night.

"Oh my..." I breathed out. Then, I scold Taehyung again. "You almost gave me a heart attack!" Taehyung shifts around, making himself comfortable. A strand of his hair tickled my ear in the process.

"Taehyung! I thought it was time to go home so you could sleep. And why did you chose my back? The grass is pretty comfy."

No response.

"Hello? Taehyung, are you really asleep?"

Soft snoring.

"Fine," I say even though he won't hear me. I got comfortable too, leaning my head on his shoulder as well, feeling some of my hair passing into Night. But it should be alright. Besides...

Our bodies fit perfectly together.

I couldn't reach any of my things to pass time without disturbing Taehyung now. I had a good sleep, but I guess taking a nap is not a bad idea either.

Staring up at the sky, actually, skies, was serene. Where they're cut off from each other is prominent, I can clearly see the invisible division.

Again, the voice in the corner of my head worries. Maybe I shouldn't sleep. I should look out for the both of us.

But Taehyung is sleeping so peacefully and I want to do the same too. I tell myself that it would be fine. No one has discovered us yet, and it doesn't seem like anyone is coming anytime soon. A little nap wouldn't hurt.

Before I know it, my eyes close and I can't tell the difference of the skies anymore.

Before I know it, my breathing becomes in sync with Taehyung's even breaths.

~~

When I awoke, I was glad that we weren't interrupted. I slept well, and even now it's comfortable. My head had moved away from Taehyung's shoulder, and instead of being back to back, we're now lying next to each other with arms around each other and my head on his chest. To make matters worse, we're both in the Day side...

...Maybe I shouldn't have taken that nap.

I should've known that this was bound to happen. I've let my guard down.

I immediately untangled myself from Taehyung, but that woke him up. 

"Seokjin... what's wrong?"

I pull him up to a sitting position despite his drowsiness. "Taehyung, you trespassed again. I must've pulled you over on accident."

He finishes rubbing his eyes. He looks around him then shook his head. "No, I think that was me."

I stared at him. Is he telling me that he's done this on his own will?

I don't have time to yell at him again, so I tell him to return. Looking up and to the left, I could see that a bell tower isn't too far from us, and I haven't heard the ringing yet. When I turned back to Taehyung, he's just gotten up.

I'm on edge again and my fingers fidget from nervousness and impatience. I take him by the arm and walk to the border. Oh, no. No, no, no-

"Seokjin, it's okay," Taehyung says as I lead into back to the other side. When he's finally back where he's supposed to be, I could finally breathe again.

"No, it's not okay," I said. I could see him sigh in disappointment. He needs to understand.

I wanted to be like him, not worrying about anything and look where it got us. If both of us continue like this, being careless, then it can cause damage as well.

"Why do you worry so much?" Taehyung asked. I could sense that he's too laid back, and also a bit irritated. "Don't you think it's becoming annoying?"

"No. I'm right to be worried. We should always be careful," I say sternly. For the first time, it's him who rolled his eyes, not me. 

"We are careful. Stop being so tense, we have more fun that way," he said and I couldn't believe it. He's being immature once again.

"Fun? How many times do I have to remind you that what we're doing is not allowed? That it's against the rules? Is having fun all you care about?" I asked.

He seemed baffled for a moment, but after a few quiet seconds, he answered, "Well, yes. But don't act like you're not guilty of being the same."

I shake my head, "I'm not the same. I'm here because I want to know more about this world-"

"Yet you can't even set foot in Night," he cuts me off. "You're not here to explore or to discover. You can't because you're too scared."

He grabs my wrist and pulls me towards him. He's smaller than me, but strong enough anyway. I dug my heels into the ground, refusing to let him pull me to his side. I realized that I had just proved his point. His eyes locked on to mines.

"Admit it, Seokjin. You're just here to be with me."

I try to pull away, but his grip tightened. Denial was my first thought but I couldn't validate it. My voice disappeared and my mouth stayed shut. He's gotten me completely paralyzed.

 

Alright.

Maybe I am scared. What if he is right?

It didn't matter anymore. I couldn't hear anything except for the ringing in my ears. Taehyung finally lets go, and I flinched back. The ringing turned out to be the bells.

I glanced back at him, and we stare at each other. He was still waiting for me to say something back to him.

With him.

He said I came here for him...

Maybe I just need some time to think, to clear my mind. I turned my back to him, using the timing as an excuse. "I'll see you tomorrow."

The bells come to a stop.
 

"Don't bother."

~~

My shoes are set aside on the dry grass. The cool water of the little stream rinse over my feet as I lean forward as much as I can to peer into the dark trees.

He's not here either.

I've checked all the places we've been to in these woods, but Taehyung hasn't shown up. It's been five sleeps already. I keep coming back to check for him, even after he said that he won't be coming. For how long? I do not know.

It must be that he's still upset.

I sigh, my shoulders slumping. I want to apologize.

After our last meeting, I had thought about what Taehyung said. I did not want to admit it at first, but he's right. I want to see him. My first intention was to seek out Night, but I guess I was fascinated with him too.

I'm a coward after all.

How do I expect to learn about Night if I'm too afraid to go there for myself? Is that being selfish? Too worried about my own self?

With no intention to stay any longer, I had no choice but to return home. Taehyung isn't here, so there is not much I could do anyway.

It's strange to hear nothing but nature around me again in these woods. Usually, Taehyung's voice would accompany them, but like I said, I haven't seen any trace of him since the last time we met.

As I walk away from the border, my attention follows the birds' song up to the top of the trees, where their nests stay undisturbed, comforted by the soft rustle of leaves.

It's been a while since I've gotten caught up in this world's beauty. To be swept away into its peacefulness, it's serenity. Usually, my appreciation would take place in my own solitude, my free time. 

Perhaps this is another indication that Taehyung has really taken over my mind for a while.

My feet paused momentarily as the name sounded once again in my head.

For him?

Or for me?

What is my purpose? Or rather, what am I trying to prove by constantly returning here?

The fluttering of wings sound over me. A flock of birds flew overhead, making the skies look like a moving picture.

I've already touched Taehyung. There was no physical harm. I didn't burn, bruise, or bleed.

The wings entered Night without hesitation, like they have been doing it since their existence.

Taehyung has said that I'm scared. But what am I scared of? Breaking the rules? Being punished? But no one even knows what happens afterwards.

Truth is, I'm scared of not knowing. However, I can simply overcome this fear by breaking into the unknown. The power of knowledge is dangerous, but it is something I think I am willing to risk. So...

Though flightless, I ran.

For Taehyung.

I've been in this invisible cage for far too long and have been tempted by this boy from Night. 

I have many desires, too many that I can't find them all in this small world. I want to be a bird.

Though wingless, I stretched my hands ahead.

The stars welcomed me as my bare feet lead myself into the dark side of the woods.

I stopped running, panting heavily. The only thing I could do was breathe.

For me.